Too many "magazine racers" on this board

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 09:24 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Too many "magazine racers" on this board

Seems like most of the guys on this board love to "magazine" race.

What's up with that?

I mentioned in another thread that putting 50HP of nitrous will not turn your CL-S into a Porsche beater. Then I said, "maybe a standard Boxster (not the S), but certainly not a 911"

After that, I get 0-60 ratings of magazines for the Boxster, blah blah blah....... then I get the "Boxster owners can't drive" bullshit blah, blah, blah.......

Funny thing is this- Magazine racers love to find the BEST time from any magazine that tests THEIR car and quote it like its the word of God. But they'll use any old time that they can find for the rival car.

Face it fellas, a stock CL-S with a 50 shot of nitrous may very well beat a Boxster, but will not outrun a Boxster S or 911 or any other Porsche in the land.......

And it won't beat an M3, M5, Z8, Vette, Supra Turbo, Cobra Mustang (or even a post 98 GT) blah, blah, blah.

Accept your car for what it is.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuck off!

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 04-22-2001, 09:31 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by davematthews-CL-S:
fuck off!

</font>
Okay

Truth hurts, huh?

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

What's the matter, Tom.... bored?

You of all people should know that there are MANY MANY factors involved in racing whether its at the track or on the street. You also should know that a CL-S with headers/intake and a 50 shot can take down a Boxster S ** in certain situations **

For instance...
- what if you get a slight jump on him?
- what if he has traction problems and you don't?
- what if he can't shift worth a damn?
- what if, what if, what if....

If you want to get picky and say that the above mentioned CL-S won't take out a Boxster S if the drivers and conditions are exactly the same in all possible ways, then maybe that's a true statement. It's also a ridiculous statement because it's basically impossible for all the factors to be "equal."

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a magazine racer or not accepting the limits of one's car.

just my .02

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
AEM CAI
PIAA 19169
Old 04-22-2001, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you Tom for telling me how to feel about my car and ofcourse picking apart the competition for us. You forgot to mention the tons of cars we can pull on. And, lets not compare price to performance or you may find yourself amazed on how we are beating cars 10-15K more expensive than our car. The 'magazine racers' here simply use the magazines as guides and references to see what other cars run. I personally did not opt' to buy a racetrack or pit crew, and unfortunately my finances restricted me from buying the 100 - 200K worth of timing devices and ofcourse the obligatory DynoJet in my backyard So, tell me my little friend how should we guage other cars? Maybe I should just put Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits (The six-CD collection) in my 6 CD changer and install a cappuchino machine in my car and give up being young and aggressive. Bottom line of my sarcasm riddled reply is why did you feel obliged to point out all the cars that can beat us and WTF do you care if someone pops the "bottle" on his car and pulls on a Porsche? NO SHIT we can't beat a Carrera 2 or Cobra, if we would, I would have a sign on the back of my car that read: Hey, just whipped your Cobra and I have heated seats HA HA!

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Gold,

Bored? Me? Nope. Just getting tired of some of the BS on this board.

Of course there are many factors in any race. And of course anything can happen in any race. Hell, a Toyota Corolla could even beat a ZO6 Vette if the circumstances were right. (the Vetter would probably have to blow up, though)

But, you're totally missing my point. On average, the CL-S will just not keep up with a Porsche Boxster S. Why can't certain people here just accept this fact?

In the world of make believe magazine racing, you can take the 6.4 sec 0-60 time and the 14.8 quarter mile time and compare it to EVERY SINGLE ROAD TEST that you ever read again. That would make you a magazine racer. There are plenty on this board.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 09:40 PM
Race Director

Ok first off Tom, Go f*ck yourself. I don't own a CL-S, however I do plan on it. And Boxster at best runs 6.4 0-60 and a CL-S at best runs neck and neck with it. I have also seen a Boxster race a CL-S to 70 and both were full out and it was dead even. A boxster S however will kick our ass. But if you know anything about nitrous and what it can do then you would not have said a CL-S with nitrous can't beat an S. Racing with Nitrous is BS anyway. But for you to thing a Boxster can beat a CL-S and it would be no contest maybe you should not only read some of the magazines you claim we read but you should witness it too. Thanks for being such a sport.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:43 PM
Adult Supervision

Classic Tom thread...IS300.net must be down for an upgrade or something.

You know what Tom? I can beat all of these cars in my sleep! No problem.

While awake? That's a different story.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-22-2001, 09:46 PM
Unregistered Member

eclipse,

You're another one who totally misses the point. I'm not telling you or anyone else how to feel about your car. And I didn't mention the "tons of cars" that the CL-S can beat because nobody here ever brags about beating a slower car. Nope, they always seem to talk junk about cars that are known to be faster. Take a good look at the "racing stories" forum for an example.

