Went and test drove an 03' ABP 6 Speed today.... wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
CL-S Hunting!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went and test drove an 03' ABP 6 Speed today.... wtf?

I went and looked at an 03' ABP CL-S 6 speed today. First thing I noticed was that the right rear wheel was off of an older RL or TL... So I popped the hood and it had an Injen intake already on it. From looking at the rest of the car, I also noticed the 3.2CL-S badge had been removed as well. Other than that, very very sexy looking car. So I get in, and first thing I notice is that it was a smokers car. So I started the car, and the check engine light was on. Didn't know if that meant it was time for an oil change, or if the car really did have issues. I figured I'd go drive it anyway just to see how it felt.

So the guy goes back inside and my buddy and I go take the car for a drive. Granted both my Spec V and my mustang are manuals, and the fact that I learned to drive a car on a stick, I almost stall this car.... I'm like WTF? Something isn't right. So I have to give this thing TONS of gas, just to get the car going. So I drive it down the street a bit, and something is seriously wrong. I start out in first gear, and floor it, and the car just struggles to even go at all. The RPM's were hardly moving up, and the engine was cutting out and sputtering. I figured for a 14 second car, this thing should be screamin'!

I don't know if it was the transmission or what, but the car just felt like the clutch was slipping 100% of the time. When I would push the clutch in, and rev the car the engine felt strong, and revved much quicker. The guy said they just put a new clutch in the car, so I'm thinking either the trans is junk, or something went wrong with the clutch install.

I told the guy I didn't want the car, but he insisted on calling me back once they found out the problem. I told him to do a compression test before he even thought about calling me, and to figure out what was wrong with the trans. I could barely get the trans in 5th gear.

Really sucks, because it was AGP with black interior, and had the navigation. Pretty much the exact car that I wanted, only behind a white one with the same interior and navi. The car was just a mess. There is no way in hell I'll be buying that one. And with only 88k miles, the car just seemed like a hack job. The suspension made all kinds of noise going over bumps also.

Any ideas?

I ended up testing driving another 03' Black CL-S 6 speed, but with tan interior and no navi. Not a fan of the tan interior at all. Car felt great though. I just hate how high you sit in the car, I feel like I'm in a damn truck. Very nice car though, I hope to have one soon. Gotta have that navi too!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely pass. It's not worth just with the smoke thing. Sounds like it was in an accident. Was the CEL on or the maintenance required? I've heard the clutch is a little tricky.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
CL-S Hunting!

Originally Posted by phipark
I would definitely pass. It's not worth just with the smoke thing. Sounds like it was in an accident. Was the CEL on or the maintenance required? I've heard the clutch is a little tricky.
Both lights were on.

I drove another 03' CL-S maybe a half hour later, and it drove perfectly fine, so I know it wasn't me not being able to figure the clutch out. I just don't like the tan interior and no nav.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Originally Posted by JFisher
Both lights were on.

I drove another 03' CL-S maybe a half hour later, and it drove perfectly fine, so I know it wasn't me not being able to figure the clutch out. I just don't like the tan interior and no nav.
I test drove a NBP CL-S6 before getting my AV6mt and I thought the same thing about the tan interior. It was fugly. Just too many shades of tan/brown going on for my tastes. The AV6mt tan interior is 100x better IMO because it's one shade of tan with a black upper dash. Much classier looking.

Regarding the first CL-S you test drove, just pass on it. It may look pretty but obviously there's something really bad going on with it. Even if he calls and says they fixed what was wrong I would pass because first impression usually says a lot about a dealership and how well they inspect their cars and what kind of condition the car was in when they got it. There's plenty more CL-S6s out there, be patient and pick up one that is in better shape, it'll be worth it in the end, or do like me and don't wait to find a CL-S6 and get an AV6mt.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Instructor

where did u drive the black and tan one? im looking for one of them and was only able to find one and its in mayland.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd pass... If there is a CEL and a maintenace light on, it sounds like the prior owner didn't take good care of it.

If the rpm's weren't going up, then it's not the clutch. With a worn slipping clutch, the rpm's will go up, but you won't go anywhere. The CEL issue is probably the cause for the thing struggling...

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
The AV6mt tan interior is 100x better IMO because it's one shade of tan with a black upper dash. Much classier looking.
That's the reason I bought a CL instead of an Accord. Hated the tan interior with black dash. Different strokes for different folks

At least we can agree that red is the best exterior color
Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
CL-S Hunting!

I test drove a NBP CL-S6 before getting my AV6mt and I thought the same thing about the tan interior. It was fugly. Just too many shades of tan/brown going on for my tastes. The AV6mt tan interior is 100x better IMO because it's one shade of tan with a black upper dash. Much classier looking.

Regarding the first CL-S you test drove, just pass on it. It may look pretty but obviously there's something really bad going on with it. Even if he calls and says they fixed what was wrong I would pass because first impression usually says a lot about a dealership and how well they inspect their cars and what kind of condition the car was in when they got it. There's plenty more CL-S6s out there, be patient and pick up one that is in better shape, it'll be worth it in the end, or do like me and don't wait to find a CL-S6 and get an AV6mt.
Right, there is no way in hell I'm buying that car. I was looking for info on what might be wrong with the car. I'm in no rush to buy one, but the sooner the better I'm beginning to think I may have to travel a bit to find a nice one. Maybe buy a plane ticket out to Cali and drive it home. I just have such a hard time buying a car I haven't test driven and seen in person(the blue one is a perfect example why).

What is an AV6mt?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
CL-S Hunting!

Originally Posted by aveisone
where did u drive the black and tan one? im looking for one of them and was only able to find one and its in mayland.
It was at Superior Hyundai on Route 4 in Fairfield. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio btw.

That car was VERY nice. I just can't do the tan interior and if I'm going to buy one, I want nav as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, there is no way in hell I'm buying that car. I was looking for info on what might be wrong with the car. I'm in no rush to buy one, but the sooner the better I'm beginning to think I may have to travel a bit to find a nice one. Maybe buy a plane ticket out to Cali and drive it home. I just have such a hard time buying a car I haven't test driven and seen in person(the blue one is a perfect example why).

What is an AV6mt?
Honda Accord V6 MT . Good luck on finding your CLS6!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree the tan interior is putty ugly and the fake wood. I had a white/tan 6MT No Navi and decided I liked the car so much I sold it and got the anthracite/black 6MT Navi I have now. good luck on your search. Be patient and it will pay off.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I'd pass... If there is a CEL and a maintenace light on, it sounds like the prior owner didn't take good care of it.

If the rpm's weren't going up, then it's not the clutch. With a worn slipping clutch, the rpm's will go up, but you won't go anywhere. The CEL issue is probably the cause for the thing struggling...

That's the reason I bought a CL instead of an Accord. Hated the tan interior with black dash. Different strokes for different folks

At least we can agree that red is the best exterior color
SMR FTMFW!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I would look for a San Marino Red w/ black interior if I were you. If you could do without the nav, this is probably the best one out there: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Best thing, it's also really close to you.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Abp

I found one in Columbus with the NAVI:
Aegean Blue Pearl CLS

Pretty sweet!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM
CL-S Hunting!

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
Honda Accord V6 MT . Good luck on finding your CLS6!
Ahh ok. I like the styling of the CL-S much better so I think I'll stick with that.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 PM
CL-S Hunting!

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
I would look for a San Marino Red w/ black interior if I were you. If you could do without the nav, this is probably the best one out there: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Best thing, it's also really close to you.
No offense, but thats actually the only color I don't want. Not a big fan of red. IMO, that's just not a luxury car color.

My #1 choice would be a white 03' with black interior and nav. But from the other thread I was reading, they only made 12 of those....
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM
CL-S Hunting!

Originally Posted by Weavz
I found one in Columbus with the NAVI:
Aegean Blue Pearl CLS

Pretty sweet!
Hmmm, I may call about this one, although the price is too high. I don't like that it doesn't have a spoiler, but I'm liking the low miles. They wanted $12,995 for the black one yesterday with 10k more miles. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, if you go back to the search results on your link, the blue one at the top of the page is the one I drove last night, with what seemed like a blown motor, and the black one at the bottom of the page is the 2nd one I test drove.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Racer

Just to let all of you know, my dad is a dealer/wholesaler (that's how I got mine-cheap!) in central florida. He goes to the Manheim Auction in Orlando and another one in Tampa. And he also gets great rates on freight. This is the same area where most Acura dealers find steals to put on their used car lots and then pack a few grand onto them. That may be another way to go, since there is not a huge demand for them from dealers. Let me know if anyone is interested...I can email printouts of sale reports.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Ahh ok. I like the styling of the CL-S much better so I think I'll stick with that.
I hear ya, I wasn't a huge fan myself when the 7th gen Accords came out but they grew on me and now I really like them, obviously.

No offense, but thats actually the only color I don't want. Not a big fan of red. IMO, that's just not a luxury car color.

My #1 choice would be a white 03' with black interior and nav. But from the other thread I was reading, they only made 12 of those....
That's it, this guy GM! Kidding. Again, at first I though the same, I wasn't a fan of red on anything other than a Ferrari, but seeing as that's not going to happen anytime soon I figured I'd just pretend I had a Ferrari and go with red/tan leather. I think it's one of those colors that looks much better in person and grows on your after a while. I do miss having silver when it comes to keeping it clean and not noticing every little ding and scratch though.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Instructor

I don't even think Injen makes an intake for our 6MTs
Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM
CL-S Hunting!

I hear ya, I wasn't a huge fan myself when the 7th gen Accords came out but they grew on me and now I really like them, obviously.

That's it, this guy GM! Kidding. Again, at first I though the same, I wasn't a fan of red on anything other than a Ferrari, but seeing as that's not going to happen anytime soon I figured I'd just pretend I had a Ferrari and go with red/tan leather. I think it's one of those colors that looks much better in person and grows on your after a while. I do miss having silver when it comes to keeping it clean and not noticing every little ding and scratch though.
Yea, I would love to have the silver as well. I would hate to have another black car as a daily driver, but if I find one for a good deal, and has the options that I want, I'm not going to pass it up.