Thermoblok Spacer on SCed J32

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermoblok Spacer on SCed J32

We couldnt install both spacers as the alignment would be too far off with the elbow, so the Intake manifold spacer was only installed. For NA applications, you wont have to worry about alignment issues!
So now there are at least 2 sced cars with the thermoblok installed, meaning that it is possible! Initial installation seemed pretty straightforward. The TB spacer is much easier to install since it does not require messing with the IM at all. I have it for sale still, price is $35 shipped, check black market thread or pm me if interested.
With only the IM spacer, there was noticeable gain in midrange power. The car simply pulls more eagerly through 3k-5k rpms. The power in vtec is not so noticeable. I estimate there is only a few hp gain at the wheels in the vtec range. Tq should be alot stronger, 5-10 at the wheels. I will verify this when i redyno in a few months.
Without the spacer, i would rarely spin on the 2-1 downshift. And if i did, it would be momentary, i would catch traction, and go.
With the spacer, i have never been able to do the same downshift and not get loads of wheelspin. However, as expected with any cooling mod, the efficiency of the spacer's efforts decreases after a few wot runs. This was verified when allmotor and i first took the car out. The first two runs, we would get lots of wheelspin. The third/4th run, allmotor predicted that we wouldnt see the same reaction and was right. It wouldnt spin anymore as it did before. The cooling benefit had slowly depreciated, until we gave the car a min or so of rest.
Overall, even without the TB spacer, there was noticeable improvement in power. I am satisfied with this product, and for the price, would highly recommend it to anyone.
I cant compare it to another mod as it works differently, but this thing should make your low to mid range improve similarly to how a CAI makes your high end improve.
From now on, the bolt ons should be I/H/TS/E! At 100 bucks, u cant go wrong!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple, short, nice review
Old 05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car was definateley quicker... it basically restricts heat-soak of the intake manifold. However, there is a good amount of radiant heat while the car is stationary.

It won't fit well with the TB spacer installed as the 90-degree beng out of the S/C will not
line very well at all. If you would want both spacers, the bend has to be cut and re-welded. I don't think the benefit of the TB spacer is that much at all. Most of the heat comes from the block->cylinder-heads->primary-runners->manifold<->TB. If you remove the coolant-lines from the TB is it only as hot as the manifold; so nothing to be gained by the TB spacer.

I think they throw in the TB spacer so that you don't feel jipped, cuz the entire kit probably costs them $30 including the bolts etc. However, for the $100 retail price its still worth it.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice review