Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS

and I'm trying to find out how much I can get for my 2002 CL Type S. It is approx. 10,000 miles. I tried to find a value on kelly blue book but it says there is not enough turnover for them to put a value on the car?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-04-2002, 08:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its like most cars expect to lose somewhere between 3-7k

Old 03-04-2002, 08:19 AM
'Cooter

Re: Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS

Originally posted by NoleCLS
and I'm trying to find out how much I can get for my 2002 CL Type S. It is approx. 10,000 miles. I tried to find a value on kelly blue book but it says there is not enough turnover for them to put a value on the car?

Anyone have any ideas?
first off, y do u want a TLS???

second, as for value, i'd say roughly $27-28K, depending on if u have navi...mileage will hurt u some, but the sheer fact that it's gonna b like 6 months or less age-wise will help maintain some value...that's what i'd b asking
Old 03-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the TLS was out when I got my CLS I would have picked the TLS.. However, CLS seats are better....
Old 03-04-2002, 08:43 AM
O.G.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

Don’t forget to bring LUBE, because it’s gonna hurt DRY.

Shawn S
Old 03-04-2002, 08:57 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Also, wait a year or so and go with 04' 330 HP TLS! 4WD or RWD ? maybe.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:59 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Shawn S
Don’t forget to bring LUBE, because it’s gonna hurt DRY.

Shawn S
pretty nasty, but whatever tickles yer pickle

i still don't understand y anyone would wanna go from a CLS to a TLS...it's a 4-door sedan...a, shall i say, family car!!!...unless u got babies on the way, it doesn't make any sense to me...modding up a TLS like a CLS doesn't take away the fact that it's a family car!!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 AM
O.G.

Originally posted by Scooter

pretty nasty, but whatever tickles yer pickle

i still don't understand y anyone would wanna go from a CLS to a TLS...it's a 4-door sedan...a, shall i say, family car!!!...unless u got babies on the way, it doesn't make any sense to me...modding up a TLS like a CLS doesn't take away the fact that it's a family car!!
But it's one fast ass family sedan that can beat a few coupes out there!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:05 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
Scooter, you just don't have a clue...
the TL-S is a nicer, more refined version of the CL-S....and when you take friends anywhere, they don't scuff the shit out of your seats and console as they climb into the back seat...

not to mention that it's quieter and faster.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

A baby is on the way
Old 03-04-2002, 09:11 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by BlackShadow

But it's one fast ass family sedan that can beat a few coupes out there!
ok, we can have the same exact argument with the new Altima, which is a family sedan, but it's 0-60 in 5.8 seconds...faster than the TLS...i personally don't care that a sedan can beat my car...i look at the overall package...a car has to LOOK sporty as well as act sporty to qualify as a sporty car...the TLS and Altima are NOT sporty looking...ground effects on the TLS is a feeble attempt to look sporty...sedans simply do not have the lines and curves to look sporty...coupes do...period.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:17 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Astroboy
the TL-S is a nicer, more refined version of the CL-S....and when you take friends anywhere, they don't scuff the shit out of your seats and console as they climb into the back seat...

i took 3 friends 5 hours up to Boston for the weekend with no problems...climbing in and out of a coupe from the back seat is like so ridiculous of an argument if that's gonna change your mind from a coupe to a sedan...more like pathetic

nicer??? more refined??? it's the same friggin interior!!! and the CL headrests are better than the TL's.

so since u haven't mentioned anything about the exterior lines and curves, i'll assume i won that argument...and since the interior is the same for both cars, the ONLY difference is rear passengers getting in and out of the car...(see 2nd sentence)
Old 03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
'Cooter

o, and since when does a car that weighs 50 pounds more with the same engine make it faster???
Old 03-04-2002, 09:34 AM
'Cooter

i guess bottom line is personal preference...i prefer the CLS b/c of the look, the feel, and performance of the car...i personally don't see the logic in converting to the TLS, unless u got kids, in which case, i'd agree it's a real reason to switch...it's all good
Old 03-04-2002, 09:35 AM
STi

