Vibration or shudder under mod to heavy throttle......

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 03:29 PM
new cl, type-s and shxt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration or shudder under mod to heavy throttle......

Hey..newbie here with a question...I bought a 01 CL Type-S as the name says about a week and a half ago. It has 51K on it now and is in almost perfect condintion, well within the past few days or so ive notice a hard vibration or shudder from my car when I apply moderate to heavy throttle. If i drive it conservativly its perfectly fine. I will be takin it to the dealership soon just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what might be causing this, what you guys think? Thanks

-Brett C.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:03 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That could be a whole slew of problems froma bad trans to a broken engine mount to a bad tire .Try if you can to describe how the vibration shows it self .In the steering or the seat etc.

Jens
Old 11-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Re: Vibration or shudder under mod to heavy throttle......

Originally posted by BlackCL_Type-S
Hey..newbie here with a question...I bought a 01 CL Type-S as the name says about a week and a half ago. It has 51K on it now and is in almost perfect condintion, well within the past few days or so ive notice a hard vibration or shudder from my car when I apply moderate to heavy throttle. If i drive it conservativly its perfectly fine. I will be takin it to the dealership soon just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what might be causing this, what you guys think? Thanks

-Brett C.
i've noticed the same from mine once in a while, but mine is a 6spd, i dont know what it is, but it only does it once in a while and the dealership can't trace the problem. just my luck they'll fuck me over with the repair if there is a problem even though i told them there was on to begin with.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Adult Supervision

Jens,

I have a similar problem but I think it only occurs when the tires are cold. I don't think it is a road surface problem near my office but always is noticable when I hit the highway 200 yards from my office parking lot. Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:25 PM
new cl, type-s and shxt

Im pretty sure its not a tire or motor mount because it seems to shake the front end pretty hard and then smooth out a little. It doesnt send vibrations through the steering wheel so that can pretty much eliminate any suspension components. Im afraid it may be something to with those 2 and 3rd clutch packs. Hmmm....
Old 11-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Jens H.
That could be a whole slew of problems froma bad trans to a broken engine mount to a bad tire .Try if you can to describe how the vibration shows it self .In the steering or the seat etc.

Jens

Jens:

I have been experiencing similar problems with my 01 CL-S. It shakes like crazy when i apply the throttle. It seems to start around 3500rpm and its as though the sub-frame is shaking under me. I dont feel any vibration in the steering wheel. It shakes so hard i can hear my passenger seat begin to rattle. I have changed 2 of the motor mounts, front wheel bearings, had the suspension looked over numerous times.....and still cant figure out what the hell it is. Could it be the tranny mount...or possible the tranny itself? I have 61K miles, and drive the car moderately aggressive.

Any ideas as what could be causing this?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:54 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I could take numerous guesses here as to what the various vibration issues are it is best you guys have the rpos look this stuff over .My ideas would be:
Bent rims
Bad motor mounts
Worn out axles
Bad tires
Defective plugs and or coil packs (going south under load)
Bad fuel pressure (going lean causing a misfire)
Bad struts (not likely but possible)
As you can see there are a numerous possibilties here .Vibration under accell is rare so without personally having experienced this ,those items i listed would be good places to start looking .
Jens
Old 11-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Adult Supervision

Jens,

Would it help in the diagnosis to say that this occurs with mine only in the first 1-2 miles of driving? I am thinking a tire issue that goes away when the tires get warmed up. But does this make sense.

-Mike
Old 11-26-2003, 04:21 PM
new cl, type-s and shxt

sounds like me and quicksilver are havin the same problem, doesnt occur til about 3-3500 rpm, i was thinkin today that tranny mounts could maybe cause this condition.....
Old 11-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Jens H.
Although I could take numerous guesses here as to what the various vibration issues are it is best you guys have the rpos look this stuff over .My ideas would be:
Bent rims
Bad motor mounts
Worn out axles
Bad tires
Defective plugs and or coil packs (going south under load)
Bad fuel pressure (going lean causing a misfire)
Bad struts (not likely but possible)
As you can see there are a numerous possibilties here .Vibration under accell is rare so without personally having experienced this ,those items i listed would be good places to start looking .
Jens
Well, I'm gonna start going down the list:
1 Bent rim -- I had a set of 18's that had a couple of bends in them and thought that was the cause......so I just went back to stock rims (perfect condition) with a brand new set of pirelli's.
problem didn't go away!

2. Motor Mounts -- Swaped out two of the motor mounts because they were indeed busted, but ......problem didnt go away

3. Bad Tires -- See # 1

4. Defective plugs -- the sudder I am experience is more of a side-to-side vibration/shudder. I think if it was the plugs, the symptoms would be a litte different.

5. Bad fuel pressure regulator -- See # 4

6. Bad strut -- had both the strut and shocks checked out, and both are fine.

I can't even imagine what is causing this problem, but i have to say its gets scary. Shaking hard enough to make the seats rattle! Someone.....Anyone....who has experienced similar problems, please share your thoughts as to a possible cause!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I can think of is that you may have had suspension members damage. If you had your rims bent then you may have damaged the suspension too.

