What to do about wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
What to do about wheel hop

When I was at the track my wheels hopped each time I launched. Anywhere from 1800-2000rpm. Tires were around 23psi.

Why does wheel hop occur compared to wheel spin? Is there a way to avoid it/get rid of it completely?

I still had good 60ft times 2.1-2.2 seconds.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done some experimenting with wheel hop cures. I filled my motor mounts with urethane and also filled the radius rods with urethane. It didn't totally eliminate the hop but it did reduce it quite a bit.
This is my take on how wheel hop occurs on our cars. When you load the suspension the soft bushings compress. When they reach the end of thier travel the tires break loose. Then the tension on the bushings releases and the tires grab because the soft bushings are again absorbing some of the power. Then they "bottom out" again and the tires break loose and the tension on the bushings realeases again allowing the tires to bite etc. etc. hop, hop, hop. The cure is to get the suspension solidly mounted in the lateral direction. There are radius rod kits that do this for Civics and Integras. THey actually preload the suspension so there is no give when you accelerate. I will probably do something else with this in the future but I'm not sure what to try next. One side effect of filling the radius rod bushings is that the front end bites much better in corners. The stiffer bushings must be keeping the lower arm located more solidly. They still have enough flex to allow some hop if you really dump the clutch.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by ChadT
I've done some experimenting with wheel hop cures. I filled my motor mounts with urethane and also filled the radius rods with urethane. It didn't totally eliminate the hop but it did reduce it quite a bit.
This is my take on how wheel hop occurs on our cars. When you load the suspension the soft bushings compress. When they reach the end of thier travel the tires break loose. Then the tension on the bushings releases and the tires grab because the soft bushings are again absorbing some of the power. Then they "bottom out" again and the tires break loose and the tension on the bushings realeases again allowing the tires to bite etc. etc. hop, hop, hop. The cure is to get the suspension solidly mounted in the lateral direction. There are radius rod kits that do this for Civics and Integras. THey actually preload the suspension so there is no give when you accelerate. I will probably do something else with this in the future but I'm not sure what to try next. One side effect of filling the radius rod bushings is that the front end bites much better in corners. The stiffer bushings must be keeping the lower arm located more solidly. They still have enough flex to allow some hop if you really dump the clutch.

I don't dump the clutch.... I'm a auto transmission guy. But I still get gobs of wheel hop at the track. On the street with tires at 32psi I just spin.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by mrsteve
I don't dump the clutch.... I'm a auto transmission guy. But I still get gobs of wheel hop at the track. On the street with tires at 32psi I just spin.
Yeah I figured you had an auto since your sig says '02. I used to get wheel hop just flooring it with the clutch engaged. It no longer hops when I do that just if I dump the clutch and make it hop. Still some experimenting to be done though. Would like to totally eliminate it.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:09 AM
What, me drive fast?

Feathering the gas seems to work for me. Lots of practice as far as track times (which I can't speak to) but it sounds easier than filling you car full of plastic or whatever ChadT did?
Old 12-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
Feathering the gas seems to work for me. Lots of practice as far as track times (which I can't speak to) but it sounds easier than filling you car full of plastic or whatever ChadT did?
I've made over 20 passes in my CL-S at the track. And have consistant 60ft times of 2.2 (which I hear is excellent) and I even have 2 or 3 2.1's under my belt. I'm wondering if I adjusted my tire pressure if maybe that could help?
Old 12-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Racer

Could do that, or get Koni adjustables for the front and set them at the track to fully firm. They are firmness adjustable and height adjustable. Steve as an aside I called Capital to run today (Sunday) but they are closed for the season. No wind, cold and good barometer. They will re-open I think in Feb. so I'll try my stab at the 14's then. I've had Koni's on my car for three years now, very good for handling and an easy way to lower the car one inch. Hopefully that would keep your tires planted, but other members may chime in with better ideas. I would consider this a good problem!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
blocking the rear springs helps out.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Mike
blocking the rear springs helps out.
How do I do that.

And about the Koni's... I'm saving up for them.... anyone know the cheapest place I can get them?? I've got H&R springs just waiting to go on, but the cheapest I've seen Koni's are like $600 for the whole set.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
buy some spring stabilizers at your local auto parts store and slap them in.