Twin Screw SCer

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:28 AM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Screw SCer

I don't know if u guys head about this new SCer that is comming out. It is a Twin Screw positive displacement setup. All I can really say is FULL BOOST AT (no higher than) 2.5K . I am currnently working with a fellow BMW member to construct a kit for my M Coupe (not M3) . We are looking for 350whp right out of the box. Which is very do-able.

Maybe we should hit up CT and have them make a twin screw for the CLS. Yea right, wait 3 years, and pay 10K+. Although I think that the results would be worth it.

Juker008
Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro

twin screw sc's have been out a very very long time. They are made in Sweden, Lyschom or something like that I believe. That is what Kenney Bell and others use in their kits. That is what the new Ford GT is running. More efficient and less charge heating that a roots type Eaton blower.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:01 AM
TRELOS

Oh I was given the impression that it was a new design. I mean if it is far superior to any other SCer out there then why the hell are BMW tuner shop marketing centrifical SCers. They know that we drive Bimmers so they know that the cash is there. Huh go figure .

Juker008
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Twin screws have been around for a LONG LONG time.

Twin screws are by no means more superior then Centrifiguls. They are two different systems w/ different results. Centrif's are more like a turbo charger where boost and power is gradually built up, this has it's benefits as by not having to much power down low you are able to hook up, etc. better. You will also be displaying more peak HP and TQ higher in the powerband. Where w/ a twin screw, or roots type blower power is almost instant.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is you M coupe the same as the current 333 M3 motor, or is it the 240 horse power version. Because the new M3 doesnt take mods very well. My cousin has put in the Dinan chip, headers, b+b Triflow exhaust, dinana intake, Coilovers, Many body upgrades, lighter and stronger wheels, ect. With all the power goodies and no resonators, he only made 7 whp on the dyno more than stock, and peak was like 11 horses.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro

centrifical charger is easy to adapt and install. kits can be made real easy for those, but they only provide an advantage in the mid to upper whereas a screw type gives butt loads of boost right from the get go but generally will peter out up top.

There is a kit out for the ford lightning motors though that uses like the biggest screw type (3.3l of displacement) good for over 30lbs boost. this thing does not peter out up top and can support a motor pumping over 800hp. These things will have like 600lbs/ft of tq at barely above idle.

that would be fun to say the least.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
also, if i'm not mistaken, isn't comptechs a twin screw SC?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Cars are an addiction

My Xterra came with a twin screw. Also called a "roost blower" by the gear hears at the drags..
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by CLean
My Xterra came with a twin screw. Also called a "roost blower" by the gear hears at the drags..

Roots blowers and Twin Screws are different I believe.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:35 PM
TRELOS

Originally posted by CLpower
Twin screws have been around for a LONG LONG time.

Twin screws are by no means more superior then Centrifiguls. They are two different systems w/ different results. Centrif's are more like a turbo charger where boost and power is gradually built up, this has it's benefits as by not having to much power down low you are able to hook up, etc. better. You will also be displaying more peak HP and TQ higher in the powerband. Where w/ a twin screw, or roots type blower power is almost instant.

Every where I've been reading Twin Screw is far superior to any other type of FI out there. It allows full boost very low and still can deliver high numbers up top. Centrifical SCers 'are like turbo chargers' they take forever to boost up. If someone has problems hooking up then they shouldn't be considering SCer before they consider suspension. If I were up on the line against someone with a Centrifical vs my Twin Screw I would most definatly smoke him off the line and down the 1/8 before he has attained enough RPM to match my power.

I have not found any evidence that shows that Twin Screw is less efficient than any other FI out there. The onyl down side that I have found that I can ignor is that it relys on the crank to be driven.

Juker008
Old 01-13-2004, 03:37 PM
TRELOS

Originally posted by bigman
Is you M coupe the same as the current 333 M3 motor, or is it the 240 horse power version. Because the new M3 doesnt take mods very well. My cousin has put in the Dinan chip, headers, b+b Triflow exhaust, dinana intake, Coilovers, Many body upgrades, lighter and stronger wheels, ect. With all the power goodies and no resonators, he only made 7 whp on the dyno more than stock, and peak was like 11 horses.

All that and only 7 to the wheels. Something is definatly wrong. Chip alone will give 15. Have him talk to Osh. Oh yea I opted to purchase the 240 Hp version, because of the 10.5 CR.

Juker008
Old 01-13-2004, 03:43 PM
TRELOS

Originally posted by lrutt
centrifical charger is easy to adapt and install. kits can be made real easy for those, but they only provide an advantage in the mid to upper whereas a screw type gives butt loads of boost right from the get go but generally will peter out up top.

There is a kit out for the ford lightning motors though that uses like the biggest screw type (3.3l of displacement) good for over 30lbs boost. this thing does not peter out up top and can support a motor pumping over 800hp. These things will have like 600lbs/ft of tq at barely above idle.

that would be fun to say the least.

I thought the same but I have seen the dyno and it does not lose up top, it still keeps going. I believe what really matters is how well the intake manifold held up stock. The intake manifold of my M dies off ater 5.5 . Changing out the intake on my M to a 95 M will give me 15hp extra up top but make me lose 7Tq down low. So with the SCer and stock intake manifold, it keeps the stock restiction/backpressure and doesn't lose Tq down low. As teh Scer keeps forcing air up top it doesn't lose up top either.

Juker008
Old 01-13-2004, 04:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by Juker008

I have not found any evidence that shows that Twin Screw is less efficient than any other FI out there. The onyl down side that I have found that I can ignor is that it relys on the crank to be driven.

Juker008

no where did I say it was less efficient. Each and every kit out there has it's place. It's really up to the owner. Even w/ suspension and proper tires hooking up can be a serious problem w/ alot of torque. That is why a lot of people go w/ centri's.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

The Comptech SC uses an Eaton/Magnuson roots style blower (although some people mistakenly call it is twin screw blower). A twin screw blower is more efficient than a roots blower at high boost levels. However, below 8 - 10 PSI the current Eaton blowers are nearly as efficient while giving the same near peak boost at lower revs.

The current generation Eaton blowers, while related to the traditional roots style units, are vastly improved and no longer a definite roots blower.

http://automotive.eaton.com/product/...rchargers.html

Heck, I see 75% of my peak boost at 2k revs.

Just FYI, a turbo is more efficient than any belt driven compressor or blower.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 PM
TRELOS

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....M3SCvM3Stk.pdf .

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ercharger.html .

Juker008