UK Scamers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004 | 08:16 AM
Instructor

UK Scamers

Hey,
As i prefare to leave (i had to sell my 01 CL-S), i just want to follow up with my experience
in the selling dept. First of all, got a shit load of serious offers for the car and as previously
ref, sold it for $20K..
Now, i also got a crap load of weird e-mails ending in UK.. these notes always had the phrase
of "my client is interested blah, blah".. Their English was terrible. Even when i responded that the car was sold, they'd come back with a canned reply of directions on how to proceed with funny money.. i.e. "We'll send you $27K, you'll keep the $20K and you return $7K and we can avoid taxes etc..."... And not just once.. like i said, i'd received roughly 12 of these type e-mails...
Can someone explain what the game here is? I figure there is bogus transactions etc and you're gonna get ripped off but why the UK? and, any insight on the overall game here?
Old 11-04-2004 | 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

People get those all of the time.... check the off-topic forum too.... same thing.

Just ignore those emails. Better yet... delete them.

Oh and the scam itself is that they $27k (or whatever amount) check is a fake check... so they get your car, and not only do you have no money, but you have to pay the bank penalties for trying to pass a fake check.
Old 11-04-2004 | 08:31 AM
Instructor

Roger that

I sort of figured...why just from the UK?
Old 11-04-2004 | 11:42 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by pooky
I sort of figured...why just from the UK?
A twist on the ol nigerian money scam. The money often times stays in the US.

And FWIW, they usually don't even get the car. They want the money from the difference in the check amounts. ($7K). They get their wire, you are left holding a bad check. If you have more questions PM me. I just had this happen with a client a few months back.
Old 11-04-2004 | 11:51 AM
06nbp/blk int/navi/6mt

Originally Posted by pooky
Hey,
As i prefare to leave (i had to sell my 01 CL-S), i just want to follow up with my experience
in the selling dept. First of all, got a shit load of serious offers for the car and as previously
ref, sold it for $20K..
Now, i also got a crap load of weird e-mails ending in UK.. these notes always had the phrase
of "my client is interested blah, blah".. Their English was terrible. Even when i responded that the car was sold, they'd come back with a canned reply of directions on how to proceed with funny money.. i.e. "We'll send you $27K, you'll keep the $20K and you return $7K and we can avoid taxes etc..."... And not just once.. like i said, i'd received roughly 12 of these type e-mails...
Can someone explain what the game here is? I figure there is bogus transactions etc and you're gonna get ripped off but why the UK? and, any insight on the overall game here?

when i sold my expedition on 22's thru autotrader.com i had many emails that said "my client is interested", then i got a random phone call from some guy that didnt speak english very well. he wanted my social security # and address for his finance group and so he could mail me a check...i told him to go fuck himself...I HATE SCAMS! THEY DID THAT SAME ILL GIVE YOU 27THOUSAND AND YOU GIVE ME 7 THOUSAND BACK CRAP!
Old 11-04-2004 | 11:53 AM
Homeless

Social huh, no shit. That's pretty bold.
Old 11-04-2004 | 11:58 AM
06nbp/blk int/navi/6mt

thats exactly what i was thinking. i wasnt about to give out my social and my address to some random person. and the whole thing about "i'll give you a check for $27,000.00 and you just give me the remainder back" just sounded FISHY!.....i wonder if anyone falls for this crap....
Old 11-04-2004 | 12:00 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by jaxbchCL-S
i wonder if anyone falls for this crap....
Enough that the Secret Service actually take these scams seriously. It's becoming a big issue.
Old 11-04-2004 | 12:21 PM
Team Owner

I know it sounds like a waste of time, but even if only 1 out of every 100 people fall for it they probably still make pretty good money off the scam.
Old 11-04-2004 | 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I've gotten 6 of these since putting my car on Autotrader. Haven't gotten the $$ offers, but all said they have a "client" & if the car was still for sale. I replied it was & asked if they were in the US & if not I wouldn't deal with them. Haven't gotten any responses back.
Old 11-04-2004 | 02:00 PM
06nbp/blk int/navi/6mt

i bet the scam artists do get some people with thier attempts!
i didnt know it was that serious of an issue though.....secret service??....
Old 11-05-2004 | 09:01 AM
Instructor

No Dice

I had heard rumblings about this kind of stuff but geeez.. i hope someone gets
beaten badly over it.. i am sure 99 out of a 100 people won't buy into it but..as
usual, some elderly etc... might just get dubbed.. just like that Publisher clearing
House mess that some people really thought they had won...
I think it would be bitchin to set up a sting and follow it all through to the end..
would just love to bang on someone's door and a 44 shoved down someone's throat...
Old 11-05-2004 | 09:20 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by jaxbchCL-S
i bet the scam artists do get some people with thier attempts!
i didnt know it was that serious of an issue though.....secret service??....
Any type of cross-state dealings/fraud of this sort is the SS juristiction. Somebody F's with your credit/credit bureau, the SS comes knocking on their door.

They even have the newer internet fraud departments...gaining a presence due to sites like eBay & these car fraud scams.
Old 11-05-2004 | 11:25 AM
06nbp/blk int/navi/6mt

Originally Posted by chris3240929
Any type of cross-state dealings/fraud of this sort is the SS juristiction. Somebody F's with your credit/credit bureau, the SS comes knocking on their door.

They even have the newer internet fraud departments...gaining a presence due to sites like eBay & these car fraud scams.

GOOD! those s.o.b.'s should have the S.S. banging at their door....the more i think of it, the more it makes me mad. just want to find the fuc*ers and .......
Old 11-05-2004 | 02:14 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

give them fuckers your address they will send you a check with about $3 worth of postage then just tear it up and burn it!@!

If your going to try and fuck me out of money I WILL FUCK YOU OUT OF MONEY...