Too many "magazine racers" on this board

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 12:37 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Ok. Here's what you said:

"But, you're totally missing my point. On average, the CL-S will just not keep up with a Porsche Boxster S. Why can't certain people here just accept this fact?"

I gotta hand it to ya Tom, that's a stellar explanation.

And yet I "insist on going back to Boxsters and CLs."

</font>
Yeah, okay that's great. Take one portion of my post, exclude the rest, and then quote me on it.

Why don't you go back to my ORIGINAL post and read it again. The topic of this thread is about MAGAZINE RACERS.

You should work for the National Enquirer. You're great at cutting up peoples words and quoting them on it.

I'm done with this conversation.

Later.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-23-2001, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
Crippen,
<Snip>
Do you remember me from H/A net? (Tom, without the 2)

Actually, I was Tom here also until Soopa banned me and I had to re-register as Tom2.

My CL-S is history now, but I still have the M3.

</font>
Ah, how goes? I do remember you, and congrats on your M3 purchase The new M3 made me regret buying my CL-S ... and I am THIS close to trading it up soon. The only thing preventing that is my utter disgust with myself @ wasting money all the time. I had my ITR for 2 years and took a huge $$$ loss -- and the CL-S would be an even bigger loss.

How do you like your M3 ?

------------------
R.I.P Integra Type-R #932
Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Old 04-23-2001, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Oh, small addendum to my previous post:

I fully agree that the AVG CL-S driver would be hard-pressed to get sub 15sec quarter miles. The car's weight, crappy tires, poor decision to auto-shift 1->2 contribute to many ppl screwing up the launch.

------------------
R.I.P Integra Type-R #932
Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Old 04-23-2001, 01:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
To all you Porsche owners:

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-23-2001, 01:31 AM
Learn to swim.

My CLS is not fast, I will add headers and it will still not be fast. I might go for a CAI, even so it will still not be fast. I am not 16 years old anymore, my brain does not ask my nuts for permission to think anymore. There is a punk in my comlex that drives a 97-98 model Del Sol with stickers and fart-pipes galore---always trying to get me to race. I will not race him. I am not a tool.
Everytime I try to say anything about our cars NOT BEING FAST, which by the way they aren't, people get all fired up about me saying something like "people shouldn't modify/enjoy their cars" which is all a bunch of crap. I don't have anything against people wanting to make their cars perform better, I'm all for it-I'm getting headers next month. My problem is when people do it to try to outrun someone in a sprts car, to prove to that guy some how that he is not as cool as he "thinks" he is. I don't have "buyer remorse" as someone stated earlier, I bought this car because it is reliable, because it looks good, because I don't spend a fortune in gas, because it is sophisticated, because I like the GPS in the dash, because the stereo is damn nice for stock, NOT because I saw the commercial and it said 260 hp. 260 hp is quite a bit when talking about import mid-size luxury coupes, but not very much when your talking about sports cars--especially since we weigh 3800 lbs!!! All you need to go fast is money, any twerp with a little of Daddy's money can go out and get a 330 or an M3.

So, let's see now, who are we trying to race, a Porsche?? Please, no. Tell us about that sub you installed, or those plugs you put in, how about which bulb I can use to replace the yellow-ass light coming from the map-lights, but leave out how you want to prove to that guy down the street with a FireBird how ignorant he is when it comes to class and how technology will win over displacement any day. For one; you cannot teach anyone anything that is not willing to listen, and two he will fly past you like no tomorrow and you'll be left with ASS printed on your forehead and the smell of a poorly tuned exhaust system in your mouth. I guess everyone has their right to post stories about how their Acura is God's gift to street racing, but think before you you jump. Your car is better than that.

I'm not trying to change anyone with this, just venting again, children trapped in the bodies of adults are dangerous.....
Old 04-23-2001, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Amen, Aeon.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:07 AM
ACME sucks!

I have to admit, after reading about 7 or 8 of the posts in this thread I gave up and decided to post one of my own.

I must say that I mostly agree with Tom. The CL-S is not a racer. Yes, it has a lot of HP and can probably beat 75% of the cars on American streets, but it's NOT a sports car. The CL-S is a $30k luxury car with a powerful engine....that's it.

For a car to be considered a racer (or sports car) it must certainly weight a helluva lot less than 3800 pounds! And, it better have a manual tranny (not to mention RWD).

