Thinking of selling my 03 Six Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:26 PM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Thinking of selling my 03 Six Speed

So, I've had the car for almost 8 years now. I bought it as a CPO with 52,000 miles on it in 06. Now has 135,000. It's been a great car, flawless really, but I'm ready to move on. Looking at getting a newer RL, or and Audi A4...Want something that's AWD. Bought a Boxster S a few years ago so now that's my toy. What do you guys think my car's worth? I would rather it go to someone who is specifically looking for an 03 6 speed because they understand exactly what the car is. Below are the details of it. It's virtually stock.

03 Type S, Black on parchment No Nav. As I understand there were only 258 of these in that color combo without Nav.

I have 18" Konig wheels with new rubber. Also have the original wheels to go with it. It has never been in an accident. There are a few rock chips on the front as to be expected with a 10+ year old car but it drives perfectly and has always been babied. Leather shows some wear but I am always mindful of the bolsters when I get in and try not to rub them so wear is minimal on those. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and change the oil every 3000. Oh, just changed the brakes for the first time. That should tell you how aggressive a driver I am. Clutch is original and solid. But again, I don't drive this like I stole it. What do you guys think? I'm in central Illinois if anyone is interested. May be looking to get rid of it before summer.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of selling my 03 Six Speed-imag0251.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Good luck selling yours.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 AM
06 NBP 6MT TL

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
You could also try posting in the Black Market section, to increase the possible number of viewers!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Well... I just bought one in Chicagoland last year with 125k miles for $6k. Yours is more rare and you have the wheels and I am guessing it is slightly better condition. My interior is like new but a few more exterior blemishes than I prefer.

I would say somewhere in the $7k range, maybe more or less depending if you've done the timing and water pump. I am a fan of advertising for about 15% more than your lowest number since everyone expects some room and anything more may turn off interest.

If you would separate your 18's I may be interested (pm me) since I am fairly close.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:05 PM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Originally Posted by Ponto
Well... I just bought one in Chicagoland last year with 125k miles for $6k. Yours is more rare and you have the wheels and I am guessing it is slightly better condition. My interior is like new but a few more exterior blemishes than I prefer.

I would say somewhere in the $7k range, maybe more or less depending if you've done the timing and water pump. I am a fan of advertising for about 15% more than your lowest number since everyone expects some room and anything more may turn off interest.

If you would separate your 18's I may be interested (pm me) since I am fairly close.
I have not done the timing belt or water pump yet. The car has been garage kept its whole life and I'm just the 2nd owner. My opinion on timing belts is that the interval for changing them is kind of a fallacy. We changed the timing belt on my son's Civic when it had 252,000 miles on it and it didn't even look to be in bad shape at all. That said, I understand that the consequences of not changing it and a belt going are high.

As for the wheels, I just put new rubber on them so I'll likely just keep them with the car. Think it'll make it easier to sell.

Thanks for the input guys. Thought this site was completely dead.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my '03 since '04 and I'm just deciding to do a lot of mods. It just turned 80,000 miles and isn't driven that far every day. So I guess it's worth it.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Asian Persuasion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I would change the water pump and timing belt before you sell it. People like cars that have that major service done already
The following users liked this post:
CleanCLS6 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03sixer
I have not done the timing belt or water pump yet. The car has been garage kept its whole life and I'm just the 2nd owner. My opinion on timing belts is that the interval for changing them is kind of a fallacy. We changed the timing belt on my son's Civic when it had 252,000 miles on it and it didn't even look to be in bad shape at all. That said, I understand that the consequences of not changing it and a belt going are high.

As for the wheels, I just put new rubber on them so I'll likely just keep them with the car. Think it'll make it easier to sell.

Thanks for the input guys. Thought this site was completely dead.
I bought my CLS6 from a meticulous Doctor who traded her in after owning the car for 11 years with a factory installed SuperCharger package from Comptech....

Suffice to say even as babied and immaculate as the car was when he traded her in...even he replaced all belts, hoses, seals (and mechanically worn parts) including the timing belt and water pump (among other things)

IF you decide not to replace those much needed services (especially at 135,000 miles) be prepared to either be low-balled accordingly or have those service costs deducted from the purchase price you are selling your ride for.

Considering how well this car is engineered I do understand how you may feel that the timing belt wouldn't need to be replaced but it would be (IMO) considered disingenuous to sell your car stating to the prospective buyer that he/she wouldn't "need" to based on your reasoning (even if they "should" know what they are buying) or getting themselves into.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

I got the message. Just ordered a timing belt kit and water pump. Thanks guys.