trans ate itself in 30000 kilometers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 697 Likes on 539 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
kkk so it's not worth buying for the price...

my belief is they give us garbage materials for the clutches and a shitty flowing design which just heats everything up more than the parts can handle..

so if i swap the parts that fail with high heat compatible ones then in theory it'll work.

I'd rather have the cl trans with the "bullet proof rebuildkit" than the tl- trans which is beter but not great. I'm looking for great. And I'm willing to roll the dice, if no one has experience with these.
go with 07 TL tranny. lack of lubrication in critical parts causes excessive wear/heat for clutches. Good quality clutches might last longer, but eventually they will also fail. How long do you want your transmission to last? I think good rebuilds for our cars mostly last 60-70K miles.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
kkk so it's not worth buying for the price...

my belief is they give us garbage materials for the clutches and a shitty flowing design which just heats everything up more than the parts can handle..

so if i swap the parts that fail with high heat compatible ones then in theory it'll work.

I'd rather have the cl trans with the "bullet proof rebuildkit" than the tl- trans which is beter but not great. I'm looking for great. And I'm willing to roll the dice, if no one has experience with these.
Originally Posted by p.diddy
knock yourself out i give up.

Dude have you actually absorbed any of the information these guys have been telling you? You CANNOT "bullet proof" your tranny, I don't need to explain why because its already been said at least 3 times in this thread. Your best solution is to get an 04-06 TL tranny and get that built. If your mechanic can't do it, fuck him. Go find someone who is determined enough to earn your business and they will do the job.

Don't rebuild your current tranny waste of time and money.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, if you are in a position to get rid of theat CLS tranny and get the swap done then you should do it. Not trying to tell you what to do, its just my opinion.

The car is 10 years old and has had a known problem for all 10 of thoes years. If a kit could have been made to fix the problem I think it would have been a well known and popular fix by now. Not to mention I think Acura would have done it themselves with their remanufactured trannies before they replaced them under warranty, if it was that easy.

Think about it man! How much more is the peace of mind worth to you?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

By the sounds of what its going to cost you to have it rebuilt the only cost maybe give or take a little (relatively) is going to be finding someone new to do the work.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
so it is tru no one has experience with the level ten clutches.

well i'm gonna give it one more try. and if it fails in 2 years.

then i'm 6speed swappin.

don't think I don't take all of your advice seriously. I surely do. But there is many opinions on these failing transmissions and this site, level ten, and my mechanic all have a lil something different to say so I'm stuck in the middle.

I don't like spaghetting my car like i did the last. and the trans swap is basically doing that.

This will run me 1800 all said and done and this time with better parts. and i got the cooler on in the beginning this time instead of at 25000kms 5K before it crapped out.

so i think there is hope.

I have had bad luck with every car i ever had so maybe luck may be on myside this time.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

so you guys don't know a FEW things about the cl transmission eh.

john at level ten told me precisely why the trans fails... not enough line pressure for the clutches.

and they modify the casing there so the pressure is way higher, upgraded tq converter and clutches and then the problem is gone PERIOD. so yes its 4g but that's gonna last forever end ever. and the car will be faster with the tq converter too.

ROAD TRIP!!

so car is going in garage then I am driving to new jersey when i got the funds.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
For the last time that tranny cooler will not make a difference. I'll see you posting a new thread in a few months about your tranny.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I think good rebuilds for our cars mostly last 60-70K miles.
russiandude.... Acura replaced my tranny @ around 65Ks under its warranty and Im guessing it was a factory re-manufactured...

Im @ 110K now....

Do I need to be prepared for a surprise?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

lol if my car can make it to jersey the way it is then that's all the luck i need.

level ten won't even sell the blueprints to how to mod the casing WHY cause it works. and that is why NO ONE knows how to do it or that it even exists.

everything can be fixed... many of you are forgetting that.

yall are haters.. straight up
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol if my car can make it to jersey the way it is then that's all the luck i need.

level ten won't even sell the blueprints to how to mod the casing WHY cause it works. and that is why NO ONE knows how to do it or that it even exists.

I'm an engineer with over 20 years of mechanical design experience. I fail to see how a company outside of Acura can find a fix that the engineers at Acura could not find themselves. I wish you the best of luck. I got 130,000 miles out of my second tranny and considered myself lucky.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Since you're so adamant on your position, go ahead and spend ur money and see what happens. I'm curious to see what becomes of this "Bulletproof" remedy for your tranny woes.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is that what level ten told you? HA hahah, you are gulable. Don't forget they are a company in business to MAKE MONEY. They are not doing you any favors. They will tell you what you wanna hear!
They are trying to make money, thats what they do!

Oh and they don't sell their blueprint because no dumbass is stupid enough to buy it!

So you have a ten year old car and you are the first to get this miricle fix? Right!

Yup, we are all just jelous haters cause you are going to get a bulletproof tranny. OK!

