Upgrade Brakes, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Brakes, need help

I did a search on this topic and there is a crap load of stuff out there but I am not clear on what is the best brake setup for the CL.

I am almost at 40k miles and I have not had to change the pads or resurface the rotors. The rotors are definitely warped now and so I want to do at least the front rotors and pads. I have read mixed reviews on the bremo blanks. Also keep in mind that I have machine lipped rims and they collect brake dust like crazy. Also I like the look of the slotted / cross drilled rotors even though there is no need for them over the blanks. Any help from the folks that have upgraded their brakes would be great.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A former member and friend had some factory blanks (not even Brembos) slotted (not x-drilled). He added in the steel brake lines for better feel, changed to DOT 4, and chose the Porterfield R4S pads. Warp problem went away (the car was not driven on the track – ok?)

I've seen some of the members have problems with "machined" Brembo blanks, and other seem to be doing fine.

There was a recent thread and you might want to check this one out:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ighlight=brake

Read down the thread -- before you get the wrong idea.

I called up the guys at http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...275&invidtype=

The pictures in the link are the OEM Brembo blanks that are CNC machined by that outfit. I talked to the guys there and claimed they had a local university help them out with slotting and hole patterns. I asked if the tests were “simulations”; they said they were actual (physical) tests.. I was interested in at least looking and talking to them, as others have had less than spectacular luck with some of the OEM BREMBO rotors + x-drill/slot. (I’m only relaying my conversation and haven’t tested the products.)

So, I'm sure you will get some comments.

And, if you ever want to drive like a maniac and do repeated stops without ANY fade, get a big brake kit.

Last -- bed in your pads, season your rotors and ALWAYS make sure you keep overtorque-challenged mechanics away from your wheels (ask to watch). A good way to warp brakes is by having someone use an impact wrench without a torque limiter (Torque stick). The best folks use a "real" torque wrench and put the bolts on by hand using a "star" pattern. Sounds like "weeine" stuff, but it really makes a difference.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I am leaning more toward Metal Master than Ceramics Ultimate. Also at this time machining the front rotors for the second time ( and rears to clean them up) and using a Castrol DOT-4 could be do the trick.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

This is the Manufacturer site for Axxis brakes: http://www.axxisbrakes.com/
Old 06-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Silver Bullet

How are the EBC greenstuff brakes compared to the axxis ultimate? Does one have less brake dust than the other?

I really like the slotted/cross drilled rotors by bremo, but I would hate to spend 250 or so for them (front) and find out they get warped too. Also doesnt look like they make rear rotors for our car. I am thinking that I will go with the powerslot rotors for the front and new front pads and then upgrade the rear rotors and pads later when needed.

Any thoughts? How are the powerslot rotors? and is there anyone else that makes good rotors for the car?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
HELLLLLLOOOOOO NURSE!!!!!

Sup man. I use x-drilled and slotter up front from the group buy from about a year ago and haven't any problems. I also have SS brake lines and DOT 4 brake fluid. In terms of pads I've been using AXXIS MM and the only complaint is that I do hear some squeaking. In terms of brake dust I don't get much, definately less than when I used stock. Not sure what stock numbers were but my best
60-0 was 117ft with this set up. Here is a site where you can find some ROTORS and PADS. www.performancecenter.com I was planning on going with the Rotora's x-drilled and slotted all around and Axxis Ultimate. I know that set up is overkill, but I like the uniformed look.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Silver Bullet

What brand were the rotors from the group buy? I am with you man, i would like to have a uniform look all around as well. Seems like rotora's and powerslots are the only brands that make front and rears for our cars.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Instructor

im going with rotoras and axxis ultimates soon!
Old 06-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by Nofear6370
What brand were the rotors from the group buy? I am with you man, i would like to have a uniform look all around as well. Seems like rotora's and powerslots are the only brands that make front and rears for our cars.
Sorry I was wrong its only Rotora.

Are you guys planning on going with the slotted, crossdrilled or the combination? I really like the look of the crossdrilled but I do not want to deal with cracking. The powerslots were cool because they had the crossdrilled look but are not really crossdrilled.

Right now I am thinking to just go with the Rotora's slotted all around and the axxis pads.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:54 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dukmahsik
im going with rotoras and axxis ultimates soon!

If you are concerned with dusting do not go with the Ultimates as they dust pretty bad.

The Axxis Deluxe Plus pads perform almost as well as the Ultimates and generate very little dust.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Dimples and x-drill doesn't always mean cracking...

Are you guys planning on going with the slotted, crossdrilled or the combination? I really like the look of the crossdrilled but I do not want to deal with cracking. The powerslots were cool because they had the crossdrilled look but are not really crossdrilled.

Right now I am thinking to just go with the Rotora's slotted all around and the axxis pads.

If the holes are drilled “carefully” and chamfered, there's a good chance that they won't crack. The x-drilling certainly increases the chances of cracking, but it really depends on a number of factors.

You do lose some mass with the x-drilling which is both good and bad. Good for a little extra venting and area to dissipate heat from (other things could be mentioned too). Bad for losing the additional mass that will help at lower speeds. The more material you have, the more thermal inertia. So, it's harder to heat up, and harder to cool down.

