Value of 2003 cls-6? and selling opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Value of 2003 cls-6? and selling opinions

Im looking to sell my cls-6
47,000 mi
very clean, no mechanical problems of any kind.
kbb.com is putting me right at $12,000 for 'good' condition

How much does the 6-speed affect the value of the car? I know its a a desirable option to some, and somewhat of a rare build option.how should i go about getting the most I can for the car?

should i consider e-bay?

thanks fellas

O, and if anyone here is interested in the car, reply here or email me at jwdaham@gmail.com

(great car, but I need a 4wd!!)
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
*6MT*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine with 79k for 10 grand. 12k for yours isnt too far off.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
seems like a decent price to me with only 49K. Id buy it if I wasnt getting a house
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
$12K is a good starting point & fare, however with car values & the general piss poor state of the economy I don't think you will get that. More like $10.5K to $11.5K
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a tough time to be selling anything unless it's at a bargain price
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Hey Guy
I agree w/greenmonster and the other posters.
However, the car does represent a niche market and it only takes 1 buyer who is looking for that rare combination in today's cars: a 2-door coupe, w/6-speed manual.
Emphasis those 2 features and I can you will do fine.
Oh btw, what is your exterior/interior color combo?
and do you have nav?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
where are you located? maybe i could help...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck on the sale. Timez are just HARD.
But Maybe u cud get a buyer from here.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate your opinions. Hopefully If i take a hit on the selling price, I can make up for it when i purchase somthing else.

Its Aegean Blue, black interior, no Navi. has dealer installed rear spolier.

Only thing ive done to it is put in a blitzwire (iPod cord, thru aux. CD port) real slick install, so the cord comes into the arm rest console. and one of those sunroof wind deflectors.

I have every single reciept, and maintenece record for the 3 years Ive owned the car. Im pretty Meticulous with that stuff

Ill start a thread in the for sale section here, I'd love someone here to get a car they really looking for.

heres some pics:

Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
FAWK! I should've waited! I got my black on black 03 this past summer, and I REALLY wanted a blue one.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

9.5k if you're lucky. KBB is meaningless.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
4th Gear

