What do I not need in a 60k service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do I not need in a 60k service?

So I'm going into Acura tomorrow to get my 60,000 mile service and its like $550. Can anyone let me know what probably doesn't need to be done so I can save some money by itemizing it? Where can I find a list of everything that is done in this service as well for my 03 Cl-S
Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its in the owners manual or on the Acura web site.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Back to a MT!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much the whole service... Here is what Acura recommends:

Replace engine oil. ($30 service)

Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 269 of your owner's manual. (should be free from where ever you bought your tires)

Replace engine oil filter. (part of oil change)

Inspect front and rear brakes. (does your car stop and not make noise?)

Check parking brake adjustment. (If you pull the brake and it doesn't roll your good to go)

Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots. (Really, its just looking at it)

Inspect suspension components. (Really, its just looking at it)

Inspect driveshaft boots. (Really, its just looking at it)

Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS). (Really, its just looking at it)

Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks. (Really, its just looking at it)

Inspect cooling system hoses and connections. (Really, its just looking at it)

#Inspect exhaust system.(Really, its just looking at it)

#Inspect fuel lines and connections. (Really, its just looking at it)

# = See information on maintenance and emissions warranty, last column, page 223 of your owner's manual.

Replace air cleaner element. ($12 and about 5 minutes)

Inspect and adjust drive belts. (Really, its just looking at it)

Replace dust and pollen filter. ($17 and about 15 minutes)

Overall I think most "services" are a waste of money. Now if your car doesn't sound normal or is dripping anything it would be good, but I have had good luck with my car. I'm at 109k and didn't take it in for a single service. I will be doing timing belt, AC tensioner, valve adjustment, motor mounts and a few other things soon and plan on being set (for the most part) for another 100k!!

Thats my overall $0.02 on services.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also in the same about, it's about time for my 60 k checkup. I plan on doing most of the things myself....rotate tires....dust and pollen filter (DIY), brakes were already done, and many of these you can do yourself....paying 550 dollars to the stealership is stupid, who knows if they even check these things. I would save that money and do most of the things yourself.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i say you do what you can and go to a certified mechanic, they do as good if not better work... plus everything is very doable, just have them do all the inspections
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Making it Happen

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about how to do these things for my car. Is there really no tranny flush in the 60k? I'm surprised. My gas mileage has been pretty poor even after I cleaned my cold air intake filter, so I wonder if I have a header leak, but I don't think I do. I'll prob just do oil change, parking brake adjustment, air cleaner, adjust drive belts, and replace dust and pollen filter. My A/C seems jammed because its making this swirling sound so I definitely want them to take a look at that.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about how to do these things for my car. Is there really no tranny flush in the 60k? I'm surprised. My gas mileage has been pretty poor even after I cleaned my cold air intake filter, so I wonder if I have a header leak, but I don't think I do. I'll prob just do oil change, parking brake adjustment, air cleaner, adjust drive belts, and replace dust and pollen filter. My A/C seems jammed because its making this swirling sound so I definitely want them to take a look at that.
There isnt any required tranny flush cause Acura figured you would have had to replace it by now if u had the auto
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

I would not do that in dealership. If the warranty does not cover it. I didnt do mines yet and i am on 80k now, everything works fine, except my IMRC, i got to get that fixed and i am good for the next 5+ years. I just had my tranny rebuilt too so the car is basically new to me..
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Making it Happen

Thanks for the update with the tranny flush. I've already had 3 trannys. I'll be heading to the dealership because there is no one in this area that I know and can trust. After itemizing it to just those things it shouldnt be expensive with the all those "inspections" taken out of the mix. Anyway how can I find out why my gas mileage may be poor or how to check my header for a leak without putting it on a lift.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

Check ur IMRC..
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Drive it to me I'll do it.

Really you shouldn't be scared into paying out the ass for basically a glorified oil change.
Any inspects can be done driving the car onto a set of $19 car ramps.
Just look if things are loose or leaking.
Your have a CAI so an air filter change is useless for you.
The cabin filters are VERY easy. There's a DIY someone. All you need is a box cutter & a Phillips screwdriver.
Tire rotation is iffy because no one has the original tires at 60K miles. You need to go by when you got your new tires.
Then you have your oil change. Again this is iffy if you don't follow what the dealer recommends. You need to do it based on when you got it changed last.

Also note, there is the factory recommended service from Acura, & then there's the Dealer recommend service which will usually included other items that they add to increases cost & make them $.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Drive it to me I'll do it.

Really you shouldn't be scared into paying out the ass for basically a glorified oil change.
Any inspects can be done driving the car onto a set of $19 car ramps.
Just look if things are loose or leaking.
Your have a CAI so an air filter change is useless for you.
The cabin filters are VERY easy. There's a DIY someone. All you need is a box cutter & a Phillips screwdriver.
Tire rotation is iffy because no one has the original tires at 60K miles. You need to go by when you got your new tires.
Then you have your oil change. Again this is iffy if you don't follow what the dealer recommends. You need to do it based on when you got it changed last.

Also note, there is the factory recommended service from Acura, & then there's the Dealer recommend service which will usually included other items that they add to increases cost & make them $.

Very well said Fuzzy!

Quick question though, the DIY on this forum is for a TL. Is the exact same steps on a CL, just wanted to confirm. Also I brought the car with tires pretty much brand new, which should I rotate my tires, other then that, I totally agree with you saying that taking it to the stealership is just their way of making money
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If the tires were pretty new, I'd pick a change interval. Either 5K or 7250 or 10K miles. Then keep track of what mileage you had at the time you got the car & go from that point. Rotation depends on the type of tires & how you drive. The DIY for the cabin filters is the same for the 01-03 TL & CL.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
If the tires were pretty new, I'd pick a change interval. Either 5K or 7250 or 10K miles. Then keep track of what mileage you had at the time you got the car & go from that point. Rotation depends on the type of tires & how you drive. The DIY for the cabin filters is the same for the 01-03 TL & CL.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I found my weekend project. I've driven mostly highway miles so I'm going with the 10k interval and will rotate my tires then. I actually redid my installation of the intake to the CAI, taking out everything was a pain, but now it works and sounds beautifully, so I'm happy. Have a good one.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
don't forget to have your tires balanced at some point.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
re: Really, its just looking at it

. . . and they probably do these things for free every time the car is at the dealer, for whatever reason. They look for something to fix.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:53 PM
2003 CL-S 6SPD

My car is in the dealship today and i asked about a tune up and such, he said dont worry about it too much cause tune ups are passe. All they do is change the plugs, change out the liquids and then just visually inspect to see if they have to fix anything thats noticeably damaged.