But you go girlfriend!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
so you guys don't know a FEW things about the cl transmission eh.

john at level ten told me precisely why the trans fails... not enough line pressure for the clutches.

and they modify the casing there so the pressure is way higher, upgraded tq converter and clutches and then the problem is gone PERIOD. so yes its 4g but that's gonna last forever end ever. and the car will be faster with the tq converter too.
Originally Posted by whiteknight
I'm an engineer with over 20 years of mechanical design experience. I fail to see how a company outside of Acura can find a fix that the engineers at Acura could not find themselves. I wish you the best of luck. I got 130,000 miles out of my second tranny and considered myself lucky.
go with 07 TL tranny. lack of lubrication in critical parts causes excessive wear/heat for clutches. Good quality clutches might last longer, but eventually they will also fail. How long do you want your transmission to last? I think good rebuilds for our cars mostly last 60-70K miles.
ok i read your thread p.diddy and i need to swap a bunch of shit and tap holes..

my guy doesn't know where those are or how to do it.

so i think I am stuck with rebuilding.... using the new caseing you guys mentioned. along with new clutches and seals from level ten.

Originally Posted by p.diddy
trust me over the years of being on az i dont know how manys times ive seen someone come on here claiming they knew how to fix the cl tranny problem. the only solution is to get a tranny from a different model car.

Apparently, you don't like advice anyway, so idk why you're even asking people on the forum lol. Just make a decision and pull the trigger, and see where you end up at this point.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,230 Likes on 4,857 Posts
Great, so another year of you touting someones awesome parts, and your mechanics awesome service, and how your tranny will never break and has stood up to you beating on it day in and day out. Then around the 13th month you have a "minor problem" that can be fixed easily. Two days later you find out the transmission is blown, AGAIN.

Why do you ask for our help, then completely disregard it and make your own ill-advised decision? This is the main reason you get zero sympathy from most of us.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
According to Acura...

What is the reason for this notice? Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2001-03 3.2CLs, 2000-03 3.2TLs, and 2004 TLs.
Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup in the transmission second gear set and may lead to gear tooth chipping. In very rare cases, gear breakage can occur. Gear failure could result in transmission lock-up, and a crash could occur without warning.
Personally if I was in your shoes I'd get the trans swap. I really don't have a lot of options in Oregon as far as available transmissions...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

No see Acura is wrong about the failure, Jhon at stage ten has proved that it is line pressure and has fixed the problem and has it blueprinted!

Acura does not know shit. But Jhon knows everything as he slings his own "Bulletproof Kit".

ClSprogression1 tell me this, if his kit is so superior and "Bullet Proof" whats the warranty on the parts, and will they repay you for labor if it fails? I bet they will say no effin way, and they will be singing a different tune then after they have already got your money!

You should try "snake oil" in the tranns also instead of that crappy atf Z1 fluid!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HouseApe
russiandude.... Acura replaced my tranny @ around 65Ks under its warranty and Im guessing it was a factory re-manufactured...

Im @ 110K now....

Do I need to be prepared for a surprise?
In 2005 last modifications were made to cases and internal parts, therefore it is believed that post 2005 replacements are more reliable, but still far bellow of what you would expect from transmission. If your trany was replaced after 2005, and you do regular tranny oil changes, there is a good chance it will last 60-70K miles, maybe even more, its a gamble. No official statistics exist, but what I am saying if it fails you should not be surprised.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

guys, level10 sucks, do a search couple of people went level10 route and their tranny failed and they did not honor warranty.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

In 2005 last modifications were made to cases and internal parts, therefore it is believed that post 2005 replacements are more reliable, but still far bellow of what you would expect from transmission. If your trany was replaced after 2005, and you do regular tranny oil changes, there is a good chance it will last 60-70K miles, maybe even more, its a gamble. No official statistics exist, but what I am saying if it fails you should not be surprised.
I had my 1st tranny replaced at around 60K, it had the jet kit installed. The replacment was in 2007 and I barley got 30K out of it before it went bad again. So I think its justa crap shoot. You never know when it will go out.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
I had my 1st tranny replaced at around 60K, it had the jet kit installed. The replacment was in 2007 and I barley got 30K out of it before it went bad again. So I think its justa crap shoot. You never know when it will go out.
sure, but I don't think that majority of replacement transmissions fail within 30K miles. I bet that 80-90% of them will make it to 60-70K miles. You need to remember that 3% of rebuilds (not just Honda) are bad due to human error. Even best re-builder claims that their defect is 2-3% due to human error.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont care anymore, I am buying a new car when this one fails and I am out of warranty.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

k ...fuck, u are right. 5k is retarded.

I'm just going to rebuild her again. but with the level 10 rebuild kit.

if i see any minor symptoms of trans messing up i'm selling it.

but i don't like many cars...