Come on guys, love the car for what it is, a true LUXURY car (with 260 HP) at an affordable price. If you want a $30k car that will beat 90% of the cars on American streets, buy a Z28, TA, Cobra, etc to get the job done.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone

[This message has been edited by MikeN (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 02:17 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Does Gtech count?
</font>
Gtech's never count for anything. Even if I believe that the unit itself can be accurate within 1/10th (which I do) I still don't count it's results for anything. The reason is because there are way too many factors going against getting a performance number that can be used to compare against other cars. I'm sure all you are aware of these factors so I won't go into detail. All the Gtech is good for is to get a baseline for your car. If you run the gtech a number of times on the same road and get an average, that can be a good baseline for performance that you can test against once you do some performance mods to your car.

And no flaming please. I own a Gtech myself.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment - #26519
non-nav - spoiler - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s - Zaino baby! - Pics of my car
Old 04-23-2001, 02:20 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
For a car to be considered a racer (or sports car) it must certainly weight a helluva lot less than 3800 pounds!
</font>
What option did you get to make your car about 300lbs heavier than everyone else's CL-S?

However, I completely agree with your entire post. I didn't buy my CL-S to go up against true sports cars. I got it because (too me) it is the best balance of sport/performance and luxury.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment - #26519
non-nav - spoiler - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s - Zaino baby! - Pics of my car

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 02:45 AM
Learn to swim.

I think he got the typo from me, I meant to say 3,500 (still real heavy).
Old 04-23-2001, 03:45 AM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by charliemike:
Who gives a shit if your car gets thumped by a 4cyl Dodge Caravan?</font>
funny you should mention that

------------------
2001 cls: silver/black;spoiler;mud guards
future mods : headers;intake;exhaust;springs
Old 04-23-2001, 11:37 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hi Tom,
I was wondering when the ol' Tom would come back. Welcome. Now this board will become an educational tool again. I don't street race, too dangerous. If you wanna race, you can drive my CL-S and I wanna drive ur M3!

Ha ha, meet you at El Bandido for lunch or dinner anytime! And BTW, I can beat ANY Hyundai out there! Woo hoo!

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 04-23-2001, 11:48 AM
Adult Supervision

Okay, here's my take:

1) It is interesting to look at what the times are that are reported by the magazines. i.e. "On paper, R&T says that a CLS should beat a Contour by 5 seconds." That is an interesting paper comparison and should be used for reference only and in the light in which it is given. Since we can't get out hands on many of these cars, it is interesting to see what they are perported to do.

2) HP comparisons based on dyno's and modded cars is interesting but not conclusive. "I've got headers, a CAI, and 10 acura-cl.com stickers so my HP should now be 310 hp and I should be able to beat a Mercury Sable by 7 seconds..." Again, interesting but not conclusive.

3) Impromtu Street Racing should be taken with a pound of salt. "I murdered a '01 M3 last night - the guy never saw me coming and was so scared of my CLS her was slowing down and turned onto a side street at the earliest opportunity.

4) "Organized Street Racing" or Track racing should be valued as the most realistic comparison. "My buddy has a 99 M3 and we did 1/4 miles at the old airport for an hour - we switched car each time and the M3 killed the CLS 7 out of 9 times..." This is a more realistic scenario and one that I would read with interest.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aeon:
My CLS is not fast, I will add headers and it will still not be fast. I might go for a CAI, even so it will still not be fast. I am not 16 years old anymore, my brain does not ask my nuts for permission to think anymore. There is a punk in my comlex that drives a 97-98 model Del Sol with stickers and fart-pipes galore---always trying to get me to race. I will not race him. I am not a tool.
Everytime I try to say anything about our cars NOT BEING FAST, which by the way they aren't, people get all fired up about me saying something like "people shouldn't modify/enjoy their cars" which is all a bunch of crap. I don't have anything against people wanting to make their cars perform better, I'm all for it-I'm getting headers next month. My problem is when people do it to try to outrun someone in a sprts car, to prove to that guy some how that he is not as cool as he "thinks" he is. I don't have "buyer remorse" as someone stated earlier, I bought this car because it is reliable, because it looks good, because I don't spend a fortune in gas, because it is sophisticated, because I like the GPS in the dash, because the stereo is damn nice for stock, NOT because I saw the commercial and it said 260 hp. 260 hp is quite a bit when talking about import mid-size luxury coupes, but not very much when your talking about sports cars--especially since we weigh 3800 lbs!!! All you need to go fast is money, any twerp with a little of Daddy's money can go out and get a 330 or an M3.

