Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BlackShadow
Cause maybe Honda thinks that the TLs are more sportier looking than the CLs.
Or maybe because you see 100 TL’s for every CL on the road.
Quicker payback on the development costs.

Shawn S
Old 03-04-2002, 01:06 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2ndtrannycls
unless you feel like losing your ass once again on the depreciation, buy an MDX...I like the CL and TL better but after looking at the resale on the MDX vs Cl I'm thinking I should have bought one:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/acura/index.html#cl
I think you posted this in the wrong thread.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:08 PM
O.G.

Don't take anything personal guys, just bustin your chops.

BTW, I still don't like the CL-S rear end.:P
Old 03-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

Believe me, it has to do with cost because they know that the kits for the CLS will sell. I mean if they have a kit for a boring family 4dr tl:pfawk:, why would they not want to make one for the sporty car of the line up, ie the CLS.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:09 PM
'Cooter

So how do you explained that the majority of people on this board are complaining about NOT having a bodykit?
u don't see members of this board making the decisions to offer a bodykit or not, now do u?? fact is Acura doesn't see the need b/c the CL is sporty looking enough.

if the Accord 2 door looks more sporty than the sedan, y isn't the CL more sporty lookin than the TL??

only reason the TL's come with a bodykit is b/c Acura wanted to distinguish the bodystyle moreso than the same ol TL styling dating back to the later 90's.
Safety Car

Don't take anything personal guys, just bustin your chops.

BTW, I still don't like the CL-S rear end.:P

Cause all you get to see IS the rear end. Thats the problem :P
Racer

Wow, didn't think I was going to start this long of a conversation on the topic. Thanks for all of the info. Truth be known, the reason I started thinking about getting the TL is 1) I didn't get Navi with my CL and I'd like to have it. 2) went to biloxi this weekend and I drank a whole lot so I had to ride in the back alot b/c I was with my fiance and my mom (my mom is disabled so I had to ride in the back) and it really sucked. So in a sense I havea need for the 4 door. So I guess I'll just have to see how the numbers work out. It sucks though, I just did my sub in my CL about a month ago.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:44 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by BigPimp

Cause all you get to see IS the rear end. Thats the problem :P
I don't mind seeing the rear end of your car since it is faster than mine but damn Acura could've done a better job than that.

BTW scooter, you are taking this too seriously.:o
Old 03-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by NoleCLS
Wow, didn't think I was going to start this long of a conversation on the topic. Thanks for all of the info. Truth be known, the reason I started thinking about getting the TL is 1) I didn't get Navi with my CL and I'd like to have it. 2) went to biloxi this weekend and I drank a whole lot so I had to ride in the back alot b/c I was with my fiance and my mom (my mom is disabled so I had to ride in the back) and it really sucked. So in a sense I havea need for the 4 door. So I guess I'll just have to see how the numbers work out. It sucks though, I just did my sub in my CL about a month ago.

How did i miss this thread! Real good points you made, but if its that easy for you to trade your car in for a TLS, then do it. But not a great move money wise. Personaly I would go get a aftermarket navi/video unit and get it installed. As for the back seats.... its TIGHT AS HELL in the back of the TLS as well. I dont find them comfortable at all. But then again im never back there. So for money... what would your CLS go for used? Not much im sure, maybe 25k if you are lucky? Then a good priced TLS with navi will be around 31,500 and such, 6k total loss just for you being uncomfortable being in the back seat when you are drunk, i that worth it? But thats just me. Oh and TLS is better than the CLS!! :P
Old 03-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Instructor

If I could have waited another 3 weeks I would have bought a TL-S in the first place. When I traded in my CL-P for my TL-S the dealer gave me what I paid for it, which was $26,200.00 (had the car for 4 months and 3 weeks). The car also had around 5100 miles on it.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:00 PM
'Cooter

I don't mind seeing the rear end of your car since it is faster than mine but damn Acura could've done a better job than that.

BTW scooter, you are taking this too seriously.:o
nah, bud...i already said it's all good...i admit initially i was pissed at Astro, but that went away quckly
Old 03-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BigPimp
And ya know, we dont know if the Bodykit is not coming for the CLS because every type slow in the Acura line up has one except the CLS, so it might be coming for all you know.
Yep, and Acura gave the CL-S the 6spd because its more sporty. The TL is a family sedan and has no need for a standard.

Just like 5% of the Maximas sold are 5spds....and they don't have the best resale because they are manuals in a family cruiser.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter

nah, bud...i already said it's all good...i admit initially i was pissed at Astro, but that went away quckly

dude, why would you be pissed?
I was only stating exactly what I have experienced after owning a CL-S for 2 yrs and 55,000kms and now my TL-S for 6 months...

Also, my head mechanic at the dealership has raced the TL-S vs the CL-S about 40 times because he can't understand why the TL-S WINS 90% of the time....

maybe it's cuz of lighter wheels? that honestly could make the difference....

and the TL doors close more solidly than the CLs ever did and it IS MUCH quieter on the highway when cruising....

I've owned 10+ cars already in my life and I am pretty confident in my observations...
Old 03-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Not to be rude or anything but your are a dumbass if you believe that.

