Thinking about nitrous for 6 speed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about nitrous for 6 speed...

Thinking about ordering and installing the Zex nitrous kit. Any comments, concerns? I am seriously thinking about ordering this, because for 500 you can't beat the performance boost.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Team Owner

Well.....Except for possibly blowing up the car, burning out the clutch and voiding a perfectly good warranty I can’t think of anything else right now.

Sorry to be so negative, but I would NEVER consider doing NOS to a car like the CL unless is was out of warranty and had 60,000+ on the clock.

Shawn S
Old 07-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S

Sorry to be so negative, but I would NEVER consider doing NOS to a car like the CL unless is was out of warranty and had 60,000+ on the clock.

Shawn S
Or if u leased the car and had abt 1.5 months left on the car.....then go ahead and have some fun.....hmmm 100shot wouldn't be a problem

My friends do it all the time 2 their cars lol
Old 07-12-2002, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

I understand that there is some risk of damage being done, but isn't the risk a hell of a lot lower for nitrous then it is for a supercharger? If you feel this way about nitrous then I assume you feel that way about a turbo or supercharger as well, for our cars at least?
Old 07-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Nitrous is a different animal and is very safe when all precautions are taken. But due to the nature of it, basically dumping a higher concentration of O2 into the engine, there are risk factors outside of the increased power aspect.

A blower, be it i turbo or SC, just forces more outside air into the motor. It does this really only when you get on it. When at idle or cruise it is operating as a NA engine just like a nitrous vehicle would. But when you get on it there is a power build and most of the time if there are any problems you can get off of it before damage occurs.

In the case of nitrous, you get an instantaneous power increase once the solenoids open. This has a greater jarring effect which is harder on the car than the power increase by a turbo or SC. But more importantly there is less chance to back off before damage occurs.

Such as the case in a bad fuel solenoid, once that nitrous solenoid open but there is no added fuel, you are pretty much burnt by the time you notice it. There are safe guards to prevent such an issue but most do go to this added level.

Just IMO of course.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by CrazyHorse
I understand that there is some risk of damage being done, but isn't the risk a hell of a lot lower for nitrous then it is for a supercharger? If you feel this way about nitrous then I assume you feel that way about a turbo or supercharger as well, for our cars at least?
Well what Shawn said is true. If you abuse the nitrous, u are in effect abusing ur car and plus many peeps do not know how 2 use nitrous properly. However if you are smart abt how and whn 2 use nitrous you will be ok.

But, heres the thing, I would be very very hesitant 2 put nitrous on an auto CL b/c of all the tranny issues... and actually would recommend not doing so....However, personally I wouldn't mind putting a nice 75 shot on the 6speed, but u will def. fry ur car's clutch in no time. Once u upgrade the clutch, u would be in business and lay some serious ass-whooping down.

BTW, both Hondas and Acuras techs have told me our engines (j-block) can handle 100 shot w/o a problem, its just the fawking auto tranny thats horrible
Old 07-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Well I do have the 6spd, but I didn't plan on doing the clutch, or even the 100shot. I was thinking more of the 55 or 75 shot, which is still a considerable improvement. Also, I was going to go with the Zex kit, since they take a lot of the guesswork out of it. I am very new to the nitrous thing, so don't yell at me for anything I said or say!!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

What I am looking for on this thread are advantages and disadvantages to both nitrous and superchargers/turbos. As well as your opinion on which one is better. Horrible subject I guess, sorry.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Well then, IMO, a turbo or SC is better. The extra power is always there without the need to flip of a switch. Plus, no worry of the turbo or SC needing to be refilled after ten to fifteen runs.

However, this is a significant difference in upfront costs.

But if you are planning on serious driving, say at the track (rad course, not a drag strip) or serious rural excitment the choice is clear. Nitrous is only good for short bursts but a turbo or SC can let you run hard all day long.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Scal, thanks, that is more along the lines of what I was looking for.

The Zex kit has a cool feature, although they all might work like this, in that it only kicks on at full throttle. It does have a switch, but my understanding of how it works is that you can have the switch on, but as long as you don't floor it, the nitrous is not used.

In terms of risks, are they pretty much equal? Assuming of course you don't drive like a monkey and they are both installed correctly.

Also, let me say that there are 3 reasons as to why I am considering nitrous and not the supercharger/turbo.
1) PRICE
2) Availability
3) PRICE

Again, I am extremely new to this, so correct me if I am wrong and be gentle!!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
Well.....Except for possibly blowing up the car, burning out the clutch and voiding a perfectly good warranty I can’t think of anything else right now.

Shawn S

LMAO, ok man.... Mabye if YOU set it up. It's no different that running a turbo or a supercharger. They all just cram more air into the engine. If you run a turbo to lean you'll do the same chit to the engine, same with a supercharger.