So, let's see now, who are we trying to race, a Porsche?? Please, no. Tell us about that sub you installed, or those plugs you put in, how about which bulb I can use to replace the yellow-ass light coming from the map-lights, but leave out how you want to prove to that guy down the street with a FireBird how ignorant he is when it comes to class and how technology will win over displacement any day. For one; you cannot teach anyone anything that is not willing to listen, and two he will fly past you like no tomorrow and you'll be left with ASS printed on your forehead and the smell of a poorly tuned exhaust system in your mouth. I guess everyone has their right to post stories about how their Acura is God's gift to street racing, but think before you you jump. Your car is better than that.

I'm not trying to change anyone with this, just venting again, children trapped in the bodies of adults are dangerous.....
</font>
Aeon,

Weren't you the guy who bought the Cobra to street race all punks with fart pipes?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-23-2001, 12:13 PM
Instructor

With all the testosterone flowing on this board, it's amazing that the country has a power crisis.

------------------
I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.
General Patton
Old 04-23-2001, 12:21 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TakeFlight:
What option did you get to make your car about 300lbs heavier than everyone else's CL-S?

However, I completely agree with your entire post. I didn't buy my CL-S to go up against true sports cars. I got it because (too me) it is the best balance of sport/performance and luxury.

</font>

The "option" is me sitting in it!

And I bought the car for the same exact reason you did.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-23-2001, 05:32 PM
Learn to swim.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
Aeon,

Weren't you the guy who bought the Cobra to street race all punks with fart pipes?

</font>
No, I was the one who had one in High School, putting me at about the same level as them.
Old 04-23-2001, 06:45 PM
Banned

I totally agree with you on the topic of magazine racers. There is one thing particular about the CL-S. It is an automatic. There isn't really going to be that much difference between published times and actual times. But for a Boxster S, there is a big difference. And your vaulted M3 too. Remember that most magazines give a rats ass about the car they are testing, so they'll launch the sucker as how as they can and slam the gears powershifting. That's how your M3 runs high 13s/low 14s.....at the track....they'll pull anywhere from a 14.3 to a 14.7 (Sears Point Raceway). But I don't like magazine numbers for the most part either...I watch cars run all day at the track and see them hit their magazine times....only after HIE. As for s2000 and ITRs..those 1/4 mile times are bs too.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
Yeah, okay that's great. Take one portion of my post, exclude the rest, and then quote me on it.

Why don't you go back to my ORIGINAL post and read it again. The topic of this thread is about MAGAZINE RACERS.

You should work for the National Enquirer. You're great at cutting up peoples words and quoting them on it.

I'm done with this conversation.

Later.

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 04-23-2001, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
before i thought my cl-s IS FAST.. not as fast as porche 911 or m5 but it will whoop most of the cars.. UNTIL i raced the Supercharged solora =) <--- u guys should know i m not bsing on this one. I could only keep up with him ERRRR... i dont care if it s superCharged (According to the MAGAZINE,, supercharged solora is only about high 6 or low 7 for 0-60)... then i realized my car is just a NORMAL car =) right now, i only race with chicks =) cuz i know i wont loose =)
Old 04-23-2001, 07:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
I have to admit, after reading about 7 or 8 of the posts in this thread I gave up and decided to post one of my own.

I must say that I mostly agree with Tom. The CL-S is not a racer. Yes, it has a lot of HP and can probably beat 75% of the cars on American streets, but it's NOT a sports car. The CL-S is a $30k luxury car with a powerful engine....that's it.

For a car to be considered a racer (or sports car) it must certainly weight a helluva lot less than 3800 pounds! And, it better have a manual tranny (not to mention RWD).

Come on guys, love the car for what it is, a true LUXURY car (with 260 HP) at an affordable price. If you want a $30k car that will beat 90% of the cars on American streets, buy a Z28, TA, Cobra, etc to get the job done.

</font>
So, are you saying that the Type R is not a sports car?

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 04-23-2001, 07:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
Okay, here's my take:

1) It is interesting to look at what the times are that are reported by the magazines. i.e. "On paper, R&T says that a CLS should beat a Contour by 5 seconds." That is an interesting paper comparison and should be used for reference only and in the light in which it is given. Since we can't get out hands on many of these cars, it is interesting to see what they are perported to do.

