V.S.A. ... Is it still the silent savior????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
The "S" is for Sssmooking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V.S.A. ... Is it still the silent savior????

With a CL upgraded with mods for speed, handling, bigger wheels, bigger brakes and having more weight from those mods or from the subs in the trunk. How can VSA, a preprogrammed system that does not have the ability to learn, compensate for all this when correcting a split second mistake in a high speed maneuver? I don't see it happening, our mechanical guardian angel might use the old vehicle specs and instead of keeping the car on the road put us further of the road. What do you guys think? Should we all be driving around with VSA off???
Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you cant turn VSA off you can only turn off the TCS
Old 09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VSA button.....

Originally Posted by CLean B
you cant turn VSA off you can only turn off the TCS
You can always completely turn off VSA by use of the button. The only thing you can't disable on the car is ABS...

036MTs don't even have VSA as they use a LSD...
Old 09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

So the Vehical Stability is still active, you just turn off the traction control, when you hit the VSA button?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Ich bin auf der autobahn!

Since the VSA is designed to function with one person aboard or 4 people with luggage it is unlikely that your mods will have much of an effect on the VSA .VSA looks at throttle angle , steering wheel angle , and an accelorometer ,it bases it's calculations on how those inputs work togehter .If any one of them is excessive for example you are steering but the car does not sense the lateral g load from the accelorometer and the wheel speed sensors show the wrong numbers then it intervenes .Your mods if anything will simpy raise the level at which the VSA begins to interfere because the car can now perform (at least in theory) at a higher performance level .

Jens
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Nice.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by All Mine
So the Vehical Stability is still active, you just turn off the traction control, when you hit the VSA button?
exactly... the vsa is ALWAYS on... the traction control is what you're turning off when you hit the button
Old 09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
exactly... the vsa is ALWAYS on... the traction control is what you're turning off when you hit the button
cool i didnt know that...now i dont feel so bad about riding around with the yellow exclamation mark all the time haha
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Pro

I disagree. If the exclamation mark is on, the VSA is OFF. according to my manual-2001 CL-S.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by louisn
I disagree. If the exclamation mark is on, the VSA is OFF. according to my manual-2001 CL-S.
You would be correct.

The CL-P's don't have VSA, but they do have a TCS button, if I'm not mistaken. On the CL-S, the VSA can be deactivated.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
there is a "vsa off" button, you can most definitely turn it off. when you do the tires can slip and slide as they wish.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:30 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The

It is extremely frustrating when someone comes on to a board stating incorrect "facts". If you do not know what you are talking about, I fail to see the logic in making yourself look like a moron? I noticed that some of the other members in this thread are now expressing confusion... so let me clear this up.

The CL-P has TCS ONLY. It can be disabled by pressing the "TCS" button. This will cause the "TCS" light in the gauges to light up. Upon restarting the vehicle, TCS is default on.

The CL-S has VSA which has a TCS function. The "VSA" button turns BOTH functions off. The car will not assist you in acceleration on slippery surfaces, and it will not monitor yaw and steering input. The "VSA" and / ! \ light will be steady on when the VSA is off. It, too, is default on.

The VSA piggybacks ABS with speed sensors and uses yaw sensors to determine a skid. It shouldn't be affected by modifications.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
It is extremely frustrating when someone comes on to a board stating incorrect "facts". If you do not know what you are talking about, I fail to see the logic in making yourself look like a moron? I noticed that some of the other members in this thread are now expressing confusion... so let me clear this up.

The CL-P has TCS ONLY. It can be disabled by pressing the "TCS" button. This will cause the "TCS" light in the gauges to light up. Upon restarting the vehicle, TCS is default on.

The CL-S has VSA which has a TCS function. The "VSA" button turns BOTH functions off. The car will not assist you in acceleration on slippery surfaces, and it will not monitor yaw and steering input. The "VSA" and / ! \ light will be steady on when the VSA is off. It, too, is default on.

The VSA piggybacks ABS with speed sensors and uses yaw sensors to determine a skid. It shouldn't be affected by modifications.

That is correct.