If you want to use magazines to gauge your cars performance against another, fine. Which performance numbers do you use for the CL-S? Fastest ones that I have personally read were 0-60 in 6.4 and 14.8 in the quarter. But what about some of the other CL-S road tests? Like 0-60 in 7.2 and 15.3 in the quarter? Noooooo, we can't use those numbers, can we?

It's just funny how some CL owners/fans will read every road test that they can get their hands on, but then disregard all but the quickest times in any of them. Maybe if they did that with the cars they are comparing, the results would be a little different.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 09:49 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgatour1:
Ok first off Tom, Go f*ck yourself.</font>
I stopped reading your post after the 1st sentence. If you have something intelligent to say, then say it. Otherwise, keep your personal feelings to yourself.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 09:49 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been 2 times at the drag strip, and tell you what our CLS is not that fast as some might think, first stock tires does not grip, and breaking the 15sec is not an easy feat.

If any CLS owner think he got a fast CLS, let us meet at the strip. Wheel spin and Toque Steering are enemy#1 of the CLS!

People did bashed a lot of magazine for their 15.4s 1/4 time. The fact is that it is not easy to go below 15s.

Flame me, yeah, better show me how you launch your CLS at the strip.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Banned

Maybe the 'magazine racers' don't feel like getting themselves killed in a street race?
My policy on never raceing anyone stands. I'm going to die at the age of 140! Not at the speed of 140.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
"Too many news programs have become public relations friendly" -Bill Oreilly
"People spend too much time finding other people to blame, too much energy finding excuses for not being what they are capable of being, and not enough energy putting themselves on the line, growing out of the past, and getting on with their lives." - J. Michael Straczynski
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Race Director

Ok I will agree that a lot of the race stories are bullshit on this site but that can be said for a lot of sites. Also magazines are made just to further prove our case. I understand what you are saying about different times in different mags. That totally makes sense. That is why I must say you need to have the two cars race to find out what the deal is. I have seen the Boxster and the CL-s race so I can vouch for that. Also we can not compare the CL-s to an M3, vette, or any other Porsche. But then again your talking 50K, 50K, and 60-120K. Not to mentions insurance and pracital stand point. We should be comparing the CL-s to cars in our price range and our speed class. I have an Olds Alero (V6) right now with a lot of mods that runs 6.7 0-60MPH and 15.1 in the quarter. You don't see me trying to race Porsche's or M Powered Bimmers. Stick with your class and watch out cause I beat a lot of morons out there that take my car for granted cause it says Alero. So two things race the cars to see the real results and also never take any car for granted cause you really don't know what is under the hood.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:54 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
I have been 2 times at the drag strip, and tell you what our CLS is not that fast as some might think, first stock tires does not grip, and breaking the 15sec is not an easy feat.

If any CLS owner think he got a fast CLS, let us meet at the strip. Wheel spin and Toque Steering are enemy#1 of the CLS!

People did bashed a lot of magazine for their 15.4s 1/4 time. The fact is that it is not easy to go below 15s.

Flame me, yeah, better show me how you launch your CLS at the strip.

</font>
Thanks for proving to me that there are still CL-S owners out there with some common sense. MANY guys here driving a CL-S could not run under 15 seconds.

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with that either......the CL-S is simply not a drag strip car. It's a relatively quick grand tourer, in my opinion.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 10:00 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Tom,

I agree with you. SS with our Vtec V6 260 HP we would pass any average joe on the road, 90% of the time, save those corvettes, vipers, ferraris and Porshes they are totally in a different class.

------------------
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 04-22-2001).]
Old 04-22-2001, 10:00 PM
Unregistered Member

pgatour,

A close friend of mine owns a Boxster S. I've raced around with him when I still had my CL-S, so I can speak from experience. My CL-S was stock, and he pulled away HARD from me. My CL-S simply could not keep up. Was my CL a slow example of the car? I don't think so. I had a best run of 14.7 at Englishtown. I was simple outgunned by a Boxster S.

By the way, a Boxster S gives my M3 a run for the money. With those two cars, it usually comes down to who drove better. Could easily go either way.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 10:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
I stopped reading your post after the 1st sentence. If you have something intelligent to say, then say it. Otherwise, keep your personal feelings to yourself.

</font>

Tom,
I hate to say this but I have to agree with you on that post you mentioned here. I almost did not finish reading your post for the same reason.

He he he, gotcha to read that

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-22-2001, 10:03 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
Tom,

I agree with you. SS with our Vtec V6 260 HP we would pass any average joe on the road, 90% of the time, save those corvettes, vipers, ferraris and Porshes they are totally in a different class.

</font>
Yeah, no matter what you drive, there will always be someone faster out there.......

But the CL-S is a pretty quick car for what it actually is........

