warped rotors---dealer wont fix due to mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
warped rotors---dealer wont fix due to mileage--NEW UPDATE!

My rotors are warped....the dealer said since I have 31k miles, it is considered "normal wear and tear" They wont resurface under warrenty....and they said I need new pads...none of which is covered of course... Am I getting fucked here? Anyone else have these kind of issues because of their mileage?
Old 08-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I received the same answer when I took my car in for service. I was told the cut off point for warranty repair of this condition was 25,000 miles.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say B.S. There is a TSB and most of us have not had a problem. Tell them they have been vibrating for awhile, but you've been waiting for the 30k service. Do a search, you'll see.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:29 PM
S2000 Owner

I got new rotors and pads at around 27,000 miles
Old 08-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Racer

TSB is service bulletin right? My steering wheel doesnt vibrate but
the brakes squek, so my rotors must be ok, and it's probably the pads...
Do the dealers replace the pads under this bulletin?
Old 08-06-2002, 08:38 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by Red Rider
I say B.S. There is a TSB and most of us have not had a problem. Tell them they have been vibrating for awhile, but you've been waiting for the 30k service. Do a search, you'll see.

I took my car in for 30K service about a month ago to the local dealer Niello Acura. I wasn't
having any issues with the brakes whatsoever, but I didn't want to find out 5K miles later that I really had a problem with them. So I told the service guy I felt a shudder and there was some noise when braking, etc, mentioned the TSB, and they turned the rotors and gave me new pads without me even asking.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this help (at all)?
Old 08-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
That's total horse shit ! I had mine resurfaced at 30K service UNDER WARRANTY, with New upgraded pads ! They just did them again at 50K, resurfaced and new pads ! I told them if this happen again within the next 10,000 miles, they would REPLACE my rotors under warranty ! I use the pitch about my 1998 Accord Coupe EXV6 that has 95,000 miles and NEVER, EVER had this co-motion like the CLS has ! They back down and take care of it ! BE firm, BUT ALWAYS POLITE and PROFESSIONAL !
Old 08-06-2002, 09:46 PM
Racer

That'll do it....
Thanx
Old 08-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro

It seems like brake rotors and pads are handled differently by each Acura dealership. There is no uniformity whatsoever. I think Acura has failed to adequately train their dealers. My stepson had the same problem with a volvo. Due to bizarre circumstances a Memphis volvo dealer would not replace the front rotors under warranty but 100 miles later a Little Rock, Arkansas dealer replaced the rear rotors under warranty. I am totally puzzled.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:36 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 45K and am hopeing its under warrenty i made apointment aug12
Old 08-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

I just had mine resurface at 40K plus I got new brake pads. Just print out the TSB and bring it to them.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

My car had some pretty bad warped rotors, and last week, I finally got it taken care of. The dealer actually replaced my rotors and even the calipers for some reason. I am not going to complain at all though. I am at 19k miles
Old 08-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Rx Master

i am in the middle of a fight with 2 dealers over my pads and rotors. i got the run around also saying that my car had 33 thou miles and that it was also considered normal wear and tear. i think its also crazy that some dealers are cooler then others and do these things. acuually its not the dealers , its the service manager cause my contact at the dealer is awesome and always hooks me up. hopefully i will hear back from them tom, i have a case with acura customer sercive open and i swear ill drive the car till the pads are trashed and give this car back with nothing next august if it isnt taken care of. Any others withthis problem too.
wg
Old 08-07-2002, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is there a TSB for Acura 2002 TL??
Old 08-07-2002, 05:52 AM
Banned

Add me to the list that got resurfaced and new pads in the mid 30k miles. I might add it was all under warranty and it was the 2nd resurfacing. I had a hard copy of the TSB when I took it in the 2nd time.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:00 AM
Instructor