I have 235/40/18 on 18" and I can feel vibration in the steering wheel around 60-65 MPH. In my case it is most likely:
1) Wheel needs to be balanced again.
2) Tire life is over and I need summer tires anyway.

I will be rebalancing the wheels when I get new tires next spring.

Nashua.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

Hey my 01' Type-S did the exact same thing I had a broken engine mount. I thought it was the trans but it wasn't. It really shruddered when I was going slow up hills and stuff. Good luck
Old 11-26-2003, 09:28 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

dat happens to me too
Old 11-26-2003, 10:38 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about a worn/bad CV joint?
Old 11-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Cruz_msl
what about a worn/bad CV joint?

This morning, i started hearing metal grinding (best way i could describe) sound coming from the front when i have the wheel turned out completely and am moving.....e.g. making a U-turn. It sounds pretty bad, but as soon as i straighten the wheel out the sound stops but the shuddering/vibration begins......as though the front wheels are wobbling. Do you think this could be the cv-joint could be the cause of all the problems i've been experiencing?

Now, if it is a worn/broken cv-joint, how dangerous is it driving the car? I mean what are the chances of it braking off and me loosing control?
Old 11-27-2003, 08:47 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Quick Silver
This morning, i started hearing metal grinding (best way i could describe) sound coming from the front when i have the wheel turned out completely and am moving.....e.g. making a U-turn. It sounds pretty bad, but as soon as i straighten the wheel out the sound stops but the shuddering/vibration begins......as though the front wheels are wobbling. Do you think this could be the cv-joint could be the cause of all the problems i've been experiencing?

Now, if it is a worn/broken cv-joint, how dangerous is it driving the car? I mean what are the chances of it braking off and me loosing control?
I'm not a CL-S trouble-shooter here but I'm willing to bet that it is the issue. It sounds very severe if it is too- so in all likelyhood it could be quite dangerous. I don't think the wheel will break off, I think the CV joint will seize and your wheel will shake the bajeezus out of your car until you:

A. Stop.
B. Crash

I had a CV joint boot go on my Honda Civic and I still drove the car pretty far. (1000 miles+) BUT- the CV joint was not the issue, it got contaminated due to the boot failure and eventually began to wear. At first it started clunking when I went around turns and naturally got worse. Although it never made the tire wobble or car shutter, it still wasn't that far gone and we ARE talking about three times the torque and weight here so your failure point could be much sooner. If your CV joint is the problem, you had better get the car to the dealer ASAP.

PS: Keep us informed on your outcome
Old 12-10-2003, 08:03 PM
new cl, type-s and shxt

finally found time to take my car to the dealership yesterday, they came to the conclusion that its my inner CV joint causing the intense vibration, the tech explained to me that the joint had not failed because of a torn boot(which would allow road grime to get in the joint) but rather that the joint is actually binding. its going back tomarrow to have both inner joints/axles replaced ill let everyone know if infact this does fix my car...

Quick Silver - from your description it sounds to me that by some freak chance you may have a bad inner and outer CV on either or both? axles. the sound and grinding while turning is usually caused by the outer joint. i have been through many axles because of outer CV boot failure on the Integra I had owned. if you havent already look under your car at the axles and see if any of the boots have been torn, if they are you can be 99% sure this is whats causing your problem.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:02 PM
new cl, type-s and shxt

and the verdict is.......bad driverside inner CV joint.....replaced today and everything is all good again
Old 12-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro

Originally posted by BlackCL_Type-S
finally found time to take my car to the dealership yesterday, they came to the conclusion that its my inner CV joint causing the intense vibration, the tech explained to me that the joint had not failed because of a torn boot(which would allow road grime to get in the joint) but rather that the joint is actually binding. its going back tomarrow to have both inner joints/axles replaced ill let everyone know if infact this does fix my car...

Quick Silver - from your description it sounds to me that by some freak chance you may have a bad inner and outer CV on either or both? axles. the sound and grinding while turning is usually caused by the outer joint. i have been through many axles because of outer CV boot failure on the Integra I had owned. if you havent already look under your car at the axles and see if any of the boots have been torn, if they are you can be 99% sure this is whats causing your problem.
Checked under the car at both cv-joints and surrounding areas.......no sign of damage! If it is the inner cv-joint, how can I diagnose it? I called acura of serramonte and they said they would charge at least $150 just to diagnose the problem if its something part that just needs adjusting......and probably much more if its a part that failed. I just hung up on the service advisor. Maybe its me, but $150 (probably more) just to diagnose, is fucking insane!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:24 AM
new cl, type-s and shxt

if you pull both axles and set eack one in a bench vise you can take the inner joint and move it by hand. if while moving the joint in and out you feel a slight catch then its probably bad. the catch or rough spot that you may feel can be very small so you have to feel for it very carefully. once you take the joint apart though it will be very obvious you can probably see and feel the bad spot inside the cup part of the joint.