toulene benefits for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toulene benefits for our cars?

i know its been posted but with fi or turbo charged alot of guys use it to raise the octane level and get more performance.everyone chime in
Old 05-28-2004, 08:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
none at all, the ECU isn't mapped to run that high an octane unless you are FI. And even then if i'm not mistaken toulene is basically like vp and a leaded fuel and will do some serious damage
Old 05-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Nothing except probably more carbon deposits due to the fact that it only benefits FI cars. Just burning gas that won't burn.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom line: do the tests yourself.

Rocket fuel can be made for toluene and xylene.

If you need to bump the octane, it will work well as an octane booster.

Just try not to breathe the fumes will mixing up a batch.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show.../t-420798.html

Personally, why not just grab some 100-octane-unleaded gas if you want to experiment. If the car needs more octane, you will see the results in a dyno run, at the track, or with the GTech.

IMO, 93-octane is probably all the stock Acura CLS can use on a cold day (mine is a 2001 auto CLS). When I did test after test with CA 91-octane vs. 93, 95, etc, (100-octane 76 mixed in various proportions) I managed to see improvement in 0..60 times. I base my comment about the 93-octane on seeing very little ADDITIONAL improvement when using increasing amounts of 100-octane. I even tried pure 100-octane.

BTW, if you are going to do testing, do it:

1. At cold temps; 70-degrees F (and below).
2. At see level.
3. On days with low humidity.

I never got much benefit from higher octane on hot days (more than 91-octane). (Scalbert made a comment about timing tables/maps, etc. the other day in regards to this issue.) I saw the same results: improvement with higher octane when cool, and little or none when hot outside.

If you do the tests, be sure to clean out the fuel tank with a fresh batch of 91-octane or other "standard" premium fuel between tests. IOW, make sure to clear out any "mixed" gas between tests.

I also have mentioned that some of the gains I measured may have been due to the quality of the 100-octane 76-unleaded gasoline.

YMMV
Old 05-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some comments about octane...

Originally posted by NiteQwill
Nothing except probably more carbon deposits due to the fact that it only benefits FI cars. Just burning gas that won't burn.
I don't know why you would get more carbon deposits. If a car needs more octane, it needs it.

I don't believe that using higher octane fuel creates more carbon deposits. I've never heard of any correlation between pollutants and octane. The flame front speed is not dependent on octane (this seems to be a source of contention in various forums).

76 Performance Products has modified this test additionally to use it with racing engines on engine dynamometers. This has given us the opportunity to evaluate gasoline blends during our racing gasoline development that had good RON and MON but that did not respond well in the racing engine under a full throttle excursion through the entire RPM range. We felt these conditions were the true indicators of how the fuel could be best developed. In our program we found that the gasoline blending components and their ratios are far more important to the racing engine response than high RON and MON numbers. RON and MON can only be used as a guide, the final work must come from the Road Octane Number (RdON).
And, let me direct you to a good tome on petrol:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasol.../preamble.html

The antiknock ability is related to the "autoignition temperature" of the
hydrocarbons. Antiknock ability is _not_ substantially related to:-
1. The energy content of fuel, this should be obvious, as oxygenates have
lower energy contents, but high octanes.
2. The flame speed of the conventionally ignited mixture, this should be evident from the similarities of the two reference hydrocarbons.
Although flame speed does play a minor part, there are many other factors that are far more important. ( such as compression ratio, stoichiometry, combustion chamber shape, chemical structure of the fuel, presence of antiknock additives, number and position of spark plugs, turbulence etc.)
Flame speed does not correlate with octane
And, the following might be less relevant with clean-burning engines, but is worth looking at:

7.8 What is the effect of engine deposits?

A new engine may only require a fuel of 6-9 octane numbers lower than the same engine after 25,000 km. This Octane Requirement Increase (ORI) is due to the formation of a mixture of organic and inorganic deposits resulting from both the fuel and the lubricant. They reach an equilibrium amount because of flaking, however dramatic changes in driving styles can also result in dramatic changes of the equilibrium position. When the engine starts to burn more oil, the octane requirement can increase again. ORIs up to 12 are not uncommon, depending on driving style [27,28,32,111]. The deposits produce
the ORI by several mechanisms:-
- they reduce the combustion chamber volume, effectively increasing the compression ratio.
- they also reduce thermal conductivity, thus increasing the combustion chamber temperatures.
- they catalyze undesirable pre-flame reactions that produce end gases with
low autoignition temperatures
IMO, the CLS can use more than 91-octane on cold days.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:52 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok but i also read that you can get crystalazation on your plugs using tulene which is not good and it can harm rubber parts in the fuel system so i think ill stay with 100 sunoco but even then our cats dont like high octane to begin with over time they will burn out