yao bro dont sell ur car for 12 g'z its really cheap. 6 speeds are extremely rare its hard to find one i ngood condiion and when u do people dont negotiate the price. lot of owners take advantage of this car's rareness and mostly ask firm prices . if your car is very bad and needs some serious tlc then 12 g's sounds good buh if your car is mint with only 47000 u can start off with 18-20 thousand and believe me you will get a good price. just remember not a lotta ppl know about this car and the ones who really do are fanatics and they will pay any price to have these cars . just wait this car will pay for your four wheel drive i promise u this much.the only challenging part is it may take a lil bit of a time before you find a fanatic. besides its upto u how quickly u wana get rid of it .lower u price faster u may get rid of it but in a long run u will recognize that this car have lotta potential if u wana make money . this time of the year is bad as it is to sell ur car . cuz there is recession and ppl just emptied out their pockets from x mas shopping. put it up for sale now at a high price hopefully by summer time u wil lget what you want. make sure ur car makes no noise and drives smooth. from my experience when i sell my car i do an oil change with syntheitic oil and put in premium gas so when the buyer drive your car the car will sell off it self. i live in mississaiga canada and i knoe how rare this car is u can find lots of tiptronic transmission for dirt cheap but 6 speed its extremely uniqe remember its only a nortamerican car . so try targetting both american and canadian markets for this sale . m going to do the samewith my 6 speed cls though this car have already been i ntwo dirty accidents and my slips says its rebuilt regardless of that ppl are willing to give me 15000 right now with my car as is
but i do not wana sell my baby cuz the lowest i will go on my 2003 it self with 160000 thousand kms driven for no less then 18000 cuz its a 6 speed. if ppl want it they give me what i want and take it and if not then my cls can never hurt me .eitherwyas i need a car to get around. n sooner or later u will find a right person for your car. m not suggesting you to price your car hi or follow my ideas buh m telling u that your car have lotta potential to be sold at a higher price then your asking. try not only one website buh different websites. you will get replies. when i bought my 6 speed i was not able to find another one for over month and a half after i bought my 6 speed , i jus wanted to do a simple price comparison. and when i did finally found one on canadian national autotrader which is one of the main site for canadain consumers who are looking for used vehicles, the owner of the 6 speed did not wanted to negotiate the orice . he wanted $17000. car it self was involved in an accident with approx 220000 . so this was a lil example of how rare this car is. so price your car right. all the best
Old 01-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6_speed
yao bro dont sell ur car for 12 g'z its really cheap. 6 speeds are extremely rare its hard to find one i ngood condiion and when u do people dont negotiate the price. lot of owners take advantage of this car's rareness and mostly ask firm prices . if your car is very bad and needs some serious tlc then 12 g's sounds good buh if your car is mint with only 47000 u can start off with 18-20 thousand and believe me you will get a good price. just remember not a lotta ppl know about this car and the ones who really do are fanatics and they will pay any price to have these cars . just wait this car will pay for your four wheel drive i promise u this much.the only challenging part is it may take a lil bit of a time before you find a fanatic. besides its upto u how quickly u wana get rid of it .lower u price faster u may get rid of it but in a long run u will recognize that this car have lotta potential if u wana make money . this time of the year is bad as it is to sell ur car . cuz there is recession and ppl just emptied out their pockets from x mas shopping. put it up for sale now at a high price hopefully by summer time u wil lget what you want. make sure ur car makes no noise and drives smooth. from my experience when i sell my car i do an oil change with syntheitic oil and put in premium gas so when the buyer drive your car the car will sell off it self. i live in mississaiga canada and i knoe how rare this car is u can find lots of tiptronic transmission for dirt cheap but 6 speed its extremely uniqe remember its only a nortamerican car . so try targetting both american and canadian markets for this sale . m going to do the samewith my 6 speed cls though this car have already been i ntwo dirty accidents and my slips says its rebuilt regardless of that ppl are willing to give me 15000 right now with my car as is
but i do not wana sell my baby cuz the lowest i will go on my 2003 it self with 160000 thousand kms driven for no less then 18000 cuz its a 6 speed. if ppl want it they give me what i want and take it and if not then my cls can never hurt me .eitherwyas i need a car to get around. n sooner or later u will find a right person for your car. m not suggesting you to price your car hi or follow my ideas buh m telling u that your car have lotta potential to be sold at a higher price then your asking. try not only one website buh different websites. you will get replies. when i bought my 6 speed i was not able to find another one for over month and a half after i bought my 6 speed , i jus wanted to do a simple price comparison. and when i did finally found one on canadian national autotrader which is one of the main site for canadain consumers who are looking for used vehicles, the owner of the 6 speed did not wanted to negotiate the orice . he wanted $17000. car it self was involved in an accident with approx 220000 . so this was a lil example of how rare this car is. so price your car right. all the best

woah buddy...

$18,000 is way extreame. Dont go around thinking your driving some exotic rarity that commands a huge markup

theres a reason they only built ~1,500 (?) of the 6-speed cars, its becuase most people wont drive one. thus, making it harder to get rid of.

however, IF someone is looking specifically for a CLS-6, I doubt you'l find a nicer one, with lower miles.

Worst case senario is I keep the car, and throw some snow tires on there. Its a great ride, and Im really not aching to get rid of it.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
9.5k if you're lucky. KBB is meaningless.

I agree kbb is meaningless.
but 9.5k is too low. Ive been offered higher on a trade in.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anybody think they could confidently project a selling price for an 03 SMR 6 spd in 2011? I have to pay off my loan before I can consider selling it, but I by then Im hoping I can rake in at least 6K of my money back. Then it's time to finance a 2012 car!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

That is meaningless they could be over-allowing and giving you more for the trade by taking the $$ off of the car you are thinking of buying. I do that all the time if I think the guy cares more about getting $$ for his car instead of the car he's buying.

When someone is trying to sell their car, most of the time 'rare' means they think it's worth more than it is. Not in response to you but somebody else.

I have 75k on my car and my used car manager said 5-6k for it.

eBay is good for selling cheap cars and unique cars but everyone is a mooch there so try Craig's List maybe you'll catch somebody napping.