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-22-2001, 10:08 PM
Race Director

Tom,
I never said that the Boxster S was a slow car that thing hauls ass. It is the regular Boxster that doesn't impress me much. I believe it is a V6 214 HP correct me if i'm wrong. A normal Boxster is not a quick car. All be it a very awesome sounding car and a girl attractor. the S however does fly. Sorry about the cursing I just get upset when people talk about Porsche's like they are god's gift. I much rather drive an M3, or a supercharged Jag. But 14.7 on the CL-S is nice. It is more of a luxury sport car, and to run that quick is good but you shouldn't be racing anything more than a plain jane automatic Boxster. also every 3 series besides a SS 330.
Old 04-22-2001, 10:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I found also that with rolling start the CLS is more impressive than just the 1/4 mile numbers.

CLS pcik up speed quickly! Moreover, within its weight class, 3500-3700 lb, 260 Hp, $30K price sting, 48k miles/ 4 year warranttee, and Honda reliablity. CLS is marvelous engineering feat

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps

Old 04-22-2001, 10:19 PM
Race Director

Actually this is a good time for a question. Does anyone have a clue what a 1998 Boxster does 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I'm relaly curious to find out as close to exact numbers for that. Thanks. Anthony
Old 04-22-2001, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Does Gtech count?

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-22-2001, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Bloody hell, people relax and just enjoy your cars.

Reality check one: There's always a bigger fish. There'll always be some L** Corvette with nitrous pushing 600HP through positraction out there that you *might* run up against. So what?

Reality check two: The whole point of this community is to interact with other enthusiasts and have a good time. If someone wants to drop the bottle to get a little boost at the track, fine by me. If he wants to go out trying to knock down Boxsters with it, great. I've driven a Boxster. I was not that impressed.

In Southern California every trust fund baby drives around in either a Boxster, a Benz or a 3-series Bimmer. All nice cars, don't get me wrong. I like them fine. The BiMW is particularly nice, and if it was a bit larger and a bit cheaper, I might be interested. At the moment, it's just not what I'm into.

The bottom line is that there'll always be cars you can beat and cars that you can't.. The fun part is figuring out which is which.

As long as you go into is with that attitude, it's a lot more fun.
Old 04-22-2001, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

But, you're totally missing my point. On average, the CL-S will just not keep up with a Porsche Boxster S. Why can't certain people here just accept this fact?

</font>
And you're totally missing my point (as usual). There are people who don't give a rat's behind about averages. If I beat a Boxster S to the next light, I could care less if his car is technically faster than mine. Why can't you just accept that fact? To make blanket statements saying "your car is not faster than this car or that car" is irrelevant. If beating cars I shouldn't beat due to extenuating circumstances makes me a magazine racer, then so be it. If I were to beat a Boxster S, I wouldn't go claiming that the CL-S is faster. I would however claim that I beat a Boxster S. What's the problem with that?
Old 04-22-2001, 10:59 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Who gives a shit if your car gets thumped by a 4cyl Dodge Caravan?

Too many people let their car define them as individuals.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:04 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I passed a guy driving an eclipse with his firend. I guess he thought I was racing him. he caught up with me at the HW. I was doing 80 in a 55 3-lane HW. So came fast at some 100+ and passed me and he slowed dowm, so if he said Yeah I beated a 260 HP CLS, what it's the deal? do I care... he got a POS. I got a CLS.

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
Old 04-22-2001, 11:05 PM
Racer

Sorry guys, I have to agree with Tom2. I bought my CL-S because because it has a lot of nice features for a great price. It's pretty fast in a straight line but I don't drive down a drag strip to work. I will never compare my car to a Porsche. Porsches have handling and braking to match their acceleration like any sports car should. If I had $65K+ to spend on a car I would get a 911 Carrera but I don't so I got what I feel is one of the best cars for the money.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nashua,
You want to get the best out of your car get grippy tires, then take it to the track and run those sub 15's. Also, maybe it's your track. People have posted as low is 14.4 timeslips, ever think it was you? Not starting a fight just an observation.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-22-2001, 11:19 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You know Tom2 I really don't like you to much but I feel the same way on most of the points you make including this one. I also hate the fact that people will only use Gtecs rather than going to the track. And then use that as an official time.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:21 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Yep, it might the track and the tires more than me. One thing I noticed is that after the first 60' where all the tire burning take place my stock tires got a grip. Moreover, I was running at Friday's night where slick are allowed Wednesday nights no slick tires only street tires. Once I get back my Nitto, I will be back again at the strip one of the wednesday night.

Anyway I will not be offended by anyone blaming me. After all I am still a novice drag racer and I need to learn.

Also, lowering pressure on the front tires would greatly help the grip.

