Transmission problems in Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission problems in Premium?

I bought a 2001 CL Premium in September and have been enjoying it very much. No problems (except a few fit and finish problems - corrected by dealer) so far. I have read about the transmission problems occuring, and since most of the problems seem to have been in the Type S model, I am wondering if there have been any reports of the same problem in the Premium version. I don't race the car, but I don't hesitate to punch it when necessary.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:03 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, the CL-P prolly wont have as many problems as the S, mainly because it has less power. But regardless, the transmission is pretty poorly designed, meaning that even 225 hp can pose a problem
Old 11-04-2001, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are in the process of buying a new 2002 CL -not an S type. We wanted the car in silver and the dealer said that one would be arriving in a couple of days. He called me up and said that he had good news and bad news - the good news was that they got a 2002 silver CL in - the bad news was it needed a new transmission. The car had six (6) miles on it. He also told me that they were number 15 on the waiting list nationwide to get a new tranny from Acura. We are now waiting for another car to come in but are rethinking even buying an Acura at this point. It appears that the problems are not related to the S-type only and also don't appear to be related to how owners drive their cars. If transmissions are failing after six miles there must be a major problem.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:04 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

It can get pretty complicated, but the jist of it is, THE TRANNY SUX A$$. So, the higher output of th Type S is not going to help this, leading to an increased rate of tranny failures. But this tranny on the 96 hp Kia Rio would prolly suck almost as much.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:06 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Oh, and by the way KGColo, if at all possible, demand a new car. Think about it this way, unless you can't wait, a brnd new tranny will always be better than one they stick in. But, if you can't get a new ar, it won't mae that huge a deal.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
It can get pretty complicated, but the jist of it is, THE TRANNY SUX A$$. So, the higher output of th Type S is not going to help this, leading to an increased rate of tranny failures. But this tranny on the 96 hp Kia Rio would prolly suck almost as much.
Please, you tranny paranoia people are out of control. Where are your facts ? 21 people at last count indicate a replaced tranny. There are over 2500 on this board alone, not to mention 4500 on the TL board. Not to mention some could be self induced i.e. nitrous etc. Please Mister 14 posts, enlighten us.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:20 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Well, I may not have been on this forum for long, but I know about cars. So you are going to tell me that a car manufacterer that makes cars with trannys that fail after 6 MILES makes a good transmission I find that hard to beleive. I am not saying that Acura is a bad car company, I am just saying that their transmission is poorly designed. All car manufacterers have their share of problems, Acura is probably less then the norm overall, but not with transmissions. If you want to argue that, go ahead. But then make sure you look at all the posts about replaced trannys.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:22 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Where did you get that 21 number? I think that sounds a little low. But, if that is truly the case, maybe this is hype. But my transmission trouble is not hype. Uh, wait a minute, 22.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:50 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
Where did you get that 21 number? I think that sounds a little low. But, if that is truly the case, maybe this is hype. But my transmission trouble is not hype. Uh, wait a minute, 22.
tranny poll

to me, the slow turnaround for a replacement tranny is a much more ominous problem than the 22 some-odd failures we've seen (so far) on this site.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:00 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by KGColo
We are in the process of buying a new 2002 CL -not an S type. We wanted the car in silver and the dealer said that one would be arriving in a couple of days. He called me up and said that he had good news and bad news - the good news was that they got a 2002 silver CL in - the bad news was it needed a new transmission. The car had six (6) miles on it. He also told me that they were number 15 on the waiting list nationwide to get a new tranny from Acura. We are now waiting for another car to come in but are rethinking even buying an Acura at this point. It appears that the problems are not related to the S-type only and also don't appear to be related to how owners drive their cars. If transmissions are failing after six miles there must be a major problem.
6 miles and a new tranny needed? It's getting ridiculous. What's going on with Acura. I'm getting so paranoid.

BTW. I dont wanna be a wise ass but I keep wondering why people keep calling the "Type S" S-type. The last time I check and I'm pretty sure the "S-type" belongs to Jag not Acura.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:10 PM
Banned

Why are people having to wait weeks or months for a new tranny? How many CL/TL's are they selling a month? Can't a few of them be diverted from the production line to the dealer for swap outs? Yes, they'll be able to deliver a few less cars per month, but I'd be SERIOUSLY PISSED if I had to wait that long for a warranty repair. Does anyone care about keeping customers coming back?