Unorthodox racing pulleys: Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 07:12 PM
J-series addict

Good point...who wants $120 to give me the full effect of this pulley set???!!!
Old 06-24-2012 | 09:46 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

hahahah...glad you got the joke.
J.
Old 06-24-2012 | 11:31 PM
J-series addict

Well, it was a very close call between acknowledging the joke then saying something sarcastic yet friendly OR acting like I was way more intelligent than you, responding with a derogatory statement that was not only highly offensive but also gave me flame points with other fellow members here. However, due to the fact that you actually did pay $200 for this pulley set made me feel so bad, I went with option number 1 because I'm sure that the "results" you received were enough damage to your ego already.

;-)

Last edited by yungone501; 06-24-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Forgot my ;-) to indicate my humorous intention
Old 06-25-2012 | 01:22 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

well hell... atleast they look good

Name:  2012-04-16_20-19-59_433-1.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  2012-04-16_20-20-12_504-1.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  99.4 KB
Old 06-25-2012 | 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by yungone501
Well, it was a very close call between acknowledging the joke then saying something sarcastic yet friendly OR acting like I was way more intelligent than you, responding with a derogatory statement that was not only highly offensive but also gave me flame points with other fellow members here. However, due to the fact that you actually did pay $200 for this pulley set made me feel so bad, I went with option number 1 because I'm sure that the "results" you received were enough damage to your ego already.

;-)
Well, at least you acknowledge that to achieve this, you would have been acting. LOL...yeah, trust me, 2 years ago...I would have told you it would be NUTS to pay 200 bucks for something like this...but I'm running out of mods. I still feel like I got ripped...but couldn't find a good deal. $80 would have been friggin awesome. It's rare for me to pay full price for anything...I fell for Josh's (from XLR8) email telling me that there was a limited supply and they weren't making them anymore.

J.
Old 06-25-2012 | 08:01 AM
J-series addict

Lol. Is that the guy who's always promoting products here on Azine and saying that exact phrase "hurry because we have a limited supply on these and they will not be making these anymore. I was able to get the LAST batch to ever be produced."?

I'm gonna use that when it comes time to selling my car: okay guys, this is an 03 TL type S and they will not be making this one anymore. They stopped producing the 03's back in...well, 03. So hurry....because...they don't make em....or whatever.
Old 06-25-2012 | 08:07 AM
J-series addict

Inspire, glad you're impressed with the look of these things over the performance (or lack of). This mod is about as useful as that magnet thing that clamped around your fuel lines and was supposed to drastically increase fuel mileage. Someone says it's gonna make your car fast and people listen. Why? Because of the "logic" behind it. If somebody approached me asking would I pay $200 for 10hp that most likely wouldn't be felt...I'd laugh, then turn around and go buy that magnet thingie.
Old 06-25-2012 | 08:22 AM
Lives in Boost

Not sure how you're likening this to a placebo. It was night and day of a difference for me. Not as much as headers, but you can definitely feel how much faster the car revs as it approaches redline and just the overall lighter feel of the gas pedal. If that's a bad thing then please explain why.

That's like you saying a lightweight flywheel is a placebo just because your eyes aren't pushed into the back of your head when you floor the gas pedal.

If somebody approached me asking would I pay $200 for 10hp that most likely wouldn't be felt...I'd laugh, then turn around and go buy that magnet thingie.
then you would've made the wrong decision...
Old 06-25-2012 | 09:01 AM
J-series addict

Well, first of all, one mod performed on one car might make that car respond very differently than when installed on another. Kind of like P&P cylinder heads. If you P&P your heads on a factory engine you would probably see little if any results because the heads were designed to flow a certain amount of air in accordance to other parts on it. They matched with one another. Then if I P&P my cylinder heads on an engine that had the intake manifold, cams, exhause swapped or modified, I'd see big gains more than likely. That's because the heads have become a form of restriction in accordance to all the other parts that work in conjunction with it. So, if I didn't feel much difference on my car with the pulley, maybe it's because of this very principle. I've always had great perception when it comes to the performance aspect of a car...especially if it's my own car. When a person spends any amount of money on their car, you can bet your ass they will assess to their face turns blue just to try and feel a difference. Even if it means SAYING YOU DID WHEN YOU REALLY DIDN'T. But that's not me. I wanted to feel 'a' difference but did not. Not even the slightest...while driving that is. I felt a difference when I installed headers, SRI, when I went 2 steps colder on my plugs (slower), ran smaller tires, installed nitrous, etc... If I say I felt nothing, it's really because I felt nothing. Not because I wanna ride a forum band wagon and say "I felt something" just to fit in.
Old 06-25-2012 | 09:39 AM

I'm surprised you felt anything with the SRI...it has little to no gains, just sound, which could be perceived too, no!?! There are massive debates about this too...

And yes sir, you nailed it...he's the one that pops on and lets people know to buy buy buy this mod or that and it's in limited supply. Good guy though, overall. Just his sales approach.

