Trade in value = ouch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade in value = ouch

guys, anyone considering trading in a CL-S right now, GOOD LORD, what an anal rape you will take.....im getting rid of my 2002 CL-S with 11,900 miles on it and NO dealership offered me more than 20,500 for it. apparently word is getting around fast that the CL-S has tranny problems and is getting discontinued...its a very bad market for them....i never imagined my trade in would be so low on such a new car. fucking a, im a bit salty about losing so much money but i feel it was the right choice to make, i need to start making some better financial desicions if i ever want to have a house in the next few years.

every dealer ive been to in the last few days LOVES my car and really wants it but cant afford to offer more than 20,500 due to MAJOR incentives going on right now on the CL and CL-S and like i said..the tranny word is going around...i sat there at dealers while they brought in wholesalers on the spot to come drive it and check it out, i was also accused of having the trunk repainted....idiots thought their was dirt in the paint and didnt realize the color was nighthawk black PEARL....

im taking off the springs, headers and basslink and they are for sale in the black market along with the OEM bra and the all season floor mats.

be aware guys, our trade in value is slipping by the day, if you want out of the CL-S do it now or it will only get worse...the only reason some of you guys are getting decent trade in values is because you are getting another BRAND new car for MORE money and the dealers can afford to show you a bit more cash for your trade in.....however, in my case, i am getting a vehicle priced about 18 grand so they dont have room to fudge the numbers and show alot for a trade in....they said its only once in a blue moon where someone trades in a practically new car for something cheaper...but oh well, gotta do it.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Not surprised...

The trade-in market for any used car is pretty shitty these days. During the BIG car boom of '01-'02 when everybody was getting a new car, trade ins were at an all-time high. The market is saturated with the barely used cars. And with incentives for new cars still good, I'm not surprised they lowballed you like that.

It's either a new car, or a nice $5,000.00 used car. Nobody wants a $20K-$25K used car. You can get a new one for that price.

What have you decided on getting???
Old 02-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Pro

How does taking a $8-$10000 hit on a practically new car help your financial condition. Are you just trying to get lower payments?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by louisn
How does taking a $8-$10000 hit on a practically new car help your financial condition. Are you just trying to get lower payments?

on the vehicle im purchasing, my payments are $150 less per month....and my insurance is about $50 less per month...so i will have an extra $200 bucks a month in my pocket from the start here. yeah, the hit isnt quite as bad as you are saying...the cost of owning the CL-S for one year for me is about 8,000 not counting the mods...but those are all for sale so hopefully i can get something back for them.

i had to really bite my lip on this BELEIVE ME!!! but its for the best....even though im losing some cash, my debt level is going down by about $5,000 bucks in an instant, and like i said, ill be saving at least $200 bucks a month of cold hard cash...
Old 02-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Got BOOST????

$20,500 That's the price for a 2002? I got the same price for a 2001 at kbb.com. Private party gives a price of $22,780.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:07 AM
Banned

Re: Trade in value = ouch

All I can say is I think I was lucky getting 24k even for my trade on the A4.

Basically I owed 28k, I got the new car for 31k, I put down 2k, so total financed was 34k out the door.

My CL-S was in mint shape too, with 14,200 miles when I got to the dealer.

Originally posted by jimcol711
guys, anyone considering trading in a CL-S right now, GOOD LORD, what an anal rape you will take.....im getting rid of my 2002 CL-S with 11,900 miles on it and NO dealership offered me more than 20,500 for it. apparently word is getting around fast that the CL-S has tranny problems and is getting discontinued...its a very bad market for them....i never imagined my trade in would be so low on such a new car. fucking a, im a bit salty about losing so much money but i feel it was the right choice to make, i need to start making some better financial desicions if i ever want to have a house in the next few years.

every dealer ive been to in the last few days LOVES my car and really wants it but cant afford to offer more than 20,500 due to MAJOR incentives going on right now on the CL and CL-S and like i said..the tranny word is going around...i sat there at dealers while they brought in wholesalers on the spot to come drive it and check it out, i was also accused of having the trunk repainted....idiots thought their was dirt in the paint and didnt realize the color was nighthawk black PEARL....

