Weapon R Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Weapon R Intake

Does anyone know anything about these?? I will get this over the AEM if its better. Their website has one for our car with the Icebox cover. Any info would be greatly helpful
Old 03-20-2002, 07:01 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
IBmoomaster

get the AEM. it looks wayyyyyyy better and sounds awesome!
Old 03-20-2002, 07:10 PM
Red X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
IBmoomaster

get the AEM. it looks wayyyyyyy better and sounds awesome!
what?! you don't like the ufo sound
Old 03-20-2002, 07:13 PM
mister D

Re: Weapon R Intake

Originally posted by cob3683
Does anyone know anything about these?? I will get this over the AEM if its better. Their website has one for our car with the Icebox cover. Any info would be greatly helpful
AEM is better
Old 03-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I love my Weapon R Dragon Intake personally. I probably only get a few less HP than the AEM (if any less), while not having to worry about hydrolock, and I think it sounds better than the AEM in VTEC range. I have mine in Red and I think it looks just as good as the AEM.

BTW, I got a K&N cone at the end, and it pretty much eliminates the UFO noise. (it only is loud during humid weather for some reason).

AEM may be a better choice, but I just wanted to let you know that there are a few happy Weapon R owners out there.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Hey cusdaddy, it that a shortram you using? Any addition like the ice box or extension?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cusdaddy
I love my Weapon R Dragon Intake personally. I probably only get a few less HP than the AEM (if any less), while not having to worry about hydrolock, and I think it sounds better than the AEM in VTEC range. I have mine in Red and I think it looks just as good as the AEM.

BTW, I got a K&N cone at the end, and it pretty much eliminates the UFO noise. (it only is loud during humid weather for some reason).

AEM may be a better choice, but I just wanted to let you know that there are a few happy Weapon R owners out there.

I still have the AEM CAI, but once the RES results start coming in, this may change. While the AEM makes great power and sounds nice, it is subject to hydrolock problems without the bypass valve.

The bypass valve gets at part of the hydrolock, low intake filter mounting problem. However, you need to clean the filter if it gets a "dunking" *and* the bypass filter probably loses enough power to make the WeaponR a bigger HP producer (especially in hot conditions and especially if the car has been idling for a long period on a hot day). (That bypass valve makes for turbulent airflow (-HP) and lets in hot engine compartment air in. Mine sitting in its box.)

Unknowns:

AEM vs. WeaponR performance with RES?

Pros:

AEM sound is great
AEM power gain w/o bypass valve is a bit better than WeaponR
WeaponR filter easier to inspect and clean.
WeaponR design is hydrolock proof (river fording exluded)

Cons:

Reports of UFO sound with WeaponR
Pavement crawling expedition for inspection and cleaning of AEM filter.
AEM needs hydrolock to be safe in regions with water/flooding near CLS’ bumper.
AEM bypass valve loses power (amount of loss depends on various factors)
AEM filter needs a cleaning if car was run through dirty puddles, etc.

Comments: I've probably missed a number of items, but I'm sure someone will add or modify this list...

(My opinions expressed here)
Old 03-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
What about the Injen Intake? How good is this one?
Old 03-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey cusdaddy, it that a shortram you using? Any addition like the ice box or extension?
I am only using a shortram right now. I may add the ram air kit in the future, but I am happy with the performance. I actually think I'd rather spend the $$ on the RES when it comes out.

EricL: It took me a month of much research and discussion before deciding upon the Weapon R intake. I really wanted the AEM because at the time, everyone was raving about it, and Moomaster was the only person I knew who had one his their CL-S (this is going back almost 9 months).

The guy at a local speed shop told me a few horror stories about AEM with the bypass filter. He actually showed me two bypass filters that were defective that broke apart and were sucked into the engines of a Prelude and a Civic. He said the glue holding apart the two cone shaped pieces of foam gave way. (I am not am expert, and this may be completely wrong, but seeing them scared me enough to avoid it altogether) Both engines had to be completely rebuilt. It's probably very uncommon, but I didn't want to take the risk with my first new car.

