Tried to buy a 2003 CL-S today (3-8-03)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 09:58 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tried to buy a 2003 CL-S today (3-8-03)

Well I was going to finally bit the bullet and go purchase my new car. When I got there I told them that I wanted a six speed CL-S, black on black. They had one but it was already sold and the sales manager told me that they would not be getting any more black CL-S's in ever again, and that all dealerships have already received there last orders of CL-S's.

He tried talking me into another color that was coming in next week but when I told him that I only would settle for black on black because thats what I wanted he said that if I gave him a $500 deposit he could call some other dealerships and try to do a trade.

I basicly thanked him for his time and left, and now I am trying to decide what other car to get:pee: ACURA
Old 03-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Not sure why the dealer would want a deposit to locate a car for you. Why not try another dealer, especially if that's the car you want?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that guy is a moron if you want to buy a car he should be able to call the other dealerships to see if he can get what you want then start talking about putting money down, thats what i did with mine, they called around found what i wanted then i did all the paper work and picked up my car the next day. go to another dealership
Old 03-08-2003, 10:37 PM

I did try another dealership earlier and they were just as rude which is why I even tried this dealership. They are the only two dealerships within an hour from here. I love ACURA's but my freinds that have bought 15K dollar FORD FOCUS's have received better treatment than I have on a car that costs twice as much.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
That sucks man. I can't believe the nerve of some of these dealers. What about trying the internet route? Send them an email and see if they can locate you one? If they again say they want a deposit to search for a car, tell em' to fuck off...

Why a deposit is necessary to search for a car is beyond me.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tried to buy a 2003 CL-S today (3-8-03)

Originally posted by spdy0001
:pee: ACURA

I can't believe they're canceling the CL... I don't know if i should cry, or kill whoever made this decision.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Scrib
That sucks man. I can't believe the nerve of some of these dealers. What about trying the internet route? Send them an email and see if they can locate you one? If they again say they want a deposit to search for a car, tell em' to fuck off...

Why a deposit is necessary to search for a car is beyond me.
The reason they want the deposit, is because that gives a garantee that you will surelly buy the car after they go through the trouble of doing the dealer exchange. I am not defending them or anything, I just happen to know this little fact.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by FPAEP
The reason they want the deposit, is because that gives a garantee that you will surelly buy the car after they go through the trouble of doing the dealer exchange. I am not defending them or anything, I just happen to know this little fact.
I can understand a deposit if they find one guaranting that I want the car, but im not going to fork out $500 for them to make a few phone calls
Old 03-09-2003, 04:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

try this website http://acura.niello.com/ that is the dealership i got my car from and have had nothing but good experiences with them and i think they do internet sales too
Old 03-09-2003, 04:38 AM
Suzuka Master

the easiest way is to call Acura Customer relations direct, they will be able to locate your color at the nearest dealer with no hassle.

$500 deposit may be used to transport your car from another dealership? Not sure if this is ethical or not.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Cruisin'

I agree. Don't lose the car you want over this. IMHO, you should negotiate the price, sign a contract and make the $500 refundable if the car is unacceptable when it arrives for any reason. That way, if it is dinged up, or has 200 miles on it, you can say sorry, give me the money back. just one man's opinion.

It is too bad, though. I wanted anthracite, and my GA dealer found one in Orlando, no deposit was necessary.

Good luck, whatever you do!
Old 03-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow dude,

That really fvcking sux. You still should be able to get any car you want. It'll still be some time before they are all sold.

I think that these guys gave you some good advise here. Go to another dealer, and if they give you sh!t, call Acura themselves...

Good luck man..
Old 03-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Advanced

When I bought my CLS 6MT they did not have my color of choice either. The dealer told me that they will call another dealer to see if they have it and let me know the next day. No deposit required to find a car's availability !!!

The next day they called me and told me they found my car in another city and a "retired cop" will drive it to Toronto. I told them that I would rather buy a Tercel than let some guy drive my new manual, $42,000 car. They got the point and ask me if I am willing to share the cost of transportation. I could have said no, but I decide to play nice and share the cost (it was only 100 bucks).