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps

Old 04-22-2001, 11:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:
You know Tom2 I really don't like you to much but I feel the same way on most of the points you make including this one. I also hate the fact that people will only use Gtecs rather than going to the track. And then use that as an official time. </font>
Anyone who knows anything about timing know's Gtech's are not accurate. Show me a timeslip from a track, that turns heads.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-22-2001, 11:28 PM
Race Director

I guess the whole point here is just there are different classes of cars. The Cl-S is a great car it has all the options an awesome pricetag and is pretty damn quick for its class. Porsche, M-Series, Sl Mercedes, Vettes. Leave that up to the more power cars. I understand everyone wants to race everyone. Today some kid in a Civic Ex wanted to race me. I really pondered letting him go and not wasting my gas. But he had his girl in the car and I wanted to show him I could beat him and I got him by about 5 car lenghts to 60 MPH. Now I knew I could beat him and I knew the class we were in is the same. Now that is fun, racing someone in your class and winning. But to race these big power cars is just plain stupid. It is however fun to see how far they will push it. But CL-S still beats plain Boxster.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:03 AM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:
You know Tom2 I really don't like you to much but I feel the same way on most of the points you make including this one. I also hate the fact that people will only use Gtecs rather than going to the track. And then use that as an official time. </font>
LOL. Thanks, I think. Hey, you don't have to like me, just as long as you agree with me

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-23-2001, 12:06 AM
Unregistered Member

Gold,

Sorry, but I give up on you. I try to explain that you took my entire post out of context and that you're missing my point. You reply that I'm missing YOUR point. How can I be missing your point when you responded to MY original post?

This post had nothing to do with beating car X or anything. It was merely a reality check for people who live by magazine numbers alone.

I can't expect you to understand that if you insist on going back to Boxsters and CLs.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-23-2001, 12:16 AM
Race Director

Allright do magazines account for anyhting though, and what about that site car-stats.com how is that.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Ah, it is refreshing to see that I am not alone in thinking the CL-S isn't the rocket alot of ppl have made it out to be.

I don't dispute that some of the stories are true, but alot of them just make you go "hmmm" -- ie the M3/BMW 540 in particular.

My car, while dyno'ing at a decent number, just doesn't seem quite that "fast" (as a reference, I owned a turbo ITR previously) -- and I've complained of Civics + z24s beating me to stoplights unless I all-out floor my gas pedal.

The oem tires, tranny, and gearing all leave alot to be desired.

I like the car for what is is -- a good, comfortable everyday cruiser. If i only wanted speed and handling, i'd have stayed with my turbo ITR or ponied up the extra cash to buy the S4 I was also coveting at the time.

Oh, and try as I may, I cannot beat my friend's GS-R. He has just a CAI + headers and I have headers. He beats me every @#$!-time.

------------------
R.I.P Integra Type-R #932
Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Old 04-23-2001, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gold,

I try to explain that you took my entire post out of context and that you're missing my point.
</font>
Ok. Here's what you said:

"But, you're totally missing my point. On average, the CL-S will just not keep up with a Porsche Boxster S. Why can't certain people here just accept this fact?"

I gotta hand it to ya Tom, that's a stellar explanation.

And yet I "insist on going back to Boxsters and CLs."

Old 04-23-2001, 12:29 AM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgatour1:
Allright do magazines account for anyhting though, and what about that site car-stats.com how is that. </font>
That website is basically a compilation of magazine road test results. Good for a ballpark figure on any car's numbers, in my opinion.

But I certainly wouldn't take the numbers there as gospel........

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-23-2001, 12:32 AM
Drifting

I agree with Tom about the whole magazine racers thing. A magazine's 0-60 times are a reference to be compared with other cars. They are also a good indication of what that car is capable of doing. Those guys that test the cars are all great drivers, and get the best times. So thus gives you an idea of the potential. Take any guy off the street (like me) and they probably wouldn't be able to get a Vette to 60 in 6 seconds. All depends on the driver. Thats why I sometimes fear racing automatics as opposed to manuals. There is less chance for error in auto cars. And about the Boxster, I've driven an auto Boxster some time ago, so I dont remember how fast it was compared to our CL-S's, but I do remember that when I drove it, it was pretty darn quick, and I loved it. Boxsters are not overrated at all. There's more to a car than outright speed.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:33 AM
Unregistered Member

Crippen,

Yeah, it seems a few of the more enthusiastic posters do need a reality check.

Like I said all along- the CL-S is a relatively quick grand touring car. It's far from a drag strip terror.

Do you remember me from H/A net? (Tom, without the 2)

Actually, I was Tom here also until Soopa banned me and I had to re-register as Tom2.

My CL-S is history now, but I still have the M3.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3

Quick Reply: Too many "magazine racers" on this board