im taking off the springs, headers and basslink and they are for sale in the black market along with the OEM bra and the all season floor mats.

be aware guys, our trade in value is slipping by the day, if you want out of the CL-S do it now or it will only get worse...the only reason some of you guys are getting decent trade in values is because you are getting another BRAND new car for MORE money and the dealers can afford to show you a bit more cash for your trade in.....however, in my case, i am getting a vehicle priced about 18 grand so they dont have room to fudge the numbers and show alot for a trade in....they said its only once in a blue moon where someone trades in a practically new car for something cheaper...but oh well, gotta do it.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Banned

Yeah same here. I am saving 100 bucks a month on the new Audi.

on the vehicle im purchasing, my payments are $150 less per month....and my insurance is about $50 less per month...so i will have an extra $200 bucks a month in my pocket from the start here. yeah, the hit isnt quite as bad as you are saying...the cost of owning the CL-S for one year for me is about 8,000 not counting the mods...but those are all for sale so hopefully i can get something back for them.

i had to really bite my lip on this BELEIVE ME!!! but its for the best....even though im losing some cash, my debt level is going down by about $5,000 bucks in an instant, and like i said, ill be saving at least $200 bucks a month of cold hard cash...
Old 02-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Got BOOST????

i just looked in my local newsday. Some acura Dealer wants 24,000 for an acura CL, with 30,000 miles, and a 2001! It doesn't say if it's a type S.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

Jim,

I understand the value of the CL’s is falling faster then other cars, but not much considering your car is only one year old.
Your timing couldn’t possibly be any worse for what you’re doing.
You could probably hold the car for another year and still get 20 for it.
The FIRST year is always the worst.

I went to look at a Toyota RAV-4 the other day for the wife.
2003’s are selling for 2-3 thousand off retail.
They had a 2002 on the lot for 21,000 dollars that was just purchased SIX MONTHS ago for 26 thousand and change.
The guy told me they could probably sell it for as low as 20 because it was traded for 18,500.
That’s nearly 8 grand depreciation in six months.

If you sell ANY car in the first year or two you better take some Vaseline with you.

Shawn S
Old 02-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

2 weeks ago, I made an agreement to trade in my 01 CLS with 28k miles for 20k. It's a pretty big hit, but I'll still be saving $200 a month by leasing a 350z. The market is really bad right now, and our car is not holding up very well, but most cars today are in the same situation. I got values between 16k to 20k for my car. The only advise is to shop around. I visited 5 Nissan dealers to get my best price
Old 02-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shawn S
Jim,

I understand the value of the CL’s is falling faster then other cars, but not much considering your car is only one year old.
Your timing couldn’t possibly be any worse for what you’re doing.
You could probably hold the car for another year and still get 20 for it.
The FIRST year is always the worst.

I went to look at a Toyota RAV-4 the other day for the wife.
2003’s are selling for 2-3 thousand off retail.
They had a 2002 on the lot for 21,000 dollars that was just purchased SIX MONTHS ago for 26 thousand and change.
The guy told me they could probably sell it for as low as 20 because it was traded for 18,500.
That’s nearly 8 grand depreciation in six months.

If you sell ANY car in the first year or two you better take some Vaseline with you.

Shawn S

You are TOTALLY correct.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Advanced

i was in the same position. i had my Passat for almost two years and the resale on it was so-so. but when i traded in for my Accord, with nothing down, my payments dropped by $200 / month. it was worth it to take the hit when i did. could i have gotten a better trade in or sold it outright? maybe. if i waited longer would the resale have been worse? i'm thinking deifinitely (especially with the bad publicity on the coil pack failures. as a matter of fact, the car is still on the lot and i traded in Oct. they've now marked it down for less than what they gave me!). but i felt, too, the immediate payback was the extra $200 in my pocket every month. and having a car that worked right again
Old 02-18-2003, 09:52 AM
whoXwanXsum

what car are you buying jim? i'm thinking of getting rid of my cls also just for lower car payments.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dbox
what car are you buying jim? i'm thinking of getting rid of my cls also just for lower car payments.

