This is what the Acura lineup should look like.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 06:45 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is what the Acura lineup should look like.

I am posting this for two reasons, one, to see the response from you guys, and two, out of my hope that an Acura official may come accross it and realize that they need to make some changes to compete with Lexus, BMW, and MB.

First off, DROP THE RSX!, it don't fit in a luxury lineup.
Make the RSX a Honda Prelude, and move the S2000 to Acura as a BMW Z3 competitor.

S2000

MDX (Stay the same)

TL -- Add some real wood, better materials, more options to compete with ES300, but keep it FWD!

New Model (lets call it the GL) -- priced below the TL, at like 32k. Make it RWD, add better weight distribution, and let it compete with the IS and 3 series.

CL -- RWD, manual tranny, better fit and finish. Make it a RWD, 2 door, faster version of the new TL

RL -- V8, all the bells and whistles. Let it compete with the 7, S, and LS

New Model (lets call it the MDX+) LX470, X5, Range Rover competitor

SO, we are left with:

Acura S2000 (vs. BMW Z3, SLK, Boxster)
Acura TL (vs. ES300, C, 3 series sedan)
Acura GL (vs. IS, 3 coupe, CLK)
Acura CL (vs. SC430, CL, BMW 6)
Acura RL (vs. 7, S, LS)
Acura MDX (vs. RX, base X5, Discovery)
Acura MDX+ (vs. Range Rover, X5 4.4i, LX470)
Old 03-31-2002, 06:57 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
What about the beloved NSX?
Old 03-31-2002, 06:59 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That took some thought (and typing)!

I like it! I feel that there is so much potential for the Acura family of automobiles. If only the appropriate "powers" at Acura would realize this. Acura could really compete against a wider range of competitive makes, if it opened it's eyes!

BTW: Where does the NSX fit into the "new" line-up?
Old 03-31-2002, 07:00 PM
__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, I don't understand why the S2000 is a Honda. If it was an Acura, it would probably would be noticed by the people who buy those roadsters for the name and not real fun. "Sure it's as fun (maybe more fun) as our cars, but it's a Honda!"

The TL already competes well with the ES300!!!

MDX+ would be a competitor for the X5 or the Range Rover, not both. The MDX is already a competitor to the X5 3.0, but an MDX V8 would compete with the 4.4. Not a chance for the Range Rover! A bigger SUV would compete with the LX470.

Also, I know the RL needs RWD and a V8 to compete, but I think Honda is against building V8s. They will probably build a high powered 6. If they can do that, then well all it needs is RWD.

and your competitors you listed at the end are off!

P.S. Their strategy is similar luxuries at a more affordable price
Old 03-31-2002, 07:12 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes.....that would be nice but..........POOF, it was all a dream.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:15 PM
fellow MASShole

first the RSX in a few years will prolly be acura's best selling so they would be dumb to drop it .. that car(type s and R when it gets here) is going to have a bigger cult following than the ITR's do ... i agree with the S200 people look it over becuase its a honda... and there will never be a v8 by honda or acura thats not there thing if they can pump out 120 HP per liter in the S2000 they can do a hell of a lot with the 6 IF they want to ... and there is never going to be a competitor to the MB S class ..thats just the way it is not even lexus really has a model that gives MB a run for it money... just my .02

MaCe
Old 03-31-2002, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree, the NSX should be dropped, the dash looks like it was made by Nintendo.

Add to the lineup an Acura Helicopter. I'll take a CL type H.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:21 PM
__

Originally posted by 6speed
I agree, the NSX should be dropped, the dash looks like it was made by Nintendo.

Add to the lineup an Acura Helicopter. I'll take a CL type H.
You are saying the NSX should be dropped because it has an old-fashoned dash? I don't like the MDX's non-navigation dash...should they drop that too? And drop the Accord since it has that ugly whole in it's dash...who cares if it sells, it has an ugly dash!

P.S. sarcasm...just my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2002, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP

You are saying the NSX should be dropped because it has an old-fashoned dash? I don't like the MDX's non-navigation dash...should they drop that too? And drop the Accord since it has that ugly whole in it's dash...who cares if it sells, it has an ugly dash!

P.S. sarcasm...just my 2 cents
I understand it is marketed toward young drivers, I just seems more like a Honda than a "grown up" Acura (more sarcasm)
Old 03-31-2002, 07:40 PM
Old timer

This is what the Acura lineup will look like as soon as they get their act together:

3.5L CL/TL & TypeSes with 6mt
4.0L V8 RL and MDX
4.0L HighOutput NSX
Old 03-31-2002, 08:42 PM

FOr the MILLIONTH time, Honda is a very, very conservative company, it took what 20 YEARS to bring a V-6 here.
Honda Dealers are BEGGING for a pickup-truck but you can forget about it too.

Old 03-31-2002, 10:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wrote this to another thread.

Let's see what Nissan/Infiniti did.

