VTEC Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VTEC Controller

Has any one put it in there cl. if anyone has could i please get some help with the pin codes for the ecu. thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Beware of leakage

Yes, people have, however, it has been proven that the VTEC changeover is set superbly from the factory, any adjustments in it could cause a LOSS in power. This has been said by many, but the main person who I always saw say it, was Scalbert who has owned one of the most powerful CLS's on this forum.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

If you want to known the settings I just dynoed mine but the settings have to be changed a little at the track depending on temp. I just set mine at 75% when we dynoed
Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Instructor

can anyone help with this?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Hey all, i just installed my controller... i definitely noticed a difference. When the vtec hits, it hits hard. I love it. I still need help tuning it, but i play around with it a lot and try to see what works the best. All i have messed with is the vtec control, nothing with the air/fuel ratios... I DID however, notice that i can push the pedal to the floor and it seems to not go anywhwhere for a sec, but when the vtec hits it MOVES! I had it installed at a local import shop here in washington called "FASTLANE" amd i dont think they tuned anything on it. They just installed it, which kinda makes me mad seeing how i thought they would tune it as well. I have a buddy who's going to work for honda motorsports and he will be helping me with all the bugs... Anyone elses insight would be greatly appreciated as we are all in here to help one another.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

One more thing, this may sound dumb, but i can still install some sort of chip right? All the Apexi did was plug into the ecu, so couldnt i still chip it to add even more power? Oh i found a set of used COMPTECH headers for $550 should i pick them up?

Is there any other headers that work for our cars? I know OBX, Megan, Alphawerks, and a couple others all make em for the 3.0 V6, but they all come from the same place and they all leak unless you get them machined...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Suzuka Master

I hate seeing these posts.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 240CLS
Has any one put it in there cl. if anyone has could i please get some help with the pin codes for the ecu. thanks
Don't waste your time. Put the money elsewhere.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by slick_CL
Hey all, i just installed my controller... i definitely noticed a difference. When the vtec hits, it hits hard.
The difference you notice is called optimism.

It is a simple switch and changing the RPM point will not give you more power. Even if it could be changed and power gained, it would require fuel and timing changes to make the gains. Just changing RPM point can actually cause you to lose power.

However, without a full compliment of other items and specific tuning you will not see anything. In fact, you may actually lose power. Even if tuned on a dyno the gains will be minimal to the point where it couldn't be felt.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by scalbert

I've stopped responding to most of them
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Beware of leakage

Steve, they don't listen, and I always try to reference you
Old 08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

What is funny is that this occurs everywhere. Just about daily someone asks on AW (AudiWorld) how they can get their car to make the "phssst" sound. Acurazine is tame in comparison.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Beware of leakage

What is funny is that this occurs everywhere. Just about daily someone asks on AW (AudiWorld) how they can get their car to make the "phssst" sound. Acurazine is tame in comparison.
Silly BOV's
Old 09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Cruisin'

Well hey bro, i hate seeing mods like you who KNOW SO MUCH, but are just dicks and dont help anyone out. I asked a simple question, and i gave my honest opinion. You can call it optimism, but i know what i felt. I have it tuned a lil' and i am running a cold air, and exhaust already and i think i would notice a difference if there was one. So fuck you Mr. Mod. Did i mention it was a first gen too? Maybe you didnt feel any difference, but i sure did. Everyone in my area who i have talked to has said the same thing upon installing it. Man, sure is nice to be able to come here to try and learn and get answers, and just get flamed. Go fuck yourself asshole
Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Well hey bro, i hate seeing mods like you who KNOW SO MUCH, but are just dicks and dont help anyone out. I asked a simple question, and i gave my honest opinion. You can call it optimism, but i know what i felt. I have it tuned a lil' and i am running a cold air, and exhaust already and i think i would notice a difference if there was one. So fuck you Mr. Mod. Did i mention it was a first gen too? Maybe you didnt feel any difference, but i sure did. Everyone in my area who i have talked to has said the same thing upon installing it. Man, sure is nice to be able to come here to try and learn and get answers, and just get flamed. Go fuck yourself asshole
Don't be a pathetic child. You are old enough to drink but yet convey yourself as not being old enough to drive. You may feel better making the remarks you did but you have now shown yourself to be a fool.

