Type R owner making the Switch to a 03 CL type S

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type R owner making the Switch to a 03 CL type S

well I just wanted to welcome myself to this Board. some of you that Visit Honda-Tech Might know me as Vegeta the Moderator of the Type R forum.

I have driven a integra for about 5 years now. one LS, one GSR and 2 Type R's(the first of which was stolen)

well about a month ago my engine seized up due to a Spun rod bearing on Cyl number 3. so I take my car to acura and they inform me that I wont be able to recieve a Engine untill Aug 15. Under Florida Lemon law this entitle's me to return my car. so I decieded to take them up on the offer.

I have decieded on a 03 CL type S 6 speed.

the car is phenominal. it is extremely fast. I would almost say that in a drag race the car would pull a Type R. but on a road course w all know the outcome. but the car ws not designed for that.

From what I hae read the most popular mods are comptech springs, comptech headers/ and a 6000k HID upgrade. i have seen some nce cars in this forum. although most are alot differant from my personal taste. like big chrome rims. and huge stereo's. most cars are very nice.

I just had a question is the Navi a worth while upgrade? because it looks like it woul lose its novelty quickly. however I would love any input the members can offer.

mike
Old 05-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Banned

Re: Type R owner making the Switch to a 03 CL type S

Originally posted by Type R 0149
I just had a question is the Navi a worth while upgrade? because it looks like it woul lose its novelty quickly. however I would love any input the members can offer.
Always knowing where you are and never getting lost never loses its novelty. If all you do is drive 10 miles to and from work 5 days a week, then you don't need navi. If you ever go anywhere else, its invaluable.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:21 PM
I love my CL-S

Welcome to the family...have fun driving and modding the car
Old 05-18-2002, 12:27 PM
Darth Chocolate

Don't forget the cold-air intake and sways as favorite mods.

Welcome.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:30 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Welcome to the board....

I love my Navi, helps out a lot, and looks great.

DOM
Old 05-18-2002, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
type R 0149 ...welcome...now change your user name
serious....vegeta has a nice ring to it....

" he matild...sorry about the belemia and stuff ...i think its terrible that beatuful people like me made you feel bad about yourself and throw up and stuff.....fur serious..."
Old 05-18-2002, 12:39 PM
STi

I'm a Honda-Tech member too and I've seen you around over there. Anyways, Welcome Aboard!!! You can't go wrong with the 03 6spd CL-S luxury comfort+fantastic performance nuff said..
Old 05-18-2002, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

well I just wanted to welcome myself to this Board. some of you that Visit Honda-Tech Might know me as Vegeta the Moderator of the Type R forum.

the car is phenominal. it is extremely fast. I would almost say that in a drag race the car would pull a Type R.
there's no almost about it....that car will pull on an s2k...
Old 05-18-2002, 12:44 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Navi?

Due tot he fact that you used to own integra's and you probably are looking to be more on the speedy side, I wouldn't go for the Navi. It is an extra 50 lbs you don't need, and you won't be missing it since you had integs. But if you want you can convert it so it can play DVD's, which would be really cool. I didn't get it because i don't need to pay 2000 for something that's gonna weight me down and I'm never gonna use.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Honkey

If you have any questions about installing hydraulics, which 20s will fit, or how many 15" subs you can cram in the car, give me a PM. I'd be happy to help you out
Old 05-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

From what I hae read the most popular mods are comptech springs, comptech headers/ and a 6000k HID upgrade. i have seen some nce cars in this forum. although most are alot differant from my personal taste. like big chrome rims. and huge stereo's. most cars are very nice.
The mods I would suggest doing in the following order (I think most people would agree with this):

1 - Comptech swaybars
2 - AEM CAI
3 - Comptech sport springs and Koni yellow struts OR NEX or TIEN full coilovers - depending on if you want a more fixed suspension setup or the ability to create your own height and ride settings.
4 - Comptech headers
5 - Tires. By now you've put some miles on the stockers and you realize how crappy they are. I suggest waiting until now to change them because you want to be sure your suspension setup isn't cambered or anything - better to do all the tweaking on the stock tires!

mike
I don't have the Navi and I've never needed it. I have put 28k miles on my car in the year-and-a-month I've had it. I drive all over but I've never needed more than a map or MapQuest/MapsOnUs to get me where I'm going.

