VSA Trouble!! - Dealer says LOWERING CAR is warranty problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 05:46 AM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA Trouble!! - Dealer says LOWERING CAR is warranty problem!!!

Hi.

Drove on the freeway yesterday and all of a sudden, the VSA and the ! triangle light comes on and stays lit. I stopped the car when I got off the freeway and pulled into a parking lot to stop and restart the car. Both lights don't come on...but when in gear and moving again, both the VSA and ! triangle lights turn on.

I was close to the dealer in Seattle..so i pulled in to have it looked at. 1.4 hours later, I get my car back and no work has been done.

Reason for VSA + ! triangle lights to appear:
Steering sensor malfunctioning. Parts will be ordered BUT due to the fact that my car was LOWERED with comptech springs (in which Acura of Bellevue has installed), the regional service manager must be called to authorize the fix under warranty.

I'll get a call today and whether I get the service done under warranty depends on the service manager's answer. Question is did comptech springs (just plain ol' lowering the car) damage the sensor? Since this CLS was lowered by Acura with comptech springs, shouldn't this be covered under warranty? Why would I want to install springs if it is going to damage my VSA sensor/steering sensor?

Can someone shed the light on this issue IF the scenario was that this service isn't covered under warranty? I keep hearing about the Magnusson clum law (sp?) but how the heck am I suppose to argue about this since I don't understand the technicalities of VSA and how will lowering the car damage sensors on THIS particular car?
Old 10-05-2001, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's posts like this that make me realize one thing:

I'm not lowering my car 1 mm untill all the "bugs" are truly washed out. This is a lesson I've learned over the years.

Sorry to hear about your ride, bro. Hope all comes out o.k. Please keep us informed.

Jim
Old 10-05-2001, 09:59 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I think they are probably jsut hassling you. I mwan, really--just about everybody on this site had comptech springs and not a single person has had this problem. Good luck and keep in mind that you are in the right here.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That's horsecrap right there. I have had these springs on since June and not one problem or VSA issues. Wayne, Jens?
Old 10-05-2001, 10:36 AM
Drifting

If the indicators are coming on because the "lowering" is fooling the sensors then you live with it. But they say the sensor(s) are bad, and there is no way lowering can cause that (unless the person who did the install screwed up).
Old 10-05-2001, 11:38 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

I'd think since the dealer installed the springs, it should be under warranty. Mine were installed by Park Ave Acura, and it is fully warranteed... and, i seriously doubt it is the lowering that causing it. *knocking on wood* so far my car's VSA has been better than ever since the lowering.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

I posted the contents of an article from the September, 2001 Acura "Frontline Forum" on the Acura-TL.com temporary CL site a couple of days ago. The acticle discusses how mods might affect VSA activation. I can't figure out how to transfer it over to this site, but you can still check it out over there.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
if they replace the sensor, and it fixes the problem...then it would NOT be because of the car being lower, right?

because if it was because of the lowering, then it would occur again considering the car is still lowered.

so if it's a bad sensor, then that means that it was defective, or damaged while the car was getting lowered, which means that if it's not warranty (not defective), then whoever lowered the car is responsible for damaging it during the installation.

i think the only way lowering would make vsa act up is because of vehicle dynamics (ie it would activate vsa sooner/more often, but not malfuction).

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: mrdeeno ]
Old 10-05-2001, 01:26 PM
Meat Popsicle

UU,
What do you mean by the VSA has been better than ever?
Old 10-05-2001, 01:26 PM
Drifting

How could it be B/C its lowered??? If you have 4 adults and a trink full of luggage...then I am thinking that your car would be way lower than with the springs....right?
Old 10-05-2001, 03:52 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by lilfeat:
<STRONG>UU,
What do you mean by the VSA has been better than ever?</STRONG>
oh... just a figure of speech... to me the VSA is just like before my car was lowered
Old 10-05-2001, 06:02 PM
6SPDCLS

Thanks everyone for a reply...

I called the dealer this afternoon. The district service manager is "asking his engineer" regarding the defective sensor.