BLOW up the car? Do you think nitrous is explosive? LMAO

Mabye you mean run too lean? and burn up a piston right? blow up the car, NO.

Only reason that is, is because your GAS is also used to cool your pistons. If you run too lean you burn up all of the gas leaving nothing to cool the pistons. Piston will then overheat and blow a hole in it. Or just disform itself.

You have watched too many movies...
Old 07-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Well I do have the 6spd, but I didn't plan on doing the clutch, or even the 100shot. I was thinking more of the 55 or 75 shot, which is still a considerable improvement. Also, I was going to go with the Zex kit, since they take a lot of the guesswork out of it. I am very new to the nitrous thing, so don't yell at me for anything I said or say!!
I'ts on my "to-buy" list too

Just not yet...
Old 07-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

And finally some method to this madness..

Zig, mind if I ask why not yet? Money reasons or other car concerns? Any reason why I should wait? I have 3k miles now. Have you heard of Zex, anything good or bad? I have only heard good.

And thanks for the reply, and knowledge on the subject.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: And finally some method to this madness..

Zig, mind if I ask why not yet? Money reasons or other car concerns? Any reason why I should wait? I have 3k miles now. Have you heard of Zex, anything good or bad? I have only heard good.

And thanks for the reply, and knowledge on the subject.
Well $$ for now, I need a new SS prop on my boat. And a few other things for my floating money pit 1st. And I'm looking to get a condo or a house. I'm sick of renting.

ZEX is a good system. Just make sure you don't hit the rev limiter while you are at WOT with it on. It will mess up the fuel/air ratio.

ZEX is excellent because it only turns on at WOT. I think it's great. A wet system is a little bit safer. But don't let anyone fool you into thinking N2O is bad. Granted a engine built/designed for it would a plus (forged low compression pistons). But a 50-75shot isn't going to be any worse than installing the CT supercharger if the N2O is used correctly.

heh, I almost put NO2, lol that would be a polymer with those bonds right? be Nitrogen dioxide I think, LOL, definetly don't want to spray that chit in your engine...
Old 07-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SiGGy
They all just cram more air into the engine.

If you run a turbo to lean you'll do the same chit to the engine, same with a supercharger.
Not absolutely correct. A turbo or SC does force more air into the cylinders which makes more O2 available for combustion. However, that concentration of O2 stays at around 21% Ntirous increases the O2 concentration up to about 37%. As mentioned, in both cases more fuel is needed.

But with a turbo or SC there are normaly warning signs that there is a fuel delivery issue such as part throttle pinging or even SES light due to increase fuel trim values since the fuel delivery is the same regardless of throttle input.

With nitrous it is hit or miss when it comes to fueling, there is no 'middle-of-the-road'. If it engages and there is a fueling issue, there is a good chance damage has occured before you notice it and can back off.

But when done correctly, it sure is a fun power adder!!
Old 07-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by scalbert

Not absolutely correct. A turbo or SC does force more air into the cylinders which makes more O2 available for combustion. However, that concentration of O2 stays at around 21% Ntirous increases the O2 concentration up to about 37%. As mentioned, in both cases more fuel is needed.
Granted the N2O is cooled and lot more efficent, hence a lot denser air.

Still just cramming more air in the hole

He is 100% correct in what he's saying. Turbos/superchargers heat the air (A LOT) when they compress it. Hence the need for a intercooler. N2O is chilled comming out of the bottle, and *VERY* dense!
Old 07-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

The Zex kit has a cool feature, although they all might work like this, in that it only kicks on at full throttle. It does have a switch, but my understanding of how it works is that you can have the switch on, but as long as you don't floor it, the nitrous is not used.
Most kits do work off of a throttle position switch, either a mechanical one (old school) or an electrical one (which reads the TPS signal and closes at a certain level). You also normally have a arming/engage switch which activates the system.

You flip the switch to arm it and then when you go WOT the system opens up.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SiGGy

He is 100% correct in what he's saying. Turbos/superchargers heat the air when they compress it. Hence the need for a intercooler. N2O is chilled comming out of the bottle, and *VERY* dense!
Can't get away from Boyle's Law, nor would we want to, I like my air conditioning...

Yea, when the nitrous is sprayed it comes out at like -127 degrees F, or something close to that.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

But I know I'll be slapping a blower on my 6-Speed, doubtful but hopefully in time for some fall mountain driving.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

Thanks to both of you guys for your input.

Just got off the phone with Pete from Park Avenue Acura, and Joe from Comptech, and here is the latest.

Comptech said Supercharger at end of this year (December).

Pete said if they install SC it is COVERED under warranty. So that is one major advantage to SC.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

What about both supercharger & N2O?