V1 help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1 help please!!!

Well I've decited that I'm going to buy the Valentine 1. I've visited their website and I understand that they supply "upgrades" when new improvements come out. My only question is if there is a completely new model comming out soon, because I wouldn't want to drop $400 and then have a new model come out in a few months. Has anyone heard about a new model that might come out soon??? Thanks again for any help you may be able to offer!
Old 07-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,357 Likes on 3,728 Posts
No, I haven't heard this rumor and doubt it to be true. Buy the detector, you will not be disappointed.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Thnaks for the reply man, just had to be sure that there wasn't some new model comming out soon.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Race Director

The V1 upgrade is to the new model if you buy one today.

IOW, if you pay $400 for the V1 today and in December they come out with the V2 (for example) for $500, it will probably cost you $150 to upgrade.

I believe it works that way cause when they say upgrade, they mean hardware and/or software but I don't think they are simply reflashing units and sending them back. They send you another physical unit instead (depending on your upgrade). I *think* that's how it works.

Don't wait. Buy V1 now. If you need to sell it, you can probably unload it on eBay used for almost nearly as much as you paid for it new.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Definitely get it....I just bought one a month ago and don't regret it a bit....it already saved me several times!

And as kensteele said, ValentineOne offers reasonably priced upgrades....Their philosophy is that once you buy, you will never have to spend full price for another radar detector again.

And FWIW, there are idiots on Ebay who pay MORE for the unit then you can get new:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2420107497

Or the same price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1498

Amazing...these buyers could just go to the V1 website and order it for $399 and around $8 shipping (another $39 if you want the concealed display...well worth it, IMO)
Old 07-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kensteele
[B]and in December they come out with the V2 (for example)

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm kinda confused here though, is there a "V2" comming out, or were you just using it as a hypothetical situation?
Old 07-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Race Director

Hypothetical.

There is no V2. But there's something new bound to come out one day. None of us here know what it is. Perhaps there's a radar detector forum or something where someone has some inside knowledge. My point was, buy now, and trade up later.

It's like a cellphone. You know there is something newer and better right around the corner (plus I can confirm that ), but you buy anyway...else you won't be talking.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
my model is a few years old and it still keeps up w/ my dads brand new one. Don't really worry about it. Something new will come out, it may be better, but will it really be that noticable?
Old 07-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Thanks again for all the help guys. I'm buying one for sure now . I'm just glad that the V1 has upgrades, unlike the other detectors which decline in performance as newer technology becomes available.