2) HP comparisons based on dyno's and modded cars is interesting but not conclusive. "I've got headers, a CAI, and 10 acura-cl.com stickers so my HP should now be 310 hp and I should be able to beat a Mercury Sable by 7 seconds..." Again, interesting but not conclusive.

3) Impromtu Street Racing should be taken with a pound of salt. "I murdered a '01 M3 last night - the guy never saw me coming and was so scared of my CLS her was slowing down and turned onto a side street at the earliest opportunity.

4) "Organized Street Racing" or Track racing should be valued as the most realistic comparison. "My buddy has a 99 M3 and we did 1/4 miles at the old airport for an hour - we switched car each time and the M3 killed the CLS 7 out of 9 times..." This is a more realistic scenario and one that I would read with interest.

</font>

I love number 4. Switching drivers is great.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 04-23-2001, 07:57 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gavriil:
So, are you saying that the Type R is not a sports car?

</font>
It's more of a "sports car" than a CL-S. I certainly wouldn't consider it a luxury car. It's light, handles great, is powerful, and has a manual tranny. It just doesn't have RWD.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-23-2001, 07:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Howcome all of a sudden I feel like the only guy who thinks his car is fast (fast meaning able to beat most cars IN IT'S CLASS, and as a daily driver, able to be higher up in the food chain than the average car). I think this topic is way too over-spoken. Bottom line is I WILL STILL, EVEN IF I LOSE, RACE EVERY FUCKING CAR OUT THERE IF I WANT TO. That's called being competitive and there is nothing wrong with that.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-23-2001, 07:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Tom,

I knew that was you when I saw the M3 at the bottom. What happened to the CLS? Why are you saying it's history?

Tom and me had this debate 6 months ago. He called me a mag racer too cos I wrote that the last M3 (E36) C$D tested run 6.0 seconds for the 0-60 mph. He got furious cos I selected the slowest time posted for an M3 as far as I am concerned.

But I still do not understand how you feel about the C$D staff and other magazines' staff Tom? Elaborate on that. Do you think these guys know what they are talking about in general or what? Apart from the times and slips. How do you view the staff of the major car mags?

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 04-23-2001, 08:03 PM
ACME sucks!

Howcome all of a sudden I feel like the only guy who thinks his car is fast (fast meaning able to beat most cars IN IT'S CLASS, and as a daily driver, able to be higher up in the food chain than the average car). I think this topic is way too over-spoken. Bottom line is I WILL STILL, EVEN IF I LOSE, RACE EVERY FUCKING CAR OUT THERE IF I WANT TO. That's called being competitive and there is nothing wrong with that.

</font>
Yeh, but I think you should be reasonable. You'll never beat a late-model Corvette, Camaro, TA, Porsche, M3, M5, etc.... so why waste your time to lose. You should stick to a class and let it come down to who's the better driver.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-23-2001, 08:04 PM
ACME sucks!

Tom,

I knew that was you when I saw the M3 at the bottom. What happened to the CLS? Why are you saying it's history?

Tom and me had this debate 6 months ago. He called me a mag racer too cos I wrote that the last M3 (E36) C$D tested run 6.0 seconds for the 0-60 mph. He got furious cos I selected the slowest time posted for an M3 as far as I am concerned.

But I still do not understand how you feel about the C$D staff and other magazines' staff Tom? Elaborate on that. Do you think these guys know what they are talking about in general or what? Apart from the times and slips. How do you view the staff of the major car mags?

</font>

His car was wrecked after he let his brother borrow it!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-23-2001, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

</font>
Hey I feel my car is pretty fast. 90% of the (stock) cars out there are slower than your CLS especially in a race on the highway.

It just amazes me though that no one has stated how inferior is the flagship Boxster when it comes to engines. I know it sounds off topic but there is a lot of comparison made between the CLS and the Boxster S and who is slower/faster and who uses better technology.

Well let's look at the numbers:

3,2 liters for both engines. Our "tweaked" version (Type S), their tweaked version ("S").

We make 10 more HP at 1050 rpm EARLIER! The last part is pretty impressive. And on top of that our peak torque is 7 lb-ft more and it comes 500 rpm before theirs does.

Suddenly this makes me feel much better when it comes to the perfomrance issue. You need $51K for a Boxster S and there are about 20 convinience features the S is missing not to mention the room available inside.

Porsche gives 5.9 secs for the manual and 6.5 secs for the Tiptronic S.