Consider my statements based on experience. I have tuned many cars to know what provides power and what does not on a specific model. I made 369 documented WHP in a CL-S, which came about from testing this platform. You have optimistic feel for a gain in power and one which makes no mechanical sense. You can certainly put two and two together to understand how invalid your claims were.

If you want to prove yourself, go to a dyno and gets some hard numbers. Otherwise you are misleading other forum members which is the reason for the rebuttal.

In addition, if you have a 1st gen why are you posting in the 2nd gen forum?

Lastly, you may want to learn a few things about power and feeling gains. In general, it takes at least 5% change for you to feel a difference. This is not me, it is well known around racing circles. You are not going to get a gain in power from just changing the VTEC engagement point. You also have to change the fueling and timing which you even said you did not do. Even if a power gain was had it would only be for a small RPM band which again, would be hard to discern.

So please, stop BSing or being overly optimistic. Go to a track or dyno and prove me wrong. I have my own tested numbers to support my claims, do the same. But I suspect that if you reply it will be in the same immature manner as before. Meaning, no substance at all. At a minimum, take a picture of your controller installation in the pinouts used to give some credibility.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Beware of leakage

Ok buddy, I will tell you this, Scalbert is one of the most helpful people you will find around these second gen. parts, and in general as I have dealt with him on a potential car transaction. You no not what you speak of.
This man is one of an Elite group who has done TONS for the Acura CL community.
Your comments are way out of line man, better watch yourself or an attitude like that will not last long around here.
The only flames your getting is from the gas you keep pouring on yourself.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Aren't we here to help each other?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Yous guys may think I'm a moron, just like the other ones, but here goes. Hopefully I won't get

I bought a V-AFC in hopes of just doing NA power stuff, just I/H/E. But I recently saved up some money, and I think now I'm going for the CT S/C. yay. Anyway. Since that comes with the Greddy e-manage, would installing the V-AFC be totally useless? Should I just go ahead and sell that?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:29 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

The comptech supercharger doesn't include the emanage. You would have to buy that seperately. As far as I know, the E-manage can do more things along with changing the vtec engagement point so I would say sell the vafc if you are planning on getting the emanage. Just my $.02.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

The only reason to get the e-manage with the Comptech S/C'er is to play with injector pulse width and timing retard. The FMU provided by Comptech, along with the fuel pump and ESM work just fine. IMO... unless you've exhausted all your other horsepower adder options... the E-Manage isn't required.

The E-Manage Ultimate on the other hand may prove to be a great tool for N/A and S/C'ed cars.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Hrm. Thanks. Not sure why I thought it came with it. lol. How much extra is it?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:25 PM
ImportJunkie.net [SYTFU]

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend has a b18c5(ITR motor) powered integra...dyno proven he gained about 7 or 8 hp with the apex vafcII...i don't know would it make much of a difference on the output of the CL motor...compression and other thing about the 2 motors...
Old 09-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

I thought they have the same compression as ours do? 10.5-1?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kspekCLS
my friend has a b18c5(ITR motor) powered integra...dyno proven he gained about 7 or 8 hp with the apex vafcII...i don't know would it make much of a difference on the output of the CL motor...compression and other thing about the 2 motors...

Sorry, but anything less than 10 hp isn't dyno proven. Too many variables come into play when a car is on a dyno. Perfect example. I ran my car back to back runs and increase 12 hp.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:14 PM
ImportJunkie.net [SYTFU]

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Sorry, but anything less than 10 hp isn't dyno proven. Too many variables come into play when a car is on a dyno. Perfect example. I ran my car back to back runs and increase 12 hp.

