Volvo S60R/V70R day at Shea Stadium *review & pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 10:35 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo S60R/V70R day at Shea Stadium *review & pics*

had all day to think about this, so i'm gonna try and give my complete view now...

Prelude: Volvo is touring around the country promoting these new cars, and what better time to promote them less than a week from the NY Car Show than right here at Shea Stadium

Schedule: sign in at the appropriate time, have some munchies, tea, and coffee, watch a video presentation, look at some press reviews, and check out a "floor" model S60R for about 20 minutes...live presentation and demonstrations followed...finally, we were gonna test drive ourselves, so let's go through everything in more detail...

the live presentation went over a lot of what we already know...the 3 driving modes, the 4C chasis design, the Brembo package, etc etc etc, so we don't need to rehash that part really...then there was the demonstration...check out this pic below (apologies for lack of clarity, it was a bit dark inside

the reason for the rack was to demonstrate how the AWD system works in the S60R...it's a system that, if needed, can transfer power to just 1 wheel...the ramp was made of steel rollers, like the rollers in any UPS/FedEx plant that packages travel on from one place to another...in certain areas of the ramp, there was a small skidpad where 1 wheel would rest on so the car can b launched on that pad, and they demonstrated all 4 wheels

then after the demonstration, we split up into groups where there were about 3/4 instructors per group...these instructors were hired by Volvo to participate in this tour, so they're not biased or at least TRY not to b biased in their takes on the performance...my instructors come from backgrounds including SCCA, Formula 3, Formula 2, 24-hour Lemans, Sebring, and Grand Touring championships, so the advice they gave was IMO excellent considering what we were gonna do

based on what u wanted to drive, u could grab the 6-speed S60R or opt for the auto/Geartronic V70R...i felt more comfy driving the Geartronic since i'm well-versed in the S60 2.5T and didn't feel like making an arse outta myself relearning stick in front of my group of 20 ...in the pics below, this is what we did...

we went out with the instructors in groups of 3 or 4...first, the instructors would drive a lap slowly in Comfort mode, then they'd switch to Advanced mode and turn the DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control) off totally (u can reduce it also for a half-n-half thing if u want) and went all out rippin through the course as fast as they can...after a lap in Advanced mode, the instructor would get out, and we'd do 1 lap in Comfort, followed by 2 laps in Advanced as fast as we can...needless to say, since im in my 3rd year in autox, i hesistated not for a second to push the wagon as hard as i could, but i'll get more into that later

after everyone had their turns, the instructors set up a competition...everyone drives 1 more time in Advanced mode against each other...winner gets a neat lil remote control car...now this isn't just against each other in the group...this is against everyone in ALL groups, which was about 50 i'd say not including the instructors...i finished 3rd overall, only 0.7 behind the leader!!!

now, for impressions:
fit and finish is good...quality of parts is typical Volvo, so there's nothing really special there...the speedo guages r cool tho...layout of the controls is extensive, but u get used to it fairly quickly b/c of the sizes and shapes of the controls...i found the clutch pedal to b a lil too far to the right, so my seating position doesn't feel all that comfy...as in the older/current S60's and tiptronic cars nowadays, u control 1st - 2nd, which is nice...the DSTC was hella confusing...u gotta hit the button supposedly 5 times just to turn it off...i musta pushed it like 7 or 8 times just to get it partially off, and it took forever just to get it totally off...even the instructors were baffled about it, so altho the concept is interesting and IMO necessary, the method of getting it off is poor...indash CD player is only 4CD's...engine sound is what a 5 cyl engine sounds like, a cross between a 4cyl and 6 cyl sound (think of it like a tinny 6 cyl)...the twin intercoolers cause the nose of the S60/V70 to b enlongated, but it's not really noticeable, and the turbo noise is minimal, so u hear more engine...as for the test track, the acceleration is VERY impressive considering the weight of the car...300hp with 298ft/lbs mated to a 3700/3800pound car/wagon...0-60 in a very impressive 5.4s for the S60 and 5.6s for the V70...Comfort mode was exactly it...noticeable shock absorbing abilities...minimal body rolling to maintain quality comfort...a nice luxurious ride, no doubt...in Advance mode, tho, the road noise and harsh pavement bare their ugly heads, but that's to b expected...the sports car qualities in the car shine...WOT acceleration is so good, u can start off in 2nd and sacrifice nearly nothing since peak torque starts at 1950rpm's...steering response is clean and precise...toe-in is predictable and accurate thanks to the Brembo brakes and the 4C chasis system that adjusts itself 500 times a second or once every other mili-second...the Brembo brakes with 4-piston calipers felt outstanding, ESP on the wagon considering its size and weight...NO fading, no pulsating, and no squealing after hard, continuous use...tires r also a GREAT compliment to the brakes and lightweight rims...Pirelli PZero Rosso's (235/45/ZR18)...under HEAVY braking and cornering, the tires stood strong with slight sliding