Here is a picture of the Powerslots with DIMPLES:

Old 06-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, when I finally toss the OEM rotors, I'll probably go with a big brake kit, or I'll check and see what has the best current results. I'm happy to go with any of the following if it's just OEM rotor swap (w/pad update):

Slotted only
Slotted and dimpled
Slotted and x-drilled (must be from a reliable vendor and the holes must be chamfered)

Suggestion: Get a list of you "favorites" and post a poll up and ask for some comments.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Lots of people have been asking these questions lately. Maybe we should organize a group-buy...
Old 06-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Silver Bullet

EricL - I would love to get the powerslots, they are my favorites so far. But they only make them for the front and I would like to have matching rotors all around even though I am initially thinking of just doing the front.

Mrsteve - A group buy for rotors and pads would be great. We just need to find out which combination is the forum favorite and hook up a group buy.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by dj5
If you are concerned with dusting do not go with the Ultimates as they dust pretty bad.

The Axxis Deluxe Plus pads perform almost as well as the Ultimates and generate very little dust.
Do the Ultimates create less dust than the stock pads? Also in terms of dust and performance do the Metal masters fall inbetween the deluxe plus and the Ultimates?

Thanks for the tip. I have machine lipped wheels and I hate the dust the stock pads leave.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Lots of people have been asking these questions lately. Maybe we should organize a group-buy...

But even though there's a bunch of threads on the upgraded brake issue, there is no consensus as to what the best options are for us without going to a big brake kit.

My rotors are warped again and I want something that will last me longer than the stock rotors this time around since I'll be paying for them because I'm out of warranty now. From what I've been reading, the best bet seems to be the Rotoras. As far as pads go, everyone has a different opinion...everything from OEM pads to metallic pads. I plan on going with ceramic pads since I don't race, auto-x, or anything like that and want to have my next rotors last as long as possible. I do drive fast and hit the brakes frequently though so I would like something that will offer an improvement over stock.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Racer

Anybody used those Power Slot Rotors ? I have been thinking about going with them. They say they are not drilled all the way thru, so will not crack. Heard that the slots wear out the pads alot quicker but also keep them clean and Glazed free.

If all Warp the same might as well go with the cheapest (Brembo Blanks). I think its a case of the Brake design being to weak to support the Weight and HP of the car. I had 2 Legends and the same problem either you just had the brakes done less than 5000 miles ago or you had a slight vibration that just got worst in time and miles.

Someone at the TL web said unless you upgrade to Big Brake kit every standard rotor & pad out there Warped in a short time. One guy made some kind of tubing air flow from the front directed to the Rotors to keep them cool and claimed he never had that problem again. BTW NOPI quoted me $87 per Rotor for the Power Slot fronts ( 01 CLS)
Old 06-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

I got the Rotora slotted here, front and rear:

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/

Took about 3 weeks to deliver. I hope to install this weekend.

I'm sticking with Acura pads. I'm content with the stock performance and dust. I hope the Rotora rotors more durable than stock. My stock rotors never warpped after 57k. However, I did not want to spend over $400 for rotors that have a history of warping.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:54 AM
HELLLLLLOOOOOO NURSE!!!!!

To address several issues.....
1. I will contact some at performancecenter.com some time this week and see what they can do about a group buy. They have several options interms of rotor/pad combos. I have never dealt w/ them but I will try it out before I recommend them to you guys.
2. In terms of x-drilled and slotted rotors and cracking I haven't had any issues. My front rotors have about 10,000 miles on them and haven't had a problem. After bedding them in, of course. I've had them machined once in those 10,000+ miles. Like I said before I use Axxis/PBR Metal Masters and have very little dust, granted I do wash my car at least once/2weeks. Only complaint is slight squeak. Performance wise, my best 60-0 was 117 ft using g-tech pro. On Dunlop tires.
Alright guys. I'll try and get back to y'all about GB. If not try for yourselves. See ya
Old 06-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Do the Ultimates create less dust than the stock pads? Also in terms of dust and performance do the Metal masters fall inbetween the deluxe plus and the Ultimates?

Thanks for the tip. I have machine lipped wheels and I hate the dust the stock pads leave.
I have the ultimate axxis,, yes a lot more dust than stock,,, no I won't take them off, the extra braking is worth the dust..
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MethodRN
To address several issues.....
1. I will contact some at performancecenter.com some time this week and see what they can do about a group buy. They have several options interms of rotor/pad combos. I have never dealt w/ them but I will try it out before I recommend them to you guys.
2. In terms of x-drilled and slotted rotors and cracking I haven't had any issues. My front rotors have about 10,000 miles on them and haven't had a problem. After bedding them in, of course. I've had them machined once in those 10,000+ miles. Like I said before I use Axxis/PBR Metal Masters and have very little dust, granted I do wash my car at least once/2weeks. Only complaint is slight squeak. Performance wise, my best 60-0 was 117 ft using g-tech pro. On Dunlop tires.
Alright guys. I'll try and get back to y'all about GB. If not try for yourselves. See ya
Any news on this group buy?