VideoNavi for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 01:03 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VideoNavi for Dummies

I am installing DVD video and monitor equipment in my vehicle and I am trying to document everything so that anyone can do this. It is taking me awhile (for several reasons) but ultimately I will finish it. Been working on things practically all day and I have about 33 digital pictures and some video clips so far.

Please refer to this thread if want to see what I am doing or if you have questions. I will keep it going over the next several days with updated pics, etc.

Thanks to Ron (Streeteffectz) for hooking me up with the visor monitor and the dvd player in the armrest. Thanks to Henry for the parts: Pioneer monitor and the already-modified RGB-1 decoder for the Navi. And thanks to Steve for the online instructions.

So far I've tested everything and it works great. Now for the installation.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:03 AM
Race Director

Added pictures.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cool. Keep up the great work.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:49 PM
Race Director

More pictures added.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:32 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it legal to have a TV monitor for the driver and the front passanger? I read somewhere that it is illegal to have it. For rear passengers, I think it is okay.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:49 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>Is it legal to have a TV monitor for the driver and the front passanger? I read somewhere that it is illegal to have it. For rear passengers, I think it is okay.</STRONG>
I think it's legal as long as they are turned on when the car is in Park with the parking break engaged. That's why aftermarket screens have a wire connecting to the parking brake switch.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:20 AM
Advanced

Wow, that looks alot better then what I did to my car. I really really like the front visor monitor. Keep us updated!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:08 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>Is it legal to have a TV monitor for the driver and the front passanger? I read somewhere that it is illegal to have it. For rear passengers, I think it is okay.</STRONG>
Probably not in any state. But I really don't plan to watch DVD while driving.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Professional Pimp

How is your install going? I'm considering doing the same Video Navi install myself. Just that I haven't found time to do it yet.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:41 AM
Race Director

It's taking me quite awhile but I am doing it slowly and correctly, all the while learning and documenting.

I am assuming that I will doing the same thing (or similar) to my next Acura.

More pics added today.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear

I was told by a friend who worked with the folks in installation at Good Guys, the legality issue with the TV/DVD monitors is, the monitors cannot be on if they're within view by the driver unless the parking brake is engaged. If the monitor is out of view by the driver then, they can be on regardless of the car being in motion or not.

BTW, I was on my way home from the East Bay to SF and noticed a guy in his F150 with 4 monitors on. He had two up front, one in each visor; and two in back, one in the back of the front two headrest. Probably not a legal setup and I didn't get too close to him.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:34 PM
Race Director

Use this new link to continue to view my installation process. Multimedia DVD for Dummies.

I am about 60% done with the installation process, I still have to install the modified RGB-1 (which is probably the hardest part). This is where I will need Steve's help with the Video On My Navi piece. I still need a couple of parts (4PDT and FM Modulator) which should be here any day now. Hopefully I can finish the process by Thursday.

If you have any questions about the installation process in general, please feel free to ask. I don't know much about the modified RGB-1 (my came that way thanks to Henry), so you may want to ask Steve. Remember the Multimedia DVD for Dummies is a complete installation that includes the Visor display, the Pioneer Monitor AVD-505, the DVD Player, as well as Steve's Video On My Navi project.