Tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny ?

I am interested in buyin a CLS very soon and i was woundering if there was a way to check if the car has had it tranny rebuilt or been replaced... like has it been one of those "unlucky" cars that had the tranny go bad...
Old 03-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Anyone??
Old 03-27-2004, 02:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dark8
Anyone??
I looked earlier and tried searching to get you some info.

I've seen some folks in the transmission forum find out information on their used cars. I'm just not 100% sure how that info was obtained.

I have some partial suggestions, and maybe this will bring forth some more information.

1. CARFAX would at least provide a lemon search for you. It would also provide a list of owners, bad car accidents, etc.

2. If you had a single owner, you could refuse to buy a vehicle sold "AS IS." If you wrote up a small mini-contract to a dealer or seller that stipulated that your purchase was contingent on the car having the original transmission and the current transmission had only "normal" service performed on it (ATF change and/or flush, etc).

I don't know how accommodating Acura used car dealers would be, but I would think they would have to disclose information if you asked for specifics (I'm not sure, and someone will probably comment on this.)

I also wonder why Acura Care would not be willing to supply tranny rebuild information IF the seller -- or current title owner -- requested that you be provided tranny rebuild (no rebuild information).

That's all I know...

Maybe this will help get things going...
Old 03-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
hmm

I would ask the person who you are buying from where they bought the car. Chances are thats where the tranny was replaced. I am curious though...knowing that the tranny is a problem in the CLS wouldnt you prefer one that was replaced being there is a good chance the original may go anyway?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:41 AM
go like hell

there's a couple ways I can think of

#1. Acura/Honda dealers keep a record of all matience (even warrenty work) completed on each car(they keep it by VIN number) run down to your local Acura dealer. ask the parts manager to plug this this VIN into the computer to see what warrenty has been completed(because if it's a transmission overhaul the owner (if it had less than 100 k on it) had it done at a Acura dealer.
#2. If your really have good eyes and a good amount of time. look at the VIN number stamped on the transmission.
my dad(which has been with Honda for 22 years) at the Anna Engine Plant(yes where all the V-TEC magic happens ) . At Anna they bolt the transmission to the motor. when the orginal buyer takes deliver of his or her new CL(or any new Honda or Acura) the transmission VIN matches the motor VIN.
when they do a repair on CLs,TLs and other V-6 transmissions that have been failing. they put in a "replacement transmission" so therefore the transmission VIN won't match the motor VIN.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Re: hmm

Originally posted by SilverJ
I would ask the person who you are buying from where they bought the car. Chances are thats where the tranny was replaced. I am curious though...knowing that the tranny is a problem in the CLS wouldnt you prefer one that was replaced being there is a good chance the original may go anyway?
I would perfer one that has not been replaced only because the ones that have been replaced usually need multiple replacements... from what i have read..

I am interested in this CLS at this dealership and it has just about 42kmiles its certified and they are askin $18,495
here is a link if u wanna see it
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=14

If i were to buy this car then i would like to know ahead of time if it had a replaced tranny or not... If so then i dont think i would buy it because i dont want to keep replacing it... I would like to get one that hasnt had any problems and its most likely it wont have problems cause this one has 42kmiles so it prob. has a lesser of a chance to have a 'bad'
Old 03-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by Dark8
I would perfer one that has not been replaced only because the ones that have been replaced usually need multiple replacements... from what i have read..

I am interested in this CLS at this dealership and it has just about 42kmiles its certified and they are askin $18,495
here is a link if u wanna see it
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=14

If i were to buy this car then i would like to know ahead of time if it had a replaced tranny or not... If so then i dont think i would buy it because i dont want to keep replacing it... I would like to get one that hasnt had any problems and its most likely it wont have problems cause this one has 42kmiles so it prob. has a lesser of a chance to have a 'bad'
Can you leave them a message?
Could it hurt to ask if the car has the original tranny?

The tranny VIN == car VIN would seem to be a great test to make sure you're getting the original one.

BTW, I do know a couple of people that did get "good" replacement trannies (well, so far). However, they got replaced around a year ago.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Instructor

yeah i am just worried i will get one of the bad ones....

thanks for the help