The rather annoying and strange UFO-like noise of the Weapon-R is GREATLY reduced by putting a paper K&N cone on the end of the pipe instead of the foam filter. (I don't really trust foam filters much anyway) I personally think short ram's sound nicer in VTEC - probably a little louder, which I like.

Again, these are my opinions, but I hate to see Weapon R bashed consistently on this board. For the ~3hp difference which no one will ever really notice, I like having the peace of mind when driving through the rain and puddles...

Again, I am in no way bashing AEM. They definitely build the finest intakes out there...
Old 03-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm on the fence...

Originally posted by cusdaddy

I am only using a shortram right now. I may add the ram air kit in the future, but I am happy with the performance. I actually think I'd rather spend the $$ on the RES when it comes out.

EricL: It took me a month of much research and discussion before deciding upon the Weapon R intake. I really wanted the AEM because at the time, everyone was raving about it, and Moomaster was the only person I knew who had one his their CL-S (this is going back almost 9 months).

The guy at a local speed shop told me a few horror stories about AEM with the bypass filter. He actually showed me two bypass filters that were defective that broke apart and were sucked into the engines of a Prelude and a Civic. He said the glue holding apart the two cone shaped pieces of foam gave way. (I am not am expert, and this may be completely wrong, but seeing them scared me enough to avoid it altogether) Both engines had to be completely rebuilt. It's probably very uncommon, but I didn't want to take the risk with my first new car.

The rather annoying and strange UFO-like noise of the Weapon-R is GREATLY reduced by putting a paper K&N cone on the end of the pipe instead of the foam filter. (I don't really trust foam filters much anyway) I personally think short ram's sound nicer in VTEC - probably a little louder, which I like.

Again, these are my opinions, but I hate to see Weapon R bashed consistently on this board. For the ~3hp difference which no one will ever really notice, I like having the peace of mind when driving through the rain and puddles...

Again, I am in no way bashing AEM. They definitely build the finest intakes out there...

1. I agree with you on the construction of the bypass valve. It also opens so easily, that a mild draw of air will get the flaps open. I looked at the construction and said, "There is a better way..." (long story, but I have ideas that would make it much better, and more expensive).

2. I'm considering a switch to the WeaponR I like "maintainability" in designs. The AEM doesn't do it for me (my opinion). (They could have had a replacement section/insert where the bypass goes, but they killed that idea (probably due to cost)

3. If the UFO sound is gone, with the K&N, that is great. Please let me know what model filter you purchased (I have the AEM short neck 3" filter (in addition to the long neck version that came with the original) and I may already have the right unit if and when and if I change to the WeaponR (I'm considering it *and* if the RES looks good with it, probably will).

4. I actually ran a small probe under the hood and the temps under the hood near the AEM's bypass valve get over 100 degrees (and higher). IMO, the WeaponR probably makes MORE hp than the AEM (with the current intake plenum), when the AEM is equipped with the bypass valve (factors are heat intake during WOT and turbulence from that abrupt cross-section change in the bypass valve.

(I like the AEM, and this is not meant has a "hack" on them. But, I think an open mind should be kept for better products. I also like the ram-air option [depending on the details...])
Old 03-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

It's been a while since I bought the K&N filter, but I went to the local autobody shop and got the 3" short neck filter. I don't think the long neck fits since there's not much room up front.

The humming noise is still there with the K&N, but far less noticable. It seems to be worse when it is humid or raining for some reason. The humming can't be heard inside with the windows closed, but it definitely is heard outside of the car.

I have to say I like the slight humming now. I think it adds character to my car.

I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this noise? It sounds like a resonating sound.. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the fins inside of the intake tubing?
Old 03-21-2002, 12:26 AM
URL Not Found!

Nice thread!

Does this K&N eliminate the UFO sound entirely, or just muffles it?

Also, What will the BOX do for the WEAPONR?
Old 03-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Suzuka Master

i wouldnt go with a weapon r intake

instead

comptech icebox

or

maybe AEM will develop a shortram exclusively for the type s

sidemarker
Old 03-21-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro

Originally posted by ReflexRacing_com
Nice thread!

