Toll booth showdown!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toll booth showdown!

I was on my home from work in Orlando using the 528 toll road. As I approached the last toll booth I notice I’m coming up on a black 2001 Nissan Maxima SE. As I come up beside him entering the opposite toll booth lane he looks over at me and points his finger forward. I’m sure he was thinking as I was, “Lets see what the Nissan Maxima flagship can do against Acura’s CL flagship. We both knew that coming out of the toll booth it was a straight shot to the 70 mph speed limit. His toll booth operator must have been faster than mine because as I was getting my change I heard a loud tire bark from the other toll booth lane. I immediately soft pedaled my CLS to 5 mph then buried the go pedal to the fire wall. I let out my own tire bark and saw the traction control light flash one time. As I cleared the toll booth barrier I was looking at the Maxima’s tail lights (damn slow toll both operator!). I thought, "there is no way I’ll catch him now he’s too far ahead", but I was wrong. About 2 seconds later my front door was at his back door and I was closing fast. Two seconds after that and nearing 70 mph I was even with him to slightly ahead. We both continued flat out to 80 where the CLS had taken the lead by about half a car length. I lifted at 80 because the FHP patrols this road like sharks with blood in the water. I looked over as I passed and he was pounding on his steering wheel shouting GO, GO, GO. We closed up again back at 70 and he gave me the big thumbs up and mouthed the words, “I’m impressed"! To be honest I was impressed too as well as somewhat shocked. I initially thought there was no way I could spot a Maxima SE a car length and then beat him to 80 mph, but my CLS did. I don’t use my CLS’ acceleratory powers very often as the commute has me concentrating on gas mileage. However, much to a Maxima driver’s dismay I burned up some extra fuel on this day.
Old 01-30-2001, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Did you notice his shifting? Was it an auto or a 5speed?? I'm thinking it had to be an auto, because it would probably take us all the way to 110mph to catch an SE 5-speed who got a car lead on the start! If it was an auto, I'm not surprised - they're at least a full second slower to 60mph than us.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
PIAA 19169
Old 01-30-2001, 11:39 AM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Did you notice his shifting? Was it an auto or a 5speed?? I'm thinking it had to be an auto, because it would probably take us all the way to 110mph to catch an SE 5-speed who got a car lead on the start! If it was an auto, I'm not surprised - they're at least a full second slower to 60mph than us.

</font>
It had to be an auto tranny. He couldn't have shifted gears with both hands pounding on the steering wheel.

Old 01-30-2001, 11:48 AM
Soon to be, fairly famous

Maybe he has a prehensile...uhh...never mind.

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 01-30-2001, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
I passed and he was pounding on his steering wheel shouting GO, GO, GO. </font>

Hahaha ROFL Civics and Integra's bedoing that when I pass them too.

Yeah I take a toll road to go to work and its road rage speeding all the way for like 9 miles. Never any cops.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 01-30-2001, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bone_Stock,
"CLS’ acceleratory powers" ...... I like it! I would expect this verbiage from Acura ads found in the "New Yorker" or "National Review"; CL-S combines sophisticated styling with extreme acceleratory powers ....... LOL
Old 01-30-2001, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
I was on my home from work in Orlando using the 528 toll road. </font>
You live in Melbourne but work in Orlando?? Isn't that about an hour??
Old 01-30-2001, 05:13 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scalbert:
You live in Melbourne but work in Orlando?? Isn't that about an hour??</font>
That is correct! 56 minutes there and 56 back. It's strange though I can never get the navi to register less miles than time even though that is the case most of the time. It shows equal sometimes, but never less miles than time.

[This message has been edited by bone_stock (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old 01-30-2001, 05:19 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tsg77:
Bone_Stock,
"CLS’ acceleratory powers" ...... I like it! I would expect this verbiage from Acura ads found in the "New Yorker" or "National Review"; CL-S combines sophisticated styling with extreme acceleratory powers ....... LOL
</font>
What can I say? I have an A.A. in English and it just comes out some times.