Unorthodox racing pulleys: Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012 | 11:29 PM
J-series addict

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh and soon i will show you pics of a knife edge and lightened 3.5 crank that is also internally balanced
That sounds so NICE! I have this weird intuition that you are doing something that I'm doing....

Are you doing the work (lightening) yourself?
Old 06-27-2012 | 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by yungone501
That sounds so NICE! I have this weird intuition that you are doing something that I'm doing....

Are you doing the work (lightening) yourself?
No. I Had a shop do it (along with piston and con rod work). (this isnt something you can do yourself unless you own a machine shop, and even then you probably wouldnt have the correct equipment to do it properly)
Old 06-28-2012 | 12:35 AM
J-series addict

No. I Had a shop do it (along with piston and con rod work). (this isnt something you can do yourself unless you own a machine shop, and even then you probably wouldnt have the correct equipment to do it properly)
Best friends a machinist, I'm aware and capable of having it done correctly. :-)

Waiting on my pistons to come in (Wiseco- had best price) and then will have the bottom end done up. Knife edge worth it?
Old 06-28-2012 | 06:30 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I can't wait until stuff like what you 2 just posted doesn't sound like chinese to me. In to know more.
Old 06-28-2012 | 07:31 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I can't wait until stuff like what you 2 just posted doesn't sound like chinese to me. In to know more.
I'm at a point where it's more like a a Chinaman speaking English with a rough accent.
Old 06-28-2012 | 08:33 AM

^^^LOL, you funny!
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

No Josh, it was nothing personal...just saying that the sales tactic worked on me and I paid the full 200 bucks, which I almost NEVER do for a mod. I'm not saying that there will eventually NOT be any left...I know that will happen.

But don't ignore the other 20 posts in this thread where I mention that I don't regret my decision to purchase the crank pulley and I definitely don't regret my decision to purchase it from you and support a forum vendor!

Great service, got to my house quickly etc. No complaints from me.
Got it. Just wanted to clarify.

To "Josh", Ive seen you say "these won't be produced anymore. This is the last batch. I have the only ones" a few times myself. It's definitely a 'tactic' as rockstar said but nobody ever said anything insulting about you. It's more or less a conversation about what's commonly noticed. No hard feelings on my end. Just bringing clarity on my responses about the 'tactic'.
Well the only products that have been discontinued and brought back are the CT-E headers, which are gone and we are trying to bring back, and the UR crank pulley, which was gone and we brought back. It isn't a tactic. It's a true statement. The pulley is only made for us and that is because we shelled out the money to make more so it could still be a mod available for the 2nd gen CL/TL. But unless I can produce this in a small quantity I won't be making these again either. China wins again. Low budget pulleys, headers, brakes, exhausts, etc will dominate the 2G market.
Old 06-28-2012 | 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Best friends a machinist, I'm aware and capable of having it done correctly. :-)

Waiting on my pistons to come in (Wiseco- had best price) and then will have the bottom end done up. Knife edge worth it?
thats good. Hopefully he has done it before and knows how to balance a crank
Old 06-28-2012 | 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Stock left, the right has been knife edged and lightened. See the material taken off of the weights, and how they come to a sharper edge like a knife? It cuts thru the oil smoother and has less weight which reduces rotational mass which frees up power just like the crank pulley and light weight flywheel. (the mass that was taken off of my crank equates to roughly 32 hp (this is coming from someone i know that used to design crankshafts for ford)

Old 06-28-2012 | 03:36 PM
Unregistered Member

32HP??! Oh Fuuu

Are there any disadvantages/side-effects? How much did it run you?
Old 06-28-2012 | 04:13 PM

that junk is crazy...amazing where you guys find HP in our motors. So cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-28-2012 | 07:12 PM
J-series addict

32hp my assholio. I'd believe you ONLY if you first showed dyno results of a big block V8 producing these kinds of numbers! Are you speaking in terms of crank lightening/knife edging only or in conjunction with balancing the lower end components as well....that MIGHT a little feasible.
Old 06-28-2012 | 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

32hp my assholio. I'd believe you ONLY if you first showed dyno results of a big block V8 producing these kinds of numbers! Are you speaking in terms of crank lightening/knife edging only or in conjunction with balancing the lower end components as well....that MIGHT a little feasible.
there is little to be removed from the rods/pistons but every little bit helps. Believe what you want. He did the math. He designed cranks for the powerstroke and a few other motors. Going by rotational mass (every thing rotational was weighed compression ratio (which will be around 12:1 to 12.5:1 and a few other variables that is the rough # that came up, also given the fact i will be using a light weight flywheel and crank pulley it looked as though more was possible. Now its all speculation due to mathematical calculations and what he has seen by reducing mass internally. The big key is how much more freely the motor will rev due to the reduced mass.