Also, What will the BOX do for the WEAPONR?
The box serves as a heat shield, thus providing cold air from below, while at the same time minimizing risk of hydrolock due to the placement of the filter.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
This is a great thread!!! I'm debating on whether to get a CAI from AEM. Keep the discussion going!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Racer

I also have a Weapon R Intake. I love it!!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:26 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Quiteatypes
I also have a Weapon R Intake. I love it!!!!
How much and where can you get it from?

I went to their website, but I'm not sure which product it is...
Old 03-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Banned

The dragon intake is the newest design....you can get a v2 filter if you so desire...or maybe they'll be able to knock off some money if you don't want the filter...don't quote me on that though..

Sidemarker - if you want a short ram from AEM....can you really tell the difference between that one and the Weapon-R one? Or for that matter any other short ram of similar design....bottom line, and intake is a piece of aluminum with a filter at the end and a couple of nipples to run vacuum lines into. If you wanted...you can even spray the high temp paint on the tube to get that 'AEM-like quality'...I think AEM is an awesome outfit too, but hey, why all the bias?
Old 04-26-2002, 03:23 AM
10th Gear

11 HP claim on a 5th gen Lude
Old 04-26-2002, 05:43 PM
///M POWER

Originally posted by Scrib

How much and where can you get it from?

I went to their website, but I'm not sure which product it is...
It says in your sig that you already got a blue CAI.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Instructor

I cant really comment to much on the weapon R since i dont have one, but i did alot of research and went with the AEM with the bypass. Now i have a new 2002 CL-S with no real heavy mods as of yet, and the AEM has been great. The sound is loud and crisp and I havent had a problem yet in the rain or not. When I tried to figure out which one to go with i went to the Pro's, which was Doug at Rick Case and he suggested that i stick with AEM because very little problems and great reliability. SO FAR SO GOOD, i love my aem definetly feel a big difference once the ecu is reset, car is much more peppy, i am no pro but i feel it.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:04 PM
4dr & I like it that way

I have an AEM CAI with a bypass valve, but just to let you guys know.. I tried it without the bypass valve first and after putting it on, I really couldnt notice a difference. You're going to get very similar gains with any CAI (there are only so many ways to make a pipe ) and our engines definitely have an overly restrictive stock intake system, so a CAI helps quite a bit.

I would NOT get a short ram just because then you're taking up all the air from inside the compartment. The CAI gets air from down by the wheel, and on my car I cut out my fake fog holes so air comes directly from the outside into the filter.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:46 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

FDAO

Not to change the subject.... but I copied this from FDAO's Sig (he posted earlier in this thread...

01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Comptech Headers
Toyos T1-S 235/45/17
1/4 mile ET: 14.920

Dosen't that 1/4 time see extremely high for that combition listed?? Is it the conditions in HI??

Any explanation??

Old 04-27-2002, 12:46 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FDAO

Originally posted by Dom418
Not to change the subject.... but I copied this from FDAO's Sig (he posted earlier in this thread...

01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Comptech Headers
Toyos T1-S 235/45/17
1/4 mile ET: 14.920

Dosen't that 1/4 time see extremely high for that combition listed?? Is it the conditions in HI??

Any explanation??

If it was a HOT day, that is about right!!!!! Temps over 80 or 90 degrees will take a lot of time off!!!!! HI is HOT and HUMID, not very good for 1/4 mile runs!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 03:29 AM
Pro

AztecRol and Dom418,

Hehehe....yes it's pathetic. Temp was in the 75-78 range with humidity at 70%. The track in Hawaii actually has a slight grade. I am not sure if it's the grade of the track or the poor design of the header (the one I got anyway), since stock, I ran a best of 15.0 with stock tires!

Almost every car that I have seen running there has a slower time than their mainland counterpart, with the same modifications.

I will be running again on the 10th, barring any unexpected deliveries, to see if I can achieve the times that this board has been getting.

Pretty disappointing to say for $1100