Type of gas used and Electronic Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type of gas used and Electronic Fuel Injection

hey everyone,

I just got from the dealer today for the reccall so they could add in the oil jet to the transmission, also one of the mechanics drove my car alittle bit cuz i told him the acceleration was kinda slow. He said that it seemed liek the gas i was using. Well the thing is that I bought the car used, so I don't have any idea how the previous owner maintained it, i don't know if she/he used regular gas or the 91 octane gas. I thought the car was premium gas, i only filled it up once since i had the car, got it like last week. He said that it felt like carbon build up and something about carbon building around the throttle so that gas doesn't enter in quickly (sorry, I'm not that great at expalining stuff about cars), anyway he said that to clean it out, i should get an Electronic Fuel Injection done to clean out my car. anyway i'm planning to get that done sometime, the thing is that the electronic fuel injection is $140 at Acura. My question is, can other places do it and would it be cheaper or is it better just to have Acura do it for me?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andyjl
hey everyone,

I just got from the dealer today for the reccall so they could add in the oil jet to the transmission, also one of the mechanics drove my car alittle bit cuz i told him the acceleration was kinda slow. He said that it seemed liek the gas i was using. Well the thing is that I bought the car used, so I don't have any idea how the previous owner maintained it, i don't know if she/he used regular gas or the 91 octane gas. I thought the car was premium gas, i only filled it up once since i had the car, got it like last week. He said that it felt like carbon build up and something about carbon building around the throttle so that gas doesn't enter in quickly (sorry, I'm not that great at expalining stuff about cars), anyway he said that to clean it out, i should get an Electronic Fuel Injection done to clean out my car. anyway i'm planning to get that done sometime, the thing is that the electronic fuel injection is $140 at Acura. My question is, can other places do it and would it be cheaper or is it better just to have Acura do it for me?
You can get it done at almost any service shop. I believe most places will charge around $90-100.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what you consider "a little slow", but I'd drive the car for a few weeks and see what it does before I spend any big money. Might just neeed a few tanks of decent gas.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I need FI

Originally Posted by Zippee
I don't know what you consider "a little slow", but I'd drive the car for a few weeks and see what it does before I spend any big money. Might just neeed a few tanks of decent gas.

I would try putting 3 or 4 tanks of 94 octane, just to clean out the lead accumulation and then continue driving by always putting 91 octane... I don't understand people that put 87, jsus....
Old 09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I need FI

if in 2 weeks, you think there is still missing acceleration and fuel injection, go service it.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by berny

I would try putting 3 or 4 tanks of 94 octane, just to clean out the lead accumulation and then continue driving by always putting 91 octane... I don't understand people that put 87, jsus....

The "lead accumulation" ?? Buddy we switched to unleaded gas here in the '70s. Although they do say is 20-30 years behind the times when compared to the U.S.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Before spending the $$$ for a injection cleaning, go to your local Toyota dealer parts department and get a CAN of Toyota EFI Cleaner. This is the best EFI cleaner I have ever used. Add in to one half tank of fuel and run the car to empty as quick as you can. DO NOT leave this product in your tank for more than 2-3 days! The first time I used this stuff I poured it into a long neck plastic fuel additive bottle to make it easier to add. As I poured it in the top, it came out through the bottom! Now I know why it comes in a STEEL CAN. I have seen this stuff cure some pretty ratty running cars over the years. It runs about $10.00-$12.00 a can.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by berny

where could i get 94 octane gas (sorry, as far as i know, all the major gas stations, chevron, mobil, shell, etc), the highest they have is 91 i believe.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:04 AM
Instructor

Try this, you'll thank you self later. www.lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm

And no I'm not a distributor. just a skeptical user. Has been great. A gallon is like $35.00, but you only use 1 oz for every 5 gallon of gasoline. The bottle treats about 640 gallons. do the math, pretty cheap cleaner.