I suppose if you tend to get lost a lot or you're a pizza delivery guy, you might want that navi. Personally I'd find it more distracting than anything. Save the $2k and use it for mods.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:16 PM
Pro

I got the Nav just for a toy. It is unbelievable how often I use it. I always knew that I had a bad since of direction, but I think it is getting worse. I think it is worth it.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to our happy family.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:57 PM
whoXwanXsum

navi is the shit, i wouldnt ,couldnt have a cl-s without it. you gotta get the navi brother
Old 05-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

I have been building B-series Civics and Integra's for years now. I have decieded to go for a more race aproach to the CLS

1st on my list is to buy 17' Mugen MF-10's the weigh 15 lbs. and will cut down on rotational mass alot.

Second I will invest in the TEIN suspension(used on my DC2 teg before great setup)

then I will install the Comptech Sway bars.

After that I am going to begin to do research on what engine Mods to do.

I am also gonna contact alot of my friends in the honda buisness in japan. I want to see with anyone has made a higher Final drive for the 6-speed. I think these cars with a little tighter gears would be great.

I also plan on removing at least 200lbs of weight from the car.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
congrats.

stock for stock a 6spd cl would spank a type r integra in the 1/4. no contest.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:10 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Weight

How are you gonna lose weight? I'm def down to dump a few hundred pounds. Let me know.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Powered By HONDA

yah navi is kind of cool if u have money to add on... i am kind of regret that i did not buy one at the time i bought my cls... go for it..
Old 05-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Definitely worth it!!!!!
Old 05-19-2002, 01:18 AM
8th Gear

I am also gonna contact alot of my friends in the honda buisness in japan. I want to see with anyone has made a higher Final drive for the 6-speed. I think these cars with a little tighter gears would be great.

I also plan on removing at least 200lbs of weight from the car.
how do you plan to remove 200lbs? Are you going to take out all the sound deatning stuff?
Old 05-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I've had my CL-S for almost two years now. And even after all that time, I still miss my Teg
I loved its looks, its handling, the acceleration was good enough, and build quality was much much better. It also felt better, like the car wrapped around you.

My CL-S is great, but it does feel more like you are in a reclining chair in your living room It doesn't have that wrap around you sports car feel, and definitely not the handling (even with mods)
I think they should have made the CL coupe a bit smaller than the TL sedan.

So definitely test drive the CL-S quite a few times. Don't concentrate on the engine. Rather check out the feel as compared to your teg. It is a large adjustment.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Subie Dubie

Congrats and welcome !! Every mod i've done is worthwhile and would recommend them all. Sways were a huge improvement, intake i should have done sooner, the Comptech springs and Konis made it a new car and the lighter wheels and tires made it new again. Headers are awesome and well worth it. Navi is a waste in my opinion, spend the 2k on performance. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mattg
congrats.

stock for stock a 6spd cl would spank a type r integra in the 1/4. no contest.
That's what I told my friend the other night, but he said a type r can run 14.4 if driven well. I thought they were more mid-to-high 14s
Old 06-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Type R 0149

I have driven a integra for about 5 years now. one LS, one GSR and 2 Type R's(the first of which was stolen)

well about a month ago my engine seized up due to a Spun rod bearing on Cyl number 3. so I take my car to acura and they inform me that I wont be able to recieve a Engine untill Aug 15. Under Florida Lemon law this entitle's me to return my car. so I decieded to take them up on the offer.

I have decieded on a 03 CL type S 6 speed.

the car is phenominal. it is extremely fast. I would almost say that in a drag race the car would pull a Type R. but on a road course w all know the outcome. but the car ws not designed for that.

mike
dude are you on tampa racing?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

welcome to the board, happy modding.

Sound like you know exactly where you want to go.

