Warranty and supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty and supercharger

I'm looking at getting an aftermarket warranty from Warranty Gold.

I'm thinking of dropping in a supercharger when they come out for the autos.

The dood from WG said that the warranty will not cover the S/C or damage done because of the S/C.

Anyone that has put in the supercharger come across this stuff before?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

come on think a minute,,, why would they want to cover a sc that the engine is not designed for,, if it came on it stock that would be another story,, even acura would balk if the engine let loose,, not that it can't handle it,, what burb are you from,, I came from the Buffalo Grove , Wheeling Area,,
Old 03-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Advanced

I understand what you're saying. I'm just wondering if I do the s/c should I even bother with an extended warranty.

I live in Elgin/St. Charles area and work in Hanover Park.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I'd stay away from those 3rd party warranty people too. No reason why you shouldn't spend the extra $$ & get an Acura warranty. You can get them up untill the end of the factory warranty. But then again on an Acura do you really need 1? The tranny is covered for 100K miles. The car is coverd till 50K miles.
No warranty will cover a non factory superchager. However if you have an engine problem, a dealer might fix it in warranty. Depends on if the dealer is mod friendly or not.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Advanced

the dealer I go to now (Woodfield Acura) said that Comptech headers would void any drivetrain warranty work should a situation arise. Crap.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech?!? Headers?!?

I'm not sure they can make a blanket statement like that. I forget the name of the Act that protects us, but proof by the dealer must be shown that the mod caused the failure, I believe.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:20 AM
jsrbrown

Originally posted by Birch
the dealer I go to now (Woodfield Acura) said that Comptech headers would void any drivetrain warranty work should a situation arise. Crap.
This is not true... the dealer would have to first prove that the sc was the cause of said warranty issue
Old 03-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

My opinion is that anyone who installs the blower is playing Russian roulette with their car.

No matter what anyone HERE says, your powertrain warranty is pretty much VOID after the install.
Of course there are exceptions if you have a “hookup” with the service manager at the dealership or you bought the car with it already installed.
Otherwise I’d say you’re on your own if it’s a self install job.

Shawn S

PS… If you’re getting an extended warranty I would only suggest an AcuraCare plan.
Most others are not worth the few hundred you might save up front.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Advanced

it all depends on the dealer

i have the comptech intake, headers, aem pulleys, hks exhaust, apexi v-tec controller and they still fixed my tranny.....no questions asked. just go and ask the dealership yourself...if u ask on here, you get b.s. answers and a bunch of flaming.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by jsrbrown
This is not true... the dealer would have to first prove that the sc was the cause of said warranty issue
Exactly. That act that Bulldog was referring to is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically the dealer needs to prove, without a doubt that the modification you added caused the problem. So if you added headers and you had suspension problem, there's no way they could prove anything.

That said, the 3rd party warranty people can decide to not cover anything they want... that's one of the dangers with going that route. Your best bet is to just get an Acura warranty and save yourself a bunch of headaches. While you're at it... find another dealer as well. Any dealer who's going to be an ass like that should be booted. There are tons of dealers around and you should be able to find one that's mod friendly.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Insurance Commish

Is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act a federal or state law? Do you have a cite for it? The tranny is going to be covered due to the problem that the manufacturer has with the defects. Anyone who puts a profromance mod on their vehicle while it is under warranty is taking a big risk that the warranty will be void. Of course you could fight it but the legal expense would be more the cost of your CL.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
That act is a Federal Law. I do not have a site for it but I'm sure you could do a google search on it.

As for your statement of taking a risk with any performance mod.. I'd say that's not true at all. I mean, there are Acura dealers that actually install aftermarket parts. It varies dealer to dealer since they are all independently owned. Something as big as the S/C may cause problems, but the standard Intake, Header, Exhaust, Stereo, etc. should not be an issue. And again, the dealer would need to prove that a modification caused the problem.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Pro

the cl types s can handle the supercharger since its low boost.comptech sais it has no issue with engine life.as far as warranty its up to the dealer if they would help you if you blew up the motor
Old 03-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's not the engine we're worried about it's the automatic transmition. I ordered the S/C anyways. I'm just hoping they've figured out the right fix for our trannys.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro

i think with you auto guys the trans cooler that comes with it will keep the trans from overheating with the added hp
Old 03-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I hope so. I'm also hoping some aftermarket company will come up with a heavy duty/high performance replacement transmition! And you manual guys will need a clutch soon,... if your driving it like you should be.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 PM
BOOOOOOsted

Any mod made by Comptech and installed by Honda/Acura will not void your warranty . Unless Comptech states that it will void yor warranty , exp: Stage 2 Boost Upgrade or rebuilding your motor with Comptech's internal rebuild racing packages.