I've got over 36,000 miles and just got my front rotors replaced and back rotors resurfaced-gratis. This is the second time I've had the car in for the brakes. They told me this would be the last freebie for the brakes, stating I must be awfully hard on them. That's BS, but I still appreciate Continental Acura taking care of the situation
Old 08-07-2002, 06:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
Originally posted by louisn
It seems like brake rotors and pads are handled differently by each Acura dealership. There is no uniformity whatsoever. I think Acura has failed to adequately train their dealers. My stepson had the same problem with a volvo. Due to bizarre circumstances a Memphis volvo dealer would not replace the front rotors under warranty but 100 miles later a Little Rock, Arkansas dealer replaced the rear rotors under warranty. I am totally puzzled.
I agree completely Louis. My pads/rotors got replaced at 50017 miles by my dealer b/c I complained. Course, I have been buying cars from these guys continuously since 86 as well. But still, Synth, you're gettin' the runaround. Maybe call/contact natn'l number and complain? That is not right and besides, the dealer gets reimbursed for work, so it's in their interests (read $$) to do this for you. I don't understand.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of these dealers are full of shit, they act like they have never seen this TSB. I had my pads replaced at 20,000 miles and the dealer gave me the run around until I showed them the TSB.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, bring the bulletin in to your dealer and ask him where in the bulletin does he see any cut off point in terms of mileage.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Re: warped rotors---dealer wont fix due to mileage

Originally posted by synth19
My rotors are warped....the dealer said since I have 31k miles, it is considered "normal wear and tear" They wont resurface under warrenty....and they said I need new pads...none of which is covered of course... Am I getting fucked here? Anyone else have these kind of issues because of their mileage?
synth19,

TOTAL BULLSHIT !!! Don't bother taking the TSB to the dealer. Call the Regional Customer Service listed in your owner's manual and report this asshole dealer to ACURA. There is nothing stated in the TSB about milage limits. Anytime a dealer has tried to get over on me, this is what I have done. My own personal survey shows that this way of responding to asshole dealers (regardless of brand) gets results and satisfaction. Anytime you think you are being treated unfairly, go over their heads to the Regional Office. Good Luck.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:13 PM
A-CL Member

Warped disks

I have a stock 99 2.3 w/ 43,000 miles that developed a real bad shimmy when I hit the brakes at high speed. The dealer (not the mfgr) turned the rotors for free when they saw how little wear the front pads had on them. In fact, the dealer argued with me that I had recently replaced the front pads, when I hadn't.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Wanna-Be A-CL Sr. Member

I took mine to the dealer AND showed them the TSB and they insisted my car already had the new brake pads and didn't need them. They said they'd turn the rotors just this once for free but thats it.. This was 3 weeks ago. Last week the tranny went. Just got the car back yesterday, and already the brakes are starting to shudder. Never happened to any of my other cars either.. It's bullshit..
Old 08-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah thanks for the tips guys, I'll call the regional office and see what they say. Another question, are the pads jacked because of the warped rotors? ie: The only reason I need new pads is because the rotors caused them. ?
Old 08-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Instructor

I faced the same problem, i went to the dealer and i told them about the tsb bulletin, and the dealer said, the pads are free only if you have over 50 percent, and im down to about 5 or 10 percent so i gotta pay

i think it all depends on your dealer

DAMN STERLING MCALL ACURA!!
Old 08-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sad

If anyone that can't get their "crummy" dealer to replace their rotors, feel free to make me an offer on my STOCK Fronts: 19K Miles on them. No problems.

Look at getting the KVRs--Cross-Drilled Fronts. They look excellent on the Car: Especially the Cadmium Silvers on a Silver Car.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Rx Master

yeh i am still fighting with my customer service rep about the TSB. i went to my dealer and he refused sayin i was at 10% and then i called C.S. they said they would look into it. today i got a call from a guy and he was fighting with me for 20 minutes sayin that on a car with 33 thou miles that brakes are wear and tear. i said look, under normal ccumstances, i have never had to replace brakes this early in a car and he agreed. He even had no idea about the TSB until i told him and even after he got it in front of him, he was still fighing with me about the wear and tear. This is bullshit, he said he was going to help me cause of my complaint but then he said he had to call my dealer and hear what they had to say. He never got back to me, so i guess ill be hearing from them tom. ill let u know when that happens,
wg
Old 08-08-2002, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by synth19
Ah thanks for the tips guys, I'll call the regional office and see what they say. Another question, are the pads jacked because of the warped rotors? ie: The only reason I need new pads is because the rotors caused them. ?
synth19,

Actually, it is the reverse. (From the mouth of the Service Manager @ my Acura dealer) "The brake pads have too much metal content, which causes the rotors to heat up too much which causes the rotors to warp from the excessive heat". This is why they replace the pads (with pads with a lower metal content) after resurfacing or replacing the rotors.