Im making a HUUUUGE jump here...so something i always wanted and now feel i might as well induldge in....because this vehicle im getting also saves me alot on my insurance as i already stated.

im getting a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport

its black with black tinted windows, bedliner, chrome rims, 10,000 lbs trailer hitch package, cd player, everything....its a BIIG monster compared to the CL-S...its got the 5.2 liter V8...im already researching mods for it....theres TONS of parts available and all are VERY cheap when compared to CL-S mods. ill take pics and try to post them later this week, i take delivery on Thursday.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:11 AM
///M POWER

congrats on the new car
Old 02-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
damn

Have u seen the current conditions for ALL the used cars??? Its not just the Cl thats taking a hit, almost all used cars are including bmws and benzes. Also, ur doing the foolish thing of trading in a one year old model, of course u can expect the largest hit then. Like Shawn said, you should wait another year to take less of a hit.

Anyways, good luck w/ur car and don't let the door hit you on the way out :P
Old 02-18-2003, 10:19 AM
whoXwanXsum

good luck with the truck! what did you get the dodge for? miles?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by unsure
Also, ur doing the foolish thing of trading in a one year old model, of course u can expect the largest hit then. Like Shawn said, you should wait another year to take less of a hit.

His car will never be worth more than in it is right now. A year from now, it will be worth even less. Its just that the hit is spread out over a larger time period so it doesn't hurt as bad. If you really want out now, try holding on till spring. I think that's a better time to sell. (Better weather, graduation, etc.)

$20K is what dealers were offering me last spring for my CL-S with navi and $35k miles. I sold it privately for $22k.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

trade-in is terrible on almost any car, I would probably sell the CL myself.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dbox
good luck with the truck! what did you get the dodge for? miles?

i got the dodge cause i always loved that body style (i really hate the newest body style..too TONKA-ish for me....)

and yeah, the mileage is great, only 23k miles, cant go wrong there. its in mint shape (better shape than the CL-S to be honest with ya...should be fun....im looking forward to modding it out too, top of the line stainless steel headers that are equal to, if not better quality than comptech are about 500 bucks for the V8 i have in that truck....Cheap good quality mods, here i come!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey jim,

With gas prices the way they are, be prepared to spend that $50/month you plan on saving. It's going to be going straight into the gas tank! Good luck though!

-Ash
Old 02-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

its in mint shape (better shape than the CL-S to be honest with ya...
Maybe that’s part of the reason for your LOW offer.
If they see all kinds of minor damage after only ONE year they’re gonna assume you beat the SHIT out of the car and lower the value.

Shawn S
Old 02-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Ashburner
Hey jim,

With gas prices the way they are, be prepared to spend that $50/month you plan on saving. It's going to be going straight into the gas tank! Good luck though!

-Ash

That and tires......truck tires AREN'T cheap.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Ashburner
Hey jim,

-Ash

well, actually, my commute to work is like 1.5 miles each way so im not too worried about the gas....i only drive like 10k miles a year.....not only that but at least now i can use the CHEAP gas!!! no more spending 2.00 a gallon for 93 octane!!!! so i may actually be SAVING money in gas with this truck. we shall see how bad the gas mileage really is....ive got a buddy with a 2001 ram quad cab with the 5.9 and he says he gets about 10 city and 15 highway

my truck has the 5.2 so i should be getting at least a LITTLE bit better gas mileage than that.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Zapata
That and tires......truck tires AREN'T cheap.
hell no, geezz and some of us bitch about our aftermarket tire prices be prepaired. Truck Mods arent cheap either. :P
Old 02-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
hell no, geezz and some of us bitch about our aftermarket tire prices be prepaired. Truck Mods arent cheap either. :P

the tires on this truck are brand new, so im not too concerned there, i know the tires for that truck will be cheaper than S-03's or Toyo proxies for a CL-S!!! as far as mods....K&N cold air induction kit is about 250, that includes an "icebox" type unit as well. the top-notch headers are about 500 bucks...thats not bad....some other stuff like rear end lockers and gears can get expensive, but im not going to be getting into stuff like that, i just want to beef it up a bit, throw a dual exhaust on it and some basic bolt ons. the other good thing is that the engine bay is HUUUGE and its jacked up really high so it shouldnt be hard to do alot of the mods myself!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

