Two more kills

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 PM
The Case Worker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two more kills

I was cruising down the NY Thruway today and two cars go flying past, an '02 Subaru WRX and a late 90s Integra GS-R, so I decide to catch up.

First up, the GS-R and the kid was smiling when he pulled up next to me looking like he thought it was an easy win, not really sure though what he was thinking. Anyway, he was manual, I'm auto I dropped into tip in 3rd gear at around 75 and we did the three beeps and I quickly pulled a car length out in front, shifted into 4th gear near 95ish and cruised on at that distance when we finally shut off.

Second, Subaru WRX who was flying in and out of cars, being completely reckless, and pulling away from me every time I got close. Finally I lined up next to him with no one else in sight, and we punched it around 80mph and stayed pretty close and I had about half a car length on him by the time we ran out of room.

Anyway, the acceleration in this car is decent, but I need more, so I'll be looking to pick up some headers and exhaust in the next month or so. All feedback/comments welcome.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2CLS
I'm auto I dropped into tip in 3rd gear at around 75 and we did the three beeps and I quickly pulled a car length out in front, shifted into 4th gear near 95ish and cruised on at that distance when we finally shut off.

Anyway, the acceleration in this car is decent, but I need more, :
A way to pick up more acceleration is to atleast autostick it correctly. You are shifting into our slowest gear 15mph too early. Our cars can go up to I think 110mph in 3rd gear. Next time you want to really pull, don't be so quick to put it into 4th gear. The high RPMS in our car are when the power really kicks in, dont rob yourself of all that hp.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 PM
///M Power

Nice kills! But definitly take the tips from pits200. It sounds like your shifting too early, take that thing up higher! And those headers make a nice noticable difference, get those things asap!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Current Car:
2001 Acura CL-Type S - 18x7.5 5zigen FN-01R, Custom CAI, Protected by Valentine 1
What exactly is a custom CAI? Don't know what that is but if it's a Home Depot deal or something , I think starting with an Injen or AEM CAI is your best bet. Next I'd get XS Power headers. Best bang for the buck. Then maybe a tb spacer and pulleys. Oh yeah, and of course you could always go with a Comptech supercharger if you got the dough for it. Nice kills btw. Love to pull on the WRXs.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 PM
The Case Worker

Originally Posted by CLariSe-169
What exactly is a custom CAI? Don't know what that is but if it's a Home Depot deal or something , I think starting with an Injen or AEM CAI is your best bet. Next I'd get XS Power headers. Best bang for the buck. Then maybe a tb spacer and pulleys. Oh yeah, and of course you could always go with a Comptech supercharger if you got the dough for it. Nice kills btw. Love to pull on the WRXs.
Custom would be my friend welding his own pipes custom made for my car along with a K&N filter. There is absolutely no difference in your $175 AEM CAI and my custom welded one, it does the exact same thing and for $60, that extra $100 would just be a waste

Anyway, I'm just waiting for my birthday which is in a month so I have enough cash for gas and other things besides my mods and then I'll be getting the XS Power Headers.

As for the taking it higher, I come from a muscle car background and am used to tons of torque with a 5800rpm redline, so I'm still getting adjusted!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was cruising down the NY Thruway today and two cars go flying past, an '02 Subaru WRX and a late 90s Integra GS-R, so I decide to catch up.

First up, the GS-R and the kid was smiling when he pulled up next to me looking like he thought it was an easy win, not really sure though what he was thinking. Anyway, he was manual, I'm auto I dropped into tip in 3rd gear at around 75 and we did the three beeps and I quickly pulled a car length out in front, shifted into 4th gear near 95ish and cruised on at that distance when we finally shut off.

Second, Subaru WRX who was flying in and out of cars, being completely reckless, and pulling away from me every time I got close. Finally I lined up next to him with no one else in sight, and we punched it around 80mph and stayed pretty close and I had about half a car length on him by the time we ran out of room.

Anyway, the acceleration in this car is decent, but I need more, so I'll be looking to pick up some headers and exhaust in the next month or so. All feedback/comments welcome.
CL-S has a high flow exhaust...you don't really need an exhaust system...if you have the premium model I'd say

Headers though, a definate must.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Custom would be my friend welding his own pipes custom made for my car along with a K&N filter. There is absolutely no difference in your $175 AEM CAI and my custom welded one, it does the exact same thing and for $60, that extra $100 would just be a waste

Anyway, I'm just waiting for my birthday which is in a month so I have enough cash for gas and other things besides my mods and then I'll be getting the XS Power Headers.

As for the taking it higher, I come from a muscle car background and am used to tons of torque with a 5800rpm redline, so I'm still getting adjusted!
Ooooooh kay. Just asking. I didn't know people actually weld their own CAIs. Interesting. Well, that's good then, I'd move onto headers before an exhaust. No HP gains from an exhaust on our CL-S like Green said.

I miss my Skylark's 5k RPM redline... but most of all I miss her torque.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My gfs brother has a mustang and I know what you mean about the low rpm line. I drove his car once and he thought I was going to blow the engine because I kept wanting to push the car past its lil tiny itty bitty teensy weensy 5800 rpm redline. I had to toss that shifter around alot faster than I do with imports.

