Tollway Tickets - Ipass

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tollway Tickets - Ipass

I've had an Ipass for a while in the TL, and just got one for the CL. There is a guy that I work with who had a speeding ticket mailed to him because his time between toll booths was tracked, and they calculated that he was speeding.

Has anyone else had this happen with similar electronic toll devices?

I am almost thinking of taking both Ipasses with me and alternating them so they can't track my time from booth to booth.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I dont see how that can fly... I mean how do they know he was on the expressway the whole time, maybe he got off, and took side streets for a short cut and then got back on the expressway? I know that is a hard to do, but im just saying...

Our new rules and poilcies are starting to get on my nerves.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:44 PM
Team Owner

We just got EZ-Pass in my area (which sounds like the same thing) and I was worried about this very issue.

From what I heard, these tickets are REAL easy to beat if you ever get one.
The state has to prove that all the clocks are properly calibrated and certified.
And they all need to run off ONE master clock.

There was an article in our local paper that they don’t plan to do this because the system doesn’t meet those criteria.

Shawn S
Old 02-17-2002, 06:44 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another way the government can track anyone!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:48 AM
Instructor

I was thinking of getting 2 units also.

I wonder if they just started doing this because I used to drive on 355 everyday going to school and back. I would drive a minimum of 80 the whole way and I never received any tickets.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by Rymnrsn

I wonder if they just started doing this because I used to drive on 355 everyday going to school and back. I would drive a minimum of 80 the whole way and I never received any tickets.

yea but thats only like one toll way... rite?
Old 02-18-2002, 01:02 AM
Drifting

that's messed up...
Old 02-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Crazy AcurA

yea but thats only like one toll way... rite?

No - I would pay a toll at armytrail and at maple.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tollway Tickets - Ipass

Originally posted by Kahn Man
I've had an Ipass for a while in the TL, and just got one for the CL. There is a guy that I work with who had a speeding ticket mailed to him because his time between toll booths was tracked, and they calculated that he was speeding.

Has anyone else had this happen with similar electronic toll devices?

I am almost thinking of taking both Ipasses with me and alternating them so they can't track my time from booth to booth.
That would suck! Illinois has been saying that they have no intentions of using I-Pass to track speeding.

Was this in Illinois? I have I-Pass in both cars and this would really pi$$ me off!
Old 02-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Rymnrsn

No. It's not a recent thing. I think he told me about it at least 6-8 months ago. And honestly I don't remember if it was on I-90 or 294 or 355. Maybe I should ask....
Old 02-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Buckle Up

I've heard of that happening. Happened to a neighbor of mine. But instead of a ticket by mail...at the 3rd toll booth there was a cop waiting.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Instructor

I could swear this summer I saw an IDOT official on ABC 7 news stating they would not use IPASS to try and nail speeders. He stated they would refrain from using IPASS for law enforcement for fear that people would not use IPASS. I just got it last week, but if this is true I'm going to reconsider my purchase.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tktommy
I could swear this summer I saw an IDOT official on ABC 7 news stating they would not use IPASS to try and nail speeders. He stated they would refrain from using IPASS for law enforcement for fear that people would not use IPASS. I just got it last week, but if this is true I'm going to reconsider my purchase.
Well that's a good point... From a marketing standpoint, I would assume the state knows that if word gets out that you can get a ticket from this, that no one would sign on. Like I said, this happened several months ago, so maybe they have phased it out since then. I wish someone knew for sure though...
Old 02-18-2002, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have smart tag in my area and though they haven't timed speeders, they are cracking down by having cops after the toll booths taking pictures of speeders and mailing the tickets.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I emailed and got an answer

Based on this thread, I e-mailed the Illinois Tollway Authority with the following question:

Does Illinois plan to use I-Pass to enforce speed limits?

Their response:

Thank you for your e-mail. At this time we have no plans to do so. However,
I-PASS customers can have their I-PASS privileges cancelled for traveling
through I-PASS Only lanes at excessive speeds.

Seems like they're keeping their options open with the "At this time we have no plans to do so".

As for driving too fast through I-Pass lanes, unless they station cops, or install photo radar, I don't know how they'll enforce this.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Instructor

With the projected revenue short fall in the state of Illinois budget, they may look at this(speeding tickets using IPASS or ) as a potential revenue stream. Of course, once the word got out, I think people would avoid using the IPASS system. Here the state does something that benefits drivers and could potentially screw it up.

One thing I'd like to see the state do- go after the morons who drive 10 miles under the limit and park them selves in the left "passing" lane. It's usually a Buick or Saturn with an old guy with his driving cap on. To mean these folks are almost as dangerous as people who drive excessively fast. With these "drivers" serving as a moving obstacle, those of us who enjoy driving the speed limit (or a little more) are forced to manuver around them, thus potentially disrupting the safe flow of traffic.