For Those of You Who Change Your Own Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Those of You Who Change Your Own Oil

It's me again...

Because of the filter positioning, you can pre-charge the oil filter. Yes, the factory filter holds about 1/4 quart. It absorbs into the filter media, so you'll want to fill it a few times to complete the pre-charge. For your final fill, don't top it off - only fill it to below the thread line or you'll have a mess on your hands.

Mint
Old 10-07-2001, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Isn't that common sense?
Old 10-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Powered By HONDA

that is ok ..i always have my cls' oil chagne at acura dealership..they are special techicians and they have the right tools.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:58 PM
BigPimpShyne

Hey that's good, wanna mint ...Shyne
Old 10-07-2001, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Type S:
<STRONG>that is ok ..i always have my cls' oil chagne at acura dealership..they are special techicians and they have the right tools. </STRONG>
You mean like a cash register that calculates labor costs exponentially?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:14 PM
Race Director

Whatever folks. If you change the oil yourself and replace it with the same oil as the dealership, {I'm going to say this so go ahead and flame}, you are cheap. Plain and simple. The price of an oil change is not so high that you just have to do it yourself. Of course there are some circumstances (Acura dealership 100 miles away, you work 5am-9pm, you actually enjoy doing it, etc.) but those who change their own oil on a [like] new car will one day be the ones that say "I'm having oil pressure problems, must be an Acura defect, we need a recall."

Pay the $35 and forget about it. I thought I left this type of mentality behind with the Pontiac drivers; apparently not. Maybe I need to keep moving on, to a Bimmer. j/k
Old 10-07-2001, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele:
<STRONG>Whatever folks. If you change the oil yourself and replace it with the same oil as the dealership, {I'm going to say this so go ahead and flame}, you are cheap. Plain and simple. The price of an oil change is not so high that you just have to do it yourself. Of course there are some circumstances (Acura dealership 100 miles away, you work 5am-9pm, you actually enjoy doing it, etc.) but those who change their own oil on a [like] new car will one day be the ones that say "I'm having oil pressure problems, must be an Acura defect, we need a recall."

Pay the $35 and forget about it. I thought I left this type of mentality behind with the Pontiac drivers; apparently not. Maybe I need to keep moving on, to a Bimmer. j/k</STRONG>
My dealer does it for 20.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:46 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not jsut .....It is for $20( Special) or $29,99(regular) or $55 (Mobil 1), it just one addition step in learning what is under the hood and what is between the tires ...

I would love to know about each pieces and nuts of the $33,400 I paid for...

If I am ignorant and like to be that way then I am stupid ignorant... else, if I wanted to change the fact of being ignorant about my CLS to an experet about CLS then I will be happy guy....

BTW, I got waived by a TL-S owner when we stopped at Scenic Overlook on Today's Trip to Kanawanamagus HW (Rt. 112) in NH.

270 miles of fun trip...That will tell us all, that the Type-S is a special car indeed.

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Nashua_Night_Hawk ]
Old 10-07-2001, 10:58 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i knew a guy once that his van fell on him, broken ribs and a punctured lung, now i know the people in here will say he didn't have it on blocks or whatever, but the bottom line, my time is more valuable than the price of an oil change not to mention my health, i don't get paid to work on my car, i pay others to do it for me, so what if it cost, its not that much, i have to buy clothes (no time to stitch my own) have to buy food (don't have a farm) - alot of cheap people out there i guess

p.s. just friday a car was towed into our dealership, guy didn't want to pay "us" to change his oil, wrong filter, engine is blown.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I usually change oil by the dealership if I have to take my car in for any work and an oil change is necessary($24), otherwise I do it by my friends shop..if his mechanics are busy, I do it myself..When putting in the filter, I usually pre-fill the filter 3/4 of the way and then rub a little oil on the rubber seal on top of the filter to ensure it gets a good seal, then I put the filter back on, tighten the drain bolt, lower the car and fill oil as needed...
Ed
Old 10-08-2001, 12:07 AM
TRELOS

Damm Shyne don't u ever shut the fuck up. Man, go the the TL forum where u belong no one likes u here, u don't even have a TL for cryin out loud. So get ur head out ur ass and ur ass in the TL forum.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by kensteele:
<STRONG>Whatever folks. If you change the oil yourself and replace it with the same oil as the dealership, {I'm going to say this so go ahead and flame}, you are cheap. Plain and simple. The price of an oil change is not so high that you just have to do it yourself. Of course there are some circumstances (Acura dealership 100 miles away, you work 5am-9pm, you actually enjoy doing it, etc.) but those who change their own oil on a [like] new car will one day be the ones that say "I'm having oil pressure problems, must be an Acura defect, we need a recall."

Pay the $35 and forget about it. I thought I left this type of mentality behind with the Pontiac drivers; apparently not. Maybe I need to keep moving on, to a Bimmer. j/k</STRONG>
For the same price as the dealer (or Jiffy Lube for that matter), I can change it myself and get synthetic oil. It really doesn't take that long, and I do enjoy the process.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by acura_service:
<STRONG>p.s. just friday a car was towed into our dealership, guy didn't want to pay "us" to change his oil, wrong filter, engine is blown.</STRONG>
That is so FUNNY in a SAD kind of way.

Shawn S
Old 10-08-2001, 09:24 AM
Instructor

agree with Vince; i just like doing it myself. if its really cold I'll have dealer do it. but i also like the savings---having a Mobil1 change for 20$ does it for me
Old 10-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Instructor

I have been changing oil in my cars since I bought my first car in 1958 and like doing it. I know the oil I am putting in the engine and I buy the best oil filter I can find, not the cheap Honda filter used by Acura dealers. It is easy to do on my CLS and takes less time than driving to my Acura dealer and waiting for the oil change. It's therapy for me.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Unless it is free from the dealer I'll chnage it myself and maybe even do so even if it is free. It has nothing to do with the cost. It has more to do with time and knowing it is done correctly.

Including going to the store and buying the oil/filter I can have it changed in twenty minutes. It will take at least this long to get to the dealer. I greatly value my time and try to evaluate the cost involved. In doing so, the value in the dealer doing the simple service is a complete waste. Not to mention the extra time freed up to go to the lake, do some serious driving, etc...

Heck, I've even performed warrantee work to safe the time and irritation of makking the trip to the dealer.

But there is one other aspect to doing some of the service myself, some sort of bonding experience with the vehicle (keep the sick jokes to a minimum here)!!
Old 10-08-2001, 12:49 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by scalbert:
<STRONG>Unless it is free from the dealer I'll chnage it myself and maybe even do so even if it is free. It has nothing to do with the cost. It has more to do with time and knowing it is done correctly.

Including going to the store and buying the oil/filter I can have it changed in twenty minutes. It will take at least this long to get to the dealer. I greatly value my time and try to evaluate the cost involved. In doing so, the value in the dealer doing the simple service is a complete waste. Not to mention the extra time freed up to go to the lake, do some serious driving, etc...

Heck, I've even performed warrantee work to safe the time and irritation of makking the trip to the dealer.

But there is one other aspect to doing some of the service myself, some sort of bonding experience with the vehicle (keep the sick jokes to a minimum here)!!</STRONG>
Damn, that's why I haven't been able to get out to the lake lately. Stupid oil changes at the dealership. :p