The reason they wanted your 500 deposit is for transportation. Tell them to find your car first and discuss the financial arrangements after. Transportation should be their problem, but you may be able to negotiate everything into the overall price.

Good luck. Don't give up on the CLS 6MT. It is a sweet car and it will be a "collector's item" soon.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:35 PM
CL 6 speeder

Everyone on this board needs to understand that salemen are basically liars. Sometimes its a lie of omission. They are still making CS and 6 speed CLs. Call Acuras 800 number and ASK!!!
My 6 speed was built last week 3-3 to 3-6-03. I am picking it up this week. I picked the color i wanted. You have to be firm. Three dealers offered to special order for me once they realized that was the ONLY way I would buy. I ordered in January but you can still order!
Old 03-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
it's not like you;ll lose the 500...it's called a good faith deposit...it tells them your dead serious...
Old 03-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Where is Etters (your location). I work for a Acura dealership in TX and could prolly have a sales person find a blk blk for you. Acura has seriously cut back on the production of CL 6spd's. You might be SOL.

Peace!
Old 03-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro

If they can find an anthracite 6 speed grab it and run......you will love this car and anthracite was my first choice but I liked the black/ebony too. I know color is imprtant but anthracite is agood 2nd choice if you wanted the black . Dont hold out any hope for finding a new Black/Ebony there mostly gone....Gotta love this 2003 6 speed !!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 04:05 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Originally posted by spdy0001
I can understand a deposit if they find one guaranting that I want the car, but im not going to fork out $500 for them to make a few phone calls
The $500 insures that you are serious about buying the car if they can do a trade. If they cant find the car you get your money back. And if they find car that money is either refunded to you when you purchase the car or you can just put it toward the purchase of the car. Either way, Asking for $500 is not unreasonable for a dealership. Many ask for $1000.00 on cars like the CLS. Sounded to me like they did want to sell you a car.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:14 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by ComptechType-S
Where is Etters (your location). I work for a Acura dealership in TX and could prolly have a sales person find a blk blk for you. Acura has seriously cut back on the production of CL 6spd's. You might be SOL.

Peace!
Is anyone listening? Acura of America says the production of the 6 speed has not ceased. They are still making them along with the automatics. Probably until June. The dealers are reluctant to order any CL because they dont sell. But Dealers in my area were willing to do so and one did.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:50 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Is anyone listening? Acura of America says the production of the 6 speed has not ceased. They are still making them along with the automatics. Probably until June. The dealers are reluctant to order any CL because they dont sell. But Dealers in my area were willing to do so and one did.
Technically, the dealers dont order anything. They are given a monthly allocation from honda based on how many of what car they sold the previous month. Now when a dealer gets their monthly list they may REQUEST changes in such things as color and transmissions, but thats it. If dealers arent selling many CLs then their allocation obvisouly is next to nothing. but they dealership may request one to be a 6spd.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:48 AM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by sarlacc23
Technically, the dealers dont order anything. They are given a monthly allocation from honda based on how many of what car they sold the previous month. Now when a dealer gets their monthly list they may REQUEST changes in such things as color and transmissions, but thats it. If dealers arent selling many CLs then their allocation obvisouly is next to nothing. but they dealership may request one to be a 6spd.
I am aware of that. My dealer ordered a car for his allocation with my choices.. I put a deposit down on that car.. You can phrase it any way you like but it was a special order for me.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:35 AM
2002 CLs w/Navi

I live in Florida, they had to get my car from Virginia. The only drawback was I had to wait 2 weeks. But I insisted on a Black/Black/Navi. They can get whatever you want
Old 03-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Do NOT pay the $500. My dealer found one, and did a swap, without any extra charges and without any sort of "good faith" deposit.

If you pay the $500, your position for dealing with them has decreased, as you now have $500 on the line. Try another dealer or go and talk to a different salesperson.

