What are the best headers? performance wise, that is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the best headers? performance wise, that is...

Hello! I'm new to this forum, but not to forums in general, meaning, I can use the search button (and did). And I have had my share of fun cars to modify (a few twin turbos here and there and many single turbo charged cars too).

In any event, does anyone have a dyno sheet(s) comparing Stone Headers, OBX Headers (did I get that right?), and Comptech Headers? Which do you guys prefer and why?

As a former vehicle program manager, account financial manager, project manager, and current Six Sigma Black Belt for a fortune 100 corporation that deals with about every automobile OEM you can think of (i.e., Honda/Acura), I completely understand the importance of quality-so please don't go overboard in defending your brand. However, as a person who loves a value or 'bang for the buck', my realistic side emerges and I understand that cost is also a determining factor. Meaning, that I will consider all aspects rather than just one or two.

Of course I ask this because I am in need of some headers, but which to purchase.... Can you guys help to enlighten me and show me the 'way'?

Is there REALLY any fitment issues with these different headers (i.e., Stone Headers)? And have any REALLY just turned out to be a POS or not lived up to their claims?

Thanks!
LC
Old 08-29-2003, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

The designs, for the most part, are identical (OBX and Stone copied Comptech's design which was already a smoother mock up of the factory manifold). This would allow the assumption that all would perform similarly. This has been shown to be somewhat correct.

Quality is another matter and there is no question that Comptech's are, by far, of greater quality. But that may not justify the greater cost to most. Since you are asking these questions I assume you have an automatic; otherwise if you have a 6-Speed you have no choice.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:22 AM
One who Laps

The bottom line is that if you want to avoid problems, you buy the Comptech's. They designed them and produce them to a much higher standard of quality, not to mention they only make Honda parts which includes Honda's racing team.
I had the OBX's and had some problems, so you make the call but the Comptech's are worth every penny.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are you looking to spend?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:52 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the OBX's and have not had a problem with them. No fitment issues and no resonance. I got them for 350 shipped to my door. I think obx has fixed their resonance and fitment problem. Because 3 other local guys ordered at the same time as me and were told that these were a new batch of headers and they all fit and made no sounds. Comptechs are the best quality wise, but cost over a 1000 and stone is having the same problem with fitment and resonance that obx had when they first came out.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

All fall in between 3 sigma and meet the customers requirements,,, been in the business way to long
Old 08-29-2003, 07:05 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that CT would be closer to a 5 Sigma (according to the opinions here) while the other two are more in between a 2 and a 3 sigma....then again I'm only a yellow belt but wanna learn more!

Fender/OHSOFAST, do you guys have any recommended reading on SixSigma? I just got certified for my company as a YB but I'm interested in gaining more knowledge and eventually going for my BB certification.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:08 AM
still a Masshole

Oh and to answer the original question they all perform similarily (within a few HP) but CT seems to be the hands down winner in quality. I've had my OBXs for about 6 months and 10k miles with no probs except the resonance, which I don't mind, and the initial fitment issues. I am also part of the initial batch.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

Sigma Sigma Questions...wow

Well, I've never been too impressed with any one book regarding Six Sigma Black Belt material and/or SS implementation.

Only a few have really caught my interest (i.e., The Six Sigma Way Team Fieldbook) and those are more or less implementation guides for project teams, NOT company-wide implementation.

ferizzo, if you have more questions or care to discuss SS, please feel free to email me at-
larry.r.chevalier@jci.com
fender4, of course, your emails are welcome too!

Back to the headers....
Header quality issues-
What are they? (cracks, appearance issues?)

And what is this resonance issue? A noise in what way?

CLS2001_97124,
I'd like to spend as little as possible for this part, but still retain a reasonable level of quality. Performance is more critical to me with this modification. Have one for sale? My email is listed above.

Thanks for the responses!!!
LC
Old 08-29-2003, 07:40 AM
Masshole

I have Stone headers (2nd prototype), and I'm quite pleased with them. There is the occasional resonance (sounds like a mooing cow) around 2k and 3.5k-3.8k. I couldn't justify the extra dough for Comptechs at the time, but if I had the money I would certainly get them. CT's reputation for quality is excellent, but you pay for it. (Nothing wrong with that, either...I just don't have that kinda dough to mod my car.) I gained 20+ whp with my headers (already had an AEM CAI).

Hope this helps a little...good luck!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:48 AM
One who Laps

I have a set of OBX's for sale. They were on my car a month and I had a problem with the rear header flange being warped, so it leaked through the gasket.
I got pissed and ordered the Comptech's , as money wasn't a big issue anyway.
So, I sent the bad rear header back to OBX and they replaced it with a new one along with a set of gaskets. These were never reinstalled, so there still new. They have a lifetime warranty and Tommy at OBX is a nice guy to deal with in case of a problem in the future.
I'll take $250.00 for the set and I'll ship them for free to wherever you want. This goes for anyone who's interested.
I'm not desperate to sell them, but let me know.
I think it's a nice deal for someone looking to buy headers.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:57 AM
still a Masshole

I agree with Bulldog. I have the OBXs and get a "mooing sound", kinda like an aftermarket exhaust, around 2500-3000 rpms. The other quality issues plaguing the OBX and I think some Stone headers are that some did not fit on the engine properly (the holes didn't line up with the screws) and needed to be drilled a little to fit. Also on the first batch there was ONE OBX header delivered to a customer where the welding had not been completed. Then there were issues of flaking on the ceramic coated headers as well.