First they bring the Z car back. A sports coupe with RWD and an omnipotent engine. Then, on that coupe, they built the luxury version of it, the G35 to go against the BMW 3 series 2 door, Mercedes' CLK, etc. At the same time, the 4 door sedan version of the G35 is also based on the same platform and drivetrain as the Z and the G35 Coupe BUT at the same time, they are phasing out the I35!!! And that move is key. The I35 is irrelevant now that the G35 is out with 4 doors and priced the same.

IF Honda/Acura had any similar aspirations, I cant see where they would be based upon. You cant just come out with a new RWD luxury coupe platform. It would cost $60K. If you base it on a high volume Honda coupe though, it will cost $35K. SO where is that Honda/cheap coupe platform? I cant think of one.

The new Accord MUST be that new platform which the new 04 TL will use. And if there will be a 2 door it MUST be based on the same platform. The above means that 99% the car will be FWD, possibly AWD (especially if the new Accord will be AWD optionally). In other words, bullshit. If you expect a RWD cool loking, Acura 2 door, balanced 50%-50% like the BMWs, you will probably be disappointed.

2 more points:

Look at Lexus. They have NO 2 door luxury coupe. And there are no plans for one as far as anyone knows. So what if Acura axes the CL? The TL and MDX continue to be the bread and butter. The MDX makes for 50% of Acura's sales. Combine that with the fact that people just dont buy 2 door cars unless if they are REALLY special. Meaning, very, very sporty and exciting.

Final point. In my opinion, there is a possibility of a 2 door luxury coupe from Acura to NOT be based on the next TL plarform but on the new RL/NSX RWD platform. And I would add the S2000 there. So now, you have a nice volume plarform with:

RL
NSX
S2000
CL (or whatever the name may be)
AND an unidentified Honda CL (just like the relationship between the G35 Coupe and the Z350).

Now you're talking. Volume will bring prices down and consumers get their cake and eat it too, by getting their beloved RWD, balanced, great handling coupe, with a kick ass engine (cos that is the only thing that Acura does not lack), for under 35K to start in the case of the CL.

Such a thing though will take at least 3-4 years. Why? Well, we are probably 1.5 years away from seeing the next NSX and RL. And most probably, the RL and NSX will come out at least 1.5 years before any CL/Honda CL cars based on that same platform simply because there are no rumors for them, plus Acura is too busy with that RL and NSX and above all the new Accord/TL cars.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I understand it is marketed toward young drivers, I just seems more like a Honda than a "grown up" Acura (more sarcasm)
Damn! How many "young" drivers do you know that can afford a 90k driver? It's the drivers type of dash...
Old 03-31-2002, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by evolaerok

Damn! How many "young" drivers do you know that can afford a 90k driver? It's the drivers type of dash...
Actually I was referring to the RSX
Old 03-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Dropping the RSX would be foolish. It is a great car and it very refined in my opinion. I owned an integra previuosly and the rsx is much more comfortable and the engine is very smooth. Yeah I may be biased because I own one, but I feel that Acura did a good job with the RSX. I don't think everyone wants a car like the CL. Some see it as to big and overweight. I like the way Acura's lineup is right now.(except the RL) The coupe market these days are very competitive. I think that Acura should drop the RL. It is obviously the "dud" of the Acura lineup. It is big, slow, and underpowered. The NSX is one bad ass machine, but I agree that it is very expensive. The TL needs a manny and Acura needs to offer different wheel/tire packages,as well as, different options than they currently offer.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AJP97
Dropping the RSX would be foolish. It is a great car and it very refined in my opinion. I owned an integra previuosly and the rsx is much more comfortable and the engine is very smooth. Yeah I may be biased because I own one, but I feel that Acura did a good job with the RSX. I don't think everyone wants a car like the CL. Some see it as to big and overweight. I like the way Acura's lineup is right now.(except the RL) The coupe market these days are very competitive. I think that Acura should drop the RL. It is obviously the "dud" of the Acura lineup. It is big, slow, and underpowered. The NSX is one bad ass machine, but I agree that it is very expensive. The TL needs a manny and Acura needs to offer different wheel/tire packages,as well as, different options than they currently offer.
Just curious , how old are you?
Old 03-31-2002, 11:19 PM
fellow MASShole

Originally posted by gavriil
I wrote this to another thread.

Look at Lexus. They have NO 2 door luxury coupe. And there are no plans for one as far as anyone knows.

what about the SC 300 ( i think its 300 ) thats a 2dr ?? or did they stop production..?

MaCe
Old 03-31-2002, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually I was referring to the RSX
So sorry.... but same for the RSX, it's a driver oriented dash/interior....
Old 03-31-2002, 11:25 PM
Instructor

6speed, I am 22. I hope you are not trying to imply something?
Old 03-31-2002, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

6speed, I am 22. I hope you are not trying to imply something?
No, not implying anything. My feeling is that the RSX is for young drivers. Thanks for confirming that.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:34 PM
Instructor

6speed, that's cool. I understand that point and agree with you completley. However, I am looking into trading in my RSX so I can get into a 6speed CL-S myself. At 6"4 the cl just feels like it has a little bit more room and the powertrain is just amazing. I am sure you know what I am talking about. Have a good one.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:26 AM

Well Lexus has the hardtop convertible SC 430 which is a 2 door.

