Trunk lid rattle from BASS...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 09:31 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Trunk lid rattle from BASS...

So.... if you stand outside of my car... it sounds like SHIT cuz instead of hearing bass you hear the vibration of the trunk lid... and at low volumes i hear it in my car.

how in the f- can we fix this?

if i push down on the lid it stops vibrating... but how would i tighten it up from the inside?
Old 12-03-2001, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Trunk lid rattle from BASS...

Originally posted by soopa
So.... if you stand outside of my car... it sounds like SHIT cuz instead of hearing bass you hear the vibration of the trunk lid... and at low volumes i hear it in my car.

if i push down on the lid it stops vibrating... but how would i tighten it up from the inside?
I've got friends with systems in their BMWs, they have the same problem, but its with the license plate frame. They use weather stripping on the back of the license plate frame to make the rattles stop. Maybe somehow incorporate this into the trunk lid?

Also, I've know some cars which have 'stoppers' on both sides of the trunk lid when open. If the CLS has these, try to tighten these down more so that the lid closes more.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, first off, don't use dynamat, that shit does NOTHING to stop the rattles.

One of the culprits in the Acura CLS trunk is the wire that does the automatic trunk opener. That wire rattles when the bass hits, go get some weathersealer and wrap that shit up. Also, our wings seem to contribute to the rattling. The trunk itself, the lid, rattles the most and I'm still trying to get this to sound good. Ron is not done with my whole installation yet so I know he'll tighten it up, I'll tell you what's up after I get my shit not sounding like shit

Old 12-03-2001, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I think I can help here...

Go to either Napa Autoparts or Schucks and look for

Trimbrite Door Edge Molding (for trucks). It is only like $5 and I put the door edge on both doors as well as the whole length of the trunk.

It looks great (on my Satin Silver) and what I have noticed is that it seals the gap on the trunk. So, you don't get water & crud getting in and I would bet it would stop your trunk from rattling.

Hey. It is a $5 fix that I bet you will work...
Old 12-03-2001, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
I think I can help here...

Go to either Napa Autoparts or Schucks and look for

Trimbrite Door Edge Molding (for trucks). It is only like $5 and I put the door edge on both doors as well as the whole length of the trunk.

It looks great (on my Satin Silver) and what I have noticed is that it seals the gap on the trunk. So, you don't get water & crud getting in and I would bet it would stop your trunk from rattling.

Hey. It is a $5 fix that I bet you will work...
Old 12-03-2001, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Re: Trunk lid rattle from BASS...

You need to dynomat bro, helps big time. That was the first mod I did to my ride. Make sure you get the trunk kit, that way you get all the different types for each part of the trunk.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:24 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by eclipse23
Ok, first off, don't use dynamat, that shit does NOTHING to stop the rattles.

One of the culprits in the Acura CLS trunk is the wire that does the automatic trunk opener. That wire rattles when the bass hits, go get some weathersealer and wrap that shit up. Also, our wings seem to contribute to the rattling. The trunk itself, the lid, rattles the most and I'm still trying to get this to sound good. Ron is not done with my whole installation yet so I know he'll tighten it up, I'll tell you what's up after I get my shit not sounding like shit

First off it dynomat did nothing for rattles, they'd be out of business. :P

Second, Soopa isn't cool enough to have the spoiler so it isn't that.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:37 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
What exactly will dynamat do?

I mean, I can see how it might deliever better tighter sound... but how does it help rattles?!

and JRock, don't be mad cuz you drilled your trunk to put that whack ass 1989 style spoiler on there. you'll catch up to modern times soon... CHEEZE BALL!!!
Old 12-03-2001, 02:21 PM
Drifting

get this stuff instead http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...threadid=33434

there is also a sale on it here http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...threadid=32924

that is what I am going to try after I get my sub back in.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:43 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Soopa, i got mine installed this weekend... Well kinda.

im using a bandpass box, ported through the back arm rest. I HAVE NO RATTLE...REPEAT...NO RATTLE.

As to your probelm, try the dynomat... But friend with a civic said he did it, and it didnt change anything.. So Goodluck.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
See JROCK they should be out of business you focker :P
Old 12-03-2001, 04:25 PM
Bling Bling

I just Dynomatted my trunk with the dynomat extreme. Put the extreme under the liner on the trunk lid. They also make a license kit for your plates. Try using that. If that doesnt work, your best off going in behind the rear seats (remove them) and put it on the gas tank in the back and up the back on the lid. I also found that if you stick a weatherstrip between the rear deack and the rear window in the car also helps.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:29 PM
Drifting

so did that stop your rattles...you have 2 15's?
Old 12-03-2001, 04:37 PM
Bling Bling

Obviously there will be some rattling (this same stereo in my QX4 was 151 db) but the license doesnt move and the bass still shakes the trunk but you can tell the rattling is tighter and more compact, almost like how it sounds if you push the trunk down. It costs me like $50 and it made a huge improvement. I know what you mean with the rattles at lower volumes, and I havent really noticed any of those rattles since i did it on friday.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:39 PM
Old timer

What exactly will dynamat do?

I mean, I can see how it might deliever better tighter sound... but how does it help rattles?!

and JRock, don't be mad cuz you drilled your trunk to put that whack ass 1989 style spoiler on there. you'll catch up to modern times soon... CHEEZE BALL!!!
The spoiler rocks and you know it. Cheapo no-spoiler ghetto ride with the blingbling rimz.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

what you gotta do is open the trunk, take the cover carpeting off from the trunk, then stuff it w/ foam then reseal the carpet. This is what streetz told me. to do for rattles.