Re: Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS

Originally posted by NoleCLS

Anyone have any ideas?
Whatever floats your boat then do it....
Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Th only reson he wants to switch is b/c the TL-S can be had w/ a body-kit

But seriously, despite the slight tranny issues w/the Cl-s (also present on the TL-S), the Cl-s has been less problematic than the Tl-s's generally. If you read reviews at carreview.com and carpoint.com, you'll see less Cl-s owners posting issues about rattles, noise, squeaks etc then the Tl-s owners. I would stick to the Cl-s also b/c theres a lot less of them on the road then their TL brethen.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:19 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by unsure
Th only reson he wants to switch is b/c the TL-S can be had w/ a body-kit

But seriously, despite the slight tranny issues w/the Cl-s (also present on the TL-S), the Cl-s has been less problematic than the Tl-s's generally. If you read reviews at carreview.com and carpoint.com, you'll see less Cl-s owners posting issues about rattles, noise, squeaks etc then the Tl-s owners. I would stick to the Cl-s also b/c theres a lot less of them on the road then their TL brethen.
funny, isn't it??? in a shorter period of time, the TL's clearly have made their mark here on Long Island as opposed to the CL's which are much more seldom seen...it's nice to see a CL around the island from time to time
Old 03-04-2002, 10:29 AM
Drifting

I was considering trading in my CLS for a TLS. I love the OEM bodykit and its alot easier for other passengers in the back to get in and out. I am still thinking about it but i doubt it will happen. Good luck bro
Old 03-04-2002, 10:48 AM
JOE
Instructor

For the person who posted that the TLS is faster than the CLS... What are have you been smoking lately?? Hmm, let's see, same engine, same tranny, same interior, same suspension, wait, the TL being 4 doors is a little heavier than the CL... How do you logically come to an unfounded conclusion that the TL is faster??? Maybe you think the bodykit makes it more aerodynamic???

If your going to trade in your CLS for a TLS based on a bodykit your pretty sad.. How minor is that?? I'm pretty upset that Acura won't come out with a CL bodykit but I'm not going to trade in my car because of it.. Some of you guys crack me up..
Old 03-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Racer

Forget a TLS, 300Z you spend like 2 grand maybe for a new one, and you get RWD true sports car handling, retro interior, and easy moddability( like my word?) IF speed, handling, is your thing the 300z is a much better option, but if you're going for a cool grocery getter, get TL-S.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Ultimac
Forget a TLS, 300Z you spend like 2 grand maybe for a new one, and you get RWD true sports car handling, retro interior, and easy moddability( like my word?) IF speed, handling, is your thing the 300z is a much better option, but if you're going for a cool grocery getter, get TL-S.
AMEN bro!

get rid of the rattle box... I have no desire to spend money on another ratteling plastic interior... :-(

however Im still a bit skeptical on 1st year cars now. So I dont think I'd get the Nissan 1st year either. But I'd probably get it 2nd year.

LOL, this car is obviously the fastest ride some of the people have owned on here. By the comments I read. Of course some people own faster rides... ;-)

This car is quick, but its a turd in a Sports comparison. i.e. camaro/mustang. And dont compare it to the basic mustang. Go race a Cobra.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:43 AM
O.G.

ok, we can have the same exact argument with the new Altima, which is a family sedan, but it's 0-60 in 5.8 seconds...faster than the TLS...i personally don't care that a sedan can beat my car...i look at the overall package...a car has to LOOK sporty as well as act sporty to qualify as a sporty car...the TLS and Altima are NOT sporty looking...ground effects on the TLS is a feeble attempt to look sporty...sedans simply do not have the lines and curves to look sporty...coupes do...period.
Sorry but the CL-S DO NOT look sporty at all, especially that rear end.:P

"ground effects on the TL-S is a feeble attempt to look sporty"...you gotta be kidding me. The TL-S with a bodykit is off the hook!

