warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warped rotors

My rotors are warped and I just set-up an appointment online to get them resurfaced. I've noticed a few postings of other peoples rotors being warped also. I was wondering how many people have or had warped rotors. Did you get them fixed at the dealer free of charge or what was the outcome?
Old 07-04-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 89si:
<STRONG>My rotors are warped and I just set-up an appointment online to get them resurfaced. I've noticed a few postings of other peoples rotors being warped also. I was wondering how many people have or had warped rotors. Did you get them fixed at the dealer free of charge or what was the outcome? </STRONG>

I think it mainly depends on the condition of your barake pads and the mileage. If you have more than 15 or 20 thousand miles, they will judge by the conidition of your brake pads.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:41 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just had mine machined today (Again) for the second time. First time was 3,000 miles ago... one more time and I am demanding rotors and pads! no if, ands or buts.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:34 AM
Instructor

I had my brake warped, and had them replaced all-together. First of all machining the brakes is veeeery close to illegal. If you machine the rotors the width of the rotor decreases, that causes changes in braking distance and therefore the car has to be re-rated for insurance. But thats officially, un-oficially everyone still does it.

Second thing, if the are warped (as in actually bent out of shape, and not just the surface damage) putting them through a machine is not going to do shit.

When I was getting a fix for mine, the dealership machined them first. When I was leaving the dealership my brakes were so messed up I almost ran into the car in front of me, so I got them to replace them alltogether.

Oh and DEFINATELY do not machine them more than once if you insist on machining them in the first place.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:35 AM
Banned

I had the rotors trued on my CLS at 20k miles. The dealer did a "one time customer courtesy" repair. The disgusting part about the breaks on my car is they had an EASY 20 k miles. The car was never breaked hard and the ABS only went off twice while I tested it in the rain. No way they should have needed that repair. Lets face it the CLS's breaks are one of its weak points.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Seems like the brake rotors is a problem on the Acura CLS cars. Maybe we should file a class action suit against Acura if they do not resolve the rotor problem.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:51 AM
Rod
Drifting

Yeah, our brakes suck! A class action suit would be nice, free Brembo kit for everyone, I wish.

I got my rotors resurfaced and pads replaced about 3 weeks ago with a little less than 10K miles n my car, ridiculous. At least my dealer didn't give me a hassle though, as soon as I said that the steering wheel was vibrating when I braked, they said they would resurface the rotors. They told me that the pads that originally came with the car had too much metallic content and that they were now using different pads, which I guess could be the same thing other dealers are saying when they put on "softer" pads. I think resurfacing is only a temporary solution, but they told me that with the new pads it would be fine. I only had them done about 3 weeks ago and already think that it won't be long before I have to go back. I have to take my car in on Saturday anyway so I'll ask them to take another look at my brakes and see what they tell me.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:59 AM
6 speed...

Originally posted by Arik:
<STRONG>First of all machining the brakes is veeeery close to illegal. If you machine the rotors the width of the rotor decreases, that causes changes in braking distance and therefore the car has to be re-rated for insurance. But thats officially, un-oficially everyone still does it.
</STRONG>
whaaa? manufacturers provide minimum thickness specs for the purpose of machining the rotors. a full brake overhaul generally includes this service and it isn't illegal and certainly doesn't affect insurance ratings. some mechanics, however, replace the rotors on certain cars as a matter of course because, despite remaining above the specified minimum thickness after being turned, the rotors continue to perform unacceptably.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: tankmonkey ]
Old 07-05-2001, 12:24 PM
KISS MY

I need to get min done.. They have just started to shutter.. I have some miles on them all highway driving..
Old 07-05-2001, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
I just had my rotors turned for the 1st time 2 days ago. The service mgr told me if it happens again, they'll replace the rotors/pads under warranty. Apparently they are having quite a bit of problems w/ the warping problems. I'd push the dealer to comply and get you new parts asap.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:46 PM
Ult
Instructor

I just called my local austin dealer and my main service guy (good guy) said he hasn't had any CL's come in for any brake issues or rotor issues. I told him the usual story that at 60mph wheel shudders and when i apply brakes it shudders more. He said he's had some TL's come in for those probs. I told him about acura using more mettalic pads and replacing with softer ones. He said he's never heard of that. <sigh>

my case really isn't that bad. I told him if he does an alignment and checks the pads and rotors, if the the alignment doesnt show anything I'd at least pay for it so im not wasting his time.

However, he *did* say that if its the rotors he'll have them resurfaced. ech. I'd rather have them replace then resurfaced. I assume ya'll agree with that.

Is that acura's policy? to resurface vs replace?
Old 07-05-2001, 12:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does one tell if their brake rotors are warped?
Old 07-05-2001, 12:55 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Took my car in last week for this problem. The dealer "replaced" rotors and pads N/C.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Rock Dog ]
Old 07-05-2001, 12:55 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Zapata:
<STRONG>how does one tell if their brake rotors are warped?</STRONG>
Well, my steering wheel would vibrate when I would brake, even softly, from anywhere over approximately 50 MPH.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:32 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
To the one who asked how can I tell, just bring your car up to 90 and apply your brakes, somewhat hard. If you feel ANYTHING, remotely vibrating, you have likely warped rotors ! I brought my in and they change pads and re-surfaced the rotors under warranty ! I had 30K miles, but NO aggressive wear on the pads ! That's is what they look for ! They look for sign of driving the hell out of your car !
Old 07-05-2001, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

my sevice rep said that acura knows there is a problem with both the rotors and the pads. they are on order now and i am getting them free. she said that they are both with different compostions.
do not accept less than that fro myour dealer.
by the way, ihave less then 10,000 miles.
i have never had this with any other car i have owned, and i have had a lot.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:15 PM
SatinCL

best advice you'll get regarding this subject is:

Go out and get a torque wrench.

Even slightly torque imbalances will cause warping. In most cases a mild shimmy will correct with retorquing.

Once a month check tire/spare pressures and torque to 85ft/lbs.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I spoke to Cory at Acura Client Services 800 382 2238 last Friday about the brake rotor problem on our cars and he informed me that the brake rotor problem is caused by driving cars with hot rotors through water puddles. After I informed him that I did not believe his story he asked for the VIN number of my car and informed that my car should not have brake rotor problem. My CLS was assembled in 6/00. I know that Honda Accords had brake rotor problems for years. Could it be that some of our cars have defective brake rotors?
Old 07-08-2001, 01:08 PM
Instructor

BSK181
Where are you getting your car serviced and what is the name of your service manager?