Unless you're actually going to "order" one, don't do the $500 deposit....and even then, only when you've worked out a deal. The dealer knows you won't want to part with that $500, so the chance of you walking on the deal are much lower. You pay that $500 and they have you by the short curlys.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:38 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Stock03CLS
Do NOT pay the $500. My dealer found one, and did a swap, without any extra charges and without any sort of "good faith" deposit.

If you pay the $500, your position for dealing with them has decreased, as you now have $500 on the line. Try another dealer or go and talk to a different salesperson.

Unless you're actually going to "order" one, don't do the $500 deposit....and even then, only when you've worked out a deal. The dealer knows you won't want to part with that $500, so the chance of you walking on the deal are much lower. You pay that $500 and they have you by the short curlys.
That is untrue, just because you put the 500 down does not mean you have signed a contract or a buyers order. It has not prevented you from doing anything such as still haggling the price. You can reclaim your 500 anytime you wish, they cannot tell you no. Just keep your receipt make sure it says its for a deposit. If by some chance you get some swarmy dealership that tries to lie and say you forfeit that 500, then tell them to go fuckthemsleves and dispute the charge on your credit card. Yes use a credit card for the deposit. if they wont take a credit a card then no, dont leave a deposit period.

All the 500 is doing is telling a dealer that you are serious about buying a car from them. It can be a pain in the ass doing a dealer trade specially if you have to start looking from other states and what not and the deaership doesnt want to waste their time if they get it and then person doesnt want it, now they are stuck with a car they didnt want to begin with. Granted it may sell right away to someone, or it might not.

If theyll do a trade for you without a deposit, hey thats great you found a good dealership, but most require a deposit. Most dealerships are all about commitment, pay attention next time you buy a car all the sales rep is trying to do is get you to commit to the car in some form or fashion. You want them to do something for you, its unreasonable for them ask for a little commitment out of you.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sarlacc23

All the 500 is doing is telling a dealer that you are serious about buying a car from them. It can be a pain in the ass doing a dealer trade specially if you have to start looking from other states and what not and the deaership doesnt want to waste their time if they get it and then person doesnt want it, now they are stuck with a car they didnt want to begin with. Granted it may sell right away to someone, or it might not.

If theyll do a trade for you without a deposit, hey thats great you found a good dealership, but most require a deposit. Most dealerships are all about commitment, pay attention next time you buy a car all the sales rep is trying to do is get you to commit to the car in some form or fashion. You want them to do something for you, its unreasonable for them ask for a little commitment out of you.
he isnt asking them to do a trade all he is asking them to do is call some other dealerships to see if they can even find a car to trade for, then if they do, it would be understandable to ask for a deposit before they go through with the trade
Old 03-10-2003, 02:04 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by JakeCL
he isnt asking them to do a trade all he is asking them to do is call some other dealerships to see if they can even find a car to trade for, then if they do, it would be understandable to ask for a deposit before they go through with the trade
ah, if that is case then i misread somewhere. Dealers dont make calls they have a networked computer system. They enter the car and the states they want to look in and boom. if it says who has it then they call to make sure it hasnt been sold yet.

If you go into a dealership and say youre just looking and if they can find you a specific car they wont care. Why waste their time with someone who might want a car with no commitment when they can find a definate buyer right there in the room? Are they assholes? most likely but at the same time selling cars has become a pain in the ass and stressful business.

If you seriously want a specific CLS6 then go ahead and put forth a depsoit have them find it for you and buy it. You havent been screwed over or dicked around in anyway because you did that.

If you just wanted them to make some phones for a "possible" sale then i dont blame them for asking for a desposit cause it weeded out a stroke (a non-buyer.)
Old 03-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Racer

that is interesting

I was at Sunnyvale Acura the other day and there were like 10 or 15 CL's. I walked their backlot when I was waiting for my car.

this is in Sunnyvale, CA.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Instructor

acceptable milage on a brand new car

What do you guys think is the maximum acceptable milage on a brand new car purchase? Assuming that a dealer has to get the car at different dealership and stuff like that. Is 200 acceptable, or absolutelly not?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:38 PM
The Third Ball

Re: acceptable milage on a brand new car

What do you guys think is the maximum acceptable milage on a brand new car purchase? Assuming that a dealer has to get the car at different dealership and stuff like that. Is 200 acceptable, or absolutelly not?
depends, if youre leasing a car and you drive 1000 miles a month, then yeah that might not be cool.