The only other issue brought to my attention so far has been that the O2 sensor is a little snug on my OBXs meaning that the wire is being tugged a little. I need to get underneath the car and check it out.

I will say that as far as I know there have been no reports of cracking of the OBX headers. Then again they've only been around for a year.

Another option, which I may consider myself, is finding a used set of CTs for like 500-700 bucks. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Sigma Sigma Questions...wow

Originally posted by OHSOFAST
Well, I've never been too impressed with any one book regarding Six Sigma Black Belt material and/or SS implementation.

Only a few have really caught my interest (i.e., The Six Sigma Way Team Fieldbook) and those are more or less implementation guides for project teams, NOT company-wide implementation.

larry.r.chevalier@jci.com

Back to the headers....
Header quality issues-
What are they? (cracks, appearance issues?)

And what is this resonance issue? A noise in what way?
Hrmm, JCI as a domain name in the email address. Quality discussion and an Indiana location... Isn't there a JCI seating systems plant in Indiana?? Just a guess anyway.

As for the headers, there have only been initial quality issues with both OBX and Stone. These have been mainly related to ill fitting manifolds requiring modifications to get them to fit. Also, it seems that most of the said sets also require further grinding on the interior welded as there are many noticeable burrs.

Outside of this I have not heard of any longer term issues with quality. They seem to be holding up fine.

The resonance mentioned is a humming or as some put it, a cow mooing sound at specific lower revs, normally 2500 - 3000 RPM. Comptech's do not seem to have this or is not as noticeable.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm a Six Sigma Black Belt at probably the most advanced Six Sigma organization in the world. It really does work and shows great improvement when implemented correctly. If anyone has questions, contact me at Cusdaddy@aol.com

BTW... Comptech is by no means 5 sigma unless their spec limits are very wide
Old 08-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Banned

Performance wise, they're all about the same, quality wise, CT is definitely on the top. Unfortunately I have the earlier version of CT where it resonates a little, but the later version should be just smooth, no resonance whatsover.

BTW, has anybody ever found out if the torquing of the downpipe bolts has to do with the resonance?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:16 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally posted by sonor kid
The bottom line is that if you want to avoid problems, you buy the Comptech's. They designed them and produce them to a much higher standard of quality, not to mention they only make Honda parts which includes Honda's racing team.
I had the OBX's and had some problems, so you make the call but the Comptech's are worth every penny.
Actually truth be known..COMPTECH also builds CHEVY engines for the IRL.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:00 AM
still a Masshole

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I'm a Six Sigma Black Belt at probably the most advanced Six Sigma organization in the world. It really does work and shows great improvement when implemented correctly. If anyone has questions, contact me at Cusdaddy@aol.com

BTW... Comptech is by no means 5 sigma unless their spec limits are very wide
I was guestimating on the CT sigma and it was based on complaints (or customer satisfaction). I have no idea what they might be.

I assume you work for GE because in my training all they kept talking about was GE! I'm so pumped that this is turning into a six sigma resource thread because I am very interested in these methodologies! Cool beans!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

The thing that got me to go with the Stone Racing over the OBX was that they are port matched to the the heads. The OBX flange is actually smaller than the exhaust ports on the cylinder heads. That has to make a difference, and I was suprised the OBX were not.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ferizzo
I was guestimating on the CT sigma and it was based on complaints (or customer satisfaction). I have no idea what they might be.

I assume you work for GE because in my training all they kept talking about was GE! I'm so pumped that this is turning into a six sigma resource thread because I am very interested in these methodologies! Cool beans!
I took the training courses from Motorola in the late 1980's,,, I think they started it because it was called Motorola Six Sigma College,,, but I could be wrong,,
Old 08-29-2003, 03:03 PM
///M POWER

i am happy w/ my obx

if i had the dough i'd get the comptechs though
Old 08-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Motorola was the pioneer of Six Sigma as 2 employees Dr. Mikel Harry and Richard Schroeder created the methodology and standards.

Recently, Motorola has been moving away from Six Sigma, and their leadership position in the industry has faded.

If anyone is interested in reading more about Six Sigma, check out www.isixsigma.com
Old 08-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Subie Dubie

Go Comptech. At least they are continuing to make parts for our cars
Old 09-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

okay....I've got my OBX headers now...

Alright, first, no OBX bashing. I got a good deal and got them REAL quick. (I'm an impatient person, overnight delvery is sometimes too slow)

Okay, so the OBX headers don't match up to the ports on my engine. I know this is nothing new, but I'm wondering why?!!?!

I know that this increases the air velocity, however, this must also increase air turbulance.

Has anyone ported out there OBX headers to better match the engine ports?

I'm thinking about doing this prior to installation, but fear that this may have more negative effects than positive.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? (meaning leave them be or port them....NOT sell them and buy Comptech)

Thanks!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

started new thread with this ?

thought people wouldn't get to my ? in belief that this was a Comptech vs. OBX vs. Stone Header thread.....

see this thread if you're interested and can help out.....

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=112821

THANKS!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

i could swear that obx added a little more in the low end, which is especially important to japanese cars.

I have the obx headers, i dont think i have the resonance issue or maybe its just not severe, would i definetly notice?.