Also you would potentially see more gains on smaller higher reving motors than a big block. How do you thing F1 cars achieve 18K plus rev limits and 850+ horse power on small 2.4 liter V8s on regular pump gas naturally aspirated? It comes down to reducing as much mass as possible for starters (they weigh in at 210 lbs).
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:03 PM

...and F1 weighs 210 pounds? HOLY SHT, I'm learning all sorts of stuff today. Youngun...you're approach is brash, especially with a senior mod!
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:48 PM
Unregistered Member

...and F1 weighs 210 pounds? HOLY SHT, I'm learning all sorts of stuff today. Youngun...you're approach is brash, especially with a senior mod!
Nah, he just questioning to learn. Plus, Fatty don't care about stuff like that.

I gotta say though, 32HP is insane. Why wouldn't they do that from the factory? My first guess is cost, but maybe there is also a downside? Reduced durability? Thus, my two questions I asked in my last post.
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:49 PM

I wonder...who knows how much they shaved down to even give us the 287hp we DID get!!! ?!?!?
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Nah, he just questioning to learn. Plus, Fatty don't care about stuff like that.

I gotta say though, 32HP is insane. Why wouldn't they do that from the factory? My first guess is cost, but maybe there is also a downside? Reduced durability? Thus, my two questions I asked in my last post.
Yes, durability can be reduced. I dont plan on the motor making 500k miles like a typical honda motor. Especially if and when i get it fully tuned (still working on that, need to see if the ECU they have made for the 3rd gen can be made to work) and up the rev limit. Im looking to hopefully make power to 7500. Not going to stop till i get over 350+whp na (thats part of what is taking so long in the build)
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:58 PM

Well, that much, I KNOW is very doable.
Fasttyms, have you read up on gerzands build?! He had a cammed 3.2...then upgraded to a full type s and transferred a lot of his knowledge to it...I want to say he was at 400 N/A (or close to it). I apologize for the lack of specifics but PM him and see where he's at...probably same path you're on.
Old 06-28-2012 | 10:02 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

I learn something new everyday on the site, Amazing...
Old 06-28-2012 | 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, that much, I KNOW is very doable.
Fasttyms, have you read up on gerzands build?! He had a cammed 3.2...then upgraded to a full type s and transferred a lot of his knowledge to it...I want to say he was at 400 N/A (or close to it). I apologize for the lack of specifics but PM him and see where he's at...probably same path you're on.
The problem is is tunning this pig. the 2gcl 6 speed ecu has a messed up crank sensor that standalones dont play well with. .
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012 | 10:38 PM
Racer

Is that a civic crank? That aint no v6 or v8 or f1

A 4 cylinder crank has 8 big counterweights and is a flat crank making it easier to balance once the weight is taken off, v6 only has 4 and is not flat, you won't be able to shave off enough to make a difference. You'll get very minimal gains and they will be at 7000rpm+. This kind of mod is used on engines the live in the +7000rpm range. You usually won't see it on big v8's because taking that much off means you need to add weights just to balance it.

The "knife" part of the crank doesn't actually cut through the oil. The leading edge cuts through, the knife part just follows it. Imagine trying to push a v-hull boat through the water ass end first. and it doesn't cut through oil, it's spinning through oil vapor. The best thing you can do is to reshape the leading and trailing edge to a more aerodynamic shape to reduce the drag, add a windage tray or screen, add a crank scraper and/or add a vacuum pump.

The reason why Honda didn't do it. Cost, hard to balance, hard to dampen vibrations and harmonics. The heavier rotating mass, crank, flywheel and pulley, absorbs and stores more energy making the engine feel more smoother and getting better gas mileage.
civicdrivr (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012 | 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RooEng
Is that a civic crank? That aint no v6 or v8 or f1

A 4 cylinder crank has 8 big counterweights and is a flat crank making it easier to balance once the weight is taken off, v6 only has 4 and is not flat, you won't be able to shave off enough to make a difference. You'll get very minimal gains and they will be at 7000rpm+. This kind of mod is used on engines the live in the +7000rpm range. You usually won't see it on big v8's because taking that much off means you need to add weights just to balance it.

