Tightening Up Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightening Up Shifter?

Hey guys

I have a 6 speed swapped accord, but I figured Id post here since I used 99% of CL-S parts to do the conversion.

I drove on the OEM shifter for about a day before I put in the PSPEC short shifter, which is awesome.

This is probably more on the anal side of things, but is there any way to make the shifter even more "firm?"

The PSPEC short shifter came with aluminum bushings, and i removed my brand new Acura bushings I used for a day, so I dont know if there was too much of a difference made.

What are the CorSport aluminum shift cable bushings I keep hearing about? Will they make the shifter more firm? As in, less side to side play? I have about a few mm of motion in the shifter I want to get rid of (or is this as good as its going to get?)

Please keep in mind theres probably less than 2k miles on all the parts. So I'm not sure if replacing the shift cable bushings would do much since my cables are brand new.

Thanks

Last edited by e r y k; 07-01-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The aluminum shift cable bushings should stiffen it up noticeably. This is one thing I noticed going from my old Integra with poly shifter bushings to my Z28 with a Hurst shifter.... my old shifter was sloppy like a wet noodle on both my Integra and Camaro. Granted the Integra shifter was stock and it had 160k on it, but still...

Never tried it on a Honda but on an MR2 brass shifter cable bushings tighten it up really nice. It makes it feel like the shifter is made with only metal parts... not necessarily harsh but it feels really solid.

I googled PSPEC really quick and I noticed the short shifter is adjustable? I didn't see any pics but if you shorten the lever it should stiffen up the feel quite a bit. I went from a 6.5" shift lever to a 6" on my Camaro and it made it really stiff, which I like..... err you know what I mean.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Haha, thanks for the response. I guess I'm more worried that the shift cable bushings wont do much since its pretty much brand new. From what I understand, over a period of time, the rubber bushing wears out which gives it the slop.

Yes PSPEC is adjsutable, height and throw. I have the short shifter down pretty much all the way. I can get it a bit lower, but it is a bit unnatural, cause all the v6 accords were never meant to be manual, the center console armrest gets in the way.

I hear ya on the hurst shifter, my buddy has one on his 05 mustang, and wow, that thing makes my short shifter feel liek a regular long throw lol.

But I guess for 35 bucks I really cant go wrong with the bushings.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
You could build a custom rod shifter to replace our sloppy cable shifter. I'm sure a lot of 6-speed owners would love one.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Instructor

I dont know how easy that would be. Doesnt seem very feasible if you can see how the cables are run from the console to the tranny.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by e r y k
I dont know how easy that would be. Doesnt seem very feasible if you can see how the cables are run from the console to the tranny.
I know. I was joking really. It'd be awesome but not something I think will ever happen. One of my previous cars had rod shifters in a couple year models and cable in others so the rods became a hot item. Made for much more positive shifts.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
gotta revive this one, when the shifter is in gear, I feel a little bit of play side to side and a small click, like something needs to be tightened or something. Not a big deal, but I have to have that perfect feeling, ya know. I also have P-Spec Sport shifter set at almost the lowest setting.

A helms manual would be great to see where the cables end up so they can be tightened at both ends or something.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,353 Likes on 4,915 Posts
If you look down on the top of the tranny, you should see the two cables. Theres no real way to "tighten" them.

I got the Corsport aluminum bushings with the Pspec shifter and the shifter feel is excellent.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
If you look down on the top of the tranny, you should see the two cables. Theres no real way to "tighten" them.

I got the Corsport aluminum bushings with the Pspec shifter and the shifter feel is excellent.
Yeah, I saw those, with the cotter pics, right? I shifted the gears from the engine bay, lol.

Hey Civicdrivr, can you do me a favor and check to see if there is ANY play at all if you wiggle the that part underhood that has the counter weight? You know what I am talking about if you've seen it, it's like a solid metal cylinder weight attached to the opposite end of the bushing. See if you can wiggle it up and down at all, even half a mm (not sideways, I know it's got a little play that way which I wish I could get rid of, but anyway). I already ordered those bushings. They are easy to install, right? Thanks.

I can't stand even an insignificant thing like this while I drive, everything has to be absolutely perfect or else I get slightly depressed, lol. BTW, did you read my post about the wheel shimy you were getting in the rain? I posted a link for you to read in that thread.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM

Mine has a slight bit of play. Its not 100% solid, but the shifter bushings make it feel great. They take less then 30mins to install. Just undo to old cotter pin, pop out the old bushing (I put a screwdriver through the hole in the bushing and twisted sideways and it popped right out), put some grease on the new bushings and pop the them in place. Its really easy and straight foward.

Im heading to that thread right not btw. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
i have the neuspeed short shifter kit and cut down and welded the shifter rod. mines tight, not sloppy.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 PM

When I say slight bit of play, I mean its got a mm or two of play side to side.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

When I say slight bit of play, I mean its got a mm or two of play side to side.
howabout up and down (the unatural direction of movement opposit of the swing) if that makes sense. like if you wiggle the weighted end as if you were trying to take it off the transmission case. Side to side, it will have a little play, I know.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i used the 05 trans so i have a bolt holding my shifter cables to the shift linkge by the trans. a twist here can make the cable super firm or a little loose.

mine is super firm

:thatswhatshesaid:
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eryck... Also trying to tighten up my shifter... Going to order the bushings, but I'll be damned if I can find a short throw shift kit anywhere. Cannot find the PSPEC anywhere and the Neuspeed seems to be out of production. Any current vendors you know of selling these kits? Thanks and good luck with your project.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
custom
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CLSspeedx
Eryck... Also trying to tighten up my shifter... Going to order the bushings, but I'll be damned if I can find a short throw shift kit anywhere. Cannot find the PSPEC anywhere and the Neuspeed seems to be out of production. Any current vendors you know of selling these kits? Thanks and good luck with your project.
PSPEC is there on their site, but you ask for the accord version, they just replace a screw to accomodate the CL.

It won't tighten up the play, it'll be fun as hell tho.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Racer

phee.. Damn I have enough custom stuff on my plate ATM lol. Thanks.

thanks for the info rondog! I was thinking of trying the accord one, glad they will accomodate the CL.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Racer

phee.. Damn I have enough custom stuff on my plate ATM lol. Thanks.

thanks for the info rondog! I was thinking of trying the accord one, glad they will accomodate the CL.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Mine has a slight bit of play. Its not 100% solid, but the shifter bushings make it feel great. They take less then 30mins to install. Just undo to old cotter pin, pop out the old bushing (I put a screwdriver through the hole in the bushing and twisted sideways and it popped right out), put some grease on the new bushings and pop the them in place. Its really easy and straight foward.

Im heading to that thread right not btw. Thanks.
Hey, I just installed mine, thanks for the tips. You didn't re-use the circular plate that was originally on top of the old bushing, did you? I used the new aluminum bushing with the cotter pin and a "C" shaped snap in metal piece into the aluminum bushing groove on top.

Didn't drive it yet, but already, the shifter feels great, little tighter and more snikitty-snakitty if you know what I mean. Funny how this little mod makes such a difference. Almost felt like it was a placebo effect, but hey, whatever works!

Can't wait to drive the kids to school tomorrow and row thru the gears!!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM

I dont believe I reused the metal plate, but Ill take a look.