Don't forget to add your dealer to the list of shitty Acura dealers on this website (you will have to do a search, it's probably in FAQ) so others can avoid them.

Be sure and let everyone know how you make out after speaking to the Regional Office, AND after you return to the dealer to get your warranty work done.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

WTF?!?!?!?? Continental hooked you up TWO times??? That's where I brought my car in, they said I would have to pay $265 to replace the two front pads and to resurface the rotors!! WTF???!!! I dont understand why this shit is not under warrenty, this is obviously a defect in the pads, or a case of putting in the wrong pads for our car.

Originally posted by tktommy
I've got over 36,000 miles and just got my front rotors replaced and back rotors resurfaced-gratis. This is the second time I've had the car in for the brakes. They told me this would be the last freebie for the brakes, stating I must be awfully hard on them. That's BS, but I still appreciate Continental Acura taking care of the situation
Old 08-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I forgot to mention I called the acura service ppl...."a representative will contact me in a few days" we''ll see what happens
Old 08-09-2002, 06:59 PM
10th Gear

I had mine replaced at 9k miles, no cost. I also printed out the TSB and took it with me. You might want to try that.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Got 260+HP?

It's different at every dealership. Gillman Acura in North Houston where I purchased the car didn't think they could replace the pads completely so I went to Sterling McCall where the car was originally sold and serviced. The service manager there said the original brake pads had a high metal content and caused excessive heat during braking. Braking conditions vary with driving styles of course but since I wasn't the original owner of the car and I took the car back to where it had originally been serviced, the service manager hooked me up with a resurface job and the new replacement brake pads at 30K miles. All in return for an "excellent" evaluation when Acura sends out their service survey of course. I'll kindly oblige him, this time.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Rx Master

well, the customer service guy called me back and told me that since i have been a good customer with acura, and have been patient with the car thru all its probs, tranny trashed at 25 thou, and then it leaking 3 times. SO after it all, i was given this gift by them for free replacement of the brakes, now i just have to get them to do the back ones as well.
wg
Old 08-13-2002, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Here is the update! I called Customer service a few days ago...the representative called me back today after talking to the dealership...the service rep mentioned the TSB I told her about as well as why I felt the rotors should be covered under warrenty....the dealership agreed to cover the pads and resurface the rotors...for free! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!! Acura Service ROCKS!!!!!!!! Saved myself $260!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:12 AM
Instructor

I had a similar experience with Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, Ca. They told me the vibration I was getting was my imagination.
They also made many notations about the mods I did, yet the parts department, which is like 1 foot away from service, SELLS the mods that I have....service even installs them.

Anyway, these a**holes aside, I went back to Oakland Acura, where I bought the car. Daryl, who is an excellent service guy there, had the brakes replaced free, like it should be. He also helped me with the cruise control, which is broken. It is apparently due to the CAI being installed...now they did the install, but they can't find any paperwork to prove that, so they were going to charge me for the $300 part.

In the end, Daryl got Acura to pay for it as a courtesy. You got to love that!!!

They now do Honda service, so you can bet we will take our new Honda Odessey there as well.

Bye for now...Michael
Old 08-14-2002, 12:25 AM
Rx Master

Well today was the day and my car was fixed for free under the warranty for the tsb. It was actually funny cause i let about 3 people that were there know about the site that has all the tsbs on it, its www.alldata.com if anyone needs to find one. well my car is all better, and im a happy camper. lataz
wg
Old 08-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

Congrats!! I just recently found out about the brake thing and took it into the local Acura dealer. I didn't mention the TSB but they were very straight forward about it. In fact I am thinking about having them install the Comptech headers for me becasue they were so cool about it. They turned the rotors and put new pads on for it for free! Thanks to Ball Acura in Natl City CA
Old 08-14-2002, 11:27 AM
2001 Black CL-S

NEW rotors and pads at 37k! Just had it done this weekend!