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 10-14-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Y are you guys wasting your breath? This Kid clearly has his mind made up. Level 10 saw this guy coming and found a winner. You guys are haters. Level 10 has this guys best interest and not you guys on this forum. Hey CL-S progression 01 when you get this thing rebuilt, keep us posted. You may be on to something. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

i wish i was patient and $ enough to get the full level ten rebuild but like you guys said (made a great point) anyone is capable of screwing up. that being said I don't have the luxury of driving back to the US. to deal with my car if a problem were to arise. and a did read some customer horror stories of people being treated like garbage after they drop their trans off.

not to say the product is bad but I hate bad customer service. and the guy who rebuild mine b4 has been with me the whole way no matter what I decide to do.

5k for full level 10 vs 1800 for full rebuild and re and re with level ten clutches.

I just want the car BACK!! almost 4 months i havn't had my car this year
Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Lol, this thread is ridiculous.. After everything I went through and the amount of money I threw at my car it made me cringe knowing I wasted so much on such an old car.

And everyone is correct when they talk about heat but you realize their are different kinds of heat.

The heat that the CL tranny produces is from direct friction on the parts with the lack of lubrication. So yes the kevlar one might be able to last slightly longer with the lack transmission fluid but in the long run the friction between the two parts is still going to cause a failure.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

bought car for 12500 with 81600kms, spent 2g at acura making everything under the sun perfect. plus 3g in mods, 1500 on rims/tires, plus first rebuild 1980. now second rebuild 1800. that's unconditional love

i agree with you pits... but you don't realize how much i love this car... none of you do to be honest.

The damage was done to the previous rebuild early.. from drag racing, break standing, and not having a cooler. the wonky 1st to 2nd change started 100kms after the drag strip.. soo no more dragging this thing.

I got stead 140-160 with the cooler on. with it off it got to 240 and thats only 14 degrees outside, that is when it began slipping to the point i thought something might happen. so image how hot it was in the trans when it was 35 out and i was racing the damn thing.. no wonder it only lasted 30K.

I figure I should get double out of this rebuild.. then once I am done woodworking/furniture school I'll have the coin to 6speed it.

TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 10-15-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

We all must obviously love this car, otherwise I don't think there would be this many people telling you to do it a proven way that works. Why do you want it to last you just 60k? Why not want something that has the possibility of lasting the life of the car? Then when you have the money to do a 6speed swap your tranny actually holds some value to people and can help you pay for the swap!!

Having a tranny that will be worth something down the road vs one that won't, if it hasn't failed as well.... I guess you decide.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rapture
Well wouldn't swapping out the fluid alleviate that? I doubt the components would go bad from just sitting there...would they?

Nobody can answer this? Or does it have to do with parts rusting over?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,230 Likes on 4,857 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
Nobody can answer this? Or does it have to do with parts rusting over?
Seals can dry up, clutches can seize; it takes time though, but still.

Same reason you dont want an engine thats been sitting for a long time.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Well... how long is too long, then? My trans is still in good shape (*knock on wood*) but I've been seeing the same Odyssey/TL transmissions on car-part for awhile now...

Kinda hard to grab a trans from a car that's freshly wrecked. Unless.....
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I imagine a very long time. Its not like the tranny has been sitting in a junk yard for 15 years. I've seen many guys go pull a th350, th400 and 700r4 out of cars that have been dead for 15 years and just change the fluid and they have ran great for a very long time with some pretty high HP.

I don't think the Odyssey/TL transmissions have been around long enough to worry about it, unless there is a ton of miles on it.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
so wait 5k and you are still auto???

WTF????

buy 6 spd swap for that shit
Old 10-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Safety Car

Honestly, swapping for an Odyssey or a TL trans seems like much LESS of a hassle than what you're looking to do. Not to mention it'll cost less.

Not to mention the Odyssey and TL swaps have been tried and true.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

getting her done for 1800 and if she craps out again. then my guy will hook me up with a 6er. but don't have the money for that.

the who's doing my trans has done plenty of odysseys and tl's

only the 07 tl he hasn't done the trans on he said. which is 50/50.

I attribute most of the damage to the trans due to me and my drag racing and ripping it in the heat without a cooler.

I know this one will last 2 maybe 3times longer.

by then i'll have enough coin to go any direction i damn well please.

like i said the CL trans heats up from low 200s on a cold day to almost 300degress on hot days.

whoever says that doesn't matter is an idiot.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

lol you and that tranny cooler. rebuild that tranny ill see you in a couple of months.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:19 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

years.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

whats funny is i got an 02 MDX with 189000kms on it and for the last 40000 we've been towing hot tubs with it. and it's still going on original trans...

that makes no sense.

luck of the draw i guess
Old 10-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Damn man you are even more stubborn than me. Your mechanic must love that you get work done knowing you will have to come back and back again to get it redone.

I would have just ditched the car. I am still debating whether to keep my cl or not.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

years.
That's what you said about that last awesome rebuild he did for you lol.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

even if the clutches got zero oil lubricating them the trans cooler would cool the oil running through the trans which will suck away some of the friction heat that builds up in the physical transmission itself.

so either way it's lowering temps.

Quick Reply: trans ate itself in 30000 kilometers