BTW, what's with the hatred towards the TL-S?
Old 03-04-2002, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

"ground effects on the TL-S is a feeble attempt to look sporty"...you gotta be kidding me. The TL-S with a bodykit is off the hook!

ya really, I wish they would have been available when I bought my CLS. I would have purchased one instead. Guess when some people think the sky is yellow, they just never lookup to really check ;-)

Sad, how over rated the CLS is as a sports car on this thread. Its nice... But it's a TOURING CAR! hehe ;-)
Old 03-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's not so much that I hate the TLS it's more that I simply hate Blackshadow :pfawk: How ya been bhin?
Old 03-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

I like the style of the TL, but I’ve only ever used my back seat like two or three times in the last 2-years.
No need for a door back there for me.

Shawn S
Old 03-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Quieter and faster? That is a bunch of BS. I drove both before buying my CL-S. The TL is heavier, and a hair slower. The CL-S is defintely alot more sporty. Refined, they are identical cars, no differences.

Originally posted by Astroboy

Old 03-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Per insurance companies. The CL-S is a sports coupe. That is why insurance is a little higher than the 4 door TL-S. It does look much sportier. You are just biased.

Old 03-04-2002, 12:09 PM
Racer

I agree that the tls with the body kit looks better than the cls. If I had been to this website before I bought the cls, I would have gotten the tls instead.

If I thought I could switch without getting creamed on my cls, I would in a heartbeat. Get out of the 01 cls and into a 03 tls with navi, bodykit, and a 6 speed...... hmmmm.... The only thing better in the cls imo is the perforated leather seats.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:21 PM
'Cooter

like i said before, personal preference...the car looks more sporty with a spoiler, which many people here have

as far as the ground effects go, i got 2 questions:
1. does having ground effects any way change the fact that the TL is a 4 door family sedan??
2. ever occur to u that the CL is sporty enough to NOT NEED ground effects???

i don't have hatred towards the TL's...i love the TL's...they're great cars, for families...the features they offer are second to none for any family...i just question people's logic in converting from the CL to the TL...sure, it's your money, but in my opinion, some people's rationales for converting are a bit illogical...if u have a family, that's logical and understandable which i already pointed out earlier...i personally think the power walk-in feature is like a really small price to pay for buying a coupe and not worth spending thousands more between trading in the CL and buying the TL just for 2 more doors...ridiculous hassale just for 2 doors, u know??
Old 03-04-2002, 12:56 PM
O.G.

2. ever occur to u that the CL is sporty enough to NOT NEED ground effects???

So how do you explained that the majority of people on this board are complaining about NOT having a bodykit?
Old 03-04-2002, 12:58 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by eclipse23
It's not so much that I hate the TLS it's more that I simply hate Blackshadow :pfawk: How ya been bhin?
:pfawk: Sup ernie :pfawk:
Old 03-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

So how do you explained that the majority of people on this board are complaining about NOT having a bodykit?
I guess the feeling is, its NOT FAIR (in a 4-year old kids tone of voice ) cause TLs have it and need it less than the CLSes. So if Honda made one for TLs, why not the CLS.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

SWOOSH....and a three-pointer for BlackShadow

Shawn S
Old 03-04-2002, 01:01 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by BigPimp

I guess the feeling is, its NOT FAIR (in a 4-year old kids tone of voice ) cause TLs have it and need it less than the CLSes. So if Honda made one for TLs, why not the CLS.
Cause maybe Honda thinks that the TLs are more sportier looking than the CLs.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Cause maybe Honda thinks that the TLs are more sportier looking than the CLs.
Neh, honda thinks its more cost-effective to use an old body kit from the 2nd gen TL on a 3rd gen TL. Simple as that.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:03 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by Shawn S
SWOOSH....and a three-pointer for BlackShadow

Shawn S
So do I win a million dollars?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

And ya know, we dont know if the Bodykit is not coming for the CLS because every type slow in the Acura line up has one except the CLS, so it might be coming for all you know.
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
unless you feel like losing your ass once again on the depreciation, buy an MDX...I like the CL and TL better but after looking at the resale on the MDX vs Cl I'm thinking I should have bought one:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/acura/index.html#cl
O.G.

Originally posted by BigPimp

Neh, honda thinks its more cost-effective to use an old body kit from the 2nd gen TL on a 3rd gen TL. Simple as that.
So why fix something if it's not broken?

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my CLS for a TLS