From my understanding a SC 300 is coming, but a hardtop only. Hopefully it will look different.
An IS coupe is a possibility, but no time soon.

Maybe some of ya'll need to understand that Acura is a good luxury car company but has NO INTENTIONS of mixing up with the Big boys.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

LOL if acura drop the RL.. then i would laugh at acura.... they wont have ANYTHING to against LS . S.. 7s... not even E class...
all they have is something to compete with ES300,,, I35 and 3 series and C class... those entry classes....

i m not saying integra/RSX is a bad car.. it is a good car.. but they should make is Honda-RSX.... Acura is all about Luxurious (Except for NSX) and that s why theyr higher level than honda... but integra is .. i dont know eh... speed i think the all Acura Cars should be above 30k.... just like lexus, BMW, MBZ..even jaguar
Old 04-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Instructor

I just think that the RL is pretty much outclassed by BMW, Lexus, etc.. Acura really needs to do something to the RL to make it more competitive in an already very competitive class.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MaCe

what about the SC 300 ( i think its 300 ) thats a 2dr ?? or did they stop production..?

MaCe
That was discontinued a few years back.

What Lexus is currently selling is:

ES (4 door)
GS (4 door)
LS (4 door)
RX (4 door SUV)
LX (4 door SUV)
SC (2 door hard top - same category as the Merc. SL)

The SC 300 and 400, if were still in production would have been the cars to go against the CLS but not any more.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Maybe some of ya'll need to understand that Acura is a good luxury car company but has NO INTENTIONS of mixing up with the Big boys.
What? Why are you saying that? On what grounds?

If you dont mix up with the big boys, you are dead. No doubt about it.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MaCe
first the RSX in a few years will prolly be acura's best selling so they would be dumb to drop it ..
MaCe
100% agreed. The RSX will be one of the cash cows for Acura once it matures a little bit more.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by oonowindoo

i m not saying integra/RSX is a bad car.. it is a good car.. but they should make is Honda-RSX....
Here is why I disagree. And that is a key point in automotive strategy today. Proof? Toyota's newly created brand, SCION. Luxury no, to the point yes.

It is very important to market to the young market. It has been proven a million times that when someone buys car brand X when they are 22, they will probably stay faithfull when they are out for a car at 27 again and at 32 again, etc. And with Honda's/Acura's relibility tradition, makes it easy to be faithful.

If a 24 year old got in an RSX, and now they are 28 and looking for a car, is it possible for them to look at Honda or Toyota? They will most probably look at an Acura 2 door or 4 door car which will be more expensive/better than their RSX, or go with the next generation of the RSX.

So I disagree. You have to be able to attract the young buyer in order to keep them later as a customer. That is the thinking behind SCION, the newly created brand behind Toyota, which is marketed to high school kids.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Racer

The rsx has to stay it is the most popular acura, or it will be in a year or two. But Acura should seriously consider a roadster coupe based on the S2000, with perhaps a little more hp, and a slight increase in length or wheelbase(maybe 2-3inches)just to lenghten the cockpit to fit taller drivers, and 1-2 inches wider. This would give competition for the boxter, the clk, and the 3series convertibles, as well as the 350zx. They could price it at around $35,000. They could switch the RSX and the S2000, but they bring a noteraity to the different companies. The S2000 is Honda's way of saying look how innovative we can be. And the RSX is Acura's way of saying hey we have value and style,(it is their goal of reaching the younger consumer, to influence them into buying another Acura later.) A more expensive one.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:22 AM
Pro

Originally posted by gavriil

That was discontinued a few years back.

What Lexus is currently selling is:

ES (4 door)
GS (4 door)
LS (4 door)
RX (4 door SUV)
LX (4 door SUV)
SC (2 door hard top - same category as the Merc. SL)

The SC 300 and 400, if were still in production would have been the cars to go against the CLS but not any more.
You forgot about the IS (4 door) and the soon-to-be selling
GX (4 door SUV)
Old 04-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Racer

No, not implying anything. My feeling is that the RSX is for young drivers. Thanks for confirming that.
but just because your young doesnt mean you are going to get the RSX over a CLS or TLS.... i bought my cls when i was 22
Old 04-01-2002, 12:08 PM
fellow MASShole

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

agreed .. acura doesnt have a car that even comes close to high end cars of "the big boys" the RL is shit compared to the upper MB and lexus cars.. acura should just stay where there at the middle luxury class i mean an Acura is a classy car but if i was truley blingin i wouldnt be drivin one

MaCe
Old 04-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by e1828

You forgot about the IS (4 door) and the soon-to-be selling
GX (4 door SUV)
Yes sir. I stand corrected.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:30 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
whew, i just got home and this thread turned out to have some interesting points. first off, i didn't mean to leave the nsx off. mistake. All the nsx needs, though, is a v8 to make it competitive. furthermore, the rsx should and could become a honda. it would not affect sales as all the money goes to the same place.