But generally 300 should be a decent cut off point.

Pending which dealership they trade with and how far away it is you should request the car be transported rather then driven. like say over 100 miles away.

If the car you look at has a decent number of miles on it then you know one of two things:

1) it was dealer traded
2) it was test driven a lot

Not that it matters since the car is under warranty anyway, but it is something to consider.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:47 PM

Well today I contacted the regional manager of that dealership and a dealership two hours away. The regional manager is a freind of my aunts and said he would work on it, but that since the CL are not being made anymore that if he found one I would pretty much have to take that one no matter what. The other dealership said it would be no problem to get the car I want and they would truck it in from another one of their dealerships. If I do go with the long distance dealership then I will have to deal with the two hour drive to get the car and all the other hassels of buying a car from a distance.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: acceptable milage on a brand new car

ROFLOL.... I told my dealer if the car had more that 10 miles on it, he could stick it up his ass..
When I got the car it had 4 miles on it....
Old 03-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

my car had 200 miles on it when i got it, then the clutch went out at 7500 miles, im not saying this is the reason why but i wonder...
Old 03-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Racer

that makes sense

That makes sense that they aren't making them anymore, because I went through this long process with the Manufacturer in Torrance when they replaced my '01 auto cls lemon. They told me they would order me a car and have it built then 3 months later they "found" me a car which was manufactured in 7/02, 4 months prior to when they said they were building me a car. I asked for a vin during the "build" and they never provided one.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Racer

break in concerns

I got my '01 at 50 and '03 at 170, but I wonder about how it is driven in those few miles, because those few miles are a big percentage of the break-in period. They say to break in the brakes for 600 miles and 170 was 1/3 of that.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:07 AM
CL 6 speeder

6 speeds are still being made. Mine was manufactured last week and it is arriving off the truck at my dealer on thursday. Dealers lie (what a shock). Hes telling you that because he wants you to buy the car he has in stock (or can get right away). Stop being a sucker.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:14 AM
CL 6 speeder

I expect my new car to have 5 miles or less when i get it. I insisted on a car off the truck because of break in issues. If your car was misused during the intial part of break in, you gas mileage will be a bit lower, your oil comsumption a bit higher etc. We all know how these cars are test driven.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:45 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
6 speeds are still being made. Mine was manufactured last week and it is arriving off the truck at my dealer on thursday. Dealers lie (what a shock). Hes telling you that because he wants you to buy the car he has in stock (or can get right away). Stop being a sucker.
The production run of 6spds was limited to begin with. That being said most of the prodcution has already been produced. With production supposedly ending in June/July That doesnt leave many left to be made.

With hundreds of dealerships around the country and in Canada who knows how many dealers are trying to snag which one out of however many are actually left.

Yes if you look I believe it is still possible to get the one want, but with time and searching.

Thats great your dealer was able to get you the one you wanted, but unless he showed the printed spreadsheet that all dealers get from HoA of their allocation ( And maybe he very well showed it to you.) Then you may very well be getting a dealer trade.

Cause if he did make a special change to his allocation he should have been gotten a new allocation sheet specifically citing the day your began production. And again maybe you saw this sheet, or maybe your taking your dealer words for it.

And yes dealers lie, its easier for them to sell what the have on teh lot then risk losing the buyer to having to wait and maybe finding it elsewhere.
As I said I think he can find teh car he wants if he searches.

But calling people suckers cause you got lucky (your special treatment as you put it.)

You havent factored everything in to the equation and there are a lot of variables.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Masshole

Those miles are from CL road tests on the factory test track.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:08 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by tmk70
Those miles are from CL road tests on the factory test track.
I hope that wink means you're joking cause that just is not true.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Mine was shipped from the factory on Friday, so yes they are still in production.

Quick Reply: Tried to buy a 2003 CL-S today (3-8-03)