Comptech's basic bolt ons ( hdrs, Ice box, exh., s/c pkg ) will not void your warranty IF INSTALLED BY A HONDA?ACURA DEALER !!

At least thats what my Honda dealer says. They have allready honored two trannie replacements for me.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by numbaonexstunna
it all depends on the dealer

i have the comptech intake, headers, aem pulleys, hks exhaust, apexi v-tec controller and they still fixed my tranny.....no questions asked. just go and ask the dealership yourself...if u ask on here, you get b.s. answers and a bunch of flaming.
Good comment. If they wanted to blame the tranny failure on your mods, they could have given you quite an argument. I agree that it's your relationship with the dealer and if they do the install.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:08 AM
jsrbrown

Originally posted by tool462
Any mod made by Comptech and installed by Honda/Acura will not void your warranty . Unless Comptech states that it will void yor warranty , exp: Stage 2 Boost Upgrade or rebuilding your motor with Comptech's internal rebuild racing packages.

Comptech's basic bolt ons ( hdrs, Ice box, exh., s/c pkg ) will not void your warranty IF INSTALLED BY A HONDA?ACURA DEALER !!

At least thats what my Honda dealer says. They have allready honored two trannie replacements for me.

Can I get an AMEN
Old 03-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Birch
I understand what you're saying. I'm just wondering if I do the s/c should I even bother with an extended warranty.

I live in Elgin/St. Charles area and work in Hanover Park.
If you want the SC just bypass the extended warranty especially if the extended warranty was just for drivetrain related issues.

Nice to see mention of my birth place, St. Charles, IL.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
My opinion is that anyone who installs the blower is playing Russian roulette with their car.
I disagree with this. The modest amount of power with this kit will not be too much for the engine. Granted, there may be some cars with problems from the factory which will be accelerated with the additional power. But an engine which is fine will continue to be fine with maybe a 10% - 20% decrease in life span. So instead of 200k miles it might only go 170k.

But regardless, at least for me if there is a problem with the engine, I certainly will not go to the dealer for help.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Hahah... if the 'lil baby blows... then its time to build a monster!
Old 03-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

All of my comptech and even my AEM mods were installed by a certified ACURA dealer and they have covered any issue that have arisen. Granted I had to go up state to Scottsdale to find a dealer that truly values their customers. For example, the dealer here in Tucson Beaudry ACURA will not repair moddifieds under warrenty if they can help it (meaning they try to attribute problems to aftermarket support) whereas the one in Phx. actully ordered the parts for me, installed them, and said to make sure to come back to them if there is any problem. It is a much bigger dealership and in a very affluent neighborhood. The dealer has my auto S/C ordered and we have the tranny cooler and battery just waiting for next month (or year at this rate).

What most people are saying here is correct. It depends on the dealer, and being in TX you should have plenty of choices. Each dealship is it's own run business and it all depends who owns it, as to what their policies are, I wouldn't ever go back to your first dealer with an attitude like that. If he is being such a prick now, imagine what he'll say when you actually need help.

Last thing, if you can afford it, have your dealer install it as well. In my expirence this helps a lot in securing easy transaction on upcomming warrenty issues.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by scalbert
I disagree with this. The modest amount of power with this kit will not be too much for the engine.
You’re the exception to my statement.
YOU know what’s going on under the hood and know what the car CAN and can NOT do.

I was speaking of the “rich kid under 20” type driver since we seem to have a LOT of those here.
Someone who is going to install the blower and an undersized pulley to boost the output to unsafe levels.

Then after blowing it sky high racing Mustangs every Friday night he’s gonna expect his 300-dollar “Wal-Mart” aftermarket warranty to pick up the tab.

Shawn S