The "knife" part of the crank doesn't actually cut through the oil. The leading edge cuts through, the knife part just follows it. Imagine trying to push a v-hull boat through the water ass end first. and it doesn't cut through oil, it's spinning through oil vapor. The best thing you can do is to reshape the leading and trailing edge to a more aerodynamic shape to reduce the drag, add a windage tray or screen, add a crank scraper and/or add a vacuum pump.

The reason why Honda didn't do it. Cost, hard to balance, hard to dampen vibrations and harmonics. The heavier rotating mass, crank, flywheel and pulley, absorbs and stores more energy making the engine feel more smoother and getting better gas mileage.
no thats not a v6, it was used for explanation purposes only.

I agree to a point on your info, The knife edge would cut thru the oil IF there wasnt a windage tray in the way. And the best actual shape would be more of a rounded shape (like the leading edge in your pic) as it would produce less drag. Im not concerned about it as we have a windage tray. Im solely looking at it as a weight reduction (i had one crank done already that was able to get 7lbs taken off and balanced, current one is a little less). My motor will spend a lot of time high up in the rpm (as it does now) I have done this work a few times before on previous cars and yes, driveability is reduced. You have to learn how to drive it.
Old 06-28-2012 | 11:42 PM
Unregistered Member

GL if you're going to tackle the tune. Potentially walking into a nightmare.
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:05 AM
Weird

I love when people blatantly ignore engineering facts because *they* don't understand it.
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

The problem is is tunning this pig. the 2gcl 6 speed ecu has a messed up crank sensor that standalones dont play well with. .
i had that same issue when trying to tune my S/C'd auto. tuning issues with the J motor was the main reason i said fuck it and moved on.
Old 06-29-2012 | 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraSpook
I love when people blatantly ignore engineering facts because *they* don't understand it.
And who are you speaking to?
Old 06-29-2012 | 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by p.diddy
i had that same issue when trying to tune my S/C'd auto. tuning issues with the J motor was the main reason i said fuck it and moved on.
Kinda looks like im going to switch back to the auto harness and get the AEM 30-6051 to fully tune it There is a dyno shop not far from here that does alot with the aem units.
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:00 PM
Weird

I'm an electrical tech by strength and I've always said I'm mechanically declined by weakness...haha. That's being said, I can conceptualize most things mechanically but just like most here, I have a lot to learn and never stop asking questions when I dont know or understand something.

Anywho, thanks for the detailed description of that but I'm still convinced that most of the "10/10" gains will come from reducing the diameter. Not weight. Until that too is shown by dyno graph, ill stubbornly stick to my opinion. :-) I'm a show me type of person and because of that, I believe most knowledge I hold is pretty damn accurate!
Sorry I was reading along the thread and responded before getting to the end, I see that everything has been laid out concerning the benefits of reduced rotational mass. It was the there are still 4200lbs on the other side of the crank that got me, the engine itself actually see in the hundrends of pounds thanks to the gear box, so lightening anything out of the say 300lbs your car actually "sees" in first gear makes for gained performance.
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:15 PM
Weird

Kinda looks like im going to switch back to the auto harness and get the AEM 30-6051 to fully tune it There is a dyno shop not far from here that does alot with the aem units.
Is this the only option for EMS? There isn't anyway to use it with the 6speed harness?
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:49 PM

he was addressing youngone...at first I was like "who you talking to, buddy... " lol.
Old 06-29-2012 | 01:16 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by AcuraSpook
Is this the only option for EMS? There isn't anyway to use it with the 6speed harness?
Negative. It's NOT made for our cars. If you buy it and call them for help, they'll just tell you the TL is not supported. It is made for J-swaps on civics.
civicdrivr (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012 | 01:17 PM
Unregistered Member

Have any idea why Assman couldn't get passed 3k rev?
Old 06-29-2012 | 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Have any idea why Assman couldn't get passed 3k rev?
nope. but plenty others have it working on j swapped cars. just check out j32dotcom
Old 06-29-2012 | 02:15 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

nope. but plenty others have it working on j swapped cars. just check out j32a(dot)org
FTFY