I asked whether "lower the car caused the sensor to malfunction" or "was it just a bad sensor". The scenario now is that it is a "defective sensor"...BUT "for the district service manager's piece of mind", he'd like to confirm it with his engineer on whether lowering the car did in deed cause the malfunction.

What I don't understand (and they not saying) is how the hell does it have to do with lowering the car? I do believe the VSA is disabled because BOTH VSA and the ! triangle light is on constantly. I haven't tried to make the car skid...but I don't want to either.

I baby this car 90% of the time. The springs and sways were replaced with comptech mods because this car felt like a boat (it still does). <sigh> I hate all this crap that is happening. I think I'm going to have my original springs put back in. I don't know if this "bad VSA sensor" is going to happen again after they replace it. I have just 11,090 miles on the car...it's been almost one full year.

Hope all of you won't have to go through what I'm going through. At least I don't have that problem of the 3900rpm air valve not opening.

I'm getting notified later on today whether this crap is covered under warranty. I pray to God it is.

Forgot to mention this car is #22,0XX

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: DDT-TypeS ]
Old 10-05-2001, 06:17 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't get it, if the dealer install the springs, they have to fix it. Even if it is caused by the drop, they still have to fix it.
Old 10-05-2001, 06:30 PM
6SPDCLS

HEY EVERYONE!!

I got a phone call back from the dealer again!

The definitive ANSWER is:

"There is absolutely NO CORRELATION between lowering the car and the VSA sensor going bad"

That was from the district service engineer. I guess lowering your car won't affect the VSA!!!

This is one awesome day since everything is covered under warranty! So lay your doubts to rest now..I know I have...get those comptech springs and enjoy!!

People in Seattle, go to Acura of Southcenter. I've had my cars serviced thru them and they are absolutely the best!

Now if they can only fix that damn passenger seat rattle...
Old 10-05-2001, 06:38 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Have you noticed any problems with your transmission?

The VSA and the ! lights have been known to come on when there are problems with the transmission.

Just keep an eye out for this one.
Old 10-05-2001, 06:48 PM
6SPDCLS

Actually, I think the transmission is ok. I don't really know..but the car doesn't drive differently than when I originally purchased it.

I don't think I've noticed the erradic gear changes or "stuttering/hesitation" when changing gears. I never took my car to a closed circuit track nor did I ever WOT more than 5% of the time since I bought the car a year ago.

I am scared too of transmission problems noted by everyone who has had it. I hope I don't have that problem...

This VSA defective sensor is actually part of the "steering sensor"? I forgot what was listed on the paperwork. I kinda doubt it's the transmission because there are no signs of the car acting any different when driven.

PS- I didn't mention that when the car is not in gear (P/N), the VSA and the ! triangle lights never come on. It is only when I put the car in forward motion AND I turn the steering wheel to make turns, those 2 light indicators come on.

Originally posted by SidVicious:
<STRONG>Have you noticed any problems with your transmission?

The VSA and the ! lights have been known to come on when there are problems with the transmission.

Just keep an eye out for this one. </STRONG>
[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: DDT-TypeS ]
Old 10-05-2001, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TypeSDragon:
<STRONG>I just don't get it, if the dealer install the springs, they have to fix it. Even if it is caused by the drop, they still have to fix it.</STRONG>
what are you talking about? that doesnt make sense at all. in a few years, your stock shocks will die, you think honda is going to buy new ones for you?

DDT-TypeS, good news dude! thats damn good news!
Old 10-08-2001, 09:30 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by uu:
<STRONG>I'd think since the dealer installed the springs, it should be under warranty. Mine were installed by Park Ave Acura, and it is fully warranteed... and, i seriously doubt it is the lowering that causing it. *knocking on wood* so far my car's VSA has been better than ever since the lowering.</STRONG>
acura does not warranty aftermarket parts, if you have a warranty its between comptech and park ave
Old 10-08-2001, 09:54 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would Comptech say they are Acura/Honda friendly of something like this happened. Soooooo many people on this forum alone have lowered thier car and none of them have had problems..........The dealer is just looking for a pussy way out of covering the repair under warranty.