VERY FUNNY Edmunds.com review of Ferrari 550 Maranello

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 11:24 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VERY FUNNY Edmunds.com review of Ferrari 550 Maranello

Here is the link to the article. I won't post the entire thing but i will high light the funny parts.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longt...1/article.html

Ferrari North America actively discourages its dealers from selling cars above sticker. This results in dealers often asking customers to assign the dealer a "right of first refusal" (which is the right to have the first opportunity to buy back a vehicle they've sold to a customer). As we said, things are a bit different in the world of Ferraris.
You thought acura dealers were bad with MDX's

the dealer had added a Tubi-Style exhaust system for a mere $12,000. As the actual cost of this system runs slightly less than $2,800 for a 550, we quickly negotiated the price down to a more reasonable $4,000.

680 bucks for a comptech exhaust doesn't seem so bad huh? Although the sound( i get chills and start giggling like a school girl every time i hear it)of a reving v12 is like no other, 4 large for exhaust???? Doesn't mention performance gains, only sound.....

Driving through some sharp "S" turns, we quickly learned to appreciate the 550's laser-sharp steering and feedback. Coming up behind an Acura Integra, we experienced something of a first. Even though we had made a point of hanging back, the Integra pulled over to allow us to pass. Happy to oblige, we accelerated through a turn, and the Integra's driver gave us the "thumbs up" as we drove by.

Yeah, props to the teg owner who gave the prancing horsey its due props! We gots class ya'll!

As we continued on our way, the instruments suddenly went dead. As everything else appeared in order, we assumed it was just a fuse and continued down the road. Soon, we noticed the instrument lights perceptibly dimming; the skid control and ABS failure lights also came on, accompanied by a faint whiff of (what smelt like) overheated wiring. This was obviously more than a fuse.

Stopping the car, we tried the obvious: changing the fuse. Ferrari thoughtfully includes a tool kit with each vehicle. Inside are the usual assortment of hand tools along with a range of fuses and even a much-needed flashlight. Not surprisingly, changing the fuse did nothing. The instruments were still dead. Unfortunately, the car now refused to start. Turning the key produced the tick, tick, tick of an almost-dead battery.

See even Ferrari's don't work sometimes and even their parts take a long time to get replaced
Old 03-02-2002, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That speaks well of the quality. Even funnier was when they had the exhaust fall off on the X-type. You gotta wonder with the Edmunds people, what they actually do to those cars.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Red Nj-s
That speaks well of the quality. Even funnier was when they had the exhaust fall off on the X-type. You gotta wonder with the Edmunds people, what they actually do to those cars.
Drive them? I don't think edmunds does anything to them. Not sure what you are trying to say. I'm not suprised about the Jag or the ferrari. Each are notorious for breaking down.

I was at my gym the one day and a guy walks out to his Jag
x-type. I chuckle, because well he blew his money on an Jag. Anyway, he tried to put his gym bag into the trunk. TRIED is the key word. He couldn't get the damn trunk closed. It was funny. He was cursing up a storm.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata

Drive them? I don't think edmunds does anything to them. Not sure what you are trying to say. I'm not suprised about the Jag or the ferrari. Each are notorious for breaking down.

I was at my gym the one day and a guy walks out to his Jag
x-type. I chuckle, because well he blew his money on an Jag. Anyway, he tried to put his gym bag into the trunk. TRIED is the key word. He couldn't get the damn trunk closed. It was funny. He was cursing up a storm.

I think every board member will have that in mind when they see an X-type owner ever since the Edmunds review..
Old 03-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by KavexTrax

I think every board member will have that in mind when they see an X-type owner ever since the Edmunds review..

Yeh, i know i did when i saw that guy i just shook my head and wondered he would blow money on a low end Jag. I could see spending the money for the XJR or something cause they are just hardcore pimp.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a pretty funny story about the Jag X-Type. I was merging onto the Merritt Parkway on Friday, and there was a 3.0 X-Type in front of me trying to merge. The car looked in very nice condition, but when he tried accelerating hard, a plume of black smoke shot out the back of his car. It looked like a old Diesel truck made that mess.

All I know is that I would NEVER spend a penny on that crap
Old 03-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I have a pretty funny story about the Jag X-Type. I was merging onto the Merritt Parkway on Friday, and there was a 3.0 X-Type in front of me trying to merge. The car looked in very nice condition, but when he tried accelerating hard, a plume of black smoke shot out the back of his car. It looked like a old Diesel truck made that mess.

All I know is that I would NEVER spend a penny on that crap
I also think the Type-S/X are ugly as sin.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

I also think the Type-S/X are ugly as sin.

I must have weird taste.. cuz i think they are one the best looking cars on the road!!!

Also i will love the 2003 s-type even more now, cuz i didnt like the interior of it before, but they just changed that, and now its perfect!!!
Old 03-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ferrari's have never been known to be an every day car. It's a racecar for the street. They have always been prone to problems, as most race cars are which dump as much performance as they do.

Why the NSX is raved after. It's an everyday supercar... Still not a Ferrari though...

And the reason the exhaust is such a big deal on a Ferrari, is because you obviously haven't heard one. Ferrari is like the Harley Davidson of cars.... exhaust wise. If you ever hear a Ferrari get up and on it, it'll bring a smile to you face Especially a V8 Ferrari.

And $12k for exhaust in the Ferrari is a drop in the bucket compared to the $ of the car. Even though the exhaust is over priced.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:25 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i like that Jag S-Type. if it were more reliable and the back end wasnt a bubble it would be a great car, espescially the 4 litre. Now the x-type is a different story. i see no use in buying one. they are fugly and i can't stand em, espescially the 2.5 litre but i guess some people like throwing money out the door cause my uncle is a salesman at a jag dealership and they sold almost 60 jags (mostly the X) in january. crazy people