Bottom-line:
it's amazing to me how a factory prepped car can have 2 TOTALLY different personalities, personalities separated by the push of a button...given the fact that our test cars today were NOT modded in any way shape or form (not even additional air was added to the tires), that just adds to the favorable impressions...is the $36K starting price tag justified??? hmmm good ques...according to the numbers, it would seem so, altho i wonder how often one would wanna drive around all the time in Advanced mode feeling every bump and crease in the road...this car reminds me of the Vigen in that it takes a nice sedan in the model lineup and juices it up to b a performance car, it's just the times u get to really test out the sports-car qualities will prolly b more seldom than daily driving to the supermarket or picking up the kids...this is where the pricetag starts to b a lil much...plus the options available take it north of $40K to roughly $43K, but it's still reasonable...considering the RL is just a tad more, tho, i'd say yer getting a lot more of a car with the S60R...i'd suggest u guys check it out and have a fun time test driving it!!!

some more pix...

if u can't read the literature, go to my Fotki page and click on 'Get Original Uploaded Photo' for full-size
http://public.fotki.com/ScooterKin/c...r_day_at_shea/
Old 04-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Volvo S60R/V70R day at Shea Stadium *review & pics*

Originally posted by Scooter
[B]now, for impressions:
fit and finish is good...quality of parts is typical Volvo, so there's nothing really special there
I assume you mean this in a good way, the quality of the interior was great. We fucked around with the black one inside for like 30 minutes, everything fit tight and the attention to detail was about as good as a $40k-$50k car could get. Even the gauge cluser overhang was stitched leather or leather "like" material (that was a really nice touch).
Old 04-13-2003, 10:54 PM
'Cooter

u assume correctly, but...

a lil wood wouldn't hurt, tho
Old 04-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Scooter
u assume correctly, but...

a lil wood wouldn't hurt, tho
I think you can get those Wood kits for the center console from the dealer, if you happen to need some Wood.:o
Old 04-13-2003, 11:34 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent and thorough review scoot...

a couple of items about that interior. Not a big fan of how the stick looks...just looks too plain and cheap. And is that hole next to the CD player pretty much useless?
Old 04-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by chikai
excellent and thorough review scoot...

a couple of items about that interior. Not a big fan of how the stick looks...just looks too plain and cheap. And is that hole next to the CD player pretty much useless?
The shifter is not cheap at all actually, its solid and well made.....actually brightens the center console a bit.

I would rather see something else in the dash, but I guess you could use it to hold something. Matter of fact, I didn't really pay attention to it. When you're sitting in the car, the dash looks good as a whole.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I have a TL-S and an MDX. I'm trading the MDX for a V70R. I never really needed an SUV, just cargo space for dogs and hauling. I also need AWD because I live where it snows. I put a depost down on a V70R when the first press release came out because I knew they were going to go fast and Volvo's only importing about 500 for MY2004. Equipped with the optional natural leather interior, R exclusive paint color, factory phone, On Call Plus (same as OnStar but uses satellites instead of cell phone lines), Navi, 300w ProLogic stereo, rain sensor wipers, heated seats, laminted side glass, and the first 30K of maintainence - the car is $46K. Closest competitor will be the new S4 Avant which is expect to base near $50K. There are two initial allocations, May and June. Both are sold out. Next wave isn't supposed to hit until August at the earliest. The best part is that not only is this probably the fastest sport wagon available in the U.S., it has all the safety stuff Volvo's famous for - boron steel frame, side curtain airbags, side airbags, multi-stage front air bags and anti-whiplash seats. I drove a brand new XC70 in Dallas last week and I have to tell you, it seemed as solid as my previous M-B C36. My car's due in port June 10, I'll post pics after I get it. I can't wait to have it dyno'd cause Volvo's supposed to be notoriously conservative with their numbers. Another interesting factoid, torque is reduced from 295 to 258 on the auto R's - everyone's guessing the current Volvo auto can't handle the torque.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys I dont keep w/ volvo. What is the all the hype about this car for? Just curious
Old 04-14-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro

[soapbox]

Not meant as a nit-picking of anybody, but the diagram of the Haldex coupling should tell everyone that this car is part-time AWD, most-time FWD. And it will never only direct power to one wheel, despite the demonstration. What was seen is only a demonstration of 4-wheel traction control working in concert with basic differential action.

Being that the coupling is on the driveshaft, you guys should be able to tell that the front wheels will never be disengaged. Hence torque will always be put through them. The car will never put more torque through the rear wheels than in the front, which unfortunately is the essential key to getting GT-R-like performance out of a front-engined AWD car, instead of 'merely' S4-like performance.

If you listen carefully to the Tiff Needell monologue, you will notice that he's careful with his terms to say that in midcorner (I believe?) the car puts "more power through the rear wheels", being careful not to say "most power through the rear wheels". "More" can be relative to a previous state of being for the rear wheels, and not necessarily relative to the fronts. "Most" doesn't give you that degree of freedom, even though just 51% of power would qualify.

The 'rack' test would be passed by the A4, ML320, MDX, RX330 and many other cars with AWD traction control. The car senses slip in any of the three tires, so it clamps them down with brakes and forces differential action to turn just the one wheel. It doesn't work when the car is already in motion, which is when it would matter in a performance context as opposed to the 'getting unstuck' aspect.

(In the specific case of the center-diffless Volvo, the front wheels will be 'slipped' a little bit (think ABS pulsation) to allow the rear to work.)

Never liked Haldex-type systems in a front-engined sporting car. Never have, never will. But it should work wonders in a mid or rear-engined car, where the primary driven axle is the rear one, though.

[/soapbox]
Old 04-14-2003, 02:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DtEW
[soapbox]

Not meant as a nit-picking of anybody, but the diagram of the Haldex coupling should tell everyone that this car is part-time AWD, most-time FWD...

...Never liked Haldex-type systems in a front-engined sporting car. Never have, never will. But it should work wonders in a mid or rear-engined car, where the primary driven axle is the rear one, though.

[/soapbox]
This is from a review of the R's:

"All-Wheel-Drive

The unique new Haldex all-wheel-drive system, implemented in Volvo products last year, has recently found its way into all new Volvos built on the corporate "P2" or large car platform. With 2004 availability in examples of the S60, V70, XC70, S80 and XC90, the system is not entirely unique in the product line, however a new aggressive and more rear-biased software program for the system is unique to the R models and diverts up to 75% of the engine power to the rear wheels.

The system itself uses a hydraulically actuated clutch to proportion drive to the front and rear based on slippage. With open differentials at the front and rear, slip from right to left at both ends of the car is controlled by Volvo's DSTC system.

When this new all-wheel drive solution was first introduced in the S60 2.4T AWD, it was lauded as much more flexible and considerably more rapid to react to slip. In normal conditions, it transfers power with only a 15-degree rotation of slip at the wheel. Volvo technicians suggested that the basic use of the system was just the tip of the iceberg, as control of the Haldex coupling is managed by software. The program can be adjusted to control the bias, which is exactly what Volvo did with the new R. We're told that on the R, maximum transfer of power from front to rear requires a slip of the front wheels by roughly 100-degrees."

I don't know if this supports or challenges your point. As an FYI, Audi uses Haldex in the TT and still markets it as "Quattro". I don't know a lot about AWD, but from what I've been able to figure out Haldex is most commonly used with transverse mounted engines.