UR Pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UR Pulleys?

Ok, thinking about getting UR pulleys, but I have 2 questions for you guys first.

1. What type of belts do you recommend using?

2. Has anyone had any problems caused by them? (ex: alternator going bad) I have heard some accord guys say that their alternators have gone bad with them.

thanks
Old 02-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If not for some search engine issues, I'd grab you the link that discussed all of the issues related to torsional vibration and problems that people with other cars had.

AT a minimum you are going to have more vibrations in the crank. As to what the effect is -- this is open to speculation.

There are people like mattg running them and he seems ok -- no blow up/problems.

I personally believe that the bearing wear will be accelerated and spent alot of time in some engine books and talking to some people who worked on some racing teams.

As for the pulley, alternator, etc -- it could well be that there is a good possibility that the alternator/belts are working as a kind-of surrogate vibration damper. Vibration is energy and that energy needs to go somewhere. (The torsional vibration dampers on some cars get very hot from the energy they dissipate.)

YMMV
Old 02-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

i just looked for the bill from car quest but no luck sorry
Old 02-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Busy Living

I'm neutral in regards to pulleys, but there has been no signs that the crank pulley has any adverse side affects. In fact, on the TL board, a member installed the pulley, changed his oil, then after some period (i believe 3k miles) sent a sample of his oil to a lab for a breakdown, and there were no signs of metal flakes AkA bearing breakdown.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

still working fine for...the only thing I need to do is tighten the PS bet a bit... it cause it squeaking a bit (slipping)
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by beerknurd
I'm neutral in regards to pulleys, but there has been no signs that the crank pulley has any adverse side affects. In fact, on the TL board, a member installed the pulley, changed his oil, then after some period (i believe 3k miles) sent a sample of his oil to a lab for a breakdown, and there were no signs of metal flakes AkA bearing breakdown.

IMO, you would never see metal flakes or metal coming in that short of a period. To put things in perspective, the difference is probably "marginal" and would need to have to identical motors running over a very long period with the same test regimen to show any kind of bearing wear. (I should have been clearer) An auto tranny would probably go long before the bearings. The bearing reports were from people tearing down the engines way down the line and were making pretty good HP.

If you noticed a high concentration of bearing metals in a short period of time (low mileage) -- that would be a “Get that thing off the car this second” warning! IOW, it would be a valid test to see if serious harm was being done.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Busy Living

I'm not looking for a debate, but there has been no evidence of a crank pulley causing engine failure on our engine.

Unorthodox is a pretty well respected company, and have been around for awhile.

ch1276, are you even thinking about the crank pulley? if so, do a search this has been beaten to death. check acura-tl.com and v6accord.com also.

I've only been monitoring the crank pulley, as the other components that could break are trivial compared to a crank bearing failure.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not looking for a debate, but there has been no evidence of a crank pulley causing engine failure on our engine.

Unorthodox is a pretty well respected company, and have been around for awhile.

ch1276, are you even thinking about the crank pulley? if so, do a search this has been beaten to death. check acura-tl.com and v6accord.com also.

I've only been monitoring the crank pulley, as the other components that could break are trivial compared to a crank bearing failure.
looking to get all 3 pulleys...just wanted to see what the guys that have had them for a while have to say about them since I have heard so many mixed reactions
Old 02-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

So, far there hasn't been a single crankshaft failure report (here) on the CLS.