Are we the fastest stock FWD car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DSM316
For example, the new M3 I test drove felt like a Honda, not that that's at all bad, but I expected something different for that price. I guess thats why I bought the C32 AMG. My friends CL-S, to me, is a much better bang for the buck than a Beamer. Not taking anything away from the beamer, I just love the Acura's "racey" feel, not too mention it costs substantially less.
I cannot fully qualify this statement, there is no comparison of the feel between the CL-S and a BMW. They are completely different...

An M3 feels like a Honda?? I know my E46 328i is no M3 but it certainly has a distinct feel to it not to mention more precise handling characteristics than my CL-S.

I do love the high rev thrill the CL-S produces and the harmony of the engine at revs. But there is no mistaking the silk like smoothness of the I6 in the 3 series. Two completely different cars with their own merits but cannot be confused...
Old 12-21-2001, 09:45 PM
toyota owner

Caddy's, in my opinion, are just highway cruisers. CL-S's will have no problem with them in a typical street race, or a drag race for that matter. Maxima's are nice, but I thing that the car just lacks the "Race Inspiration" that other manafacturers have. Companies like Honda, BMW, Mercedes, have a certain feel for each of them that sets them apart. Most companies mimick one another, or at least I think so. For example, the new M3 I test drove felt like a Honda, not that that's at all bad, but I expected something different for that price. I guess thats why I bought the C32 AMG. My friends CL-S, to me, is a much better bang for the buck than a Beamer. Not taking anything away from the beamer, I just love the Acura's "racey" feel, not too mention it costs substantially less.
i am thinking of selling the lude early next year and i was thinking of the cl-s in 6MT. Something else on my mind is the MB c230 sports coupe with wheel package, leather etc. What would you get? i know that cl-s would definitely haul MB c230 ass, but i kinda like interior of MB (since dad/relatives have been driving benz's since way back).

at first the MB230 looked ugly to me, but i guess its growing on me and with wheel package, it should look fine.

what you all think of this cheapo benz?

p.s sorry i got off topic :P
Old 12-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apples to Apples

Our is the fastest FWD car. The new Maxima in AUTO will be close, and the new Altima in AUTO will be close. If ours was stick it would be close also. Apples to Apples.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

The M3 VERY much felt like a Honda motor in that it had alot of power off the line, but it seemed to lack the high end torque. I drove the new M3 on several different occasions, and it the performance felt great, but what I wanted was a car that pulled all the way through the powerband. The M3 handled INCREDIBLEY, and it is more of a sports car than the Benz, but I wanted something that was well adapted for everday commutes. I felt the Benz did this better, and provided better than average handling, with more power. I suppose a decision like this just depends on what you want out of the car. As for it being a better car than the CL-S....on paper, I agree, but bag for the buck wise..I disagree. The only reason I didnt get a CL-S is because my friends already got one, and I didnt want to have the same car. The 4 door car is a better decision for me anyway, considering that I spent 4 months out of last year in a coma due to a wreck I got in, while riding in a M-Roadster.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:58 PM
Racer

Okay, I am by no means a great driver, but I had a Maxima beat the shit out of me today. He blew me away off the line and then kept pulling away all the way up to 90mph!!! I was so pissed.

Maxima

Headers and Exhaust here we come!!!
Old 12-21-2001, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

The M3 VERY much felt like a Honda motor in that it had alot of power off the line, but it seemed to lack the high end torque.

I suppose a decision like this just depends on what you want out of the car.
There is something wrong then, most Honda's (including Acura) are very weak off the line. It is their upper end pull that distinguishes them.

The BMWs are known for excellent mid range torque while continuing to pull. The statement of lack of high end torque is fruitless, torque diminishes as the revs climb in road car. It is how you sustain that torque is what produces HP.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Pontiac GTX (aka Grand Prix SC on 'roids :))

Originally posted by cusdaddy

A GS400, Vette and Mustang are FWD... The only two cars I know of available right now that are FWD that can most likely beat us are the Altima/Maxima/occasional RSX-S
Um I think this would classify as a stock FWD car that could (actually probably will) beat us in the 1/4 mile is the Pontiac GTX, which is basically a Supercharged Grand Prix with the RAM air package. I think the car runs low 14's high 13's. Seriously a torque monster, but handles like a slug.

Pretty nice and comfy ride though
Old 12-22-2001, 12:27 AM
got rocks??

yes you beat me to it

Ive got a friend that I work with that picked him up the Pontiac SSE..supercharged V6. He can boost the supercharger at a red and smoke the tires all the way across the intersection. I was in a car behind him when he was showing off. This car is fast..i would say faster then the CLS. He tells me he goes to the races out here in the bay area and when a ricer pulls up and sees the supercharged insignia on his door they usually pull off. Its also easy to switch out a couple of pulleys and bam..15-20 psi!! I dont wanna race him in the CL-S.