I feel VERY competitive and not at all like I got a slow car.

Above all though I feel smart for paying $28,873.00 for this car.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 04-23-2001, 08:21 PM
ACME sucks!

Hey I feel my car is pretty fast. 90% of the (stock) cars out there are slower than your CLS especially in a race on the highway.

It just amazes me though that no one has stated how inferior is the flagship Boxster when it comes to engines. I know it sounds off topic but there is a lot of comparison made between the CLS and the Boxster S and who is slower/faster and who uses better technology.

Well let's look at the numbers:

3,2 liters for both engines. Our "tweaked" version (Type S), their tweaked version ("S").

We make 10 more HP at 1050 rpm EARLIER! The last part is pretty impressive. And on top of that our peak torque is 7 lb-ft more and it comes 500 rpm before theirs does.

Suddenly this makes me feel much better when it comes to the perfomrance issue. You need $51K for a Boxster S and there are about 20 convinience features the S is missing not to mention the room available inside.

Porsche gives 5.9 secs for the manual and 6.5 secs for the Tiptronic S.

I feel VERY competitive and not at all like I got a slow car.

Above all though I feel smart for paying $28,873.00 for this car.

</font>
I tell ya what, go find one that will race you and put a video camera on your dash. If you'll show the video online, I'll bet we'll get to read the license plate number of your opponent.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-23-2001, 08:24 PM
- daemonichris -

if you're so tired of the BS... why don't you just leave?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Nighthawk Black/Ebony
Two 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs, Kenwood 600-watt Amp
Custom CAI
Cleared Headlights, everything Polarg
Tint 20% front 15% rear
Old 04-23-2001, 08:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Oh and by the way, Porsche's engine uses Variocam which has infinite control of the valves' lift on top of the valves' timing. I am guessing our engine with iVtec will make an extra 20HP.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 04-23-2001, 08:36 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
if you're so tired of the BS... why don't you just leave?

</font>

Old 04-23-2001, 09:00 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I scared the shit out of a white camro' driver and his firend, when I down shifted at 75 to take an exit... oops I double shifted to 3rd. Vtec Sceaming....and OMG It is 110....

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-24-2001, 12:33 AM
Instructor

</font>
Dude, what are you (or all the other drag racers) trying to prove? Be happy with what you have: a luxurious, well equipped, powerful, reliable automobile. Most of you are are in your late teens and early twenties. When I was that age, I was happy if I had a token for the nyc subway. What I don't get is the "I'll race and kill every single car out there" mentality. Acura doesn't even market their cars that way. Be happy with what you have today; it may be gone tomorrow. Let the flaming begin.

P.S. Eclipse, what did I tell you about the swearing?

------------------
I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.
General Patton
Old 04-24-2001, 12:40 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
With all the testosterone flowing on this board, it's amazing that the country has a power crisis.

</font>
I dunno about you, but I am not allowing anything electrical hooked up to MY junk

=)
Old 04-24-2001, 12:52 AM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
Dude, what are you (or all the other drag racers) trying to prove? Be happy with what you have: a luxurious, well equipped, powerful, reliable automobile. Most of you are are in your late teens and early twenties. When I was that age, I was happy if I had a token for the nyc subway. What I don't get is the "I'll race and kill every single car out there" mentality. Acura doesn't even market their cars that way. Be happy with what you have today; it may be gone tomorrow. Let the flaming begin.

P.S. Eclipse, what did I tell you about the swearing?

</font>

You'll get no flames from me. These kids have had it pretty easy growin' up with a strong, stable economy. They better enjoy it while it lasts! God forbid the day when parents can't afford to buy their kids a car at 16!!!

Okay, who's gonna flame this response???

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-24-2001, 02:35 AM
Subie Dubie

I know i'm getting in late on this one but i couldn't take some of these responses.Since when is upper 5s and low 6s slow?Not in my book.Half the vehicles on the road are gigantic suv's that are lucky to be below 9 or 10 seconds.During my average commute i feel like i'm driving an indy car.
By the way Tom,that's why we read car mags,at least i do.I want to know who i can keep up with and who will embaress me.

------------------
San Marino Red
Spoiler
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
Old 04-24-2001, 02:44 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

For one thing pick 10 guys from this board, have a meet at the drag strip 8 out 10 guys will not brake below 15s!