OGAY. i was just stating some facts... its all you mr stevee
Old 09-04-2005, 06:17 PM
ImportJunkie.net [SYTFU]

Originally Posted by All Mine
I thought they have the same compression as ours do? 10.5-1?
not sure but im pretty sure b18c5 will have higher compression i'd have to check up on that..think the ratio is like 11 ta 1
Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Team Owner

OGAY. i was just stating some facts... its all you mr stevee

One problem... it wasn't a fact No need to get all pissy.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Steve. You should drive down for Nopi in two weeks. It'll be fun, I promise.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
didnt read all the posts ...but the two reasons i could think of that this guy might truly feel his VTEC change over are if its set much earlier or later than factory....earlier he has this power loss then when he finally reaches the RPM where it should be set at the power comes back on ...and later you'd have a big torque/hp drop off then it would come on hard once engaged..he could very well feell a big difference even though he gained nothing and perhaps lost performance...i know for example people complained about the hondata ecu reflash on the RSX's stating the power felt less but when dyno'd there was 15/15 more...but the transitions were smoothed out taking away much of the VTEC hit
Old 09-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

The VTEC hit is so much fun, though.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Steve. You should drive down for Nopi in two weeks. It'll be fun, I promise.
You payin' for gas?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by johntypes
Yes, which is why incorrect information is refuted so that others do not assume they will gain something.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I bought a V-AFC in hopes of just doing NA power stuff, just I/H/E. But I recently saved up some money, and I think now I'm going for the CT S/C. yay. Anyway. Since that comes with the Greddy e-manage, would installing the V-AFC be totally useless? Should I just go ahead and sell that?
Sell it. It has limited functionality on the J32A2 platform.

Now if you want to install the EU (E-Manage Ultimate), I can give you a hand with that. I have been eager to get my hands on one, install it in a J32A2 platform and dyno/tune it. You buy the unit and I will pay for the dyno time.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
. You buy the unit and I will pay for the dyno time.
steve wanna come to florida?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Two different engines...

But even if there were gains to be had with the VAFC in the J32A2. It would require more than just changing the VTEC switch over point which is what was stated here.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by typeR
steve wanna come to florida?
Naw, I don't care for the weather this year.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by typeR
didnt read all the posts ...but the two reasons i could think of that this guy might truly feel his VTEC change over are if its set much earlier or later than factory....earlier he has this power loss then when he finally reaches the RPM where it should be set at the power comes back on ...and later you'd have a big torque/hp drop off then it would come on hard once engaged..he could very well feell a big difference even though he gained nothing and perhaps lost performance...i know for example people complained about the hondata ecu reflash on the RSX's stating the power felt less but when dyno'd there was 15/15 more...but the transitions were smoothed out taking away much of the VTEC hit

Good point. A loss of power in one area with a sudden increase to normal in another could give the impression of an overall increase. When, in fact, the total output was less.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by johntypes
No doubt... I even try and help, and I don't even have a CLS anymore, but of all the time I have spent reading topics and relating them to my CL when I had it, I have learned TONS from this forum, and even when others say "search" I'll even reply to the thread with some point in the right direction.

So in this thread, there has been helpful and factual advice given.

two totally different engines. I have a B18c3 (10:6:1 CR) powered Integra and yes, the VAFC can help the B18 motor more so than the J32A2. I could benefit from one because at my VTEC changover @ 4400 RPM's on my Dyno, there was a noticeable drop in power before the secondaries of my intake manifold opened and brought the power back up to where it should be.

EDIT: I see Scalb's has taken care of most of this... I started typing before I went to dinner 1.5 hours ago
Old 09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Team Owner

I need the EU
Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

How much extra does the EU cost? So if I don't get it, I should still dump the VAFC and just use the FMU I get with the SC package?

Originally Posted by mrsteve
you payin' for gas?
I'll give you $30 towards gas, when you get here. That'll get you a full tank.

Originally Posted by Scalbert
Now if you want to install the EU (E-Manage Ultimate), I can give you a hand with that. I have been eager to get my hands on one, install it in a J32A2 platform and dyno/tune it. You buy the unit and I will pay for the dyno time.
If I can pick the dyno place....

How much extra is the E-manage?

Quick Reply: VTEC Controller