IMO, beware of the 5.2L engine. I have had many a friends and family who have had that engine in their Grand Cherokees and the like, and it has been nothing but a headache. Is it possible to find a Ram with the 4.7L engine? Much better engine. Better gas mileage, more power and more reliable...

Otherwise, it's a great truck. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

the other good thing is that the engine bay is HUUUGE and its jacked up really high so it shouldnt be hard to do alot of the mods myself!
True, you have TONS of room to do that stuff on a truck. Hope you enjoy the purchase.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cusdaddy
IMO, beware of the 5.2L engine. I have had many a friends and family who have had that engine in their Grand Cherokees and the like, and it has been nothing but a headache. Is it possible to find a Ram with the 4.7L engine? Much better engine. Better gas mileage, more power and more reliable...

Otherwise, it's a great truck. Good luck!
i havent heard many issues about that motor....i do know that for the 2000 and up, there were some changes to the motor, not sure what, but hopefully i wont run into issues with it...
Old 02-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

...but hopefully i wont run into issues with it...

Hmmm, this sounds like what I tell myself about the Auto CL-S tranny :o
Old 02-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes, definitely do your research before buying a vehicle with that motor.

I've heard quite a few horror stories.....

....better to be informed, ya know?
Old 02-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

I would buy a Ford F-150 before I buy a Dodge truck. I have had 3 F-150's and they are great trucks with very little maintenance and 0 problems. There are plenty of used trucks on the market so shop before you buy.

Good luck..

JIM..

PS: I just took a $9,000 hit on a 2002 Mustang GT, OUCH!!
Old 02-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Learn to swim

Ha ha I went to the BMW dealership last week to test drive and consider a trade. CL-S is an 01 purchased in 00 it now has 44k miles. One dealership offered me $17k and another offered $14k.
I almost $hit myself......... half of the value gone in 2 years.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Banned

Agreed. Dodges are known for the most problems. Ford and Chevy are like the most reliable for trucks. Chevys ride nicer and are bigger overall inside. IMHO.

Originally posted by jim2001CL-S
I would buy a Ford F-150 before I buy a Dodge truck. I have had 3 F-150's and they are great trucks with very little maintenance and 0 problems. There are plenty of used trucks on the market so shop before you buy.

Good luck..

JIM..

PS: I just took a $9,000 hit on a 2002 Mustang GT, OUCH!!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by tuleman

A Similar story.

Damn, when I sold my Accord last year it lost half of the $16,500 I bought it for.

Oh, I forgot to mention it was a 93.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I hope you are not leasing, if you struggling with money like that its a good idea to own a car.....
Old 02-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
jim wtf...what about the IS? Wasnt there a semi-flame thread on your want for an IS over the cl?
Old 02-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best of luck with the new car.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by tuleman
Ha ha I went to the BMW dealership last week to test drive and consider a trade. CL-S is an 01 purchased in 00 it now has 44k miles. One dealership offered me $17k and another offered $14k.
You people have to realize that a dealer is not going to give you anything close to what your car is worth on a trade-in. Buy low, sell high.

If you want to get decent money for your car, sell it privately. I sold my '01 CL-S w/ 29,000 miles for $22,500 a month ago. I only lost about $7500 in value over 2.5 years of owning the car. Not too damn bad.

You folks screaming that our car value sucks need to stop looking at trade-in quotes from dealers. Of course they are going to try to screw you.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Jim,

You live in wisconsin and now drive a Dodge, can i PLEASE make fun of you NOW? After all you said you arent a hick.

j/k I love those trucks, have fun with it.

see ya

Quick Reply: Trade in value = ouch