As for your 0-60 numbers you would be lucky to break 6.8s!. taking a CLS at 6.0 and less with basic mods is just a pipe dream.

flame yeah, let us meet at the drag strip better

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-24-2001, 03:18 AM
Team Owner

May I?
Old 04-24-2001, 04:20 AM
Banned

ok.... here goes...
#1 - Nobody here bought the CL-S for raw power.... 30+K will buy a 94< corvette that will outgun, outhandle, outperform most cars listed here with <3k of mods...period ... topic ends here ... to argue is pointless ... headers+intake+exhaust on a C4 6 speed LS1 wins..- end of debate.
#2 - The car is only as strong as the driver ... all other things being equal.- Achmeds razor (look it up).. I have shown consistent Track Slips of 1/4 in 14.4 - 14.5 (Doubt me ?..meet me at Atco or Engishtown) with only a CAI . Am I a great driver, luck, especially fast car, ideal conditions ? ...... Maybe .... but I have also consistently paced or beat a 97 and 95 M3 ... on varying conditions...CONSISTENTLY..- period...
#3 - Achmeds razor - mods to mods - the CL-S is an all around luxury perfomer.....- stock CL-S to a stock boxster (S or not) - we may not win .. refer to #1 and #2 .. but we will not get embarassed or spanked.....

Any number of mods above 1 is no longer apples to apples.... if you think it is I've seen a 9 sec 1/4mile civic that would leave 99% of production cars (even exotics) packing gauze in all orifices....

Tom2,
Grow up.... 50% of race stories may be B.S. but you dont know all the facts unless you are there ..... the other half are true .... Stop trolling and enjoy your car .. its a great car..-BUT,IF ITS STOCK..,,,,, MY "MODDED CL-S" WILL BE AS INTIMATE WITH IT AS YOUR PROCTOLOGIST IS WITH YOU in a 1/4 mile..... fair race? ofcourse not ..... my sig shows only 1 mod ...(the only one you would noticeably hear on the street or track) Catch my point? P.S. - 1/4 in 14.4 to 14.5 is ONLY with the CAI.... come play w/me now.............
i
Apples to Apples .... ACURA CL-S = Luxury + Performance + Value....

Bottom line 90% is on the driver .... The CL-S can pull its own weight (all 3500+ lbs of it) add a few hundred to the cars you made comparisons with and see how they compare then..,

Someone close this thread and stop the madness....,

BTW: All outstanding orders will be shipped this weekend. I erroneously prepaid shipping labels for boxes 14x14x20 @ 4lbs when they were 14x14x14 @ 5lbs .... I am on vacation in L.B.I. N.J. through thurs. Inventory is plentiful and not an issue. - I apologize for the delay ...-All will be rectified ASAP.

FYI - PARK AVE ACURA IS NOW AN AUTHORIZED DISTTRIBUTOR.... Local Customers contact them for pricing and installation ! Approx. $200.00 + installation (Pricing on XephyrPerformance.com will be adjusted Monday April 30th for all new orders)

P.S. - The "homo" comments are juvenile and uncalled for regarding me personally.... Those of you that know me ... know how far off base that is.... When you see reps or owners of AEM or Injen driving 120+ miles to do installations for less then $400 Net Profit for 6 CAI's on a significantly finite market compared to M.B. + B.M.W. then I'll entertain immature bashing without an unprofessional recourse ...... My profit margin on the line for the Type S is as slim as the wit of comments some members show.... I do not generalize or stereotype ... They know who they are... and honestly give me more reason to pull the LEAST profitable model line from my retail sales line (I understand the valid concerns of customers that know my operation and follow my progress.... I do not however pay significant concern to bitter members that chose another vendor that offered a speedy turnaround for a lesser and overpriced product) ........

One man + business phone + cellular forwarding off hours + free powder coating + free meet installation for minimal purchase quantities = Xephyr Performance,L.L.C. (Obviously not in the Type S market for the money ... As it represents <25% of sales ) I stand behind my products 100% and maintain this model product line .... in light of all the aforementioned ..... draw your own conclusions.

***** I thank all of my supporters whole heartedly *****

Christopher Koncur
Xephyr Performance, L.L.C.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance CAI, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, 1/4 Mile in 14.424@97.23 MPH Atco Raceway Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 04-24-2001, 04:29 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
Achmeds razor (look it up)</font>
(Is he that Middle-Eastern kid down the street with the scooter? I think you mean Occam's Razor.)

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 04-24-2001).]

Quick Reply: Too many "magazine racers" on this board