tranny fluid overfill

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny fluid overfill

Two weeks ago changed the external tranny filter and mechanic replaced fluid (pretty sure he used Honda ATF), car was driving fine until this morning, shifting really hard, at 4K RPM. On the hway it wouldn't shift down from 5th to 4th if i went WOT Even 1st gear shifts up at 4000 RPMs (normally shifts from 1st to 2nd almost immediatelly). Checked fluid level (with hot engine & tranny) and level is like 2 inches over the top of the second dot in the check level thing!!! OVERFILL!!!! I know this is awfull for tranny, it raises pressures a lot. Have not gotten in touch with mechanic yet but want to have some advise first.
1. What could have been damaged in the tranny due to the overfill?
2. Could the issue be non-related to the overfill? maybe this is a condition of a sensor that went bad or something?

P.D.: Dont know if i have a check light on, the CEL bulb inside dashboard is blown. VSA light not comming on by itself and gears are not slipping.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Forgot to ask if it is common for the TPS (throttle position sensor) to go bad all of a sudden and would it cause this issue...
Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Instructor

seems that I am the only one replying to my thread
Update: Checked the fluid level again after vehicle had cooled down and it seems level is normal... I guess that after an hour ride thru hway and then traffic made the level stick appear as if it was overfilled... that is what i am thinking. Couldn't go for a spin and test car but drove a few yards and shifted fine from 1st to 2nd... hope issue is gone on my way home. I´m thinking it might be faulty TPS.... don't have CEL worlking. Any opinions out there??? Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PANAMARED
Two weeks ago changed the external tranny filter and mechanic replaced fluid (pretty sure he used Honda ATF), car was driving fine until this morning, shifting really hard, at 4K RPM. On the hway it wouldn't shift down from 5th to 4th if i went WOT Even 1st gear shifts up at 4000 RPMs (normally shifts from 1st to 2nd almost immediatelly). Checked fluid level (with hot engine & tranny) and level is like 2 inches over the top of the second dot in the check level thing!!! OVERFILL!!!! I know this is awfull for tranny, it raises pressures a lot. Have not gotten in touch with mechanic yet but want to have some advise first.
1. What could have been damaged in the tranny due to the overfill?
2. Could the issue be non-related to the overfill? maybe this is a condition of a sensor that went bad or something?

P.D.: Dont know if i have a check light on, the CEL bulb inside dashboard is blown. VSA light not comming on by itself and gears are not slipping.

Thanks in advance for the help.
As with the engine or tranny an overfill can result in blown seals. If you did overfill it you might start noticing leaks where there were non before.

Hope thats not the case!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Thanks SeaKnight. As mentioned, I think tranny was not overfilled, dip stick covered wascovered (like 3 inches total) with fluid every time I wiped it and re inserted... I guess because it was checked just after long heavy drive. Cant change title of thread now. I am leaning towards the TPS but will have to run scan in order to b sure. Fluid is perfect (no signs of wear)... what else could cause the gears to shift so hard?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Last evening the tranny issue came back in heavy traffic, VSA light came on (almost crap my pants thinking tranny is gone). I stop/re-start engine and it disappeared. Got home, unplugged TPS, caressed it (can't take it out yet, have to dremmel slot on those blind bolts)... put my hand over it and passed on some good energy to it, re-plugged. Drove this morning with no issues. Will order new TPS anyway. Had forgotten there was someone else here with same issue (I even posted on his thread... how ironic). As allways, love my CL-S and love AZine!! Best wishes for all in here!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PANAMARED
Last evening the tranny issue came back in heavy traffic, VSA light came on (almost crap my pants thinking tranny is gone). I stop/re-start engine and it disappeared. Got home, unplugged TPS, caressed it (can't take it out yet, have to dremmel slot on those blind bolts)... put my hand over it and passed on some good energy to it, re-plugged. Drove this morning with no issues. Will order new TPS anyway. Had forgotten there was someone else here with same issue (I even posted on his thread... how ironic). As allways, love my CL-S and love AZine!! Best wishes for all in here!!
caressed it? ....