Took the CL to the AutoCross

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Took the CL to the AutoCross

And damn, for such a big heavy FWD car, it handled pretty well. We each got 7 runs and by the end of the day I ran a 57.9 second lap. Which isn't too shabby considering the fastest car there ran a 49.XX second lap, and he was a heavy modded E36 M3 and the guy can drive.

The event was a BMW CCA event, but some other cars showed up as well. The cars ranged form a Civic to a GT3 and of course quite a few BMWs. There was even a guy in a older Dodge Dakota running It was held at the PNC Bank arts center in NJ, and the lot was pretty good. Decent grip and the track was setup fairly easy. I can't wait till next year, hopefully I'll have sways, better brakes and maybe a few performance goodies.

All in all, it was a fun day. I'm curious to see what my corrected times will be (they weight times differently based on your car, for non-BMWs).

I have a video, but its big(40mb) but if someone could host it for me, that would be great.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:17 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome mclaren! I am thinking about it now too after doing the mercedes event. That shit is so much fun!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mclaren were you at the fairmount meet? If you were which car were you?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by racersky
hey mclaren were you at the fairmount meet? If you were which car were you?
Was that a little over a month ago in Philly? If so, yeah I was there. I had the lowered CL-P.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm Cool

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Was that a little over a month ago in Philly? If so, yeah I was there. I had the lowered CL-P.
When u took the CL to the track, was it a CL-S or the CL-P? Either way, i want to see that video ur talking about
Old 10-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bobbydoedoe
When u took the CL to the track, was it a CL-S or the CL-P? Either way, i want to see that video ur talking about
Its a CL-P lowered on COmptech Springs on stock shocks and with 18" ROnJon Inspyres with Falken Zeix 512 tires 225/40/18.

And I would post the video, but I have nowhere to host it. If someone here could help me out...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice dude, the new RonJon Edition grille will def shave off a few tenths of a second...
lol
What did your pops car run? and with headers, you should do a bit better. Email me the vid, I'll see if i can host.
Later
Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
WESTK

cool, id like to give the autocross a shot.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rondog
Nice dude, the new RonJon Edition grille will def shave off a few tenths of a second...
lol
What did your pops car run? and with headers, you should do a bit better. Email me the vid, I'll see if i can host.
Later
My dad didn't do so good His best time was 65 seconds. I think he was a little pissed at the end of the day when I got in his car and ran a 66 first run in his car. But it was a great time and we both had fun, so its all good

THanks for offering to host it. I'll see if I can get it to you when I get home from work.

Headers would help a little, but at the end of the day, I saw that the brakes suck monkey balls and better brakes would let me go deeper into the turn before braking.

You should come to one of the events next year, the way you drive, you'd probably do pretty well

N.O.6speed: Definitly try it. BMW CCA chapters hold them all across the country. Or you could try and find a SCCA event, but some of those guys are serious. But its a great time and you can see what your car can really do, and for a lowly CL-P, my car didn't handle
so bad.

some crummy pics:http://www.teamdfl.com/events/autox_...04/Page10.html
at the bottom of the page, yup thats me

http://www.teamdfl.com/events/autox_.../Image106.html
the GT3, did I say ?

http://www.teamdfl.com/events/autox_.../Image159.html
dodge dakota running the course, body roll anyone??
Old 10-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Blown LS6!!

Awesome! I did an autocross a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. I didn't, however, think my car handled very well...and I have springs, sways, and a strut bar. Oh well, maybe I was expecting too much and you weren't expecting enough going in.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
What gives, those pics would damn nice to see a CL with the wheels cutting through the S curve. Too bad they are blurry.
Hah, that neon just ate that cone, prolly felt like an idiot.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rondog
What gives, those pics would damn nice to see a CL with the wheels cutting through the S curve. Too bad they are blurry.
Hah, that neon just ate that cone, prolly felt like an idiot.
shame they are blurred. kinda disappointing, but oh well.

I laughed out loud when I saw the pic of that neon mid cone.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
Awesome! I did an autocross a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. I didn't, however, think my car handled very well...and I have springs, sways, and a strut bar. Oh well, maybe I was expecting too much and you weren't expecting enough going in.
I did an autocross this last weekend and I too was disappointed in the CL. The suspension held the car flat but the stock tires suck ass. I may do one next month to catch the last one of the season.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by Allout
I did an autocross this last weekend and I too was disappointed in the CL. The suspension held the car flat but the stock tires suck ass. I may do one next month to catch the last one of the season.

Still fun though eh?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
Still fun though eh?
Definitely I'm hooked. Can't wait until the next one to improve my times. Down side is that with the brakes, SC, and motor size, they're going to throw me into a class that I have no hope of being competitive. It's still not going to stop me from driving though.