Tragedy in Nassau County

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 09:52 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tragedy in Nassau County

2 days ago, a VERY serious car accident took place...a Corolla and an Integra Type R were involved...4 people killed (all in the Type R)...3 others injured...this is about 10/15 minutes from my house, and i always used to drive through here when i was a high school student...these people were 16 and 17 years old racing down this road at over 70MPH...the Integra's roof was ripped off totally, and the rest of the body was all mangled...only recognizable things were the front bumber and wheels...the link to the story is below

i bring this topic up b/c we all know that in a flick of a finger, your whole life can change, or end, and i am of the opinion that u can never b too careful when driving on certain roads...teenagers in general just don't have enough experience with cars/trucks to b racing at ridiculous speeds...period...i've been driving for 8 years now, and i still get nervous driving fast, which is y if i'm gonna do it, noone will b around...i don't do it at lunchtime in busy streets...look, bottom line is life is too short...y b in such a rush to die?? u have your whole life ahead of u...if u wanna drive fast, fine...noone's really gonna stop ya...but at least have enough common sense to do it where the risk to other people is at a minimum...and don't think that u're not jeopardizing other people's lives just b/c u THINK u know how to drive fast...please b careful.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...ws%2Dheadlines
Old 10-31-2001, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Damn, that sucks... gives me chills reading it. I myself never speed when there's a lot of traffic either. If I'm going to drive fast, I'm going to be the only one at risk. The days of weaving in and out are pretty much over. You're right though, in one second your life can be over....taken by a stupid decision to "catch up" to a car.....
Old 10-31-2001, 11:27 AM
Racer

I lost 4 folks in hiiizigh school, they burned to death in a van that had paint thinner and stuff packed in the back. Friggin hit a tree late one night on the way home from a party.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:13 PM
Instructor

I think u mean Celica, not corolla
Old 10-31-2001, 01:52 PM
do it yourself, !

One of those kids that died is an only child. I know his father. My friend, crystal knew them and was about to be in one of those cars. This sucks.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:06 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Another hard lesson as to why inexperienced drivers should not be given high-performance cars.

Bet their parents regret buying it for them now.

Sorry if I sound callous but that's the harsh reality. Kids at that school with cars are very rich, very cocky, very stupid, and as in this case have cars that perform way beyond their level of skill. I know a girl from that school who had a car, got pulled over once and than later that same night got arrested for DUI. A few months later, she ran into my car while she was drunk and almost killed me! So you can understand how little sympathy I have for kids who play around with their life. Driving is a privelige, not a right, and it should be treated with respect. If I have passengers in the car I never drive anywhere near reckless. i figure if i mess up, at least only I will die. This kid just deprived his parents of their own two children, and the children of two other parents.

The driver of the Toyota did not even have a real license. Why would you fool around with someone like that? Knowing full well that he is VERY inexperienced...shame, such a waste of life.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:32 AM
Masshole

I lost 3 of my classmates in an accident on a road very similar to that one, but here in MA. My sister's grade school boyfriend was driving his '66 Chevelle SS 110 mph around a corner in a 35 mph zone. He hit a tree that was 2 feet wide and CRACKED it in half. Everyone in the car died instantly...one was decapitated.

Sometimes youthful confidence can be even deadlier than alcohol when you mix in a speedy car.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:41 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tmk70
I lost 3 of my classmates in an accident on a road very similar to that one, but here in MA. My sister's grade school boyfriend was driving his '66 Chevelle SS 110 mph around a corner in a 35 mph zone. He hit a tree that was 2 feet wide and CRACKED it in half. Everyone in the car died instantly...one was decapitated.

Sometimes youthful confidence can be even deadlier than alcohol when you mix in a speedy car.

Okay, see THAT is just fucking STUPID. Classic muscle cars are good in a straight line but I would think anyone who's ever owned one knows better than to try to take turns at high speed.

Oh, and my condolences to those who knew the 4 who died.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:45 AM
Masshole

I agree with you on the less-than-stellar handling of muscle cars...but 17 year olds don't always think...which was my point.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:49 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tmk70
I agree with you on the less-than-stellar handling of muscle cars...but 17 year olds don't always think...which was my point.
And we wonder why there are old balding white men who own insurance companies on TV saying things like "my insurance company will refuse to cover them in these cars because kids shouldn't be driving these fast cars, they always get in accidents in them." (And they show a flatbed rolling by with a mangled Z28 on it.) :P

It makes more sense to me now, even though I still disagree with their generalization: I drove a '97 Z28 (it was my dad's) to school half the time when I was in high school (I grad'd in '98). Never had a problem or accident (thank God), but the point is not EVERY teenager is careless.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:52 AM
Masshole

Of course not every 17 year old is careless, but statistics don't lie. I always thought of myself as a "safe" driver in high school, but I sure did get a lot of tickets!!! I don't mean to generalize, but the fact is that most of the high speed/racing related accidents are caused by drivers under 19 years old, there's no getting around that.