What a waste those cars are with their displacement. Why can they only make a couple more horsepower with their cars, yet they have 1.5 liters more. If I may say, thats inefficient.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
The Case Worker

The exhaust I'm actually getting lucky on because there is someone local who is swapping back to stock and I'm getting their Neuspeed exhaust for the price of the swap

As for the low redline....

It was terrible and I'd be into 3rd gear by like 45mph. So, it's still a matter of getting used to it all. The kills will keep on coming though
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pits200
My gfs brother has a mustang and I know what you mean about the low rpm line. I drove his car once and he thought I was going to blow the engine because I kept wanting to push the car past its lil tiny itty bitty teensy weensy 5800 rpm redline. I had to toss that shifter around alot faster than I do with imports.

What a waste those cars are with their displacement. Why can they only make a couple more horsepower with their cars, yet they have 1.5 liters more. If I may say, thats inefficient.
You had to toss the shifter around alot faster because you were accellerating alot faster that you do with imports.
Actually what a waste it is waiting on vtec to kick in because by the time it does I am already 2 cars ahead and am still making 100 ft/lbs of torque more than you. Truth is there is no substitute for cubic inches. Look at the diesels they top out at 3000 rpm but with just a power tune they are putting out 500 hp and almost 900 ft/lbs of torque. I saw a Dodge Ram waste a Viper at the dragstrip.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
The Case Worker

^^

Very true. My uncle just sold his twin turbo Cummins Diesel that was pushing 800rwhp 1080rwtq and he was running low 11s on a 7500lb truck. Those things are amazing.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Instructor

^^

Very true. My uncle just sold his twin turbo Cummins Diesel that was pushing 800rwhp 1080rwtq and he was running low 11s on a 7500lb truck. Those things are amazing.
Nice kills! Isn't it fun beating those WRX's. The drivers are usually cocky so its fun beating them. If you got the $ do the whole exhaust headers back it will be worth it.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nice kills, definitely get headers, and nice find on the exhaust. The main difference between stock and after market exhaust for our cars is the sound though, but it's still nice to have.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
The Case Worker

Originally Posted by 03silvertypeS
nice kills, definitely get headers, and nice find on the exhaust. The main difference between stock and after market exhaust for our cars is the sound though, but it's still nice to have.
Yeah it was a pretty lucky find, but quite honestly it's the same case for almost every performance oriented car. The most hp you'll see out of an exhaust is 5-7 crank hp, so the difference between getting nothing and 5crank hp doesn't matter to me, it's all about having the sound to compliment the car
Old 02-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by crippler22
Nice kills! Isn't it fun beating those WRX's. The drivers are usually cocky so its fun beating them. If you got the $ do the whole exhaust headers back it will be worth it.
It's even more fun wasting STI's...
Old 02-04-2007, 12:17 AM
The Case Worker

Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
It's even more fun wasting STI's...
Not yet haha. I was going to get a CTS-V, but I didn't get enough on my trade-in for the Mercedes and didn't want to spend the extra amount monthly. It's an awesome car and underrated by most. Glad you threw a Maggie on there. You just need to upgrade that notoriously weak rear-end and you'll be running low 12s
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Blown LS6!!

Not yet haha. I was going to get a CTS-V, but I didn't get enough on my trade-in for the Mercedes and didn't want to spend the extra amount monthly. It's an awesome car and underrated by most. Glad you threw a Maggie on there. You just need to upgrade that notoriously weak rear-end and you'll be running low 12s
If I put slicks on the car now it'll run low-12's....ONCE!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Judging by your signature, you've only had one muscle car. lol

Nice runs though. If you had run that Scooby higher in your RPM band, I'm sure you would have pulled further on him.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

where is ursuper's threads??? he used to post here like twice a week, is he dead or locked up??
Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
The Case Worker

Originally Posted by All Mine
Judging by your signature, you've only had one muscle car. lol

Nice runs though. If you had run that Scooby higher in your RPM band, I'm sure you would have pulled further on him.
Well, yeah, even though it was a V6, I did a lot of work inlcluding a cam so it wasn't terrible. Also, length wise, I've had the V6/Cobra for most of my driving days. The Integra was only 2 months, the Mercedes only 5...also most of my friends have weekend muscle cars, so I'd say I deal with mostly muscle cars.

Anyway, I wish I had, but it's ok atleast I still won!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
nice kills.

how positive are you that it was a GSR.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Burning Brakes

lol if i still had my Civic with GSR swap I'd give you a good run....If the subie driver brake boost he probably would have jumped ahead of you for bit cause most of my friends now have subies and evos. Anyways a win is a win mad props to you
Old 02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by supaman8118
where is ursuper's threads??? he used to post here like twice a week, is he dead or locked up??
I think he was put on a permanent time out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185881
Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
The Case Worker

Well he had the GSR badging and I don't know that much about those cars, but a regular Integra would not have put up any fight, he also had a little bit of work done to it, sounded like CAI, and saw lightweight wheels, suspension and exhaust. Anyway, I'd assume it was a GSR, but you never know.

Oh, and thank god that guy is gone. He was really pissing me off with those ridiculous descriptions as Clarise pointed out so well
Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CLariSe-169
I think he was put on a permanent time out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185881
lol@that...how did I miss that?