Originally Posted by joed4640
I agree kbb is meaningless.
but 9.5k is too low. Ive been offered higher on a trade in.

Last edited by CL6; 01-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
new york, huh? too far for me.

a buyer will come up. just market it everywhere you can and simply pick a realistic price YOU are happy with and stick to it.

i'd say 13/13,500 is tops, don't go under 10,000 with you're low-mid mileage.

i call it the curse of the CL b/c if you search around here, there are people who couldn't sell their CLs for years!! including me...and now the economy is bad...

but hey good luck.

Last edited by '01White3.2CL; 01-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't know guys, I think Kbb is right in the ballpark with regards to CL pricing

This one with 32K miles on it sold for 13K (6 months ago). I've got a PM from the owner as proof:

https://acurazine.com/forums/member-cars-sale-49/sold-fs-2003-cl-type-s-6-spd-m-t-nbp-nyc-32k-miles-comptech-mods-%2418-750-a-392708/

So 6 months later, a 6spd with more mileage, is going to sell for less... especially since the economy is in the crapper.

theres a reason they only built ~1,500 (?) of the 6-speed cars, its becuase most people wont drive one. thus, making it harder to get rid of
They built 3511 2003 6spds (scroll down the page to see the break down):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=449501&page=2

Worst case senario is I keep the car, and throw some snow tires on there. Its a great ride, and Im really not aching to get rid of it.
I've got 85K on mine, so she's worth less then 10K in a private sale (probably 7-8 at most on trade in). That being said, there's no car out there that I can replace it with for the same $$ that wouldn't be a downgrade.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh, the official 6spd pricing thread is here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=6spd+cheap

Goes back to 2006, so you can see how values are going down over time.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Here's another pricepoint for ya':

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/18000-original-mile-6speed-703032/

6spd at an asking price of $14.5K with 18000 miles... from a dealer, so you know you can knock off at least 10% right off the top, and more if you're a good negotiator...
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12/12.5k for this car should be suffice, list it and wait. no point of trying to push a quick sale unless u don't mind selling it for 2-3k less....
Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
12/12.5k for this car should be suffice, list it and wait. no point of trying to push a quick sale unless u don't mind selling it for 2-3k less....
agreed. I will probably have more luck in the spring anyways.
Hopefully someone here is looking for one. thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

I must say that your cl looks immaculate. If I had not just recently purchased a cl of my own, I would most certainly be in the market for yours ,as I too, live in/around Buffalo, NY. Good luck with the sale!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acura-cl-s
I must say that your cl looks immaculate. If I had not just recently purchased a cl of my own, I would most certainly be in the market for yours ,as I too, live in/around Buffalo, NY. Good luck with the sale!
Hey, thanks man.

I really do take care of my vehicles, and every other thing Ive paid for. Some people think im crazy for keeping records on my car and a fuel log, parking away from other cars, washing and waxing.. etc.

I dont understand people who buy (expensive) things, and destroy them

Like I said, I think i't would be tough to find an '03 CL-S in better condition, expecially in this area. Hope someone gets it and continues to take good care of it
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
*6MT*

Hey, thanks man.

I really do take care of my vehicles, and every other thing Ive paid for. Some people think im crazy for keeping records on my car and a fuel log, parking away from other cars, washing and waxing.. etc.

Like I said, I think i't would be tough to find an '03 CL-S in better condition, expecially in this area. Hope someone gets it and continues to take good care of it

I know what you mean man. I saw my old Durango just the other day, it was dirty as hell, kid was smoking in it, had some gay ass stickers all over it, and the car was dented to hell

Sad to let such nice things go.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey, thanks man.

Good luck with the sale its a beautiful car. I wish you were selling last year when I was looking for an ABP 6spd with low miles. I think $12k-$13k is Fair considering the condition and mileage.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

If it sells please post what price you got for it. Maybe because I sell cars for a living I'm a little down on re-sale value but Blue Book used to change every month now it changes every 1-2 weeks.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

The car looks clean but with the economy it would probably be best to hold off on selling it until maybe late spring. Im sure you will find someone that wants it and that will give you the 12 stacks.

BTW: KBB is not meaningless, alot of people that i know look on that site before buying or selling their cars.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Looking on KBB is one thing, getting KBB is another. Like I say to people who want KBB 'Good' for their car... sell it to them then!