KJ
Old 12-22-2001, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Well, if you look at the final drive for the M5 and M3, you'll see that its geared for accelloration, not top speed. It doesnt matter how much HP you have, if you dont have the torque to achieve it, then it will go unoticed. Check out the powerband, the M5's engine is more potent because of the V8, but with the gearing in the car, the top speed is limited. As for the M3, its torque is in the low to mid 200 range, indeed it does have 300+ HP, but the lack of torque makes the extra HP useless while you're already moving. However, on the C32, the torque is right up there with the HP thus giving it a better all around powerband. I imagine that the NSX and the M3 would be a very all around close race if you were to race them from a stand still to top speed (if the M3's governor was removed)
Old 12-22-2001, 02:02 AM
Pro

Originally posted by krazyplaya213
the new c230 has always been FWD!

dude, you need to go to Carpoint or Edmunds & do
a little homework.

MercedesBenz & BMW only manufacture & import RWD cars.
There are a few AWD exceptions but I don't think either company has ever made a FWD auto for sale to the public.

FWD German cars would be VW or Audi (Audi of course offers AWD too)
Old 12-22-2001, 02:23 AM
Pro

don't forget about Volvo & Saab, both have made quite a few
quick & fast Turbo FWD sedans. I think the Saab900 was one of the first FWD Turbo hot rods. Anyone make one before them?

Volvo S80 268hp & S60 247hp

My 99' SVT Contour could pull sub 7sec 0-60mph & consistently topped out at an indicated 140mph. I'd say it was quicker than my CL-S above 110mph due to the gearing.

The old SHO Taurus would haul ass too.
That Yamaha motor was sweet.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:26 AM
type WrX 2002

3.5 se

02 NISSAN ALTIMA 3.5 SE
(FWD) mid 14's 1/4 mile
Old 12-22-2001, 07:26 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Cadillac Seville STS
Old 12-22-2001, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I'd have to go w/ the pontiac SSE and Volvo s80.

but both those cars arn't N/A so they Suck!:P
Old 12-22-2001, 07:45 AM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

Originally posted by cnatra
don't forget about Volvo & Saab, both have made quite a few
quick & fast Turbo FWD sedans. I think the Saab900 was one of the first FWD Turbo hot rods. Anyone make one before them?

Volvo S80 268hp & S60 247hp

My 99' SVT Contour could pull sub 7sec 0-60mph & consistently topped out at an indicated 140mph. I'd say it was quicker than my CL-S above 110mph due to the gearing.

The old SHO Taurus would haul ass too.
That Yamaha motor was sweet.
You have a sontour svt???? those things look sweet. Are they really that fast?
Old 12-22-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro

Originally posted by KingsFanPaul1

You have a sontour svt???? those things look sweet. Are they really that fast?

HAD, sold it to buy the CL-S.

The 2.5L V-6 was 200hp & 169lb-ft. torque so off the line
was tricky. Not a lot of low down torque. Once that motor
was spinning it hauled. Kicked ass on the freeway.

I would say the CL-S is quicker by a few because of the displacement & torque advantage but the auto-trans
& extra weight offset that some.
0-110mph or so would be real close but
over that the SVT would pull all the way to 140mph NO problem.
The 5spd manual had well spaced gearing.
A little slower above 130mph as it topped out but it would peg
somewhere between 139-141 indicated consistently.

BUT 4th gear in the CL-S sux. TOO TALL!
It's like 3rd to 110mph & then wham, out of the powerband.

When the Comptech headers kick in the extra peak HP above 5300rpms(right?) does that help with the tall 4th gear???

Also the SVT was definitley more buttoned down above 100mph.
Better handling, lighter car. Felt more planted. The CL-S needs
an airdam or something.

The fit,finish & refinement wheren't there on the Ford though!

I think I'll have to get headers,235mm tires & probably sway bars too.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:58 AM
Racer

Re: Pontiac GTX (aka Grand Prix SC on 'roids :))

Originally posted by JSuppi

Um I think this would classify as a stock FWD car that could (actually probably will) beat us in the 1/4 mile is the Pontiac GTX, which is basically a Supercharged Grand Prix with the RAM air package. I think the car runs low 14's high 13's. Seriously a torque monster, but handles like a slug.

Pretty nice and comfy ride though

I had a 2001 Grand Prix GTP for about a year and had more problems with it than I can count on both hands!!! And the ride was far from "nice and comfy". Just my opinion, but maybe I just got a "bad one." But I will agree with you, it did feel like a torque monster but drove like a damn boat!!! Right when I got rid of mine to get the 02 CLS they were talking about coming out with a V8 all wheel drive version of the GTP......if that ever comes out, I might have to give em another try...............hahahahahahahahahahaahhaah, ya right!!!!