J.
Old 06-25-2012 | 11:20 AM
Lives in Boost

Agreed that not everyone will feel the same gains as everyones car is different but I disagree that people say they felt a gain just because they spent money on it. I think it would be the exact opposite. If someone paid money and didn't feel a gain, they'd be pissed and WANT to voice their experience of "not getting their money's worth". I know I would.

I'm sure if we took a poll, there would be more people that felt gains over those that didn't. Noone's asking you to join a bandwagon or trying to get you to admit you felt something to fit in. I think we passed that stage in highschool, some earlier than that. Just seems like you're going out of your way to make your opinion a fact.
Old 06-25-2012 | 11:50 AM

^^^in addition, I think that the order that you do something might matter too. Like, I do something, feel a difference and then I get used to it and it feels the same every day.

young, I'm sure you can agree that saying the light pulley had no effect is an argument that people have about not feeling anything with a SRI/CAI...so it's very subjective.

Example would be adding the pulley with no other mods and feeling a huge difference vs. adding a jpipe one week, feeling it and then putting in the pulley and not noticing anything. Also, some mods compliment other mods, which would have an effect also.

J.
Old 06-25-2012 | 12:44 PM
Racer

Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it not there. The only way to see the difference is at the track.
Old 06-25-2012 | 01:04 PM

^^^Had that argument with my ex gf many, many times...
The following users liked this post:
mikebikelife (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012 | 01:21 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

LOL ^
They do look good, And I'm sure the engine must like having less weight the move around.
Old 06-25-2012 | 01:24 PM

Indeed, sir. It seems to, to me.
Old 06-25-2012 | 07:07 PM
J-series addict

Originally Posted by CL-Future

I'm sure if we took a poll, there would be more people that felt gains over those that didn't. Noone's asking you to join a bandwagon or trying to get you to admit you felt something to fit in. I think we passed that stage in highschool, some earlier than that. Just seems like you're going out of your way to make your opinion a fact.
Sorry man, don't mean to come off as I'm debating that my belief is fact...that's def not my intention here. It's more or less I try and respond to everyone's response so I guess it's more or less just to do with that.

As for the SRI, maybe it is the just another one of those mods that you assume adds power because of the sound...but man does it make that VTEC scream and sound badass! ;-)

To those I might have offended, I would like to apologize. I have nothing better to do with my time than to just annoy the shit out of you guys...
Old 06-25-2012 | 07:24 PM

LOL...naw...you're cool, man.
I agree, hard to argue with that...when vtec kicks...that intake sound is intoxicating for sure!
Old 06-25-2012 | 08:39 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

I installed comptech headers, XLR8 HFC and the pulleys all at once so i really can't say if it did make a difference or not.

What i do know is that the needle gets to redline faster.
Old 06-25-2012 | 08:55 PM
03 CLS-6

It's a proven fact they free up some power. My car is a perfect example because I have absolutely no internal work at all, no porting or polishing, and true bolt on only 3.2. I make some damn good numbers for only bolt on's because every mod I did helps. I still even have one more mod to do to free up some more power soon.

Here's my thread I made awhile ago pulleys and pictures of my complete pulley set when I bought it for reference.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/aluminum-pulleys-ralco-vs-unorthodox-racing-829578/
The following 2 users liked this post by 1foxbody:
AcuraSpook (07-03-2012), rockstar143 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012 | 09:37 PM
J-series addict

^^^
Those look sharp fox! I have UR and aren't anything like those.

Can anybody explain why Acura wouldn't install lighter pulleys from the factory? I mean, there's a reason for the weight of the heavy pulley. Not to familiar with imports (mechanically) but are they purposes as a harmonic balancer as well or is the rotating assembly balanced already? Things that make you say hmm ...
Old 06-25-2012 | 11:07 PM
Lives in Boost

Sorry man, don't mean to come off as I'm debating that my belief is fact...that's def not my intention here. It's more or less I try and respond to everyone's response so I guess it's more or less just to do with that.

As for the SRI, maybe it is the just another one of those mods that you assume adds power because of the sound...but man does it make that VTEC scream and sound badass! ;-)

To those I might have offended, I would like to apologize. I have nothing better to do with my time than to just annoy the shit out of you guys...
Sall good .
Old 06-26-2012 | 03:03 AM
Unregistered Member

The Virus is strong in this one... 2 years later, we'll have sacrificed a Street and a Civic...
Old 06-26-2012 | 08:12 AM

he already apologized, why you trying to stir the pot?

Supposedly, our motors are internally balanced....so there's no need. Probably lack of research or having to spend extra money on a lightweight aluminum etc.
Old 06-26-2012 | 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

yungon
Pull your stock crank pulley. Then feel the UR or option racing crank pulley compared to stock. I think you'd be a believer.