Over time, let us know how the CLS6 compares to your teg bunch.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Post date of 2002....information about thread starter:

Last Activity: 05-22-2002 01:16 AM

Unless he changed his name I dont think he will respond....
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Red Rider
Congrats and welcome !! Every mod i've done is worthwhile and would recommend them all. Sways were a huge improvement, intake i should have done sooner, the Comptech springs and Konis made it a new car and the lighter wheels and tires made it new again. Headers are awesome and well worth it. Navi is a waste in my opinion, spend the 2k on performance. Good luck.
dude...why did you bring up a 2 year old thread?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:48 PM
///M POWER

that cali heat is getting to his head
Old 06-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'll admit, I just got owned like a mofo.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis23
Old 06-29-2004, 09:56 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis23
haha, yeah you did!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

no ill admit im the one that brought this one back from the dead. I saw this thread in the 'related threads' section of another thread i was looking at, so i figured it was current.

I still would like to know what a stock Type R runs in the 1/4 if anyone knows
Old 06-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Power of Dreams

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P

I still would like to know what a stock Type R runs in the 1/4 if anyone knows
Search on Honda-Tech for documentation, mid 14's in one driven well...sometimes even quicker, although rare.

One of many threads: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=54974
Old 06-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Get the navi. The damn thing is fascinating. And I use mine once a week at least. Today, I went somewhere I have never been, via the Illinois Tollway, and if I wanted to use it to get back home I would have to use an automated (only) toll booth to get off, and I was out of change. And all I had on me was a $100 bill. With the navi, you get a view of the roads about a mile each way, depending on the scale you use. 1/2" on the screen can represent 1/20th of a mile, or 500 miles. And lots of choices inbetween. So I just navigated my way home by dead reaconing.

If you ask the navi to find you a restaurant (and the navi does NOT consider Club Mickey's, wendys or BK to be restaurants), it will ask you what kind you want. All types? American? Chinese? French? Italian? Thai? Japanese? Vegetarian? You get the idea. Whatever you choose, it will point the direction and distance to the nearest one, then the next nearest, etc.

The navi is VERY easy to use, unlike some other systems like BMW, which I hear isn't so great.

Hook up with a navi owner in your area, and it doesn't have to be a CL, any Acura navi will do and get a demo.

I sold my first 2003 non navi CLS to get a navi after only 11,000 miles, and I never regret the choice. And if you don't like the route the navi picks, just go ahead and start out on it. Blow off the instruction you don't like and keep going and wait about 15 seconds. It will recalculate another route for you.

The navi is like heated seats. Once you have them, never again a car without them.

And don't forget, when you get the navi, you get free OnStar for one year, and you get a built in car phone, free. I use mine all the time. Impresses the crap out of people.

Remember: DEMO!

Some people here have taken their non navi CL and converted it to a navi at a later date. Trust me, you DON'T want to do that!
Old 06-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Go Cubs!!!

Originally Posted by dfreder370
Get the navi. The damn thing is fascinating. And I use mine once a week at least. Today, I went somewhere I have never been, via the Illinois Tollway, and if I wanted to use it to get back home I would have to use an automated (only) toll booth to get off, and I was out of change. And all I had on me was a $100 bill. With the navi, you get a view of the roads about a mile each way, depending on the scale you use. 1/2" on the screen can represent 1/20th of a mile, or 500 miles. And lots of choices inbetween. So I just navigated my way home by dead reaconing.

If you ask the navi to find you a restaurant (and the navi does NOT consider Club Mickey's, wendys or BK to be restaurants), it will ask you what kind you want. All types? American? Chinese? French? Italian? Thai? Japanese? Vegetarian? You get the idea. Whatever you choose, it will point the direction and distance to the nearest one, then the next nearest, etc.

The navi is VERY easy to use, unlike some other systems like BMW, which I hear isn't so great.

Hook up with a navi owner in your area, and it doesn't have to be a CL, any Acura navi will do and get a demo.

I sold my first 2003 non navi CLS to get a navi after only 11,000 miles, and I never regret the choice. And if you don't like the route the navi picks, just go ahead and start out on it. Blow off the instruction you don't like and keep going and wait about 15 seconds. It will recalculate another route for you.

The navi is like heated seats. Once you have them, never again a car without them.

And don't forget, when you get the navi, you get free OnStar for one year, and you get a built in car phone, free. I use mine all the time. Impresses the crap out of people.

Remember: DEMO!

Some people here have taken their non navi CL and converted it to a navi at a later date. Trust me, you DON'T want to do that!

Old 06-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
hahaha, i wondered why everyone was replying to an old ass thread!!!