What happened to the electric Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:48 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

It is been a long time we did not hear a word about this new blower. Any updates?
Old 07-29-2003 | 10:57 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Yeah...I thought Siggy was going to buy this???
Old 07-29-2003 | 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I spent my $$ on other stuff after my 2nd tranny went

Sorry folks... no more $$ is going into this car for performance.

$$ mostly went into a 65" HD bigscreen
Old 07-29-2003 | 11:19 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

do you know anythin about TurboAir (similar to TurboPack)?
Old 07-29-2003 | 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

No, I didn't research that product...

However I did find that a $1500 investment would get you about 2-3.5lbs of boost using the 12v turbodyne turbo. And it could be used in parallel with another electric turbo. To produce about 6-6lbs, however you would have to do some electrical upgrades with two.
Old 07-29-2003 | 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Snake oil!
Old 07-29-2003 | 01:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by ModAddict
Snake oil!

Umm no, they already are in use in vehicles all over europe. Mainly in trucks though, and are the 24v series.

Might want to do some research before saying things like this.
Old 07-29-2003 | 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's essentially a garrett turbo (not sure which model specifically)... with an electric motor driving it instead of an exhaust turbine.

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/0002honeywell.html

Looks like Saab has some interest in it too..

http://popmech.popularmechanics.com/...ne/print.phtml

http://www.engr.unl.edu/~ethanol/article9.htm
Old 07-29-2003 | 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

WTF does Snake oil mean?....

looks cool Siggy.... way to research it out.... Now we need a new sucka to run with it.... Lets see someone do it..
Old 07-29-2003 | 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was picturing a hair dryer!

I've never seen that before. That looks more like snake vennom!

Smitty, snake oil is used to cure all of your ailments, and is usually sold by a traveling gypsy.
Old 07-29-2003 | 06:49 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Ah.. Since now the CT SC would output only 3 PS or less. The Turbopac 1500 would do the same at $1500 a saving of at least $3000 over Comptech SC and this for sure a DIY on weekend.

I may be of interest to me to contact Turbodyne, have a custom prototyped on my CLS and then offer a Turbopac kit for a GB.

What do you think? anyone interested?
Old 07-29-2003 | 07:05 PM
I hate the Mets

Nash - You start it up...It cant hurt to call and get some info...Your just the man for the job
Old 07-30-2003 | 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

I understand the functioning of the supplemental systems with a full turbo vehicle where the electric motor is there to basically eliminate the boost threshold.

But this is an electric motor driving a compressor. A turbo compressor's speed is controlled by the turbine speed which is controlled by the wastegate re-routing the exhaust gases. How is the speed of this electric motor being controlled?? Is it using a variable DC voltage motor controller or a pulse width controller?? Regardless, what is the control signal source, RPM??

It can't be an on/off device always running at the same speed; it has to have a variable speed controller. Otherwise you would have say 10 PSI boost at idle and 0 boost at 7k revs, just an example.

In other words, the compressor is just a small part of this; there would be many more components.
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:16 AM
What can I get ya?

Where is fuel management coming from with this?
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by moforose3.0
Where is fuel management coming from with this?
True, a rising rate regulator would also be required at a minimum.
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

What is being mentioned in the link are units meant to supplement an existing turbo application. Not a stand alone eletric turbo:

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/0002honeywell.html

The Turbopac™ is installed between the air intake system and the turbocharger in vehicles with existing turbochargers. This new product is said to provide faster acceleration, better fuel economy, and an emission reduction.
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

According to this link it is an On/Off device only giving the extra power at WOT and not giving constant boost pressures:

The Turbopac 2500 is switched on at wide-open throttle and provides a maximum of 3.5 pounds of boost that trails off as engine speed rises.
Old 07-30-2003 | 08:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by scalbert
According to this link it is an On/Off device only giving the extra power at WOT and not giving constant boost pressures:

The Turbopac 2500 is switched on at wide-open throttle and provides a maximum of 3.5 pounds of boost that trails off as engine speed rises.
Yes, thats correct. I pictured it kinda like a N20 shot for low-mid RPMS Installation requires you put a switch on the TPS. And a few other connections. I have also heard it really only produces 2-3lbs of measurable boost. Probably need to do some fuel tweaks. I would assume it has some sort of connection to the FPR.

It's not exactly like having a regular turbo. Quite a bit different.

It was originally designed to create boost at low RPMS on vehicles with exhaust driven turbos. However others are trying to use it for other applications.

Boost trails off since it would require more power to produce the same amount of boost at higher RPMS. The boost is (I assume) static it will reach a point and drop off very rapidly.

I had a chart of boost/rpm but I don't know where it is anymore... I had guessed a 20WHP+ increase from using this device. All theoretical though. (throughout the RPM band it aided)
Old 07-30-2003 | 09:01 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

so that would be great for light to light racing and off the line launches. Its not worth it for a mod that will work well only in first gear for a few rpms, then drops off once i am in v tec at high rpms when driving hard. It will be good for highway cruising and giveing extra power low in 4th and 5th gears for passing so that you dont have to downshift. It sounds good for down low driving, but once you get on the car it will drop off, and if there is something in the path of the intake or exhaust not doing anything at high rpms will we loose power
Old 07-30-2003 | 03:33 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Iam sure that it will keep a boost all across from low rpms to hi rpms.

The e-charger will spin at constant speed starting from the moment you go WOT, at any rpms!

Now at low rpms you build boost but no much cfm are needed so the excess should go through the waste gate. At hi-rpms the engine will eat most of the cfm you boosted and less air will be wasted.

Simply the boost is not depending on the rpms.

It is possible to have an intellignet controller (boost controller)that spins the turbo at variable speed to keep the cfm as a function of rpms and assuring a constant PSI boost. I think the waste gate will do just fine as well.

More or less, the e-charger is NOS-like with no bottle!
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
More or less, the e-charger is NOS-like with no bottle!
True enough, but you do have the limitions of limited amount of power to spin it. The reason it's WOT throttle only is the battery can only supply so much high current power.

The only real solution is turbo or S/C for continuous power.
Old 07-31-2003 | 04:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Iam sure that it will keep a boost all across from low rpms to hi rpms.

The e-charger will spin at constant speed starting from the moment you go WOT, at any rpms!

Now at low rpms you build boost but no much cfm are needed so the excess should go through the waste gate. At hi-rpms the engine will eat most of the cfm you boosted and less air will be wasted.

Simply the boost is not depending on the rpms.

It is possible to have an intellignet controller (boost controller)that spins the turbo at variable speed to keep the cfm as a function of rpms and assuring a constant PSI boost. I think the waste gate will do just fine as well.
A wastegate controls exhaust gas flow on a turbo.

An intelligent controller and a dump valve?? Now you have taken a simple device and made a complex and costly system for minimal gains. This is not how any of the articles mentioned it being used and something which certainly couldn't be used on a MAF equipped vehicle, not relevant in this case.

This would be a great way to get a sine wave of power output though and I wouldn't want to be the one to tune that PID loop.