When I installed the option racing pulley I didn't think I felt any difference either. Until I went WOT in 1st gear. The rpm's were so fast to redline I was in shock.
Then on the HW dropping a gear, the car pulled so fast I kept hitting the limiter.
The following 2 users liked this post by fuzzy02CLS:
civicdrivr (06-26-2012), p.diddy (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012 | 07:22 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Supposedly, our motors are internally balanced....so there's no need. Probably lack of research or having to spend extra money on a lightweight aluminum etc.
Hmm... I've read a little bit of debate about this. Some people say it's internally balanced. Some people say it's not. All you need to know is that the lighter crank is proven not to damage the car.

HOWEVER, installing a CT lightweight aluminum flywheel along with a lightweight crank pulley WILL damage your car. I think this is an issue only with the CT flywheel, though. But it does support that the engine is NOT internally balanced.
Old 06-26-2012 | 09:13 PM

Fk that...ma shit is super internally balanced!

Ok, fair enough...no damage to the engine with just the lightweight crank.
Old 06-26-2012 | 10:36 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Originally Posted by RooEng
Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it not there.
^^^Had that argument with my ex gf many, many times...
"Is it in yet?"

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Hmm... I've read a little bit of debate about this. Some people say it's internally balanced. Some people say it's not. All you need to know is that the lighter crank is proven not to damage the car.

HOWEVER, installing a CT lightweight aluminum flywheel along with a lightweight crank pulley WILL damage your car. I think this is an issue only with the CT flywheel, though. But it does support that the engine is NOT internally balanced.
I wasn't around when people were having failures on the CT clutch, but how quickly did the issues arise?

I've been running the Option Racing pulley and CM clutch + lwfw for about 60k miles with no issues *thus far*.

Holy hell is it fun to rev
Old 06-26-2012 | 10:36 PM
J-series addict

Why wouldn't that support it? Not disputing just looking for the logical explanation to this. I'm currently in a 3.5 build and need to know if paying a large amount of money to have this done. Even contemplating doing this myself...
Old 06-27-2012 | 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

I wasn't around when people were having failures on the CT clutch, but how quickly did the issues arise?
Hundreds of miles. And there were only 2 if I remember right.. Not many wanted to mess with the CT setup because of cost. I'm not convinced it was the pulley. Too many variables & no one could prove it. It may have just been something with CT's flywheel.
civicdrivr (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012 | 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

I still feel like I got ripped...but couldn't find a good deal. $80 would have been friggin awesome. It's rare for me to pay full price for anything...I fell for Josh's (from XLR8) email telling me that there was a limited supply and they weren't making them anymore.

J.
I'm unsure why I'm getting throw under the bus in this thread. However, if you're referring to the UR crank pulley, yes it was discontinued by UR. We brought it back and had to purchase a large production run in order to bring it back for those who wanted it. As it stands I only have three left. After that, they will be gone again unless I see a demand for one. So yes there was a limited supply and yes there is a limited supply.
rockstar143 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012 | 01:40 PM
J-series addict

^^^
Do you know why the UR pulley set was discontinued to begin with?
Old 06-27-2012 | 02:45 PM
03 CLS-6

^^^
Do you know why the UR pulley set was discontinued to begin with?
Not enough sales like most aftermarket parts for the 2nd gen cl/tl.
Old 06-27-2012 | 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Most questions about the pulleys can be answered here.
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.aspx#section2

Unorthodox discontinues products when the market for that particular vehicles slows down and to make way for new applications. Company's such as Excelerate work with the community of enthusiast to bring back these parts to satisfy any demand.
Old 06-27-2012 | 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

i dont see how anyone doesnt notice the difference. i ran the option pulley and felt it right away after taking off my stock pulley to that one. i eventually swtiched to the UR pulley when i went supercharged.
Old 06-27-2012 | 07:37 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Well i just Sold the Extra UR Pully i had to bigdaddy (Erin), we will see if it makes a difference for him.
Old 06-27-2012 | 09:02 PM

No Josh, it was nothing personal...just saying that the sales tactic worked on me and I paid the full 200 bucks, which I almost NEVER do for a mod. I'm not saying that there will eventually NOT be any left...I know that will happen.

But don't ignore the other 20 posts in this thread where I mention that I don't regret my decision to purchase the crank pulley and I definitely don't regret my decision to purchase it from you and support a forum vendor!

Great service, got to my house quickly etc. No complaints from me.
Old 06-27-2012 | 09:21 PM
J-series addict

To "Josh", Ive seen you say "these won't be produced anymore. This is the last batch. I have the only ones" a few times myself. It's definitely a 'tactic' as rockstar said but nobody ever said anything insulting about you. It's more or less a conversation about what's commonly noticed. No hard feelings on my end. Just bringing clarity on my responses about the 'tactic'.
Old 06-27-2012 | 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I can tell you without a doubt that our cranks are internally balanced and the pulley is not a harmonic balancer. I even have a stock crank laying on my work bench and could point out the balancing holes drilled into it. This in NO way supports anything about the engine being internally balanced or not. I dont know where you would get that from.
civicdrivr (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012 | 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh and soon i will show you pics of a knife edge and lightened 3.5 crank that is also internally balanced
rockstar143 (06-28-2012)

Quick Reply: Unorthodox racing pulleys: Pros and Cons