Originally Posted by AnthraciteBeast
The car looks clean but with the economy it would probably be best to hold off on selling it until maybe late spring. Im sure you will find someone that wants it and that will give you the 12 stacks.

BTW: KBB is not meaningless, alot of people that i know look on that site before buying or selling their cars.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL6
Looking on KBB is one thing, getting KBB is another. Like I say to people who want KBB 'Good' for their car... sell it to them then!
exactly, KBB isnt gonna buy the car from you --- its a nice reference to have, but ultimately the buying price resides with the buyer, and the selling price resides with the seller. If that makes any sense.

It only takes one person to buy a car, if you are not happy with the offers you are getting, either

A. Keep the car if it is worth more to you than what people are willing to pay.

B. Sell the car at what it is worth to the buyer.

C. Wait it out, and keep it advertised.

Me personally, i have no problem paying more for a car that is exactly what i want.

i.e.. Im not ashamed to say i didnt get a deal for a one owner, mint condition (i mean mint, no curb rash on the wheels, no dents, no scratches, no stains), low mileage, warrantied, white on black 6spd navi... It fit exactly the criteria i wanted. I paid pretty much KBB value. This was after searching for 6 months and looking at other cars, and not being able to settle on different colors. Looking at "so called" mint/excellent condition cars, that looked average at best.

I didnt overpay, but i didnt *steal* it away from the dealer -

Youll get the tire kickers, and the low ballers, and the people who would be happier buying a car with a few dents for 2000$ less. Then maybe youll get someone like me.

Last edited by Ralphie917; 01-07-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
If it sells please post what price you got for it. Maybe because I sell cars for a living I'm a little down on re-sale value but Blue Book used to change every month now it changes every 1-2 weeks.
I'll def keep this thread updated. Im hoping someone looking for a nice CLS-6 will come across it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Local jeep dealer just called and offered $8,000 on trade

I told him, I could care less how much they offer, All I care about is the difference in the price of the new car and the trade. silly used car salesmen
Old 01-08-2009, 03:19 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Why is he silly?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
Why is he silly?
his first offer was $7,500 the price of the truck is not listed. he told me $18,995 was bottom line

today he called, offerd $8,000. the truck is now $19,550. says he doesnt remember saying $18,995

not a very good salesman... But i dont blame him for trying to get max. cash. Jeep sales are down 48% since last year.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Sounds like he isn't too good. Guess the value of the car is $7,500.00 and, just as I suggested, they over-allowed and raised the trade in by $500 but also raised the selling price of the car by the same amount.

If I can trade in my car for 6k and you were offered 7,5k and your car is in nicer shape with fewer miles then it's about what I thought.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL6
Im not saying youre 100% sure to get KBB but its a good starting point for sellers and buyers alike
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
Sounds like he isn't too good. Guess the value of the car is $7,500.00 and, just as I suggested, they over-allowed and raised the trade in by $500 but also raised the selling price of the car by the same amount.

If I can trade in my car for 6k and you were offered 7,5k and your car is in nicer shape with fewer miles then it's about what I thought.
Kinda sounds like hes a little desperate. Ive seen the same jeeps sitting on that lot for a long time. Times have got to be tough in the car sales world. Alot of dealerships have closed, or been absorbed around here in the past couple years.

I prefer dealing with a salesman that is a car-guy and actually has some idea about what hes talkin about. I'm Probably going to buy private party anyway.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Unfortunately the buyer always thinks KBB is right when they want to sell their car but never when you want to sell them your car.

Bunch of jacks!

Originally Posted by AnthraciteBeast
Im not saying youre 100% sure to get KBB but its a good starting point for sellers and buyers alike
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL6
Unfortunately the buyer always thinks KBB is right when they want to sell their car but never when you want to sell them your car.

Bunch of jacks!
Yea but thats true with anything. Seller always wants top dollar and buyer always wants to buy for less. what can you do
Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Wow! have gathered alot of interest with just one craigslist posting
I dont think I will have ANY problems selling it for what I want.

and p.s. my new ride:

Quick Reply: Value of 2003 cls-6? and selling opinions