Originally posted by Astroboy

I was only stating exactly what I have experienced after owning a CL-S for 2 yrs and 55,000kms and now my TL-S for 6 months...

Also, my head mechanic at the dealership has raced the TL-S vs the CL-S about 40 times because he can't understand why the TL-S WINS 90% of the time....

and the TL doors close more solidly than the CLs ever did and it IS MUCH quieter on the highway when cruising....

I've owned 10+ cars already in my life and I am pretty confident in my observations...
Old 03-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally posted by Speedy3.2CL-S
Not to be rude or anything but your are a dumbass if you believe that.

not to be rude or anything, tell me that again when you have bought, paid for and driven extensively both a CL-S and TL-S.
thanks anyways.

nice grammar dumbass
Old 03-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

NO LOOK PRICE
2002 CL-S + Nav
$24,000.

Pacific NW Area.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:56 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you posted this in the wrong thread.
The 1st post in this thread was:

Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS
and I'm trying to find out how much I can get for my 2002 CL Type S. It is approx. 10,000 miles. I tried to find a value on kelly blue book but it says there is not enough turnover for them to put a value on the car?

Anyone have any ideas?
I was responding to the post above(...notice the hyper link to Edmunds.com in my response??). I was just saying that if money was a big issue, trading on an MDX is a better bet if hes gonna trade again in the future rather than getting a TL (as far as depreciation is concerned of course, not performance). From reading your posts I think you've started your own thread inside this one...
Old 03-04-2002, 05:41 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Astroboy

well for starters, telling me "u just don't have a clue" immediately pissed me off...it's like yeah, i've owned my car since 7/00, and i don't have a clue...right...then when Ernie told me u've owned both cars (since i didn't know u've owned a CL before), i figured u weren't just shootin your mouth off b/c u had a TL, so i was like whatever with it.

r u saying lighter stock wheels make the difference between who's faster??? cuz if that's what u're saying, that still doesn't explain the fact that the TL is about 50 pounds heavier than the CL...but if your friend is using aftermkt's, it's an apples to oranges comparison with the CL stock wheels...the CL will b faster than the TL no matter what, provided that all mods are done to both cars...im sorry, i just don't accept 90% of the time the TL winning...show me time slips, and i'll gladly apologize for doubting.

seeing as tho im only 24 and have not owned 10+ cars like u, i decided to ask a friend of mine who's over 60 years old on the trainride home tonight...cars he's owned throughout the years include a Porsche 911, BMW 330 convertible, Mercedes ML320, and a '97 TL...he decided to trade in his TL for something else...he tried the '02 TLS and liked it, but his exact words were "it's too much of a sedan and not enough sport to it. the CL is much more sporty since that's what it was made for."...he opted for the ML320 since his wife didn't want either a coupe or sedan.

and thank u for proving my point...the TL is a quieter ride than the CL, which is characteristic of a touring car, not a sporty car

this whole argument should just b a stalemate...everyone thinks what he/she wants to bout the CL's/TL's, and that's that
Old 03-04-2002, 05:45 PM
STi

You guys still debating this damnnn...
Old 03-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless there is a necessity........NO FOUR DOOR CARS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by Nicky Pass
Unless there is a necessity........NO FOUR DOOR CARS!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont be mad that my "family car" can kick your "sports car's" ASS!! :P :P
Old 03-04-2002, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
IMO

Our boaty yuppie hauling value luxury with a little sportiness cars are fast but I would not say really sporty when I have to invest the better part of a grand to make a truly feel sporty. I don't consider a car to be sporty when I take a turn and I feel like I'm in a cadillac LOL. My last car was a mitsubishi GSX (all wheel drive turbo) now that was sporty! I feel our cars are luxury before sporty and IMO if I could trade up to a TLS I would. I like the cosmetic changes more and I'm tired of the reach around into the back seat I want rear doors LOL. Then again... lately I have been thinking of an MDX as my next vehicle so I may just be in a funny mood...

Old 03-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol

they are both TOURING CARS.

neither is a sports car.

crazy enough less rotating mass (wheel) = more acceleration

why the ricers take the hub caps off

but, i dunno why you guys are arguing... go buy a real sports car already! and stop arguing about your touring cars ;-)

hehe
Old 03-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Scooter, the TLs and CLs that my mechanic friend has been running are all stock versions...
the TL rims are smaller than the CL rims, so they are prolly lighter... 4-5 pounds per rim less weight is more than enough to make up for 50 pounds of sprung weight...

also, the TL has a slightly longer wheelbase making for better ride on the highway...

I just meant that you don't have a clue cuz you haven't had both cars, no dis respect.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Safety Car

Both of these cars are pretty much boaty luxury, except that one has 2drs and the other has 4drs. It's likely that the 4dr version is quieter, I am not sure as I dont spend much time in it (have an 02 TL in the family).
Both of these cars sit too high, weight distribution sucks, and they need better tires stock. You need to spend at least a G to make them ride somewhat better, meaning springs, struts, sways, tires.

So 4dr gets you better utility and a different look. TL is a hot seller, so it seems that people's vote is that its a better choice. Done.